“A return visit after 10 years”

Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Trou aux Biches
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We have just returned from Trou aux Biches after s[ending 12 days at the new complex. We went there ten yaers ago on honeymoon. It's much bigger now but we found the rooms, gardens and beach immaculate. They seemed to have thought of everything and one call to Room Service or Housekeeping and we found someone at the door in minutes. Yes, the buffet was a bit samey every day but the choice was good. We eat at the Italian restaurant most nights and the food and service was of a very high standard. A special thanks to Winnie Jane (Guest Relations) and Menon (Room Services Manager) for making our Anniversary so special. We did find, however, the main bar at night lacked charisma and was quite empty. This could be down to the inflated price of drinks.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,808)

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I spent three nights at this new flagship of the beachcomber group, the room i stayed was very comfortable, the shower bathroom area tops, bed and pillows are among the best i slept in. The food unfortunately not so great, the wine list for half board was very mediocre, the Restaurants are spread too far apart, Management must take a serious look at this. It seems that a lot of money was spent at this resort, the beach is superb.The service leaves a lot to be desired specially in the main restaurant.

Room Tip: Request front sea facing room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 18, 2011

So far I stayed in six hotels in Mauritius but the 2 nights stay that we experienced in Trou aux Biches Hotel was far more outstanding. I was staying there from 16 sep to 18 sep 20011 with my husband, my five year old daughter Laksha, mum, dad. Everything was fabulous, food, the cocktails, the way the employees smile and greet you the whole day. The suites we stayed in were spacious and clean. The restaurants offers tasty food at the buffet. All services we required were rapid. The staffs from the mini club were very professional. It was the very first time that my daughter stayed willingly in a mini club and she even became fond of it.

Room Tip: suites found near the mini club are better.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank vij R
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from an 11 night stay at this newly furbished resort. Overall we would say it was fantastic. The setting is absolutely stunning and our room (beach front with plunge pool) was gorgeous. Very clean, plenty of space and just 20m from the beach - ideal!

The restaurants on the whole were very good - both in terms of quality of food and service. The main buffet restaurant did at times let the food side down - waiting for replenisments and was a bit 'samey' every day but for lunch time this wasn't particularly a problem. We did need to book in advance for dinner in the other 5 restaurants though as they were booked up very quickly but so long as you plan in advance it's ok. The quality of food and service (particularly in the Thai and Indian) were extremely high. We chose to pay a bit extra for our special honeymoon dinner in order to have this on the beach. The food was amazing and the service second to none - in fact, almost too attentive - I would have liked a little more privacy if anything.

Weather was mixed but it was winter so I guess to be expected, however, there were always plenty of beds available on the beach (we didn't use any of the pool areas as we had our own deck and pool with the villa) as well as an abundance of beach towels available daily.

One word of warning though is the cost of drinks. We were on a honeymoon package which included one drink with lunch (wine or beer) and half a bottle of wine each with dinner. This was sufficient for us but the one time we went to the bar for a drink after dinner it was around £13 for a Jack Daniels - a bit steep even for a a 5*. However, we did take some Gin with us (on offer in duty free so couldn't resist!!) and bought tonic from the local supermarket up the road. We were brought canapes and a bucket of ice around 5pm every afternoon (very nice touch) which made for a great opportunity for us to make our own aperitif before dinner!

As part of the package we had a 'honeymoon couple' massage. The spa layout and facilities were absolutely idylic but the massage itself left a bit to be desired in my opinion. Being someone who fairly regularly goes to spa's etc it didn't make me want to book further treatments (as they asked us if we'd like to on the way out) but I could have just been unlucky with the beautician I had. The head massage part of the treatment was more of a scratching of my scalp and tickling my ears!

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel - particularly for a special occasion holiday. Having read some of the other reviews, I'm unsure of why there was a problem with service as for 99% of the time we found it to be spot on.

Room Tip: If you want privacy, request a room towards the Public Beach end of the complex. These seemed to be...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Debbsxo
Reviewed September 14, 2011

On arrival before we checked in we asked for our credit card !! Our room was not available but we were told it should be within an hour so we went to make a booking at the restaurant . Our first 2 choices were closed that evening . When we got to our room and started unpacking a maid wandered in without knocking - just as well werent in shower or ..... In the evening we went to turn air conditioning but it didnt work !! We chased up reception / duty manager with the result we had engineers climbing all over the room when we wanted to change for dinner . We complained !! How we complained !!! but we will told the resort management coudnt compensate or give us extra night as it had to be dealt with by UK end . After huge amount of effort received 25% for first night . See photos for how our room looked !! Thank goodness we had only booked 4 nights

Room Tip: You can hire car cheaper than transfer cost to airport . Find local shop to avoid massive bar bill
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mikeoutandabout
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The layout is absolutely amazing, fantastic beach but service was a lot lower than I expected...there were issues with table availability, food replenishment and other small requests. Great hotel if service is not a huge requirement of yours.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Ticoco79
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We have recently returned from a 9 night stay at Trou aux Biches Resort and I only have good things to say about this hotel. We were lucky enough to have a beachfront suite with a pool, which I can highly recommend. Both the bedroom and the bathroom were very spacious and well appointed. Having our own plunge pool was fantastic and with the beach just meters from our patio, well it was exactly what I had hoped for.

Before going on this holiday I did a lot of research on hotels in Mauritius as I needed a hotel that would be suitable for my husband who is in a wheelchair. I am happy to say that I made the right choice as this is a wheelchair friendly hotel which allowed my husband to be independent in getting around the resort. Whilst making our reservation , the hotel had been most helpful in answering my many questions and providing me with all kinds of details and even photographs to ensure that our holiday would be as stressless as possible. Once there I found all the staff to be very friendly and always ready to assit us whenever we needed it, and even when we did not.

As mentioned in some other reviews, drinks were expensive but then this is a 5 star hotel and as we were on the Halfboard Plus Package which included lunch and a limited amount of drinks with lunch and dinner, this did not affect us too much. We did discover that there is a local supermarket just down the road from the hotel where you are able to buy bottled water and cooldrinks for a much lower price.

The beach is simply beautiful and the sunsets were amazing. Our 2 year old daughter loved every minute of her holiday as did her parents !

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Michelle R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trou aux Biches
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!