“Paradise.”
Review of LUX Le Morne

LUX Le Morne
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our stay at lux le morne was more than we ever could have hoped. The height of luxury combined with the stunning location that Mauritius and le morne bring, we had the most lovely time. My only complaint is we couldn't stay longer! Paradise! (I also highly recommend all inclusive, it was fabulous, I returned home very well fed!)

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Atomikah

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We chose hotel Lux Le Morne for our wedding in paradise. We stayed 10 days here. Invitation was very friendly. All staff was very friendly and smily. We would like to thank our wedding coordinator Manie and young boy (his name is Vegen) with who we spent our wedding dinner. He was very funny and friendly.
Food was excellent. Accomodation was clean and comfortable. Beach and ocean were very close to room. Water in ocean was crystal clear with many fishes. Location is very calm. We heard only birds. There is beautiful view on the mountain Le Morne and on the other side to ocean.
Our wedding and honeymoon at hotel and travelling throught the island Mauricius we enjoyed very much.

Slovakia

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We have spent 2 weeks on Mauritius. We are quite spoiled when it comes to hotels but this place is really well managed and lives up to the expectations created by the reviews and their own web page. We travelled with our 2 year old daughter and had a fantastic holiday. On a positive note:
+ very well kept premises (even though it is not a new place it is in excellent condition and you can see the refurbishments and regular maintenance)
+ very attentive staff (much better than in most of the luxury resorts on e.g. Seychelles)
+ great room service (the department is managed well... it shows on the details)
+ everybody speaks great English, there is even one person (Mrs. Marni) that speaks fluent German
+ perfect location (due to the mountain in the back the resort is protected from the constant winds, while the wind 1 km at the wave spot is perfect for kiting and wind surfing)
+ The GM of the place knows his trade - and the fact that he is Italian ensures proper food quality!

The only downsides from our personal view:
- If you want to go Kite Surfing you have to either hook up with the neighboring kite school (for courses in the lagoon) or you take a (free) bike and cycle to the wave spot which is approx 1km away. The St Regis Hotel is in this respect slightly better located for surfing the waves - however that place was quite empty while the Lux was fully booked
- we did not like the Thai restaurant that much (simply because some of the authentic ingredients are obviously hard to find on the island) however the 2 other restaurants are nice
- kids club girls speak only French and English (our daughter neither...)

For us it was a perfect holiday spot which we can truly recommend - even with kids. We will surely return!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just returned from the most wonderful relaxing holiday at this fabulous hotel. This is my third visit to Mauritius and previously stayed at the East coast and west coast, but the scenery at this part of the south of the island is spectacular. The setting of Lux Le Morne is amazingly beautiful with the most amazing sunsets too. Everything about the hotel is perfect. We stayed in a prestige suite with the biggest four poster bed I have ever seen and wonderful pillows and bedding. The bathroom was superbly appointed and it was all kept spotlessly clean with big fluffy towels. There was also a lovely outdoor rain shower as well as the huge one indoors and a lovely big free standing bath and double wash basins. Also a separate toilet.

The dining options were also very good as there was the main buffet restaurant called The Kitchen where breakfast Is served too. This overlooks the beautiful white sand beach and turquoise sea so is a perfect start to the day and everything you could possibly want for breakfast is on offer. A nice touch is that the freshly squeezed orange and other juices are all served in individual carafes of 2 servings along with fresh coconuts. The egg chefs do a marvellous job and I enjoyed the delicious omelettes. There is also two A La Carte options to dine in the evening. One called Nipa which serves Thai food and the Beach restaurant which was our personal favourite as the setting is right on the beach and the food is as good as many fine dining establishments. The service at all the restaurants was excellent in every respect but especially Audrey and Robin made a big impression on us as nothing was too much trouble for them.

We were also impressed with the gym as it was fitted out to a very high standard with a lot of up to date equipment such as Trx, kinesis,full selection of free weights and Swiss balls as well as the usual treadmills, cross trainers bikes etc. We didn't use the spa but it looked splendid too.

We hired a car as it's easy to drive around and there is lots to see in this area. A highlight was going on the speed boat with Erik on his fab boat Philo to see the dolphins sadly it was too rough for us to swim with them but still amazing to see them. Also a catamaran trip booked at the boathouse which was a great day and was excellent value for money as the food was great and drink was continually flowing.

If you are looking for somewhere that is quiet and relaxing but still find plenty to do should you wish don't hesitate to book here.

Room Tip: All rooms are in good locations facing the sea
1  Thank Stockhouse
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We returned from our honeymoon in Lux Le Morne last week and whilst it is with a heavy heart that I am leaving a 3 star review, there were just too many niggles during our stay to give anything higher. Summary of our experience is below.

Positives:
- The hotel and beach are stunning post card picture perfect. Grounds are immaculate, rooms are spotless, spa area very relaxing and overall it is very well appointed. The beds are the most comfortable I ever slept in.
- Free wifi, 'Secret Bar', movie on the beach, Tropicall booth, picnic boxes (if you are AI) and free watersports activities were all lovely touches that enhanced our stay and made it a little bit different and special.
- Nipa restaurant - fantastic, delicious and fairly authentic Thai food and the only good service we received (see the negatives below) in all of the restaurants in the resort. It was by far our most favourite place to eat and we enjoyed all of our evenings there to the max.
- Wine - we were on AI and all the wine we had was very good. Definitely recommend the Rose and Pinot Noir.

Negatives
- Honeymoon experience - this was acknowledged once on check in and never again. Seeing how other couples have reported flowers/petals on the bed/candles by bath at turndown for their honeymoon, it never happened for us. It was only on request on my husband that this was provided one night never to be repeated again.
Also despite being offered a 'free romantic dinner', it is actually served in the main buffet restaurant. It costs a significant amount extra to have it on the beach, which should be made more clear upfront.

- Service - this was the biggest let down for us and the reason why we would not be returning to Lux Le Morne and trying a different hotel on the island next time. Maybe it was because we were a younger couple and did not fit the usual high tipping older couple profile, but we received consistently cold, rushed and even at times rude service in bothThe Kitchen and The Beach restaurants (Nipa on the other hand was fantastic). The following incidents occured:
a) Our reservation at The Beach was cancelled and we were not informed of this. It was by chance that we called to confirm the time, only to be informed that the reservation was cancelled by Alain and there was nothing they could do. We had no idea who Alain was and why he would cancel our reservation and why noone would consider possibly informing us. We never received an apology from the restaurant regarding this incident. It was a telling start to our honeymoon.
b) Drinks orders at breakfast were delivered consistently wrong with the staff insisting that the cappuccino they delivered was indeed the flat white I ordered. It was quickly left on the table without any chance to send it back. This happened three times.
c) The Beach restaurant during Lobster night was a total let down. The staff were seen busily rushing around but it was difficult to tell what they were actually doing given the small size of the room. It looked like they were just walking back and forth at a fast pace. We were served by a different waiter every time with our plates hastily put down in front of us. Our glasses were not replenished (which was no big deal to us), but when we would attempt to do it ourselves, the waiters would remove the bottle from my husband's hands with a loud cry of 'Sir! Please!'. We just could not win.
d) The beach service is very slow. Glacial slow. Panini takes on average of 30 mins to arrive, whereas drinks about 15 mins at best, so plan in advance or go straight to the bar.

- Food - the volume, freshness and variety of food was very good. However, it was very hit and miss in terms of taste and temperature. Very often we found the 'a la carte' dishes served to be lukewarm and almost cold. Also, whilst some dishes tasted absolutely amazing (the fish at The Beach and Mauritius and Bistro nights at The Kitchen), the others were incredibly bland (Spice Route night delivered the worst hummus, babaganoush, labne and shawarma I ever tasted). The food is not bad by any accounts at all, it just does not taste of anything.

- Cocktails - these were not good (apart from pineapple mojito, the only thing I found to be drinkable) and completely not balanced in flavour and alcohol content. Had we not been on AI, I would be shocked to pay the amount usually charged for some of the offerings I received. I desperately wanted to be proven wrong as there is nothing I like better than sipping on an awesome cocktail especially in such beautiful surroundings, but after ordering a few different types (champagne, mojito, tall, short) I gave up. I wondered whether it was the local spirits being used, so we tried cocktails around a few other hotels while touring the island and they were rather good. Maybe a good mixologist is needed to train the staff.

Overall, whilst we loved Mauritius and Le Morne as a quiet location away from the hussle and bussle of the North, there were just too many things that Lux got wrong for us to return especially for the price that we paid.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 16 - it is right at the end of the resort and the private terrace is too much in the shad...
7  Thank purple_grape25
JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX Le Morne, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear purple_ grape 25

Thank you for writing a review of your recent honeymoon stay. I am sorry to learn that the negative outweighed the positive, and please accept our sincere apologies for them. I will not answer point by point though I have addressed those with my Team, I would like however to make a few claricications to you
- Tipping: any tipping enters in a tipping pool equally shared by all Team Members, I wish to reassure you that all guests are treated equally.
- Honeymoon experience: you were attended to by Alisa, our Russian receptionist who remember very well your couple, as Mrs is from Russian origin. She insists having had several contacts with you asking if you enjoyed your experience. In any case you had to meet with her during the course of your stay to make the arrangements for your honeymoon dinner which you had. Your statement therefore conflicts with our job organization let alone Alisa's statements. Indeed we can make exclusive arrangements of many kinds for guests. The good thing, and I thank you for it as you triggered our reflexion, is that we have found some very good candles in pure wax and a very realistic flickering led light that will allow us to generalize the romantic bath set up with candles, being now sure that there is no risk factor.
I agree with you on the spicing of our Middle Eastern food; you are certainly a connoisseur and we have reviewed our preparations, eventually replace those that are very specific by some we can produce perfectly.
I tried to contact you, but you have not acknowledged my request, as I would have wished to share with you this disappointment. I am sorry I did not have this opportunity.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 10 nights in an ocean suite(103) for part of our honeymoon after reading so many fantastic reviews.

Firstly I would like to say that the hotel really is very beautiful and the spa is lovely.

However we did find a few aspects of our holiday very disappointing.

Cons:
- the fact that we were celebrating our honeymoon was never actknowledged during our stay, even though we mentioned it on arrival and it was marked on our booking.
- we found some of the pool bar staff quite rude. A simple smile and thank you costs nothing. My husband gave up ordering drinks from our sun loungers in the end and went straight to the pool bar.
- the food in the main restaurant was not of 5 star standard in the evenings. We found it very bland and resorted to room service after a few attempts.
- guest services couldn't understand any of our basic requests such as needing a few more clothes hangers.

Pros
- hotel is very beautiful and the grounds are very well looked after.
- house keeping we're very friendly always restocking the bottled water and ensuring rooms are spotless.
- spa was lovely. We enjoyed a facial, full body massage and fish pedicure. All of which were very relaxing.
- room service and lunch was delicious.
- bed was lovely and comfortable.

All in all we enjoyed our stay but unfortunately won't be returning or recommending the hotel as our experience of other 5 star hotels slightly out weigh Lux Le Morne.

It's a shame we weren't asked about our stay on check out as we would have liked to have settled these few niggles directly with the hotel, however we were rushed through and never asked.

Mr and Mrs Dickens

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Street_Dickens

Dear Street_Dickens,

Thank you very much for writing a review of your experience at LUX Le Morne.
We genuinely aim at making each and every guest very happy with their stay, and we are sorry when we miss out. I posted a request to contact you but you have not accepted it, I would have wished to find out more about the shortfalls you have mentioned to enable me to correct, but I guess you did not wish.
I did check personally all the documentation of your reservation and I can assure you that nowhere was mentioned the fact that you were honeymooners. Our Receptionnists commonly take the appropriate measures in such case happening where the guest informs us upon arrival of their status. I could not pinpoint if Josephine omitted to do so as it was some time ago, but we owe you an apology if she did not .
I have reviewed with our chef your comment about the weak spicing of the food and we keep a close watch on our guests preferences; we will make sure we spice it up, yet within a level that will be pleasant for most.
Not greeting you upon departure was clearly a negligence from Vicky and has been addressed.
Thank you for your positive comments, and should decide to visit us to celebrate an anniversary, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We returned from 2 weeks at LUX Le Morne last night. This was our second trip to the same hotel. It did not disappoint us, we have had a wonderful time. The setting is so beautiful and we think possibly one of the nicest in Mauritius. We had an ocean front junior suite and we had requested one in a certain area which they did for us. We were all inclusive which we would recommend otherwise it is a little pricey for drinks. The staff are so helpful and such lovely people. We had very attentive service from Nikolaus and his team at the Ilot bar including Akshay and Sanju and many others, also Alain in The Kitchen Restaurant. We had very personal and attentive service which catered for our needs. For a relaxing, chill out, do nothing or something holiday which is extra special this is the place to go. The facilities are great and we used the gym most days to try to combat the effects of food and wine! The water sports are excellent and part of the package. The guys at the water sports are really helpful and patient with you. There is entertainment every night except Sunday (which is a shame that there is nothing on Sunday) to a very good standard and they enjoy it if they get requests. We cannot praise this hotel enough for the great all round experience we had. Some of the elements of the all inclusive package we had enjoyed last time like a massage or a catamaran trip were not there this time but even with that it did not disappoint. Save up and go! It's more than worth it. The view of the sunset and the wave son the Indian ocean is mind blowing.

Room Tip: Ocean front junior suite between Ilot bar and Nipa from 712.
1  Thank ScotlandTheMacs
JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX Le Morne, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear ScotlandTheMacs,

Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor.
It is always with great pleasure that we welcome back our guests for the second time and in many occasions more (the highest is 27 times !!! unbelievable). We are happy that you like our Resort; its services and its people: thank you for Nicolas, Ashkay,, Sanju, Alain, the Boat House and the others.
I am working towards running a DJ night on Sundays which will address your comment and will provide a 7 days night entertainment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Morne
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to LUX Le Morne? Share your experiences!