“Pleasant Stay, Bang for buck” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Grand Bleu Hotel

Le Grand Bleu Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Trou aux Biches
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay, Bang for buck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had a look at places online. To be honest I did not spend much time at the Hotel but it was the best value for money out there.

Service- Staff were very friendly. Upon checking in we had to wait for a few minutes and whilst waiting we were served a glass of juice. 5 minutes later we checked into our room and someone kindly took our luggage to the room for us.

Room- was nicely sized double bed with air conditioning. Bed was comfortable. The only downsize to the room itself is that it could do with a little more lighting. Shower was large. To be honest I dont thing you could get anything at a better price.

Facilities- I could not rate the facilities as i did not get to use it but we were told about the options. Swimming pool was small but nice.

Location- The beach was a 5 minute walk away and I had family staying in a villa 15 minute walk away so thumbs up for that. Its off of a main road but then all hotels based around here are. Noise was fine and barely heard anything.

Food- I only had breakfast. I would say it had a half english breakfast. There was a variety of choice from cereal to bread, eggs/omlettes, baked beans,croissants and pain au chocolate.

Transport- Buses go from here to the capital and towards Grand Baie easily accessible.

In all honesty people I had a look at some of the reviews prior to this and was reserved about booking this but for me it was the best bang for buck. If you are spending a lot of time outside and on the beach/travelling around mauritius then I would strongly recommend it. All you really need You pay what you get for and we had a nice room with good service and breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunjhoon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have to say this is the very first time I was misled by the reviews on Tripadvisor. I used to read reviews here as very reliable source and at the moment I am totally disappointed. I can’t understand where the good opinion about this hotel come from.

At check-in I was writing on the counter covered by sand. I literally felt the sand under the check-in form. The boy who was around the reception (I’m honestly not sure what he was doing there) had bright, creamy kind of colour shirt with literally brown, from the dirt, collar! I was disgusted when I looked at him. Staff were however very friendly and helpful, but the dirt was unbelievable. We were waiting in the lobby for ages, with no reason at all. After all night flight I just wanted to take a shower, but I was absolutely scared to go to the room.

We went through quite nice garden, but the swimming pool was absolutely disgusting – full of leaves and dirt on the surface and on the bottom. I couldn’t imagine to swim in it.

And finally the room - no 205 ground floor (as far as I can remember) – I’ll make it short … claustrophobic small, dark just like a dungeon, with even darker bedclothes and courtains, smell of damp with mould on the wall, dirty, with chair covered by sand, dirty bathroom, broken toilet, bed with stained bed clothes and full of ants, wardrobe with u-shape shelves made from plywood, were I wouldn’t be able to put anything! Even shoes! There was tv set in the room but no channels at all – we found only one cartoon channel in strange language.

I went to the reception and asked for different room as I’m not staying in this room. There was no problem, we’ve got one – no 208 ground floor – almost exactly the same like the first one, but with brighter, yellow bedclothes and even more stains in the sheet. I started crying as it was too much for me to cope with. I said I’m not staying in this hotel.

We left all our languages in locked room and went to looking for another hotel. I wouldn’t stay in there even if they will pay me for it!

No honeymoon, no holidays, you can spend your sentence in this hotel!

Room Tip: do not stay there for the world!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank MarzenaDublin

Travelers are raving about these Trou aux Biches hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I have to say that I was miss led by the reviews on here. The staff were friendly but the room definately was below par.
It was incredibly dark, grubby and full of Ants. I did not feel comfortable in the room it was claustrophobic and not enough lighting . I know this is a budget place and you get what you pay for, I think it is worth spending that bit more money.
Breakfast was very basic and people pushing to get food as soon as possible . I would not recommend this hotel and was happy to move on to somewhere better.
Lastly it was noisy from the entertainment and the road has continuous traffic which was loud.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank 10travellingtime
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel is located in North Maruritius and is very near to Mon Choisy and Grand Baie beaches. These are among the best beaches at Mauritius. This made it very easy to plan for all water sports activities at our convenience becasue most of the water sports are conducted at these two beaches. The trasport facility is easily available outside the hotel.
Hotel staff was very friendly and have ensured that all our requests and queries were taken care of. Rooms and amenities were decent. In all, it can be recommended for a family trip under budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bengaluru, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is for a budget traveller..its location is the best thing ,right in front of a beautiful beach and easy reachability for mont choisy and Grand Bay...
The breakfast buffet was very very limited and not apprecible either..likewise the dinner buffet..not at all great..
Whilst our stay we had the bollywood movie crew wih Kunal Khemu n Vir das staying with us as well..

Overall a simple stay..

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RichAmit
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

We had come for a family vacation to Mauritius last week and stayed in this hotel for four nights, the first thing i'd like to mention is the location of the hotel, the beach is right in front of the hotel, i booked family apartment that had a very bful ocean view. The hotel staff Nazim, sachin and food and beverage manager are very warm and helpful, they add personal touch to the service they deliver. The Mauritian/Indian food they serve in dinner is absolutely awesome. The food and beverage manager takes extra care to cater to individual dietary requirements and tastes. I recommend this hotel to all those who are planning a family vacation its absolute value for money!!!

Room Tip: pick up a room that has ocean view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank travellust_12
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

It was always a good experience with me staying in this hotel. I stayed in this hotel twice. Both the time i was on a business trip. First It was in dec 2003 for a long stay and recently may 2011 again a long stay. The hotel is right on the coastal road, beach is in the front. Rooms are renovated well with authentic interior. Staff is so friendly that u feel like home here. Swimming pool is surrounded by indivisual pair of rooms ground + one like cottages with greenery. There is a shack for entertainment next to the pool. Bar and restaurant is on the 1st floor above the reception at the entrance. Very authentic architecture of the hotel. one can use fitness centre / billiards / table tennis without any charges. One a week they entertain guests with sega dance show. Food is awesome also good indian food available. Mouth watering real fruit alcohol beverage locally made, u must not miss. .

Its an ideal location very peaceful in good enviourment . .

It makes a trip perfect . .

Room Tip: cottage type rooms with swimming pool in front.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank JNK800
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trou aux Biches
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Resort
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Res...
#3 of 10 in Trou aux Biches
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,222 reviews
Le Palmiste Resort & Spa
Le Palmiste Resort & Spa
#6 of 10 in Trou aux Biches

Been to Le Grand Bleu Hotel? Share your experiences!