“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I would love to give the St Regis a glowing recommendation, as it is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of Mauritius and the rooms are fantastic, but unfortunately my experience of the 5 nights we spent there left me with mixed feelings about the place.
We booked a Junior Suite under Starwood Platinum, and although I realize that we are not guaranteed an upgrade, I was contacted the week prior to arrival by the butler service saying that we would be staying in a 1 bedroom St Regis Suite. My wife and I were of course very excited about the upgrade. On arrival we where taken to a Junior Suite. When I asked what had happened to the upgrade, I was told that we had been upgraded already which was not the case as we had paid for a Junior Suite. I explained that we had been contacted by the butler service prior to arrival and I had emailed again to confirm what room type we would be staying in. After a lot of confusion including me seeing on the check in form that our room allocation had been changed with "Tippex" we where told that there had been a mistake but unfortunately we would only be able to move rooms the next day. Its not an ideal situation having to move rooms as you cannot unpack and settle in. Upon moving to our new suite the next day, our new butler was not aware that we had moved in, and we bumped into him by chance. The room however was great, but the manner in which it was dealt with, was not in line with a resort of this nature. I realize that the resort is still new and there are teething problems but the service that we received from the staff was hit and miss, some where amazing, whilst others didn't seem to care less. The food we felt was also great at times, but at others very average, with the lunches being very basic for the prices that one was paying. Call me crazy but if you are paying close to $30 for a panini or $45 for a hamburger,they need to be good. All in all the setting is incredible and it's a well laid out resort with great rooms, but more effort needs to be put into ensuring a consistent level of service and food if one is paying for 5 star. St Regis Management, you are more than welcome to contact me to discuss in more depth a few issues we experienced with the above. Incidentally, we where never approached by any form of management throughout our stay to check on how things where going, which we thought was a little odd.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brin K
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Brin K

Thank you so much for your very constructive feedback; I was delighted that despite your mix feelings you rated us 5 / 5 on location, rooms and cleanliness.
I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding your upgrade and for the inconvenience caused. We are always delighted and proud to welcome our Platinum members and to do our utmost to provide them with an area of peace where all their tastes and senses are in levitation.
I am really sorry as I understand the way you feel, there is nothing more upsetting to have to repack and unpack and I have spoken with Lisa our Director of Butler service to improve the communication within the Butlers specially when there is a room move.
Since we have opened the resort we are doing our best to constantly improve the services and I am sure that you have been monitoring our Trip Advisor closely but excellence is a journey and we have to work harder in ensuring a consistent and a seamless service.
I have also addressed your comments regarding the food with Olivier Belliard our Executive Chef and I would like if you could email me directly if you have time to give me more specific details about your experience in our restaurants.
I am very sorry if we have not met you as we pride ourselves to speak to all our discerning guests as my team and I believe that luxury is in the emotion and we must engage and nurture with our guests.

I would like to thank you once again for your comments that we have read in our afternoon operations meeting and I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you again.

Warmest regards
Bernard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is magnificent.
Staff are friendly & exceptionally well trained.
Food is delicious.
Location is superb, especially for surfing & kitesurfing.
We are most definitely of the impression that all of the staff genuinely want to make your stay a happy & enjoyable one and they go out of their way to do so.
We travel to Le Morne annually and this by far the best holiday experience we've had.
Thank you & well done St. Regis!
We have absolutely no hesitation recommending this resort, two very happy guests.
Warrick & Barbara

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WarrickCA
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Warrick M

Thank you so much for your kind comments.
We have read your comments in our afternoon meeting and it boosted the morale of all our department heads.
We are delighted to hear that you travel to Le Morne every year and I hope you have found your permanent home in The St. Regis Mauritius Resort.

I am aware you are still in-house and Ronan and I would like to invite you for a lovely drink.

Fond regards
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 16, 2013

In 30 years of traveling I have never experienced a welcome like I did when I arrived with my family 4 days ago... and that level of gracious hospitality and fabulous service has continued throughout our stay. The setting, the rooms, the restaurants, the spa... everything about the hotel is magical... a place of dreams.

When I try to think of describing what it's like here I fall short... details seem trivial. So hard to capture the feeling here in words... so forgive me, for specifics look to other reviews.

If you're looking for a place to relax, be pampered, recharge, or just escape reality... the St. Regis Mauritius is the perfect place. The only problem? Like me... you'll never want to leave.

Room Tip: Book a Suite on the Beach
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank WINEandTRAVEL
Dear WINEandTRAVEL

Ronan and I and the entire team had an immense pleasure to welcome you and your family.
We are very touched that you find our level of hospitality gracious and our service fabulous.
Our aim has always been to provide an area of peace where all our discerning guests can find a new freedom and reconnect with their loved ones and have their senses and tastes in levitation.

We read and read again your comments in our morning meeting and we were overwhelmed by your comments. We would like to thank you again for your generosity.

Fond regards
Bernard, Ronan and the team
Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I visited this magnificant hotel last month as he is a keen kite surfer and the location of this hotel could not be better for his sport.

We have stayed in many hotels around the world but I can honestly say that this is the most luxurious!

The rooms are huge, clean and stylish. Room service is excellent and the "little extra's" in the room are top class.

The staff go out of their way to make you feel special and welcome. You get greeted by name and they do everything in their power to make you feel relaxed and comfortable.

Poolside service is tops. You get dry towels, refresher towels, fruit kebaps, little smoothies and endless smiles. Go for a quick swim and you bound to have your towel either replaced or neatly folded over your deck chair again by the time you return. Need your sunglasses cleaned or a magazine to read - no problem.... Feeling the heat - no problem - ice cold water is always at hand.

We stayed 9 nights and I still did not get to try everything at the buffet breakfast. You are spoilt for choice. Name it - they will have it. There is something for you no matter what part of the world you come from. The food is extremely tasty and tastefully presented. Just writing this review is making me hungry...

Your personal butler is just a phone call away. This hotel and its service just take "top class" to another level.

Being a new hotel they are keen for honest opinions to continually better themselves in the smallest way, which is why I will mention just the one thing I think they could improve or change. Their smaller pool is advertised as the quiet pool in the quiet zone. However, this was not the case. Our room overlooked the "quiet" pool which seemed to be the main pool for all the children. I have nothing against children at all, but there are couples who do not have children, are on honeymoon or simply want to enjoy a holiday without the kids. ( and to those a quiet zone with a quiet pool is therefore an attraction) I understand that it is winter there so the hotel is not that busy and the smaller pool was warmer.(although both are heated ) Maybe they should advertise it as a quiet pool "in season".

Despite the above I can honestly say that the St Regis offered us the best hotel experience we have ever had.

Thank you and well done.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tanja K
Dear Tanja K

Thank you so much for your lovely comments.
We are delighted that you are rating us as one of the most luxurious hotel around the world.
I was personally touched by your comment on our Associates who are extremely lucky to be surrounded by an energized team of Mauritians who are consumed by their desire to pamper and nurture all our guests, and put your senses into levitation.

I was happy that you enjoyed the pool service, buffet breakfast and The St. Regis Butler service.
We have taken into consideration your comments as we value the voice of our guests and we will ensure in the future that the small pool is a quiet zone.

Once again thank you so much and we cannot wait to see you both back

With warm regards
Lisboa
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Me and my wife know quite a few hotels near the beach around the world and all i can say about this one is that it has made the our own top three. Why?
Well, it's location is perfect, the rooms are huge and classy, the staff is very well trained (for instance, most of them knew our names) and very professional but yet warm and friendly - specially the guys at the gym - and the spa is excellent. The breakfast has a great variety of delicious items and the food at the three restaurants which are included in the regular meal's plan is excellent.
But make no mistake. It's a expensive hotel.
Besides that, the other only downside i can think of is that the other restaurants (namely the japanese) are not included in the meal plan and are quite expensive.
Having said that, i must point that the people that attend us at the reception upon arrival didn´t know how to operate the credit card machine in order not to ask for the pin code, like is common in so many other places around the globe. That made us waste a entire morning calling home to retrieve the code (which we had forgotten) and was unpleasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pum2009
Dear Pum2009

We have read and read and read your comments and we were overwhelmed by your kind words.
I have congratulated Jonathan and Arnaud from the Fitness and Dr Arun from the Spa on your behalf. I have also passed your comments to Fabienne and Olivier. It is rewarding to see that you both enjoyed The St. Regis Culinary Journey.

I would like to thank you also for your constructive comment on the meal plan and I want to assure you that we have retrained the Guest Experience team on how to use a credit card machine.

See you soon and fond regards
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend the final four nights of our African honeymoon at this beautiful hotel. There are so many amazing features, amenities, and restaurants to enjoy, that you truly never have to leave the resort to have an incredible experience. I'll try to summarize our trip and recommendations:

1) Make sure you take advantage of the Spa! The spa services and amenities were beyond anything we've experienced before - we ended up doing two massages our last day because we were so impressed.

2) Enjoy all of the water sports. We spent an afternoon water skiing, wake boarding and paddle boating - and it was an absolutely breathtaking experience. We have extraordinary pictures of boating on the Indian ocean.

3) The service staff will help with anything at any time. Our butler was always available and tried to always exceed our expectations. They set up a romantic dinner on our balcony for our last night that was the perfect ending to our trip. Thank you!

4) The rooms/views are beyond compare. I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say that I don't know if I'll ever stay in a room as nice as the one we had at the St. Regis Mauritius. Incredible views, luxurious features, spacious balconies, and one of the nicest beds we've slept on! It was hard to leave our room every morning because of how amazing it was.

The resort is still new so the staff is also very open to feedback and I actually believe they're looking for ways to improve at all times.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Thank you to the St Regis staff for making our honeymoon truly the trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Oceanview and we were blessed to have a grand suite. impossible to be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe D
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Joe D,

We are extremely grateful you have taken the time to write a review of your stay.
I am immensely proud of our team who are continuing to find ways of looking after each and every guest. We have guests from all over the world with many different needs and our team works tirelessly to ensure we exceed expectations over and over.

I am pleased you liked our oceanview rooms – these receive continuous praise from our guests as do all of our facilities and restaurants including the watersports club.

I trust you and your wife have many years of happiness and we have been delighted to have been part of the start of your married life.

Looking forward to your return,

Ronan
Resident Manager
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I will NEVER not stay at a St Regis again. Anything else would be a such a disappointment in comparison.

This was my 4th time to the island of Mauritius, and the St Regis Mauritius blew all of my 3 prior 5 star visits out of the water.

The rooms were out of this world. Modern, clean, luxurious and large! Our rooms were cleaned promptly as we left for breakfast each morning with all our clothes left out, neatly folded each and every day. Turn down service was always such a treat, with St Regis slippers placed on a linen sheet at the side of our beds every night, and our vanity products neatly placed on a linen sheet for easy access the next morning. Occasionally we were left a small note, detailing the weather for the next day so as to plan our day. They think of everything!

The butlers. What a treat. We were never told no, only 'with pleasure'. There wasn't a request too big, or too crazy. We needed batteries, a laptop charger with a Mauritius adapter, yoghurts to take tablets late at night, bags unpacked on arrival and packed on departure... and the list goes on. All received with a genuine smile. Whenever we struggled with anything, be it connecting to the wifi, connecting our USB to the TV, they were there without hesitation to help accommodate us.

Each morning the beach was raked, the loungers wiped, umbrellas erected, and rolled towels placed perfecting on each lounger, with the St Regis monogram. If you opt for a day at the pool, they have personal cabanas with the most divine day beds! Every couple of hours they come round with either fresh water, shots of sorbet (I had watermelon and mango) or wet small hand towels to cool the brow. In the afternoon they also have a ice-cream and sorbet cart with delicious selections! And when sunset encroached and the weather got a little nippy, they come around with little tea cups of hot chocolate.

The food: sensational. It was evident that such thought, precision and passion went into every single dish. The range was expansive too- from the classic club sandwich and fries served with an array of dipping sauces, to potato gnocchi with truffle oil and aged giraumon puree, from spaghetti bolognaise to crusted salmon with chill flakes, fresh coconut, capers, tomatoes and Perquillos. We were spoilt for choice, however if there was something you were particularly craving, the chef was more than happy to whip you up whatever your heart desired! The breakfast buffet was the most exciting for me- salmon eggs benedict, bubbly, waffles, French toast, sushi, cold meats, pastries that just melt in your mouth, hot chocolate, flavoured milks aaaand the list goes on.

The spa is quite extraordinary. Each room is excessively large, with its own full bath (so you can change in your room, rather than in a communal 'gym locker room'), with its own full steam shower. The room also boasts a full outdoor verandah to relax post your massage. Upon arrival at the spa, you get to pick your oil scent, room temperature and choice of music to play during your massage. Once your massage is finished, your choice of tea is made to wind down even further, and you get to relax as you please, either in your room or in the other facilities offered by the spa. Oh and the massage was incredible, of course! Just incredible.

The staff were exceptional. I have never been treated with such genuine kindness and concern before. From the concierge personnel, to the porters, from the waiters to the drivers. And while on the topic of drivers, we had the nicest gentleman who drove us around, in search of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. He drove us wherever we pleased, giving us the most interesting history lessons as we pasted something significant. Unfortunately, we failed to find our ice cream. However, on return back to St Regis, we got talking to the Head of housekeeping, Lisa, who made a couple of phone calls... and voila, a handful of tubs of Ben and Jerry's arrived at my door the next day!! Can you believe it? Where else would they go to such trouble to make your stay so special? My mother also felt sick the one day and they had the most beautiful bouquet of flowers sent over to wish her a speedy recovering. How thoughtful? You really do feel like you're the only person at St Regis, with such personal attention to every detail, and genuine concern for your happiness and making sure your stay is the most memorable. I couldn't have asked for anything more... but I got it. The last evening we were there, I was surprised with a birthday cake! I've never felt more spoilt in my entire life.

There wasn't anything more I could have ask for, absolute perfection on every possible level. Nothing else compares.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank julioribeiro
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear julioribeiro

Thank you so kindly for your wonderful and extensive review of your stay at The St. Regis last month! I am so pleased you had a chance to enjoy it and even more so that you had the time to write a review.
These reviews are shared every morning with our teams, line by line and it helps keep everyone cheerful and motivated for the rest of the week! I will pass on your comments to all our associates including Lisa, who is amongst a team of exceptionally bright stars, who shine bright for our guests.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to The St. Regis in the near future.

Best regards

Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!