“What a Honeymoon!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
New Forest
“What a Honeymoon!”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Beautiful hotel in a superb location. The rooms are clean, spacious and beautifully appointed. The only disappointment was the lack of sea view as most of the beach front suites seemed to have a crop of palm trees immediately in front of them.

The staff are attentive and friendly, although the dress code in the restaurants is a bit odd......ladies can wear sandals, but men can't! Work that one out! (My husband was actually turned away one evening and had to change his footwear!)

The food is great. The main buffet-style restaurant (L'Harmonie) had a different theme each evening, and we didn't eat the same thing twice in the 10 days we were there.

Although we were told the hotel was well booked, there seemed to be hardly anyone around the pool and on the beach - perfect for some honeymoon privacy!

Well worth paying a bit extra to use "The Club", a lovely colonial style bar with free drinks/snacks at certain times of the day, and free use of the internet.

To summarise......not a cheap option, but you will have a superb holiday here. It was certainly the perfect honeymoon destination for us.

2 Thank TheSmileyLady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Denmark
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Don't get me wrong. This is a fine hotel, and it's located in the extremely beautiful south of Mauritius. But we were told, that this place was ideal for honeymooners looking for a quiet tranquil hotel.

Best of all: We were told that the hotel was known for not having many couples with children staying there. But they were everywhere even though our stay didn't take place during any school holidays.

There is one restaurant which doesn't allow children under the age of 12, but it was usually fully booked. This is a family hotel. Go to Royal Palm in Grand Baie, if you want time away from children.

Otherwise great hotel with friendly staff and clean rooms. Great for families i guess!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This southwest corner of the island is very scenic, and sheltered from the prevailing winds.

The unspoiled beach runs for miles, with the line of breakers offshore indicating the reef at the edge of the lagoon. Foot protection advised for entering the sea, because of urchins and rough coral. Sun sets into the sea.

The hotel has a fairly large number of rooms, but the plot is so large that guests are really spread out. You are never far from the beach, but may have to request the free golf carts to visit restaurants and the facilities of sister hotel le Paradis. This includes the large watersports facility. Excellent snorkel trips run from both hotels.

Small blocks of rooms are arranged in horse-shoe pattern, with all balconies facing the sea from varying distance across the gardens. All suites are very comfortable, light and airy, and with good-sized balconies. Senior suites are much larger.

Ample sunbeds are available on the beach, and unlimited towels. These are also spread around the gardens and near the subsidiary pools.

Next to the main pool, Harmonie is the main restaurant for breakfast, lunch and excellent buffet dinner. Other restaurants offer more intimate full-service dining with an allowance against your 1/2-board tariff. This will not go very far at La Ravanne. All our dining was excellent, including lunch at the beach bar.

The club offers free drinks and canapes from a limited selection, and has a great staff. Free internet access and wifi. Eligible guests will have booked club accommodation.

Journey from the airport is about 75 mins, 1700 Rs.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jacntone
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I was put off by the one negative review here, but I can only conclude that that person has very little travel experience and unrealistic expectations.
We spent a fantastic 12 day honeymoon stay at Dinarobin. Food is very good, junior suites are fabulous, and the staff is almost without exception exceptionally friendly and eager to help.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank fistu
Cheshire
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We booked this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary and weren't disappointed.
The hotel and grounds are very well maintained, and we had paid for "Club Membership" which included an upgraded room to a lovely suite on the beach front.
We found all the staff without exception to be be extremely helpful and friendly but professional too.
We couldn't fault the restaurants at the Dinarobin, and we also enjoyed a couple of meals at the Ravanne which is located at the sister hotel Le Paradis.
One restaurant we wouldn't recommend is the Blue Marlin at the Paradis. We chose a 3 course a la carte dinner there, and were both very disappointed. The meal was nicely presented but it was not on a par with the other restaurants, and whilst not big eaters we came out feeling that we could still eat something else, which is not good! We felt it was totally overpriced and over-rated.

Other facilities we made use of included the pools, golf, sailing, bikes and lovely spa.

Beachcomber seem to market this as being amongst the best hotels on the island. There is no doubt it probably is - it is a top class hotel with lovely facilities and as anyone would expect from a hotel of this class, it is reflected in the pricing.

We would definately book with Beachcomber again.

5 Thank LizzieCheshire
Charleston, SC
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We had the interesting opportunity being guests of DINAROBIN Hotel Golf & Spa from May 04, 2008 until May 12, 2008 (room 752).

Below you will find a letter that I wrote to the executive management of Dinarobin and Beachcomber and never since then did heard back (which does fit the attitude of the hotel!).

"Please allow me to share some of our experience with your hotel and the General Manager, Mr. Gilbert Staub.

Let me start with some positive notes. The hotel itself is very nice, having very well manicured landscaping and a great beach. The suites are wonderful (due to unavailability of our Club Junior Suite Beach Front we received a complimentary upgrade to a Club Senior Suite Beach Front – thank you very much!). The facilities are state of the art and even 2/3 of the hotel staff seems to care about the guests in a very gentle and polite manner (especially in the Club).

But within our second day in the hotel the disappointment especially with the general attitude to service and the value you receive for your money started. We unfortunately had to realize that the hotel cannot stand up to the high marketing promises and is of no comparison to other 5 or 6 star hotels in Asia, the Americas or the Arabic gulf region.

Please allow me to share some details:
• In our hotel room there are two beach towels provided for our comfort, accompanied by a sign that suggests that we need to bring the towels back to

the room in the afternoon for replacement and if we fail to do so our room account would be charged. There is nothing mentioned if we could get more towels, where to get them or even does suggest that we would be able to leave the towels on the beach chairs after we left the beach in the afternoon. Instead, the hotel made us bother with carrying dirty towels during our vacation
> the hotel wants their guests to take care about beach towels during their vacation, an unbelievable fact compared to other 5 star hotels!! I assume, even at 3 star hotels there wouldn’t be such a thing.
• No beach/pool service existing: On every beach umbrella there is a yellow flag to raise attention to a staff member if you require food/beverage or any other service. Unfortunately raising this flag does not lead to any action by anybody in the hotel. We have tried it several times, but nobody ever approached our beach chairs, leading us to the conclusion that there is NO beach service what so ever existing (other than that you can go to the bar and get your drinks by yourself).
> again, the hotel has no service attitude as you would expect in a 5 star hotel but a “self-service” attitude like on a gas station!
• Change of linen in the room: Linen are not changed daily. So we did ask our cleaning person who started to argue with me if I really want this and if this applies for the cushions as well.
• Food/restaurants: The quality of the food is average. Besides the main restaurant there are different specialty restaurants – a fine thing, but you virtually have not chance to dine there as they require reservation and free spots are harder to come by than winning the lottery (La Ravanne was booked during our complete stay), so you are stuck with the main restaurant L’Harmonie. At L’Harmonie the imagination of the Italian chef only carries the variety of food so far, that he has to repeat the buffet schedule after 7 days again (maybe you should send him to a creativity training back to Italy). I believe in every 4 star all-inclusive resort the variety of food is wider. To create a gourmet cuisine like feeling in the buffet restaurant the hotel staff manages to build group tables with 10 or more persons to enhance the noise level to bring back memories of your University’s food court. Additionally, the waiters diligently clear your tables that after coming back from the buffet the table is completely empty and you need to be thankful that not yet another couple has been accommodated to your table.
> Dining: Not a 5 star experience!
• The Spa: As part of our honeymoon package we received a 30 minute spa treatment. To enhance its value proposition and to show its generosity the hotel worded the invitation to have 1 hour of Spa treatment: Their schedule for this treatment suggested to go to the gym for 15, then to the Hammam for another 15 minutes and then receive the treatment – sorry, but kidding your guests is not 5 star like! At the Spa reception we were greeted by ignoring us completely as all Spa hostesses including the managing hostess were so busy reminding themselves about the greatness of being a Clarins Spa. The spa itself was very dirty, especially the sauna and Hammam. We instead decided to relax a bit at the spa’s pool before our treatment started, only to find out that after our

treatment the towels on the pool chairs in the spa have not been changed (maybe because every spa staff member was busy reminding him-/herself about the greatness about being a Clarins spa thus having no time for such trivial work like changing towels, cleaning or even greeting guests?). The treatment we received was below average. The two therapists chatted during the treatment and made hand signs; even another staff member was coming into our room during the treatment. We were planning of several additional treatments but were too appalled by the honeymoon treatment to do so.
• The Club: The club staff was very polite and helpful. But, the value the club offers is in poor comparison to clubs in real world-class hotels.
• Dress code: On our first evening shortly after our arrival we wanted to tour the hotel to get accustomed to it. We did not intend to go to any bar or to a restaurant, thus I was wearing shorts. At the main entrance I was rudely stopped and prevented to enter the main lobby and the hotel with the comment that after 18:30 no shorts were permitted in the bars or restaurants (again, it was not our intention to dine or have a drink, we just wanted to learn to know he hotel). I completely agree with the dress code and I’m happy that the hotel does this kind of enforcement. But this is in strong contrast to the dress code required during lunch, where the hotel does allow its guests into the beach restaurants without any T-shirts. As we investigated this disgusting (yes, having to have lunch next to a table with men with bare upper parts of their body is disgusting and should not happen in a 5 star hotel!), we found out that the restaurant management did not like this fact either, but it was allowed per direction from the hotel management not to scare away rich guests from the Eastern part of Europe who use Cyrillic words and like to have lunch that way.

The same applies for the towels: we later found out that there are boxes where you can self-service yourself with fresh towels.

Considering all of these points my wife and me were so disappointed with the hotel that I requested to talk to the general manager, Mr. Gilbert Staub to bring this to is attention. Strangely to the meeting the next morning Mr. Staub brought his management assistant, Mr. Daniel Azzopardi. I’m assuming that the sole purpose of his attendance was to testify that all of my following statements are not true and of course he will take the same position as his boss does and loyally support his boss as he did not participate with any comment in our discussion. During all of the 30 minutes of our meeting Mr. Staub in a pretty aggressive manner
Allow me to share Mr. Staub’s comments to my complaints:
• Lack of beach/pool service and the poor towel service Mr. Staub replied that there for sure is a beach and a pool service and I just did not have noticed it: The hotel has installed self-service boxes with towels from which I can take what ever amount of towels I want and staff members will happily come to our beach chairs to take orders.
My reply that in a 5 star hotel a guest should not worry to self-service for beach towels, but instead beach chairs should be up and ready with towels when a guest arrives at the chair was not very well received by him. Neither was my

comment that in every true world-class hotel that I had the pleasure of being guest were dedicated beach/pool boys to help you set up the chairs with towels. He discounted my comments by aggressively repeating that there are self-service boxes.
> What is the value of Dinarobin? There is a huge discrepancy between their room rates and the level of service they provide. Please understand that I will not go into further details how world-class hospitality service is set up as my usual hourly rate as a consultant is EUR 300,00.
• Food/restaurants: My comment about the quality and the lack of creativeness was disregarded by Mr. Staub that there are a lot of happy guests and that he does receive a lot of compliments about the food. My comment about the unhappily created set-up of large tables with increased noise level was bluntly answered by Mr. Staub that I might have some resentments about Russians (please note: I did not even say anything about Russians nor do I care about nationality; all I was caring about that I do not want to have the feeling of a food court while having dinner at a 5 star resort!). In addition Mr. Staub told me, that he likes Russian women a lot and that for him they are the most beautiful women in the world and that he cannot understand how they get along with these obese and disgusting Russian men. This was maybe the most unprofessional and inappropriate statement he made during our complete conversation as he tried to intimidate me and I could care less about his sexual preference. All I care about is his less than great management abilities and his obvious lack of hard an soft skills.
• During the meeting I suggested, that a true world-class hotel will anticipate its guests needs and try to accommodate its guests. I even mentioned, that all world-class hotels that I have stayed in (like Aman Resorts, BanyanTree Resorts, Four Season, Ritz-Carlton etc.) are very good in anticipating their guests needs. I was very harshly interrupted by Mr. Staub that he has been to all these hotels and the service is not better than at Dinarobin and that service at Dinarobin is even on a better level. He even told me that he has copied ideas from all these hotels to accumulate them at Dinarobin.

When I was a little hesitant and begged to differ he very rudely told me that
- he is not in the business to invent something new for the hospitality industry (so Dinarobin is just a copy of other peoples’ ideas?)
- he has no idea how to anticipate his guests needs
- if I have the ability to anticipate peoples’ needs or can invent something unique for his hotel I should feel free to educate him how to do so

From that point in our conversation I gave up, because I felt there is no reason in sharing my thoughts and complaints with such an arrogant, ignorant and incompetent person as Mr. Staub is.
Instead I decided to bring to your attention what an incompetent general manager your hotel Dinarobin has to deal with, who tells his guests that he cannot create unique ideas for his hotel but has to copy other hotel’s ideas and does not even try to understand his guests basic needs. Statements by his management staff like “he is

always rude and does not listen, but be patient, it might take some time for him to realize and then there is the possibility that he will change things” only supported my perception of his rudeness and attitude.
During our conversation I did never feel that Mr. Staub tried to take my complaints as a guest and customer seriously. He never pretended to at least respect my feelings. He did not even try to offer any kind of solution to my complaints. All he did was to aggressively persuade me that all things are in order, and Dinarobin was a great hotel that does not spare any effort to accommodate its guests and can very well be compared to the best hotels world-wide. He suggested that my perception of the hotel might be impaired and that he has a lot of happy guests.

In summary our vacation at Dinarobin did not hold the promises made by the marketing material and the hotel unfortunately did not live up to our expectation. But how can the hotel explore its full potential if the fundamental to reach true world-class does start with the hotel manager?"

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
17 Thank RafflesClass
SALONIKA
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Frequently we are dissappointed by reality when we see with our own eyes the hotel we have chosen since photos can be misleading!In this case,photos and words worth nothing compare to reality!The hotel is amazing:rooms are comfortable and beautifull,
gardens are very well kept and the beach is fantastic!The service and the food are the best advantages of the hotel!Everyone was friendly and polite and tried their best to provide us whatever we wanted!If you 'd like quiet and quallity holidays it's an excellent choice!!!!

4 Thank ANASTASIAAAAA
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!