First off, the reception area is stunning. There is a water feature with trees, palms and you a direct view of the sea. The process was very relaxing which I always find very nice after a long exhausting flight. You will be seated and presented with a welcoming drink (some sort of lemongrass ice tea, a bit too sweet for me) and a cold towel. After that you will be taken to your suite/villa with a golf cart. We were lucky to be upgraded from a junior suite to a tropical junior suite.
Simply stunning. You almost get the feeling of being in a rainforest or a zoo. So many different birds, little lizards and we even saw a fruitbat hanging in the huge tree in front of our room (632). The resort is very big and spread out but there are always golf carts if you do not feel like walking.
The grounds probably impressed us the most. It is just hard not to relax in such a nice environment.
We stayed in the Tropical Junior Suite number 632. This type of Suite gives you 70m2 of space, more than enough for the 2 of us. The suite comes with a king bed, tv (a bit slow and smallish), a huge bathroom with inside and outside rainshowers both of which offer excellent pressure and of course you also get a bathtub and dual sinks. Nothing to fault here. Our housekeeper kept the room spotlessly clean. At turn down you will also get a free bottle of water.
There are a total of 7 pools, 6 smaller pools and the big infinity pool near the reception area. All the pools are very well kept and offer plenty of sun loungers. Also the temperature was very pleasant.
From looking at pictures and Google maps etc. I thought that the beach might not be that good. Boy was I wrong. White sand, turquoise water and a view to die for. Also there were not that many beach hawkers. Boats also very mentioned as a problem in other reviews, sure there are boats but it really wasn’t that bad. I did not disturb me from relaxing.
There are 6 restaurants offering international, Indian, Thai, Italian, and seafood cuisine. We only visited the Buffet, Mahiya and Blue Ginger. The other menus did not really appeal to us. For the a la carts you will have to make reservations. We did that 1-2 days in advance and never had any problems. You can show up as you please as there is not a specific time tied to your reservation.
L’Oasis is the main restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast was superb, almost everything you could want or think of. And to my surprise, the bread was as good as in Switzerland which is rarely the case in beach resorts. Breakfast gets a 5/5 from my side.
Lunch however was a completely different story. The service was inexistent and the food was also not something to write home about. We ate there just twice in our two weeks.
I would rate the food quality at dinner as pretty good, however there were not enough choices for a 5* buffet. Service was better but also lacking attention when the restaurant was busy, which was the case in most of the second week of our stay. Also the menu repeats itself after a week.
Le Caravelle (International / Lunch)
Le Caravelle was our go to restaurant for lunch, service here was better than at L’Oasis but also lacking. The food however was pretty good and the setting is beautiful.
Mahiya is the Indian restaurant. They have a set menu which changes every 3 days. You will get 3 different starters and 3-4 entrees one of which costs a little supplement (300 Rupees) as well as a little desert. The food and service is superb. As a matter of fact we liked this restaurant the most. Bottles of wine start at 1300 rupees and go all the way up to 3000 and 4500-6000 for champagne. That said, the wine is pretty good and when you are on full board, you will get a discount of 1200 rupees on every bottle.
Blue Ginger (Thai)
This is the Thai themed restaurant, the service is similar if not better than at Mahiya and the food is also very very good. Here you will also have a set menu with one course more (soup) than at Mahiya.
Service was pretty good the first week we were there when the hotel was only about half full. It declined in the second week when the hotel seemed to be at almost full capacity. Sometimes you had to wait 10-15 minutes after being seated at lunch for someone to bring you the menu and something to drink. That is just not acceptable for a resort that claims to be 5*+, hell it is not even acceptable for a 4* resort.
Reception however was always very helpful and when we had a problem with our TV, 5 minutes later the technician was at our room and solved the problem (thank good otherwise I would have missed the champions league)
The car provided by the hotel is a BMW X5, which we never used so can’t comment on that but it was a newer model.
There are two bars, the Main bar right next to L’Oasis at the main pool and the bar at La Caravelle (International cuisine) which is located right next to the beach. The cocktails were somewhat strange, depending on the bar chef, some days they were very good and sometimes they were let’s say, improvable. However the staff was efficient so no complaints there.
Every night there is a DJ, a band or a dance/fire show. All of which were pretty good. We especially enjoyed the two brothers and their band. The younger one really should enter a music show like the voice. Amazing singer.
There is a big fitness room divided into 3 parts with up to date equipment, two table tennis tables and a badminton court.
Also there are 6 tennis courts all in good condition. Reserve in the morning and you will always get a court. It’s a Head Tennis Academy so you will get Head rackets. The tennis balls you will have to buy but they only cost you 500 Rupees.
We did not do any water sports activities, so can’t comment on that.
They spa area is located next to the sport facilities in the back of the resort. You get an instant feeling of serenity when you enter. Our treatments were pretty good and the spa pool is also a nice place to relax. You can only use these facilities at the day of your treatment.
We asked about the possibility for a late check out and they offered us the room for as long as we needed it and we also were able to eat lunch at no additional charge. The bill was 100% correct and we were checked out in about 2 minutes.
Points of improvement
Here are a few points I would like to address.
Breakfast should be till 11 not 10 in the morning
Service at lunch has to get better. I observed many people having to wait 10-15 minutes to even be recognized by a member of the staff.
Also drink services should be expanded to the little pools not only the main pool and the beach are.
A very nice resort with the most beautiful grounds and setting. If they can iron out the few points mentioned, especially the lunch service problem, we will definitely recommend it to our family and friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The most romantic hotel in Mauritius A strip of white sandy beach, a turquoise lagoon with crystal-clear waters, a 35-hectare tropical garden...These are some of the timeless charms of Trou aux Biches Resort & Spa, a luxury hotel in Mauritius. Its situation on the north west coast of Mauritius ensures one of the best climates and provides the perfect setting for dramatic sunsets. With its romantic atmosphere, Trou aux Biches provides the idyllic setting you have been dreaming of for your perfect wedding and honeymoon in Mauritius. Accommodation is housed in lavish chalet-style suites built in crescents while private villas are tucked among the lush tropical gardens. With an emphasis on environmental preservation, Trou aux Biches is the first eco-friendly resort in Mauritius, while providing the latest in luxury focusing on privacy, space and diversity. All Villas, Beach Front Suites and Senior Beach Front Suites have private pools. Other suite categories open onto larger pools of 126 m2, centred at the heart of each crescent. The hotel also has a large pool designed as a key feature in the main areas. Reserved for children aged 3 to 12, the mini-club also has its private pool. Wherever you are, the sea is never too far, beckoning you to relax in warm, crystal-clear waters. Trou aux Biches Resort & Spa has six restaurants named L'Oasis, La Caravelle, Le Deck, Blue Ginger, Mahiya and Il Corallo. Enjoy a world of flavours sourced from the far end of Asia to the shores of the Mediterranean sea. Other facilities at the resort include a luxurious Spa by Clarins with 20 cabins, a teens club as well as a range of free land and water sports. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Agoda so you can book your Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trou Aux Biches Resort And Spa
- Trou Aux Biches Hotel Trou Aux Biches
- Trou Aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa Mauritius