“The best place to celebrate your birthday in Style!”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I turned 32 years old this weekend at the St Regis Mauritius and I must admit that it was one of the most SPECIAL birthdays I’ve celebrated so far! Everyone at the hotel made my day special and I received birthday messages from our private butlers and surprises throughout the day!!
My fiancé and I absolutely loved our stay at The St Regis and we can't wait to go back!!
We were both blown away by how beautiful the suites are! The view from our suite 273 was simply breath-taking!! The service was spot less and there was definitely attention to details throughout our stay. Thank you for making our dream holiday come true!

Room Tip: Beach front suites are amazing and the view will take your breath away
1  Thank Olivia D
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Olivia D

I am so happy that you celebrated your 32year birthday in style with us at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort.
As you are leaving in Curepipe, we would like to become your weekend residence on a regular basis.

We are celebrating our 1st year birthday on the 1st November 2013 and a comment like yours is what gives us the desire to exceed the expectations of our discerning guests.

Fond regards

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Mauritius. Most of the top quality, luxury ones were built in the 80s and 90s heyday. Most of the recent builds are 3- and 4-star as Mauritius tries to increase numbers of tourists and the industry struggles. So to see a new, top 5-star property meant we could see what Mauritian tourism could be, if the debt-laden hoteliers could afford refurbishment. But unfortunately, St Regis looks and feels exactly the same as all the other luxury resorts in Mauritius. Why spoil a good thing, right? Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. Many of the fittings look tired, there are some things that the Mauritian hotel designers forgot (eg in a beach resort there is nowhere to leave your swimming stuff to dry) and there are many chances to use technological developments to make the experience even better. All of these chances have been missed by St Regis. And it still aims entirely at the French tourists who filled Mauritian hotels and spent loads of francs during the golden age, with the apparent belief that the new generation of tourists - Indians, Chinese, Russians etc want the same as the French. They don't. There was vodka at the breakfast bar, but if I was Russian and that was the only nod to meeting my needs, I think I'd feel patronised and stereotyped.
But still, you might have noticed I like Mauritian resorts, so I wouldn't pick on St Regis for this alone. Both restaurants that we tried were excellent, and the breakfast service is probably the best I have experienced, with an extensive buffet and freshly cooked hot food. Le Morne is a fabulous location, with a beautiful coastline and the amazing Le Morne mountain overlooking everything. And, surprisingly for a hotel that feels like a honeymoon hotel, the kids club is very very good, and they have great facilities for children (there were actually a lot of families there at the same time as us).
But lots of things went wrong with the service. The check in went badly wrong - I usually tolerate the welcome drinks and hot towels and other paraphernalia of check-in in Mauritius, on the assumption that some customers like it, but on arrival at a hotel my aim is to get to my room, with my luggage, get a shower and get changed. Once that has happened, I'll do formalities. There must be an online solution/smartphone app for this. St Regis messed up and left us in a room (not ours) without electricity, without internet, without anything, for an hour. I think they forgot us. We were then woken at 2230 by a "turndown service", fearing an intruder in our room. And at check-out the computers at our pavilion had crashed, and the one we were taken to failed to arrange a porter, causing a delay in our departure. They did apologise, but its an expensive and supposedly top-quality resort, and we were only there two days, so there were a lot of errors. The excuse we were given was worrying -"we were busy". If the hotel only functions when it is half empty, its not going to be profitable.
I suspect they will get things better in time, and if the staff performed to the level of other luxury resorts in Mauritius then the fantastic location and great restaurants will give the St Regis a chance. But at the moment, still not quite as it should be.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Nick445
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Nick

We have been trying again and again to post a reply however it gets rejected each time.
Would you please contact the hotel if you have an issue with our answer or contact me directly?

With very best regards

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We chose this hotel having read many hit and miss reviews on here, but wanted to give it a chance. Whilst it was nice, we wouldn't go back due to too many minor faults, which cannot be forgiven when you spend as much money as you doing staying here. It simply isn't on par with the likes of One & Only, Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental, all of which we have been fortunate enough to stay in.

The good:
Overall décor or the hotel. It looks outstanding - all lush gardens, contemporary but welcoming décor, gorgeous pool area and beach bar, and a beach with the wow factor (although the sand isn't soft and powdery). We stayed in the most basic room and it was very well appointed, looked as per the pictures and was generous in size (oh and the bath is to die for).

Location - as I said, the beach setting was beautiful, and having the heritage site as the backdrop was lovely. It was very windy on some days, so just watch out you don't get burnt (like we did!)

Staff - in the main, they were all very attentive and welcoming. My only comment would be it was a little formal at times. Priscilla who ran the bar was the exception to this - very bubbly and chatty - a real gem. The butler service was great, and although we had some issues during our stay, the staff couldn't do enough to try and resolve these.

Gym - my boyfriend tells me that the equipment was far better than other similar hotels.

Spa. We had three massages during our stay and they were all wonderful. Shame that the choice was limited though, and it was more expensive than other like hotels we have stayed in.

Beach bar - looked great, the swing chairs are the most relaxing things in the world (!) and a fab setting. Shame no one seemed to use it in the evening - quite often we were the only ones there all night.

Needs improvement (all very minor but add up):
Overall dining experience. We chose the hotel based on it having more restaurants than others, but we were left disappointed. Menu choices were very limited in all of them, most options had additional charges to the half board package (we spent on average £100 per meal even though we were on half board, and this excludes the drinks), they were all fine dining - even the most refined palette gets sick of fine dining after 2 weeks. It desperately needs one of the restaurants to be more casual to give this option some evenings. God knows what children would eat! The quality and service was hit and miss too. Once a week there was a buffet but the quality of food was terrible.

Mini bar - was only replenished twice during our 2 week stay, and you could only have nuts. My boyfriend has a nut allergy so there was nothing for him to have.

Shower pressure was poor and you have to let it run for 5 minutes before it gets hot.

We had an ant infestation in our room. When we first rang the butler about it we were told 'you are on an island, what do you expect'. Thankfully once they realised we were not happy and once they saw how bad it was, they did their best to rectify it. The room and outside was fumigated (it turned out most rooms had this issue too). Whilst it wasn't the fault of the hotel, and these things do happen, it took 72 hrs for it to clear, and we had them crawling all over and inside our bed - a truly awful 3 sleepless nights, that did mar the holiday. I wouldn't go back in case this happend again.

Work being undertaken around the pool area during peak hours - really noisy and spoilt what was normally a relaxing time.

Service around the pool - we had to ask for water (when someone finally showed up) - we were rarely offered it before we asked. Lacked other little touches we have had in other like hotels - sunglasses cleaning, drink top ups, ice cream etc.

Lack of atmosphere. It was very odd at night - there didn't seem to be anyone around after 9pm, and the fab beach bar was empty most nights. We often felt like we were staying at an old peoples home! Whilst we wanted it to be relaxing, I was very surprised that no one seemed to stay up in the bar after dinner.

Overall this hotel looked fab, has great staff and has potential to be great - its just not there yet. It lacks the little touches that are now the norm when you charge as much as they do. 4.5 star, but not yet a 5 star.

Room Tip: If you want to be at he heart of the hotel (near the restaurants, pool and spa etc) then make sure y...
4  Thank Hollysam
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Hollysam

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay.
I was pleased to see you enjoyed our facilities and location as well as some great interactions with our highly spirited associates. I am particularly proud of Priscilla who is always receiving great comments from our guests.
I was interested to read about your experiences in our restaurants – we know we have a great choice of cuisines and as a result I can assure you we are relooking at our menus in order to continue to offer the best variety of restaurants on the island.
I take on board your comments about the minibar food options and we will be correcting this shortly.

I do hope that you will change your mind one day and return to this beautiful corner of the world.

Regards,

Resident Manager

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The St Regis Mauritius is simply one of the top resorts I ever stayed at : BREATHTAKING. And as a SPG platinum member, I can say that it is the best SPG resort I ever stayed at (still have to try their sister resort in Bora Bora though). It blew me away from the moment that I arrived (after a long, 60 minute transfer from the airport). Let me introduce myself as a seasoned traveler who has stayed in some of the most luxurious hotels of the world (Aman, Four Seasons, Banyan tree, Rosewood, Como, to name a few). When travelling, I like to pick my hotels by using websites such as Kiwicollection, Conde Nast magazine, Travel & Leisure (see my other reviews). So I only like the best of the best.

2 comments before I start this review :
- we were supposed to stay at the hotel last year but because of the delay in the opening we were accommodated in 2012 the Four Seasons and One & Only hotels, hence making us able to compare what I would call the 3 top properties of the island. No discussion about it : the St Regis is the BIG winner. The Four Seasons may offer the same in terms of service, and it even offers better food (in my opinion), but it totally lacks the STUNNING location of the St Regis (I keep repeating it). The One and Only hotel is not playing in the same category anymore as the St Regis and Four Seasons (unless they renovate their property).
- I wrote in my review last year that Mauritius and its beaches are inferior to the Seychelles and the Maldives. The latter islands are still far beautiful as compared to Mauritius, but (there is a but now!) the exception to that must be the Le Morne corner of the island where the St Regis is located. The latter really offers a tropical idyll and comes close to absolute paradise.

Things that I did like a lot :
- LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION : the location is STUNNING : a deep blue lagoon with open views to the ocean, a white sand beach (although not powdery, but rather rough coral sand) lined by a lush vegetation, gorgeous tropical mountains as background. This comes close to absolute paradise. It is amazing that the St Regis was able to secure this exclusive island spot.
- the common areas of the hotel (all designed to give the impression of a colonial mansion) are tremendously impressive, even more at night than during the day. Chic, chic, überchic.
- the main swimming pool is very large and not crowded at all with lots of day chairs and cabanas. It felt a little chilly though (so I would advise the St Regis staff to heat the pool a little bit more). They also have a second, smaller and warmer pool.
- you can witness very impressive sunsets from the beach (not possible from the high end resorts Four Seasons and One & Only on the East coast).
- Rooms : very impressive, luxurious and tastily decorated. The beds are heavenly soft. Bathroom offer all the amenities you can wish for. I think that almost all rooms have ocean views (incredible!) and you are just a few steps away from the beach.
- Staff : very helpful and friendly. Simply the best!
- SPA : the best massage I ever received. Kudos to the therapist (forgot his name).
- Wifi is available everywhere, even when standing with your feet in the ocean. So, you can surf the internet on your tablets while lounging near the pool or on the beach.
- They offer special events for (platinum only?) SPG guests.
- They have 5 restaurants on site (no risk at all that you would be gastronomically bored), all serving excellent food. I found the breakfast to be the food-wise highlight of the day.

Maybe some suggestions to the owners :
- while the food is absolutely excellent and of high quality, I do not rate it as mind-blowing or memorable. I think this is the one and only point where I would rate the Four Seasons a little better.
- while the massages are out of this world, this is the first hotel that I encountered where you could only book a full-body massage for 90 minutes (or at least, so I was told by the spa receptionist). All the other luxury hotels that I stayed in so far offered a 60 minute full-body massage. While I do not mind being massaged for another extra 30 minutes, it did add up a lot to the costs as compared to the 60 minutes back-only massage they offer.
- there was a bad smell in our room that bothered us from time to time. We reported the problem on several occasions, and they always promptly sent someone to deal with the problem. However, when a hotel guest is reporting the same problems on 3 separate occasions in just 2 days time, it may be a better idea to offer him a room-change instead of always doing something about the problem (but in the end not being able to fix it). In order that they could fix the “smelly” problem permanently : our room number was 262.
- I missed the presence of one or more hot tubes near the beach (I am sure this feature would be liked by many guests on the more chilly or windy days).
- I would make the small pool an adults-only area, in order to reserve a corner of the resort for tranquility for those that are traveling without children.

I regret that we were not able to meet Bernard, the general manager. We saw him a lot with other guests, but unfortunately, he did not find an opportunity to meet us (of course I understand that he is busy and cannot meet all hotel guests in person). I guess we just wanted to congratulate him and his team on the wonderful holiday experience they offer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank LuxTravelExpert

Dear talula001

What a joy it was to read to our team this morning an impressive review from a Top Contributor about your recent stay at The St. Regis.
I was pleased to see you took so much time to put your thoughts to your keyboard. Especially after returning one year later to enjoy your vacation! The team continues to focus to provide great experiences to our guests and we are determined to fulfill your experience to all future guests in the resort.
I will take into account your suggestions for improvement this month in order to make some good improvements for the end of the year.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you through our doors again in the not too distant future.

Regards

Resident Manager

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel and it's facilities are exclusive. Wonderful beach (best beach compared to the other hotels in the surrounding), nice architecture and several different restaurant and bars make the stay an experience. The staff is very friendly and the activities program includes a lot of different offers including a nice tennis court in the middle of the well maintained gardens of the hotel. However the cleanness of the rooms is okay. The breakfast does not allow to come late (sharp 10.30 the breakfast closes) and the service at the beach is not professional; neither for help during starting up a beach day (towels, shade) nor for ordering drinks. Several dishes and empty glasses were standing around the entire day. It is a wonderful hotel indeed but it has not reached St. Regis status yet (compared e.g. to St Regis Nusa Dua Bali). If you expect St Regis you will not be entirely satisfied.

Dear Flexion

Thank you for your constructive comments of your recent stay.
I was pleased you consider us a 5 Star hotel with potential to go even further. With not even 12 months open, we continue to get positive comments about guest experiences in the resort, and we will always remain focused on bringing the service to the next level which will be truly a personalized experience for each guest.
I will speak with our beach team in regards to some training when guests arrive at the beach, and certainly our F&B manager will be pleased to allow guests enjoy breakfast until later than 10.30 almost always.

We truly appreciate your time and look forward to encouraging you back to Mauritius in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 17, 2013

St Regis is what i would a call a US / UK 5 star experience. The Butler service concept was great and frankly the hotel coudn't do enough to fulfill our needs - which were more than most as we were 'honeymooning' with our baby. The hotel is also situated one of the best beaches on Mauritius and our Ocean View room enabled us to take in wonderful sunsets every evening. The restaurants are are mostly top notch, although i did leave the resort with a slightly dodgy tummy (although wife and baby both fine) - perhaps too much fine dining for me! Only downsides were the high cost of alcoholic drinks, the lack of clarity as to what food was available for our baby and the fact the 'extra's' were coming in at £150 per day, without trying very hard. But overall, excellent.

Room Tip: Ocean View is a must.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank peteandginalondon
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear peteandginalondon

I agree with you The St. Regis is a luxury New York brand and we are trying to translate this DNA into four Core Values: Uncompromising, Bespoke, Seductive and Address. The fact you call our hotel “Rock Star’ is a compliment to all of us and in particularly to our Mauritians incredible staff.

I am so happy that you all gain some pounds by tasting our delicious food prepared by our musketeers; Coco, Iwata, Jerome, Sebastien and Olivier.
We are so thankful for your generous comments and we cannot wait to welcome you back to ‘Rock’ and celebrate in style your first year of Wedding Anniversary.

Fond regards

Reviewed October 17, 2013

The St Regis Group have excelled themselves with the new and very luxurious St Regis Mauritius resort at Le Morne. From the moment we arrived the service was without exception the best I have ever encountered in global travel. As weary travellers we were whisked to our luxurious ocean view suites and all the details such as unpacking and registering done for us. Without fuss and with regard to the little things that make a difference. Waking the next morning to discover that it was paradise exactly as imagined, the coffee machine was easy, the coffee very good and that anything was now possible made the most wonderful beginning.
It is possible to say that the service got better, hard to image something that good could get better ,but it did! The St Regis staff are without exception the most wonderfully attentive, gracious and helpful people I have ever experienced. They believe in creating the most wonderful holiday experience and for us it was so. Nothing was too much trouble and so a birthday celebrated was attended to by everyone down to the last detail, such attention to detail and thoughtfulness was put into this celebration. The food is Devine, the choices (5 restaurants) exceptional (breakfast has exceptional range and choice and for dinner the floating market , to die for!) The environment and facilities are not only luxurious in every last detail but pristine as well.
The Iridium Spa deserves a special mention here too as it is the only place I have encountered where the before and after relaxation leaves you to reap the benefits of the treatment in luxurious gardened privacy for as long as you need, heaven!
We could not have wished for more in a holiday destination, all the dreams and expectations were realised. Try it, you will love it and be regenerated by the unique experience !

Room Tip: Choose the ocean view suites. The space on the balcony gives you a quiet tranquil outdoor room witho...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Bobbie B

What can I say, the beginning of your comments encapsulates what we want to achieve; we want to provide our discerning guests as soon as they enter the Resort an area of peace where they find a new freedom where they can forget their fears and have their senses, their tastes in levitation and they wake up every morning with happy memories of a service delivered with human touch by our incredible Mauritian Associates.

Olivier and his team of musketeers in the kitchen are over the moon with your comment ‘to die for!’ at the Floating Market where our Japanese Samurai Iwata creates a new dimension of culinary delights.

Once again thank you and please come back soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Morne
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Constance Prince Maurice
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!