“Excellent Incentive Destination”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent Incentive Destination”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We won an All Inclusive Travel Incentive holiday through our company and Lux Le Morne was the perfect destination. Friendly Staff, great atmosphere, superb cuisine, variety of activities and stunning location. i will defiantly recommend Lux Le Morne to my peers.

All inclusive is the way to go.

Room Tip: Choose all inclusive.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duncan G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
JHB
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Wow. This is the 2nd trip I have made to Mauritius and without a doubt, Lux Le Morne has been my favourite resort to stay at. Besides wonderful and friendly service from every single staff member, the resort in itself is located on a magnificient stretch of beach and sea, and the rooms and facilities are finished in top of the range furniture and decor. My one complaint is that I was only there for a week ;-)

Thanks to Rocco, and his team, and full marks to you all.

Warm regards - from the crazy South Africans who were treated like royalty by your team.

Room Tip: Day long Catamaran trip was good fun and good value. Diving with dolphins was memorable and worth it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heath T
Freiburg, Germany
Reviewed March 21, 2013

In February and March my wife and I stayed for three weeks in Mauritius. We spent the first week in the LUX Le Morne resort. It is situated on a peninsula with among other things at least three more hotels, two of them being north of the LUX (Paradis and Dinarobin, both ideal for golf players) and one being south (recently opened St. Régis). One can go on foot along the beach from the south end of the peninsula (St. Regis) until the northern border of the Dinarobin, where a small but deep channel will stop your walking endeavour. From the south to the north the broad lagoon is well sheltered by a coral reef.

Whereas the beach was all the time heavily crowded at the LUX, it seemed to be quite empty off the St Regis and the Dinarobin hotels, perhaps due to other interests of potential guests.

The rooms of the LUX are spacious (we had a superior one). Sanitary installations are good, as well as the individual air conditioning facilities. There is a useful walk-in closet with a sliding door. We had the usual half board. The food offered is totally OK, you will have a rich choice especially for your breakfast. According to my wife, coffee is even excellent. Service is good and friendly. The palm-lined beach is most beautiful and offers plenty of shadow for your beach chairs, the staff taking care of the towels.

Since we prefer swimming in the sea, nothing can be said on the quality of the pools. In the lagoon, there is a relatively strong current to the North, depending on weather conditions. When the see is calm, snorkelling into the direction of the coral reef may be very rewarding (beware of low tide, though, because the water could be too shallow).

The sociotope of the resort is quite interesting. The francophone part of the guests is overwhelming. You will find an astonishing percentage of well shaped couples aged 40±5 without children (the last point might be due to the fact that at this time there were no school holidays except on La Réunion -- couples with children seemed to come from there; couples with toddlers could be seen, though). There was at the same time the highest density of iPads (mini and maxi) on the beach we ever observed (we must confess that we belong to this group too, but usually not taking the devices to the beach) since the free-of-charge wifi has both good coverage and good throughput. There doesn't seem much demand for team games as beach volley or even for aqua-gym, let alone for dancing (there is a good dancing floor before the bar).

I conclude this report with a most peculiar fact. You will be received at the hotel by the quite amiable Manie. She hands you over, among other things, some texts in English and French that both of us had to sign. It turns out that this is a contract with two parties, the hotel and you. You confirm that you cannot assert claims against the hotel, you even exclude such claims for your heirs in case of decease (a nice memento mori at the beginning of your holidays). In this contract the hotel party is abbreviated throughout the text as "the exonerated ones" (French version: les exonérés), yourself being "I/we". In case you should make justified claims, the burden of proof rests on yourself. What is most astonishing in this context: you don't get a specimen of this contract yourself (which would be normal in this case). We think that neither the contract itself nor leaving you without a copy is good practice.

8 Thank lahjakas
JeanPierre A, General Manager at LUX* Le Morne, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Iahjakas,
Frankly, I love your review; very sharp, very detailed and lots of humour.
You are certainly right in saying that our beach was the most occupied; I guess that the palm trees lining the beach must have a strong appeal !
I am very pleased that your wife graced us with a great comment about our coffee: this is Café LUX*, one of our showstopper scenes: we went a long way to produce such quality: from the selected green beans we import from Ethiopia, Guatemala and Brazil; processing them to the perfect roast at our sister property in Belle Mare then making it a great fresh brew under our Baristas skilled hands: our flat white is indeed second to none and the expresso has been acclaimed by our Italians guests as being...as good as the best in Naples. Sorry I get a little emotional about it but this is just passion.
I personally would agree with your comment about the very comprehensive disclaimer at check in: I will take this up with our legal department. In all fairness we never had to have a recours to it accross the group in many years, I guess we could lighten it a bit.
Thank you again for your great review, and we hope to welcome you again,
Yours sincerely,
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband has discovered this hotel on ba.com website last year new year's break. I've been to Mauritius four time and tried 3 different hotels at the time. until discovering le morne's LUX. Its just perfect. The most comfortable picturesque beach, healthy organic food, pizza place for the kids (real pizza, one of the managers is italian) every day for dinner is a different cuisine. All kinds of water sport gear, bikes with kids seats (very useful who has little ones) trainer at the gym. tennis coach, teddy tennis coach for as little as 2.6 years olds like my son. Great kids club. Amazing spa, highly recommended special bamboo stick massage for water retention. And a baby massage if you have a baby of course.. The hotel is so well located, no need to walk miles from one place to another, no buggies to wait to take you where you need to go. Super comfy, super cozy. rooms are well designed, with wooden floors not tiles, pleasant attention to details, like bathroom products- mint shampoo that makes your head so refreshed, fabulous bath oil and soap! what more do you need. can's wait to come back !!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Elena V
East Dover, Vermont
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We spent 12 glorious days in this top-notch resort. Upon arrival at 9:00 AM after a night flight from Europe, the bedroom was understandably not ready and we were given access to a choice of 4 superb bathroom for changing into summer clothing and refresh ourselves. By the same token, on the last day, we spent the day on the beach and could freshen up and change before our night flight.
The suites and rooms are very well conceived and maintained. We were upgraded to a junior prestige suite for the first three days: wonderful, large patio, close to the beach, outside shower. Then we stayed in a deluxe room (Eh! that was what we had paid for...) and they were quite nice specially the bathroom with huge rain-forest shower, double sink, big tub and separate toilet. If we return, we will surely book a Junior Prestige suite.
The whole property is extremely well maintained and the beach is raked and cleaned every day. The trick is to get hold of long chair under the thatched parasol as, evidently, there seems to be in short supply; my wife who tends to wake up early took it upon herself to spread our bag, towels and other paraphernalia on two chairs every morning around 6:30 AM but this should imperatively be improved by the resort... You oversleep: you miss your spot on the beach :(
The food scene disappointed us a little: altogether a decent buffet offering but a lack of originality, often deceiving as well presented but not that tasteful. The other restaurants (The beach and the Thai) offered service a la carte but not a wide choice so, after a few meals, we got tired of the same offering.
That being said, we enjoyed wonderfully lazy vacation and would return in a swap.
We would advise guests to spend time at the beginning of their stay to get full explanation on all the activities, what is included and what's not, the choice of restaurants etc.. as there is no central extensive information center that we knew of.

1 Thank VermontNico
Dear VermontNico,
We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at LUX* Le Morne, but I noticed the points for improvements which have called for action on my behalf.
We had for the first time since 5 years that we operate the resort a pressure on the sunbeds availability as you described it: it was a kind of a circle whereby many guests ended up booking early their beds, yet not all the beds were occupied during the day. We did manage to break this circle "en douceur" with the help of our beach attendants and I must say that the situation has returned to normal. However I am getting ready for the high season with spare beds which we can lay on the front part of the beach, should the need arise (there is an unused strip of prime beach of 100 yards right in the front of the hotel which we will use if needed be).
Concerning food taste, our Chef Thomas who has a robust pedigree with great chefs as Alain Ducasse is moving ahead ensuring all dishes are realised to perfection; I myself am a nototious pain as I am extremely interested in food quality: I try most dishes on every buffet and, trust me, I will not settle for less.
Concerning information I will rebrief my receptionnists to introduce our new guests to our weekly newsletter where all pertinent info on activities/ restaurants is described and also to inform guests that there is a welcome desk every morning at the entrance of the breakfast restaurant where our Team Members in attendance can give information on sports, activities, spa, restaurants, etc. We have all this, it is a question of making it known.
I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again, and thak you once more for your feedback.
Yours sincerely,
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Many reviewers have described the beauty of the hotel’s location and its many attractions. We would like to highlight the wonderful personal treatment we have received there over the past ten years. We discovered Lux Le Morne (then Les Pavillons) in February 2003. During that first visit, our room was looked after by a very special lady named Ranjeeta. Instead of just changing the sheets, Ranjeeta collected flowers from the garden and arranged them beautifully on the bed, accompanied by sweet notes to enjoy ourselves! Since then we have returned another 8 times. On one of those visits – our 23rd wedding anniversary in 2004 – we renewed our wedding vows on the beach… a very special moment. When the management heard about it, they upgraded us to a honeymoon suite, baked us a specially iced cake and delivered it to our room with a card congratulating us on the occasion! We were very touched to be treated so royally. Since then, we have celebrated both our silver/25th and 30th wedding anniversaries at the hotel. On every visit we have been warmly welcomed back by name. Members of staff who have gone out of their way to make us feel special include Mr. Auriol, Vik, Teeluck, Alain and Vimal. All the staff seem to genuinely enjoy their work and respond to our “thank you’s” with a warm “you’re welcome!”. One year, we treated my elderly parents to a visit to the hotel. As my father is confined to a wheelchair, I emailed Teeluck in advance and he took care of every detail required including installing a wheelchair ramp! In our experience, the staff at this hotel are genuinely committed to helping ensure that you enjoy a fantastic holiday!

1 Thank CatBev
Dear CatBev,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a complementary review.
We are proud and honoured that you reward us with the testimony that we have helped you celebrating life. What more can we ask for.
We love you !
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having been in the travel industry for almost 12 years, I have travelled at lot. I have stayed in many hotels, resorts, but, my old time favourite is still, Mauritius. However, this holiday I can honestly say, was the best holiday ever!

We travelled in economy class on Air Mauritius. It’s a very comfortable airline, with friendly staff, good food and entertainment. They were on time, so no delays in getting us to our holiday destination. With Mauritius only 4 hours from Joburg, it truly is paradise on our doorstep.

On arrival in Mauritius, we cleared passport control, collected our bags and as we walked through the doors of arrivals, there was a friendly representative waiting for us from Coquille Bonheur, with some cold, scented towels, cold water & a cute little local beach bag for me! What a treat to be met with such service. Now for those of you who have been to Mauritius or for those who haven’t…I just LOVE the scented towels.

As we left the airport, we drew some local currency from the ATM (it’s always best to exchange money at the airport, as you get a better rate).

Our private transfer was ready and waiting for us, our destination, Lux Le Morne for 3 nights. Lux* Le Morne is situated on the beautiful South/West of Mauritius, overlooking Le Morne mountain. It’s about 1h15 from the airport. On arrival at Lux Le Morne, again, we were met with those lovely scented towels and a refreshing cocktail. We were shown to comfortable couches to relax while being checked in. This is one of the great things of Lux resorts, the importance of your holiday ‘time’. You don’t want to waste time standing around on your holiday waiting, so, from the moment you arrive, making most of your time, is top priority. As we arrived quite late, we headed straight to the buffet for dinner. For those of you who don’t know the rule…its compulsory to pick up at least 4kg while on holiday in Mauritius and judging from our first night at the buffet, this was not going to be a problem at all! After dinner, we were shown to our room – the honeymoon suite! What a treat! The room was a holiday on its own, very spacious, private balcony, huge bathroom…and best of all, the bed! That was THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. As you lay down, you literally ‘sink into’ the bed linen. It’s as if the bed swallowed you up! (Hint: try booking your restaurants early for every night of your stay, as they do get booked up very quickly. The Thai restaurant at Le Morne, was my favourite.)

The next morning we had breakfast in the most beautiful setting on the deck. We chose the table closest to the sea and had the best view…white sand, crystal clear water…the perfect way to start the day. It doesn’t matter how hard you try to tell yourself ‘I am only having fruit for breakfast’, it never happens. The choice of food was just unbelievable…from fruit, yoghurt, cereals, full English breakfast, pancakes, waffles…the choice was endless.

Although the resort was at 100% occupancy, it sure didn’t feel like it. The stretch of beach it’s located on ensures everyone gets their spot without feeling cramped or crowded. There is also a choice of three swimming pools to choose from PLUS, and this was the highlight for me…a pool bar! We spent many hours just relaxing in the water, enjoying the bar’s many choice of cocktails.

Loads of activities were available at the boat house, from snorkelling, kayaking, wind surfing etc. Not to mention searching for the ‘message in a bottle’ or the ‘secret bar’. These two activities is something unique to Lux resorts and add that element of surprise to your holiday. Once or twice a week, the staff would hide a glass bottle with a message inside somewhere on the resort property. If you happen to find it…you take it to reception and as you open it, there is a surprise treat for you! It could be anything from a special dinner, massage…who knows…until you find the bottle. The secret bar, again, also only happens once or twice a week, and the staff will set up a ‘mobile bar’ somewhere on the resort grounds. If you find it, you can help yourself to as many drinks as you want, and even make your own cocktails, all complimentary!

Our second night, we were invited to a cocktail party, where guests had the opportunity to meet the hotel management. This is definitely not to be missed and a great way to mingle.

On our last day, we made use of ‘Lux Me’…the Spa. This is a definite MUST, and the perfect way to get into the holiday spirit. Our choice of treatment, a couple’s full body massage.

There is a weekly schedule available in your room of all the daily activities you can participate in…or, you can do your own thing -the choice is yours.

Day 4 of our holiday we were transferred, across the island to Lux* Belle Mare. On the East Coast of Mauritius. It was quite a long drive 1h30 minutes; however, it was nice to drive through all the local villages and towns.

On arrival, we were, again met with friendly smiles, those cold scented towels and a refreshing drink. After all the check-in formalities, we were taken via golf cart to our own private villa. No words can describe my excitement of having to stay in a private villa, with your own private butler, private heated pool PLUS your own private beach (for villa residence only, of which there are 12 villas).

While sipping on our sparkling wine, our butler showed us around our villa…ie. dining area, lounge, bedroom, bathroom with outside shower, mini-kitchenette, outside veranda with pool, loungers and private deck…yip, I have arrived, in paradise. And then, we stepped outside on the sea sand…it is THE softest sand I have ever felt! My paradise, just got better.

Again, the hotel was at 100% occupancy, but I would never have said it. There were plenty of beach loungers to choose from, and it never felt crowded.

We spent our days, either lounging on the beach or our villa, enjoying the home made ice-cream, the best coffee ever from Café lux, activities at the boat house and off course, making everyone jealous at home with updates on facebook (free wifi throughout the resort) or if you are a workaholic like my husband…catching up on e-mails.

You can take a taxi to Belle Mare town, its about 10min from the hotel @ Rupees 100 return (about R40). There are a few shops, it took us 15 minutes to walk through all the shops. Or, you can go a bit further 20min from the hotel to the town of Flaq. On Tuesday & Sundays they have ‘market day’ with all kinds of stuff from spices, clothes etc.

Every night we enjoyed a night cap (local vanilla rum) at the bar and enjoy some local, live band entertainment.

Just as I thought our holiday can’t get any better…we booked a breakfast on the beach (@ Rupees750 per person, approx.. R250 per person). You guessed it; they set your breakfast table up in the water. So you enjoy your meal while having your feet in the sand and the sound of the waves, literally at your feet.

We were in for yet another treat, on our last night, we were moved to the honeymoon suite, with a private, romantic dinner on the balcony. A five course lobster menu…again, I was speechless.

Both Lux* Belle Mare and Lux* Le Morne has so much to offer. My experience above hasn’t even scratched the surface. …actually, they have many reasons to visit them!

Will I return to Mauritius = YES

Will I return to Lux* resorts = YES…we never did find that message in a bottle or the secret bar, so I have to return (soon) to find it!

HUGE THANK YOU to the entire team of Lux…from the reception staff, to the waiters, chefs, butlers, beach boys…all of you are super stars and truly made my holiday so special and memorable.

Special thanks to Geraldine & Rocco from Lux* Le Morne, and Ashesh, Suren, Dave, Shandon & Roa from Lux* Belle Mare – you guys rock!

I can go on and on about the all you can expect (and more) from Lux* resorts, but that is for you to go and experience yourself

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel

Been to LUX* Le Morne? Share your experiences!