Pestana Bazaruto Lodge All Inclusive
Anantara Bazaruto Island Resort(Bazaruto Island)
$1,056
$872
Priceline
  • Pool
Bahia Mar Boutique Hotel(Vilanculos)
$269
Hotels.com
Casa Babi(Vilanculos)
$189
$172
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Mozambique is divine and Bazaruto sure is a wonderful place to start discovering it, even if you're not a diving fanatic.

We had great expectations about the island but weren't expecting much of the hotel. What a mistake! It sure exceeded the expectactions.

But before describing the hotel, a little note on the plane trip to get to Bazaruto. What an amazing view. Absolutely gorgeous. Use your camera!

The hotel is composed of 40 (more or less) bungalows that are spread along the beach facing the sea. Please note that there are 2 or 3 bungalows that have no direct sea view, so please confirm that you are booked a front bungalow.

The bungalows are very spacious and tidy. It has a large bath and an outside shower. We became fan of showing at moonlight, it was really romantic. The rooms are provided with a mosquito net and mosquito repelent if you happen to have forgotten yours. Every bungalow has it own sunbathing beds (at the varanda and on the beach). Really private romantic and peaceful...

Food is fantastic - forget about your diet and enjoy the divine desserts. We recommend the chocolate roll ('salame de chocolate') and the bread pudding. The main dishes are also good and tasty but don't expect for the variety we get on an international hotel like Riu or Iberostar. But it sure is better. The less positive thing is the bread that has no salt at all, but we have been to South Africa and it was the same.

Be prepared for low tide... it is really low. The sea simply disappears! But it provides such a nice landscape that no one cares if they have to walk for 15 minutes to get to a 'normal' beach. But if you prefer the hotel provides a two-times a day transfer to that beach.

On the way you might cross some local people that will try to sell you thing or ask for your t-shirt or shoes. But it happens everywhere, so don't worry.

The hotel provides a computer and free internet access. It is not the fastest internet connection but no need to rush!

We spent 5 nights at Bazaruto because we were really in need of rest and peace. The normal stay is 2/3 nights.

We recommend Bazaruto and this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Arb_1978
Reviewed February 27, 2010

The first time I went to Pestana Bazaruto Lodge was in 2004 and I have been going there. I love to be there, the staff ist´s very friendly, the rooms are very nice, the beachs are magnificent and food... Oh God was so good! I love Jeremia´s cooking!
I love being at Bazaruto because it is a place where I can concile the rest with the fun, because you combine desert beaches with lots of different activities to do.
I travel a lot, but if there´s a place where I love to be since I am very young it´s Bazaruto.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Arrived via a small plane. The 20 minute trip was so scenic, with perfect views of turquoise water below. Our room was right on the seafront. The room was lovely, but I would have liked a fridge. Absolutely loved the outdoor shower area and the generous bathroom space. The bedroom area was cozy, but nowhere to sit, but on the bed.

The tide variations are amazing. Most days the sea went out for miles.We walked the whole length of the sand bar. It took about 3 hours but was so peaceful.

We did not go in the pool as it was not very inviting. It was a greyish colour. I don't see why pools should always be blue, but it does make them more inviting to swim in perhaps? The pool was not dirty, just a strange choice of tiling and materials. The pool is also lots of curved shapes, so not much good for serious swimming either!

We did swim a bit in the sea, when it was there. However, it is very shallow for a long way.

The set table in the restuarant was a bit annoying. I usually like to choose where I sit. There were not too many guests there, so I suppose it enabled the staff to organize things better? The food is a limited buffet and the rest cooked to order. We enjoyed it every day. the chef is keen to please and will do things to your specification.

The snorkelling was disappointing. Possibly due to the time of year, according to the staff. We only went once. There were some interesting fish, but not many of them. The coral was mainly grey. I am sure there were some better places to snorkel in the area. We just went on the free trip around the corner. All other ( pay for ) trips were really expensive, so we avoided them.

Some days you could not get any signal on your mobile phone, which cut you off from the world a bit! The internet connection was a bit hit and miss at times. This is an isolated spot and sometimes it was very isolated!

We had 4 days here after travelling through Zambia and Botswana. It was perfect as a chill out, wind down kind of place.I would not want a longer stay though, as I would get bored. Despite liking the place a lot, would not return to this area. I would return to Mozambique, but would try another area.

So, I would recommend this for anyone who wants the desert island escape experience, with just enough comfort and luxury to make it comfortable. Just stay about 4 days and it is fairly close to perfect!

• Stayed: August 2009
2  Thank gotogothere
Reviewed August 23, 2009

A spectacular 20 minute flight from Vilanculos takes you to Bazaruto Island. On arrival a tractor and trailer transports guests along a sandy road to the main lodge where you are met with a cool drink and garland.
We chose a superior room located right on the beach equipped with its own sun loungers. The room was immaculate, although a second chair in the room would have been welcome. The bath and outside shower were more than adequate together with the large dressing area.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, if not a little too eager to clear your plate at meals times, which may have been due to the extremely low occupancy at the time of our stay.
Each meal is buffet style, with a fairly good selection. Main courses were cooked to order from an a la carte menu.
As previously reported low tide does leave sand flats/pools in front of the Lodge, which we personally didn't find too much of a problem. A short walk takes you to Dolphin and Lighthouse Bays with their pristine sand and fairly deserted beaches, together with excellent snorkelling opportunities. The lodge does have trips on offer, which we actually found quite expensive.
The beach boys can be a little distracting, but a polite comment is all that is required - they have to make a living somehow.
All in all Bazaruto has a huge amount going for it. HOWEVER, as has been noted previously on Trip Advisor, there are still issues with guests experiencing stomach upsets, myself and 4 other guests included, which obviously spoilt our stay, (the worst symptoms I have ever experienced)! We have been in touch with the lodge via our Travel Agent since our return and have been advised this was 'due to a recurring virus passed on through touch'- unfortunately, their full explanation raises more questions than it provides answers - I am not convinced! Subsequent correspondence with both the Lodge and the Company, have, as previously experienced by the last reviewer, fallen on deaf ears and I suspect will never be resolved, which is disappointing as we had an 8 night stay at this resort - 5 days of which saw me too ill to eat anything!.

Come on Pestana, you are charging plenty to stay at Bazaruto, so make it the idyllic retreat it should be!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Instantly and consistently disappointing would be the only way i can describe this place. The location is terrible, the rooms are average at best, the food is well below average and the staff are unhelpful and unproffesional.
There was no help from the staff when we checked in, no food or option of food provided. There was nothing for children to do unless a huge amount of money was paid for excursions. Even the furniture at this hotel is very cheap and tatty. The location is wrong as the tide would go out for miles highlighting this hotel for the mess that it is.
The next morning we decided that being charged the amount we were for this excuse of a hotel is bordering on criminal and we decided to check out and stay elsewhere for the remainder of our holiday. I spoke to the manager and explained that this hotel is not suitable for us in the nicest way possible. He said we will have to pay for the whole stay - 5 days - but he would give us cash for 4 days, so we would only pay for the night we were there. We paid by credit card, then were told there was no cash but to leave our bank details and we would be refunded. When i wrote my bank details, the manager - louis erasmus - also asked for my pin number. At this point i realised i was about to be ripped off. This manager now does not return calls and has blocked my emails so i have to go through the pestana parent group to get my money back.
For me this hotel is the worst place I have stayed. It should not be called a lodge or a hotel nor should it have the cheek to charge unfortunate travellers who stay there. I would not recommend this place to anyone i wished to speak to again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family