“Nothing comes close!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ile Aux Cerfs Golf Club

Ile Aux Cerfs Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The island of Ile aux Cerfs represents a unique "island" golfing experience surrounded by a shimmering turquoise lagoon. Bernhard Langer designed an 18-hole championship golf course of extraordinary concept and flawless execution that has been described as a 'wonder of the game'.
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nothing comes close!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I approached this course with some anxiety after reading reviews of being unplayable for the average golfer but my wife and I were blown away by it. She plays off ten and I'm off 14, so we played off yellow and red tees on the first day. From these tees the course is quite short and you have to plot your way round to keep the ball in play and not run out of fairway. On many holes there are carries from tee to fairway and again from fairway to green, most of which sit above the surrounding terrain. The 18th is the toughest. You need to drive down the left side here to get a good line into the green. But we loved every minute. Like chess with sticks! After day one, I played off the whites and my wife off yellows. Less chance of running out of fairway and a wonderful test. The course is more demanding from further back, but you can use the driver a bit more. I only used it once on day one so was able to use more of the bag from the whites, as was my wife from the yellows. She switched to the whites on16 which also makes the hole better, though there is a 180 yard carry over a lagoon to the fairway. New touch screen sat nav was fitted in the buggies on day three. Use it! You can't just pull out the driver here and blast away, especially off the yellows! I agree with some reviews which say the greens are difficult to hold. I expected them to be receptive as they are around Marbella, but they are quite firm and most are table top with close mown run off areas. So if your abilities are limited like mine, you have to devise a strategy and execute it. This might be to drop it short and try to chip close, or to go with more loft and try to single putt. I birdied the 9th playing it as a three shotter and my wife made par on 11 which beat me up every day. Perhaps it's called "Round the Bend" for a reason. We had intended to play other courses while we were there, but couldn't drag ourselves away. We've played lots of good courses- Valderrama, Muirfield, The Old Course, Wentworth- but this is right up there. Lots of the unfairness has been taken out with the removal of volcanic outcrops from the fairways and we would now say its tough but fair. My wife switched to a Pro v1 to get more stop on the ball and this helped on the greens. If you can control a high spin ball off the tee (I struggle a bit with the driver with these) it will help you stop it on the greens. I hindsight, I would have brought a mixture instead of all NXT Tour. Ball count? We lost 24 after 10 rounds, mostly mine trying different approaches to one or two of these magnificent golf holes.
And the views from almost every hole are simply stunning. Even when I lost the plot for a moment, I was taking snaps before the next green. And I've never seen a flagstick cast no shadow but I did here! Strangely, I didn't suffer from the heat like I do in Spain! My Mauritian friend tells me it's the purity of the air. But the factor 50 was very useful.
In short. Miss this and you miss a rare gem in our view.

Visited November 2013

Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

When stayign at Le Touessrok you HAVE to go play on the championship course , it's paradise ! The service is great, and enjoy a good local beer at their restaurant with views on the practice. If youre not a gof player you should still go and take the initiation course they offer. Loose as many golf balls you want, you'll never get angry, just look at the surroundings !

London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Challenging but fair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I visited with my wife, me off 14 and she off 22. We played it twice, as one does, and both enjoyed the challenge of this beautiful course in a beautiful setting.
We have never taken a water taxi before to an island with no hotels where the only things are beaches on the outside and a golf course in the middle.
Anahita back on the coast is in superb condition and Le Tousserok is not far behind. But Anahita is a wide resort course, albeit with its difficulties, and a number of similar holes whereas Le Tousserok is a gem. Don't be intimidated by its reputation as a ball eater and just commit!
It's got to be done.

Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Oh dear Bernhard! Not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I really like Bernhard Langer as a player but he ought to stay away from course design. I play off of 12 and have played over 360 different courses, I'm a steady sort of player. unless you can play off less than 5 and hit towering fades and draws to minute greens forget it. The course is nigh on unplayable for average golfers. There are no bailout or safe shots. You either hit the perfect shot or you're in trouble. Most of the greens are perched up 8 to 10 foot above the fairway level with severe run offs all around. The 9th is typical. It's a par 5 around a lake. If you hit a good drive you are faced with a 190-200 yard shot over water to a raised green. If you don't fancy that shot, you can lay up up, further up the fairway provided you can slot it into a 10 yard wide fairway bordered by water. Unfortunately the best thing about the day was the burger in the clubhouse. Ps don't buy a diet coke on the course they're £5 each.

Midrand, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Le Touessrok Golf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

A must for the golfer when visiting. Always thought why would one spend a day golfing when you go to Mauritius. After my visit I have my answer. This is a very excellent golf course.

Visited May 2013