“Brilliant!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bazaruto Island
London
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I can only say great things about this resort and the island of Bazaruto.
Firstly though, it is a journey to get there and Vilankulos airport is certainly not the greatest, it was a bit chaotic when we arrived, but you tend to expect this being a remote area in Mozambique with a few lodges around. If you come with an open mind to that, it won’t bother you as much.

The short flight over to Indigo Bay from Vilankulos was breathtaking, I had never seen water that colour before, have your camera on standby. The island itself is beautiful with massive dunes.

The resort has about 35 – 40 chalets/villas (chalets are divine) but well spread out and it felt as though we had the whole beach to ourselves. The staff are well trained and very friendly.

The food – This really was a highlight and exceeded our expectations considerably, the 5 course meal we had in particular was outstanding and one of the best I have ever had.
Breakfast was excellent and though lunch had a limited menu, it was still all very good.
The restaurant staff were well trained and we enjoyed them all.

There are plenty of activities, the horse ride up the dunes was fantastic. The Spa is a definite must, the views alone are spectacular.

All in all a holiday of a lifetime and we hope to return again sometime in the future. Need to start saving though.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank splurgeout

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Rushden
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We went to Indigo Bay on our honeymoon, and were a little disappointed. We chose to go here as we thought it would be really special, and for the price you would expect it to be. Everything is very expensive. The drinks are not included, and it is $3 for a can of soft drink!
Breakfast is a buffet and is cold and not very nice. I opted for the croissants after the first day, but they were not cooked, and so were doughy in the middle. After this I decided against breakfast. Lunch was pretty good as it was something different each day and there was a menu to chose from. Dinner was the same EVERY night. Bbqd fish. It was prawns, lobster, squid and a line caught fish. It was always over cooked and over salted. The prawns were the best thing, but they ran out after a few days.
The waiting staff were pretty good (if a little cheeky - they asked to be tipped in cash), and the starters were generally good. We decided in the end to just eat the starters and none of the main.
There is not a lot to do here, which makes it a great place if you want to do nothing, but there is NOTHING going on in the evening. The things that you can do are generally all chargeable and very expensive ($120 for 2 dives).
The diving was definitely the best thing about this place, although we did have a close call involving a bad skipper and a huge wave. I saw eagle rays, a reef shark and the usual reef fish. I want snorkeling with a whale shark (amazing) and we saw dolphins and a dugong from the boat.
Our room was fantastic. We were lucky enough to get upgraded to a bay view villa for next to nothing, so we had a plunge pool which was lovely. Everyone said that the beach chalets were very nice, but I didn't see one myself.
If you are thinking of going here, I would recommend that you go to Mauritius instead. You get better service, more friendly staff, more for your money and in my opinion it is a much nicer island.
If you do go here, watch out for your luggage allowance. It's 20kg per person including hand luggage and the scales at Vilanculos conveniently are out by 3kg, making your bags 3kgs heavier than they are, but if you're polite you can bribe the officials!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pipster_b
UK
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights. Enjoyed sailing, horse riding and swimming. The high standard of cooking exceeded our expectations. Beautiful location, friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I took my husband to Indigo Bay at the end of a touring holiday of South Africa for his 50th birthday. Whilst I can't fault the location (amazing) the room (beautiful) unfortunately we were let down by the standards of the food (great if you like barbecue food tasting of petrol). It wasn't as if the staff couldn't provide better food (they managed to do it for a group of visiting south african travel agents) but they chose not to as they hotel wasn't full and it was an easier option for them. I did ask the Manager about this but didn't get a reply and didn't see sight nor sound from him again for the rest of the vacation (which was for 11 days). When you pay the sort of money I did for this vacation, to eat nothing but barbecue food for 11 days was not good. I assume it has to be better when the hotel is busier, but I couldn't recommend the hotel on this basis, it spoilt what had up until that point been an amazing experience for both myself and my husband.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank Jellybean7788
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Indigo Bay is one of the most beautiful beach resorts we have been to, considering the fact that we have been to Mauritius, the Comores, Zanzibar and Phuket...

Adding to the the feeling of exclusivity is the small chartered flight from Vilankulos to the doorstep of the resort! It also provides a great view of the island and fantastic photo opps...

The privacy is unparalled - you really feel like you are the first person to have walked that part of the beach and that you are alone with you special someone even though the resort is near capacity.

The activities are also well organised and good fun. The food is amazing.

In our opinion is is one of the most romantic places on earth (definitely not a family holiday)...maybe a bit biased as we did get engaged there!

• Liked — Privacy & luxury right on the beach
  • Disliked — Far walk to lunch/dinner/pools
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Miami
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Quiet, tranquil and soothing. Highly recommend...staff is extremely polite, although sometimes you have to make requests more then once to get things done. However, it is difficult to care too much when you are in such a beautiful place. Truly a spectacular place to spend your vacation.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Indigo Bay for 6 nights as part of our 2 week honeymoon. We really liked Indigo Bay and they made us feel very special on our honeymoon.

The resort is quite big. It has 2 pools, 3 restaurants, tennis courts, a mini golf course and a magnificent Spa with fantastic views! I believe it is the biggest resort in Mozambique and wouldn't have normally chosen such a place, but were transferred here after our original hotel 'had problems'! When I say big, it actually only has 44 rooms and can hold a maximum of 114 guests, but it was still bigger than where we would normally stay. We were lucky though, as it was their low season, there couldn't have been any more than about 50 guests there, and it often felt as though there were more staff than guests!

The staff were extremely attentive (A little too, if that is at all possible!) and it got a little annoying after a while, when they would run to your table, just to pull out your chair for you...but I can hardly complain about that! The only real complaint I would have about the staff, is that they were quite soulless and I felt that they were just going through the motions.

We had booked a beach chalet, but were upgraded on arrival to a Luxury Bay View Villa, which was just incredible. We had a massive room with a great view, a massive terrace with a plunge pool...we couldn't believe our luck!

As we were on honeymoon they gave us a few 'treats'. They left gifts on our bed on the 1st night and we had a romantic sunset cruise on a Mozambican Dhow. When we got back to our room from our cruise, we found it lit with candles, petals scattered over the room and a hot bath filled with petals!! It was lovely. That was then followed by a private dinner and more small gifts. It did really make it special!

Overall, it was a great place to stay for a special holiday, but it is on the pricey side to get there (Drinks when you are there aren't too bad, about the same as UK prices). It's a great place if you get bored easily, as there are so many facilities. The Spa is fantastic too and I had the best ever back massage (And I've had a few!!!)

• Liked — The room was fantastic
  • Disliked — Some of the staff were just going through the motions.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Vilanculos
Azura Benguerra Island
Azura Benguerra Island
#1 of 2 in Benguerra Island

Been to Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort? Share your experiences!