“An outstanding hotel in an outstanding location”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Somerset West, South Africa
“An outstanding hotel in an outstanding location”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel has everything going for it and overall we were not disappointed. We were met by the General Manager who welcomed us to the hotel and other Guest Services managers were also regularly enquiring about our stay.
Our room was delightful and spacious with a balcony overlooking a glorious sandy beach; the bed and pillows were so comfortable; for breakfast we were spoilt for choice; and staff were attentive and genuinely caring. Of course one or two things do not go as intended but that is life. Providing they are attended to with the minimum of fuss, that is all you can hope for.
There are five restaurants on site, which I would in the main class as 'fine dining' which is ok but there are times when you just want a plain steak. We had to go off site for that which was a shame. The Boathouse restaurant, which is right on the beach, would have been the ideal place for an evening meal watching the sun go down but unfortunately wasn't open. Wine was also on the expensive side which is also a shame. Having said that, the St. Regis is a top end establishment and so one does expect higher prices...but still.
The hotel also has a range of free water sport activities; snorkelling, pedalo, canoes etc which is a nice touch.
Our personal butler (Amar) service was outstanding and really went the extra mile to make our stay memorable.
Overall we had a great time, thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west overlooking the beach. If you want to step out directly onto the beach, choose th...
1 Thank tonyfrasercross
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear tonyfrasercross

Thank you very much for your time in reviewing our resort.
I am glad you find your room comfortable and you enjoyed our glorious beach. I have passed your constructive comment to Chef Olivier in order to provide some plain simple quality food. I would like to really apologize for the closing of the Boathouse main kitchen; we unfortunately had an issue with the extractor system forcing us to close the main kitchen and to rely on a semi residential display and grill.
I am happy that you have enjoyed our water sport activities and your personal Butler Amar.

I trust you are both well and on behalf of the team, we all send you our best regards and hope to see you in 2014.

Bernard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Colchester
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have just returned home from a 10 night stay at the St Regis, and would recommend it to families with young children without reservation. This was my husband and I's first trip abroad with our 10 month old son, and we spent weeks deliberating our choice of destination and hotel. We were not disappointed!
The St Regis was suggested to us by our excellent travel agent Paul at Luxury Holidays Direct, as a baby friendly hotel, and I couldn't agree more. Our butlers should be given a special commendation for how hard they worked to keep us supplied with amenities for the baby and to make our stay enjoyable - thank you Hugo, Amar and Wassim!! We were provided with a cot, kettle, steriliser, bottle warmer, nappies, wipes and toiletries for the little one. At every meal we would either pre-order baby food or ask the chef to prepare something (e.g: mashed potato, pureed veg and grilled fish). The food was excellent for a weaning baby and very tasty.
The staff were wonderful with our son and spent lots of time playing with him and making him smile - one waitress in the main restaurant (I'm sorry I've forgotten your name!) was his special friend and would make sure he had fresh fruit prepared for every meal.
The staff at the kids club also deserve a special mention, as they were so helpful when we went there (daily!), and our son had a lovely time playing with their excellent selection of toys and books, and in their lovely, heated pool.
There were a few problems with our stay, but we always feel a hotel should be judged by how they deal with them. Our first room was the Manor House Ocean View Suite, and was a lovely room. Unfortunately on our first night we were kept awake until 2am by a party taking place at the pool bar with very loud music. I had to complain several times to the reception desk and eventually to the night manager before it was turned off. This unfortunately marred the start of our stay as we had been looking forward to a good night sleep and our baby was exhausted.
However, the next day our complaint was dealt with by the Director of Housekeeping, Lisa, and Head of Guest Relations, Cindy. We were offered a smaller, but quieter room at the end of the beach (St Regis Suite), and were very happy staying there for the remainder of our holiday. The walk to the main house was pleasant and we had a push chair which made it easier. Otherwise, there were numerous golf buggies for lifts.
There were a few minor problems with our new room - shower temperature, A/C not working, but these were resolved within a few hours of reporting them to our butler. Overall, if any matter for concern was raised with staff, it was dealt with very quickly and with minimum inconvenience - we appreciated that.
My husband and I are massage lovers, and both had 4 or 5 spa treatments each whilst staying - they were of a high standard and very enjoyable. We found it very easy to fill our days with meals, playing at the kids club, spa treatments and lounging with cocktails in the lovely Colonial décor of the main building or pool side.
We arranged 2 excursions whilst in Mauritius - one to the Caselas nature reserve, and the other to the 7 coloured sands, waterfall and nearby Black River Gorge. I highly recommend both - beautiful scenery, lush jungle and lots of bird life. We used a backpack for the baby as the terrain was too rough for a push chair. Our local travel agent Mauritours took very good care of us and provided a baby car seat for transfers.
In terms of the pools, the main pool was too cold for the baby (and most of the adults at the hotel!) - it was apparently heated to 27 degrees, but felt a lot colder to me. I managed a few refreshing dips, but found the "quiet" pool much warmer, and we mainly swam there or in the kids club pool. I'm sure in summer the main pool would be lovely. Ditto the sea was rather cold for swimming in Sept, but we managed a few quick dips.
I must say a quick word about the food too - as we have a young baby we were not sure how much we would venture out of the hotel, thus the quality of the meals was very important to us. We weren't disappointed. The breakfasts were extensive and with ample choice for all. Lunch we usually had in-room dining, which was pricy but tasty. Dinner at Le Manoir was outstanding, with plenty of local curries and choice to keep us happy for our whole time there. We ate twice at Simply India - both times absolutely outstanding meals for us and the baby were prepared. We were disappointed by Atsuko though - our one meal there was overpriced and the Wagu Beef was over cooked. When we chose a bottle of Sake, we were only given a small amount decanted from it, after being given the impression we were paying for the bottle. A misunderstanding I'm sure, but we didn't bother with Atsuko again.
We also want to thank another manager, John, for his excellent care and kindness towards us whilst we were there, and one of the other staff called Luc (recognisable by his string London accent!) who was lovely. Marie-Eliza from the Butler Concierge service sent us regular e-mails leading up to our stay to ensure all we needed for the baby would be available. Although I didn't meet her in person, she was so helpful and lovely to talk to on the phone. Thank you!
We really needed this to be a relaxing and luxurious holiday, and that is exactly what we got. I would recommend this hotel highly to any family venturing on their first long haul holiday with a baby. Many thanks St Regis - we'll be back!

Room Tip: If you are looking for quiet, best to pick a room further down the beach and away from the main buil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BerryColchester
Dear BerryColchester

Thank you, thank you, thank you for an incredible review. I am sure all from Luxury Holidays will be delighted as much as I am delighted. It true we are a family friendly hotel and Family Traditions at the St. Regis is paramount.
As I said in my previous reviews, we want to provide an area where families reconnect and spend a Grand Moment together.
I have spoken with all the Associates you kindly mention in your review. I am also delighted that you enjoyed the Kite Flyers Club and the Iridium spa. Sheila and Dr Arun are overwhelmed by your kind comments.
Thank you for your constructive comments regarding Atsuko, I have spoken with Chef Iwata regarding the quality of the wagyu. You made me smile with your comment regarding Luc who does the perfect imitation of Sir Michael Caine.

Once again from all of us from the bottom of our heart, please come back soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had an amazing ten night stay at St Regis for our honeymoon in August. The location is beautiful, the rooms are stunning, the food is outstanding, the table tennis table helped when it rained, the UK sports (Ashes and football) on tv helped keep the 'husband' entertained too! Overall we were really happy we picked this resort and would recommend it as a honeymoon destination for anyone, as long as you know what to expect and are not concerned about the final bill. The food in Simply India and the Floating Market were the stand-out meals. Atul Kochhar should be proud of the chefs at Simply India!
We agree with a lot of the comments on here about some staff being amazing and going above and beyond-they added greatly to our experience! In particular David and his wine assistance! We're trying to find that tokaji here! The fantastic Bloody Mary instructor- and one of our amazing waitresses at Floating Market-she gave us our very own green papayas and recipe, and she was great fun too-a treasure of the resort!
There were a few less helpful staff with attitudes that didn't match standards and expectations. Our butler was a no show, with one example being that it took over an hour and three phone calls to get ice one evening. We were also often ignored or made to wait a long time for drinks or plates to be cleared. We wondered if the sudden drop in service by many of the staff was because we weren't giving huge tips with every bill. This in itself talks to our major issue with our time at St Regis. We spent a large amount each lunch and also on wine with dinner and upgrading our half board meal plan. So much so that our ten nights of half board had a bill of more than £2500. We didn't eat or drink to excess, but the prices are so outrageously over-priced. For example, a small bowl of fries is £8! And if you're not on a meal plan, buffet breakfast is £60, thank goodness we were on a meal plan. We opted for the maximum meal choice, half board, which is 'free breakfast' and 'free dinner'. But there are supplements for certain dishes at each time, and the two 'premium restaurants' -Simply India and Atsuko are not included, you just get a 25% discount of the food.
We wouldn't have stayed in the resort for lunch either if we weren't on honeymoon. And we just accepted is was £25 for a burger. The other expensive thing is the spa. So expensive that we didn't bother. I know this 'hotel chain' is top end and attracts a certain clientele (hence Russian versions of Vogue in the foyer). But waiting for 1.5hrs for a cocktail by one of the pools doesn't justify the £20 cost of each one, or justify a significant tip!
Interestingly with the tips, the specific staff don't receive individual tips at the time, any additional tips goes to a central pot that is equally distributed at the end of the year! So it must be annoying to work along side colleagues that are rude/ not nearly as nice.
One comment on the room is that in agreement with previous reports, the tiles in the bathroom aredangerously slippy so be careful! And the heating in the room didn't work, so it can feel chilly, especially when there's an anti-cyclone in August! So pick your travel dates wisely.
There are two pools, the larger one by the main hotel area (very cold!) and a smaller heated one (great to be heated but we could hardly use it as so many screaming children were rotating through it!). This was another massive let down and one of the most disappointing aspects of our honeymoon. There needs to be an adult-only pool as at any one time there were 4 children under the age of 8 screaming and splashing in the small 4x10 meter pool.
Overall, some of the staff helped us see past the cost, the snotty staff and the cold rainy weather for the first two days. I hope the whole set of staff can raise their game to match the great ones!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MurraL2013
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear MurraL2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have just spoken with Atul and he is indeed very proud of Sehan and Angshuman our Chefs at Simply India.

I am pleased that you find the Food & Beverage staff amazing and going above and beyond as this is the most important aspect of our industry; to provide you an area of peace where you can find a new freedom with a seamless service delivered from the heart. I was indeed very concerned about your comment regarding your Butler and I have spoken to Lisa our Director of Butler service and Housekeeping and we will both brief her team in tomorrow’s weekly Butlers operations meeting to highlight the perception of service you had.

I have taken good note on your comments on the meal plans. Kindly note that we provide half board in three out of our five restaurants and this is quite common within the hospitality industry; besides the menus in the three restaurants, we also provide 25 % of discount in our two signature restaurants Atsuko and Simply India.

I have also noted your comments on the prices at our Iridium Spa and spoke with Dr Arun. As you are aware we do propose three different brands with three different pricing for our discerning guests to choose from. When setting our pricing we carefully studied the competition and we think that our massages are reasonably priced and generally recognized as a good value for money. We also have the Iridium promotion of the day where guests get 20% discount on the advertised treatment; in addition to this we offer a special 20% discount voucher at Atsuko every evening for all our Body wellbeing massages for those who dine at this venue.

I was also concerned about your comments on the pool as we do heat our pools (there is only 5 to 6 hotels on the Island of Mauritius who heat their pools) in order to please all our guests we heat the large pool at 26.5° so our guests can enjoy laps and the small pool at 30°. I am sorry you were disturbed by our young VIPs. The Resort is extremely popular with young couples and their children and we are all facing this new trend in the world of hospitality where young parents will never want to leave their children behind like it was in the past as they want to bring their children with them in order to reconnect and celebrate the family traditions in style, however I would like to apologize as we should have given you a room in a quieter area.

Thank you again for your feedback and I really hope to welcome you back soon

Warmest regards
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Just came from our short stay for our honeymoon. The service is outstanding even compared to the best hotels in the world. Upon our arrival, we were introduced to our butler Geereesh who checked us in and did a tour of the hotel. We were also pleasantly suprised to be offered a bottle of champagne and a massage for 2 as part of their welcoming gift for our honeymoon.
The spa was to die for with professional staffs that took care of all our needs. My wife also had the guava milk massage and man, was I delighted when she came back relaxed (Happy wife, Happy life). They also had a movie theatre, library and 5 restaurants to choose from. We ate at the floating market and Atsuko and the food was up to standard.
I had an incident during breakfast where the orange juice bottle cap was loose and as a result, my white pants were splashed. I confess I did behave like an d**k to the manager,Vikash as my wife just bought those for me. Well, he contacted the butler and had my pants sent to the laundry and within 3 hours, they were given back to me dry and as new!
Service was exceptional except for Tuesday morning for our breakfast where our waiter did ignore us quite a lot. We were seated at the last table next to Simply India at about 9.30 am and he brought toasts to all the tables except ours. When asked for ketchup, he never brought it and we had to ask another waiter for it.
All in all, excellent hotel that pays attention to the small details and do treat their guests uniquely!

1 Thank StevenN5
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear StevenN5

We are reading and reading and reading and reading your generous comments.
We were so happy when you compared us to one of the best hotel in the world. Dr Arun and his team are also very pleased that you enjoyed the guava milk massage. I was pleased also that Vikash reacted very fast. I am pleased that overall you were delighted by the service; I have also taken good note on the incident of Tuesday morning where the waiter did not pay enough attention; please be assured that I will speak with Fabienne and Mathieu in order to retrain our young waiter with Service Culture and our ‘Yes we can’ attitude.

Thank you so much again for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you both next year

Warmest regards
Birmingham
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I'm in the middle of a ten night honeymoon, and could not wait to share how amazing this lovely hotel is. The setting, next to Le Morne is dramatic, the rooms built into the landscape so sympathetically that you completely forget this is a big hotel, and the service is without question. Amadee, our butler, has made our honeymoon. Nothing seems too much trouble and the little touches of thoughtfulness make such a difference.
I will add more once we return home, but its difficult to imagine anything taking away from this place. So glad we came.
Tim

1 Thank timmaycock
Dear timmaycock

I am delighted when reading your email that we have been able for the first 5 days of your honeymoon to put your senses and tastes in a state of levitation.
We are so touched by your generous comments. We are lucky indeed to be near the iconic Le Morne and as we say in Mauritian Creole: “Nous grand montagne Le Morne qui coupe zot lésouffe” which means: “Our great Le Morne mountain which takes your breath away…” I am also over the moon that Amedee played a major role; he indeed represents the perfect DNA of the St. Regis Core Values: Uncompromising, Bespoke and Seductive.

I will be reading this morning in the meeting your comments as they are an encouragement for the team.

Fond regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Currently on our honeymoon so couldn't have picked a better place than the St Regis Hotel. With excellent food and service the hotel is totally worthwhile!

On arrival we were greeted by the staff and shown to rooms swiftly where we were able to check in and meet our butler for the stay. The butlers, Kavish & Vijay are very attentive and ensured we are fully aware of all the features in the room. The service has been excellent so far as they are only a phone call (or email) away and help with booking the evening restaurants.

On our first night we enjoyed a fabulous meal at the Floating Market. The food was fresh especially the sushi which is to die for. There is a huge variety especially if you are a vegitarian (like my husband). The waiters were also very attentive and ensured the plates were cleaned away promptly.

Our room is a junior suite and facing the beach, which is great for seeing the morning sunrise and evening sunset. This is the ideal view for anyone on a romantic getaway. The room is close enough to easily get to the array of restaurants but still remains private.

The hotel offers a huge array of activities with a drawing room with games and a inhouse cinema, There is also a number of free watersports you can do at the hotel

Looking forward to the rest of our stay at the ST Regis Hotel

Room Tip: Junior Suite Beach front / first floor (Room 273) a must have especially for some privacy
1 Thank Jaysica M
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Jaysica M

I am so happy that you are spending your honeymoon with us.
I am very proud of Kavish and Vijay your Butlers and will pass your comments to them. I will also be speaking with Chef Vishal who is the best Sushi maker in Mauritius.
I agree with you that the sunset from your Junior Suite is incredible and will always fill your heart with great memories.

I am delighted to have been able to talk to you and I am placing a nice bottle of wine for you tonight to enjoy at Simply India.

Fond regards
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I come from england, Stayed here for 4 nights with my boyfriend his dad and wife and his thre younger children . We all loved it and our ages range from 45, 30, 23,21,13,8 and to babies. it was a lovey break helpfull staff rooms pefect food was nice , nice room views . You won't regret booking it. Things for all ages to do. And well seperated a good gyms to use they have a multiple resturants to eat from . Bicyle hire lovey spar area games room water sports great bars on the beach . Good evening entertainment .

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank zairezaire
Dear zairezaire

We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your four-night stay with us and specially delighted that you find our staff very helpful.
I have passed your generous comments to our Executive Chef Olivier who works tirelessly to give our guests an amazing culinary journey.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Morne
Constance Le Prince Maurice
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!