“Isolated scenic paradise”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bazaruto Island
Hampshire England
“Isolated scenic paradise”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Arrived via a small plane. The 20 minute trip was so scenic, with perfect views of turquoise water below. Our room was right on the seafront. The room was lovely, but I would have liked a fridge. Absolutely loved the outdoor shower area and the generous bathroom space. The bedroom area was cozy, but nowhere to sit, but on the bed.

The tide variations are amazing. Most days the sea went out for miles.We walked the whole length of the sand bar. It took about 3 hours but was so peaceful.

We did not go in the pool as it was not very inviting. It was a greyish colour. I don't see why pools should always be blue, but it does make them more inviting to swim in perhaps? The pool was not dirty, just a strange choice of tiling and materials. The pool is also lots of curved shapes, so not much good for serious swimming either!

We did swim a bit in the sea, when it was there. However, it is very shallow for a long way.

The set table in the restuarant was a bit annoying. I usually like to choose where I sit. There were not too many guests there, so I suppose it enabled the staff to organize things better? The food is a limited buffet and the rest cooked to order. We enjoyed it every day. the chef is keen to please and will do things to your specification.

The snorkelling was disappointing. Possibly due to the time of year, according to the staff. We only went once. There were some interesting fish, but not many of them. The coral was mainly grey. I am sure there were some better places to snorkel in the area. We just went on the free trip around the corner. All other ( pay for ) trips were really expensive, so we avoided them.

Some days you could not get any signal on your mobile phone, which cut you off from the world a bit! The internet connection was a bit hit and miss at times. This is an isolated spot and sometimes it was very isolated!

We had 4 days here after travelling through Zambia and Botswana. It was perfect as a chill out, wind down kind of place.I would not want a longer stay though, as I would get bored. Despite liking the place a lot, would not return to this area. I would return to Mozambique, but would try another area.

So, I would recommend this for anyone who wants the desert island escape experience, with just enough comfort and luxury to make it comfortable. Just stay about 4 days and it is fairly close to perfect!

• Stayed August 2009
2 Thank gotogothere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
UK
Reviewed August 23, 2009

A spectacular 20 minute flight from Vilanculos takes you to Bazaruto Island. On arrival a tractor and trailer transports guests along a sandy road to the main lodge where you are met with a cool drink and garland.
We chose a superior room located right on the beach equipped with its own sun loungers. The room was immaculate, although a second chair in the room would have been welcome. The bath and outside shower were more than adequate together with the large dressing area.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, if not a little too eager to clear your plate at meals times, which may have been due to the extremely low occupancy at the time of our stay.
Each meal is buffet style, with a fairly good selection. Main courses were cooked to order from an a la carte menu.
As previously reported low tide does leave sand flats/pools in front of the Lodge, which we personally didn't find too much of a problem. A short walk takes you to Dolphin and Lighthouse Bays with their pristine sand and fairly deserted beaches, together with excellent snorkelling opportunities. The lodge does have trips on offer, which we actually found quite expensive.
The beach boys can be a little distracting, but a polite comment is all that is required - they have to make a living somehow.
All in all Bazaruto has a huge amount going for it. HOWEVER, as has been noted previously on Trip Advisor, there are still issues with guests experiencing stomach upsets, myself and 4 other guests included, which obviously spoilt our stay, (the worst symptoms I have ever experienced)! We have been in touch with the lodge via our Travel Agent since our return and have been advised this was 'due to a recurring virus passed on through touch'- unfortunately, their full explanation raises more questions than it provides answers - I am not convinced! Subsequent correspondence with both the Lodge and the Company, have, as previously experienced by the last reviewer, fallen on deaf ears and I suspect will never be resolved, which is disappointing as we had an 8 night stay at this resort - 5 days of which saw me too ill to eat anything!.

Come on Pestana, you are charging plenty to stay at Bazaruto, so make it the idyllic retreat it should be!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
saudi
Reviewed August 14, 2009

Instantly and consistently disappointing would be the only way i can describe this place. The location is terrible, the rooms are average at best, the food is well below average and the staff are unhelpful and unproffesional.
There was no help from the staff when we checked in, no food or option of food provided. There was nothing for children to do unless a huge amount of money was paid for excursions. Even the furniture at this hotel is very cheap and tatty. The location is wrong as the tide would go out for miles highlighting this hotel for the mess that it is.
The next morning we decided that being charged the amount we were for this excuse of a hotel is bordering on criminal and we decided to check out and stay elsewhere for the remainder of our holiday. I spoke to the manager and explained that this hotel is not suitable for us in the nicest way possible. He said we will have to pay for the whole stay - 5 days - but he would give us cash for 4 days, so we would only pay for the night we were there. We paid by credit card, then were told there was no cash but to leave our bank details and we would be refunded. When i wrote my bank details, the manager - louis erasmus - also asked for my pin number. At this point i realised i was about to be ripped off. This manager now does not return calls and has blocked my emails so i have to go through the pestana parent group to get my money back.
For me this hotel is the worst place I have stayed. It should not be called a lodge or a hotel nor should it have the cheek to charge unfortunate travellers who stay there. I would not recommend this place to anyone i wished to speak to again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank monsterinsaudi
south africa
Reviewed August 11, 2009

After being picked up at the landing strip by tractor!!! and arriving at the resort to be welcomed in great African style, and sitting back and ticking all important boxes for a wonderful stay, you will realise you stayed at the Pestana: great food - such a variety and abundance (3 times a day), wonderful, practical and stylishly furnished family suite, friendly staff, a great private beach and lapping water 7 meters from bed!!! Paradise FOUND!!!! The snorkelling and excursions were amazing. The staff went the extra mile - thank you Louis and Derrick for eye drops, great chats, drinks (it was my b'day!), the bonfire on a remote part of the island and the impeccable way you handle everything! Next time I'm there for at least 2 weeks!!! Everything you need is in your room (coffee/tea/hair dryers/shampoo and cond/mozzie nets/tv etc). The rest and more, you'll find 20 meters away - ENJOY!!!!! Great for old and young!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Pestana
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Thank you all the people from Pestana Bazaruto Lodge who made our short visit an unforgettable exprience. The rooms were perfect and comfortable, the food excellent and the friendly and efficient staff made each day special. We definitely intend to visit the Lodge again soon. Keep it up!
Francois Swart and Family

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I have waited a week before writing my review on the pestana so as to be able to write in a more measured fashion. My hopes were very high for this holiday as I had heard amazing things of the archipelago, and after landing in Vilanculos and taking the tiny connecting plane which flew us over the islands I was ecstaticly happy. The views were beautiful, the island is remote, natural and i have never seen so many shades of turquoise. So when half of the plane got off at the first stop - Indigo Bay, I was still feeling smug and happy about wonderful the holiday would be. We landed 3 mins later on the Pestana side of the island and doubts immediately set in. Indigo Bay had sent someone to greet the arrivals with a much needed cold drink and welcome. We were greeted by a tractor. Rustic chic I thought to myself, an ironic self knowing gesture by the management.. er no actually, a sign of things to come.

So now down to the nitty gritty. My first impression as i was given a rather naff hawaian flower garland and an orange juice from the carton, was of a 1980s style Butlins. Lots of concrete and a bright blue pool in a funny shape. Communal dining area and a general look of tired decor and dark, dim, depressing brown. The rooms are not very big and even if you take a beach villa there is no privacy. Inside the rooms the layout is the same whichever style of villa you take. Small and with nowhere to sit except for on the bed. There are also no fridges in the room. On the plus side they were spotlessly clean and the housekeeping staff were excellent.

Every meal was served in the communal dining room, at the same table, and pretty much the same menu.. it soon felt like groundhog day. Endless calamari covered in brownish burnt butter, endless odd salads made with garishly coloured mayonnaise, countless breakfasts with stale bread.. On the last day that we were there someone arrived to take the kitchen in hand and they moved the tables to the swimming pool area which made a huge difference.

Another big no no for me is that you had to pay for water, i have never stayed somewhere beofre where i am charged $5 for a bottle of water, and given how hot it is that adds up over time.

The hotel is on the wrong side of the island for the beach, as when the tide goes out you are jsut faced with a mud flat. But the beaches on the other side of the island are spectacular. The snorkeling is fantastic, you literally have to walk in about 10 metres from the beach and you have amazing snorkelling. The coral is the best I have seen. I can also recommend the diving. I was a first time diver and the guy who runs the diving was superb - calm and completely reassuring.
This place has so much potential, but feels very dated and unloved. The staff try to compensate for this but unfortunately this hotel should be charging half of what it does charge.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank VinciLondon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I am a travel agent and therefore have stayed and visited many a resort over the years. My fiance booked this for me as a surprise for our honeymoon (brave move by him) - however I was not disappointed.

The accommodation was stunning. Gorgeous A Frame huts on the beach, outdoor shower, and private loungers outside your huts.

Loved:
*Location & Scenery
*Choice of beaches - 1 for bodyboarding, 1 for snorkelling, 1 for swimming
*Propeller plane flight from VILANCULOS with stunning views
*Diving & the sea life - saw dolphins and humpback whales
*The remoteness/quietness - just what you need on honeymoon
* Staff were all lovely and helpful esp Jacques who runs the watersports/activities.

The buffet each day was a little repetitive as only the 1 restaurant, but helped by a BBQ on the beach twice a week and a private dinner one night. Saying that food was very good.

If you want a quiet relaxing holiday, and appreciate the remoteness/rural nature of an island like this then you'll love it.

• Liked — Outdoor Shower, Private loungers on the beach
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bazaruto Island
#2 of 8 in Vilanculos
Ibo Island Lodge
Ibo Island Lodge
#2 of 3 in Ibo

Been to Pestana Bazaruto Lodge? Share your experiences!