“St. Regis Mauritius... Redefining Paradise”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed August 16, 2013

In 30 years of traveling I have never experienced a welcome like I did when I arrived with my family 4 days ago... and that level of gracious hospitality and fabulous service has continued throughout our stay. The setting, the rooms, the restaurants, the spa... everything about the hotel is magical... a place of dreams.

When I try to think of describing what it's like here I fall short... details seem trivial. So hard to capture the feeling here in words... so forgive me, for specifics look to other reviews.

If you're looking for a place to relax, be pampered, recharge, or just escape reality... the St. Regis Mauritius is the perfect place. The only problem? Like me... you'll never want to leave.

Room Tip: Book a Suite on the Beach
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank WINEandTRAVEL
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear WINEandTRAVEL

Ronan and I and the entire team had an immense pleasure to welcome you and your family.
We are very touched that you find our level of hospitality gracious and our service fabulous.
Our aim has always been to provide an area of peace where all our discerning guests can find a new freedom and reconnect with their loved ones and have their senses and tastes in levitation.

We read and read again your comments in our morning meeting and we were overwhelmed by your comments. We would like to thank you again for your generosity.

Fond regards
Bernard, Ronan and the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I visited this magnificant hotel last month as he is a keen kite surfer and the location of this hotel could not be better for his sport.

We have stayed in many hotels around the world but I can honestly say that this is the most luxurious!

The rooms are huge, clean and stylish. Room service is excellent and the "little extra's" in the room are top class.

The staff go out of their way to make you feel special and welcome. You get greeted by name and they do everything in their power to make you feel relaxed and comfortable.

Poolside service is tops. You get dry towels, refresher towels, fruit kebaps, little smoothies and endless smiles. Go for a quick swim and you bound to have your towel either replaced or neatly folded over your deck chair again by the time you return. Need your sunglasses cleaned or a magazine to read - no problem.... Feeling the heat - no problem - ice cold water is always at hand.

We stayed 9 nights and I still did not get to try everything at the buffet breakfast. You are spoilt for choice. Name it - they will have it. There is something for you no matter what part of the world you come from. The food is extremely tasty and tastefully presented. Just writing this review is making me hungry...

Your personal butler is just a phone call away. This hotel and its service just take "top class" to another level.

Being a new hotel they are keen for honest opinions to continually better themselves in the smallest way, which is why I will mention just the one thing I think they could improve or change. Their smaller pool is advertised as the quiet pool in the quiet zone. However, this was not the case. Our room overlooked the "quiet" pool which seemed to be the main pool for all the children. I have nothing against children at all, but there are couples who do not have children, are on honeymoon or simply want to enjoy a holiday without the kids. ( and to those a quiet zone with a quiet pool is therefore an attraction) I understand that it is winter there so the hotel is not that busy and the smaller pool was warmer.(although both are heated ) Maybe they should advertise it as a quiet pool "in season".

Despite the above I can honestly say that the St Regis offered us the best hotel experience we have ever had.

Thank you and well done.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tanja K

Dear Tanja K

Thank you so much for your lovely comments.
We are delighted that you are rating us as one of the most luxurious hotel around the world.
I was personally touched by your comment on our Associates who are extremely lucky to be surrounded by an energized team of Mauritians who are consumed by their desire to pamper and nurture all our guests, and put your senses into levitation.

I was happy that you enjoyed the pool service, buffet breakfast and The St. Regis Butler service.
We have taken into consideration your comments as we value the voice of our guests and we will ensure in the future that the small pool is a quiet zone.

Once again thank you so much and we cannot wait to see you both back

With warm regards

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Me and my wife know quite a few hotels near the beach around the world and all i can say about this one is that it has made the our own top three. Why?
Well, it's location is perfect, the rooms are huge and classy, the staff is very well trained (for instance, most of them knew our names) and very professional but yet warm and friendly - specially the guys at the gym - and the spa is excellent. The breakfast has a great variety of delicious items and the food at the three restaurants which are included in the regular meal's plan is excellent.
But make no mistake. It's a expensive hotel.
Besides that, the other only downside i can think of is that the other restaurants (namely the japanese) are not included in the meal plan and are quite expensive.
Having said that, i must point that the people that attend us at the reception upon arrival didn´t know how to operate the credit card machine in order not to ask for the pin code, like is common in so many other places around the globe. That made us waste a entire morning calling home to retrieve the code (which we had forgotten) and was unpleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pum2009

Dear Pum2009

We have read and read and read your comments and we were overwhelmed by your kind words.
I have congratulated Jonathan and Arnaud from the Fitness and Dr Arun from the Spa on your behalf. I have also passed your comments to Fabienne and Olivier. It is rewarding to see that you both enjoyed The St. Regis Culinary Journey.

I would like to thank you also for your constructive comment on the meal plan and I want to assure you that we have retrained the Guest Experience team on how to use a credit card machine.

See you soon and fond regards

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I were lucky enough to spend the final four nights of our African honeymoon at this beautiful hotel. There are so many amazing features, amenities, and restaurants to enjoy, that you truly never have to leave the resort to have an incredible experience. I'll try to summarize our trip and recommendations:

1) Make sure you take advantage of the Spa! The spa services and amenities were beyond anything we've experienced before - we ended up doing two massages our last day because we were so impressed.

2) Enjoy all of the water sports. We spent an afternoon water skiing, wake boarding and paddle boating - and it was an absolutely breathtaking experience. We have extraordinary pictures of boating on the Indian ocean.

3) The service staff will help with anything at any time. Our butler was always available and tried to always exceed our expectations. They set up a romantic dinner on our balcony for our last night that was the perfect ending to our trip. Thank you!

4) The rooms/views are beyond compare. I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say that I don't know if I'll ever stay in a room as nice as the one we had at the St. Regis Mauritius. Incredible views, luxurious features, spacious balconies, and one of the nicest beds we've slept on! It was hard to leave our room every morning because of how amazing it was.

The resort is still new so the staff is also very open to feedback and I actually believe they're looking for ways to improve at all times.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Thank you to the St Regis staff for making our honeymoon truly the trip of a lifetime.

Room Tip: Oceanview and we were blessed to have a grand suite. impossible to be disappointed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe D
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Joe D,

We are extremely grateful you have taken the time to write a review of your stay.
I am immensely proud of our team who are continuing to find ways of looking after each and every guest. We have guests from all over the world with many different needs and our team works tirelessly to ensure we exceed expectations over and over.

I am pleased you liked our oceanview rooms – these receive continuous praise from our guests as do all of our facilities and restaurants including the watersports club.

I trust you and your wife have many years of happiness and we have been delighted to have been part of the start of your married life.

Looking forward to your return,

Ronan
Resident Manager

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I will NEVER not stay at a St Regis again. Anything else would be a such a disappointment in comparison.

This was my 4th time to the island of Mauritius, and the St Regis Mauritius blew all of my 3 prior 5 star visits out of the water.

The rooms were out of this world. Modern, clean, luxurious and large! Our rooms were cleaned promptly as we left for breakfast each morning with all our clothes left out, neatly folded each and every day. Turn down service was always such a treat, with St Regis slippers placed on a linen sheet at the side of our beds every night, and our vanity products neatly placed on a linen sheet for easy access the next morning. Occasionally we were left a small note, detailing the weather for the next day so as to plan our day. They think of everything!

The butlers. What a treat. We were never told no, only 'with pleasure'. There wasn't a request too big, or too crazy. We needed batteries, a laptop charger with a Mauritius adapter, yoghurts to take tablets late at night, bags unpacked on arrival and packed on departure... and the list goes on. All received with a genuine smile. Whenever we struggled with anything, be it connecting to the wifi, connecting our USB to the TV, they were there without hesitation to help accommodate us.

Each morning the beach was raked, the loungers wiped, umbrellas erected, and rolled towels placed perfecting on each lounger, with the St Regis monogram. If you opt for a day at the pool, they have personal cabanas with the most divine day beds! Every couple of hours they come round with either fresh water, shots of sorbet (I had watermelon and mango) or wet small hand towels to cool the brow. In the afternoon they also have a ice-cream and sorbet cart with delicious selections! And when sunset encroached and the weather got a little nippy, they come around with little tea cups of hot chocolate.

The food: sensational. It was evident that such thought, precision and passion went into every single dish. The range was expansive too- from the classic club sandwich and fries served with an array of dipping sauces, to potato gnocchi with truffle oil and aged giraumon puree, from spaghetti bolognaise to crusted salmon with chill flakes, fresh coconut, capers, tomatoes and Perquillos. We were spoilt for choice, however if there was something you were particularly craving, the chef was more than happy to whip you up whatever your heart desired! The breakfast buffet was the most exciting for me- salmon eggs benedict, bubbly, waffles, French toast, sushi, cold meats, pastries that just melt in your mouth, hot chocolate, flavoured milks aaaand the list goes on.

The spa is quite extraordinary. Each room is excessively large, with its own full bath (so you can change in your room, rather than in a communal 'gym locker room'), with its own full steam shower. The room also boasts a full outdoor verandah to relax post your massage. Upon arrival at the spa, you get to pick your oil scent, room temperature and choice of music to play during your massage. Once your massage is finished, your choice of tea is made to wind down even further, and you get to relax as you please, either in your room or in the other facilities offered by the spa. Oh and the massage was incredible, of course! Just incredible.

The staff were exceptional. I have never been treated with such genuine kindness and concern before. From the concierge personnel, to the porters, from the waiters to the drivers. And while on the topic of drivers, we had the nicest gentleman who drove us around, in search of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. He drove us wherever we pleased, giving us the most interesting history lessons as we pasted something significant. Unfortunately, we failed to find our ice cream. However, on return back to St Regis, we got talking to the Head of housekeeping, Lisa, who made a couple of phone calls... and voila, a handful of tubs of Ben and Jerry's arrived at my door the next day!! Can you believe it? Where else would they go to such trouble to make your stay so special? My mother also felt sick the one day and they had the most beautiful bouquet of flowers sent over to wish her a speedy recovering. How thoughtful? You really do feel like you're the only person at St Regis, with such personal attention to every detail, and genuine concern for your happiness and making sure your stay is the most memorable. I couldn't have asked for anything more... but I got it. The last evening we were there, I was surprised with a birthday cake! I've never felt more spoilt in my entire life.

There wasn't anything more I could have ask for, absolute perfection on every possible level. Nothing else compares.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank julioribeiro
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear julioribeiro

Thank you so kindly for your wonderful and extensive review of your stay at The St. Regis last month! I am so pleased you had a chance to enjoy it and even more so that you had the time to write a review.
These reviews are shared every morning with our teams, line by line and it helps keep everyone cheerful and motivated for the rest of the week! I will pass on your comments to all our associates including Lisa, who is amongst a team of exceptionally bright stars, who shine bright for our guests.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you back to The St. Regis in the near future.

Best regards

Ronan
Resident Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The arrival was warm and welcoming, however commuting via car made it impossible to locate the hotel, as there were no road indications. Furthermore to our surprise, the hotel does not offer car-washing facilities (though this was confirmed it could be done by the valet), which is a standard for luxury properties in Mauritius. This sense of acknowledging guest requests and then not providing the promised service is a trend we valued from this property.
The Deluxe Room quality and design was average. The room was not pre-air-conditioned and very humid, allowing for a mouldy smell to overbear the room. We had requested an air freshener and yoga mats to the Butler, but were never delivered. Overall the Butler services brought no added value as they did deliver to our basic requests. Furthermore the floor was dirty to the extent that our feet were covered in black dust from the lack of cleanliness. Spacious bathroom, walk-in closet, separate bath and shower. However one set of bathroom amenities were provided though we were two guests. The bathtub took 15 minutes to drain whilst making an unbearable noise! The turnover amenities offered in the room were not of 5 star quality, the fruits were dehydrated and bruised. The most important area of concern is that an employee entered our room at 23h30 as we were sleeping, without knocking!!! For reference, upon departure no one was aware of this incident and we had to report it to management in an email after leaving the property.
The Iridium Spa was the main reason we decided to experience the hotel, however the Jacuzzi and steam bath were out order, which was not informed upon arrival or at the time of booking (which was made a day prior)! We scheduled a Detox Double Massage Treatment which overall was enjoyable but not an unforgettable experience. The infrastructure of the spa is truly exquisite and has the potential of being the best spa in Mauritius! However they have a long way ahead to living up to that potential. We waited on a privatized balcony for over 45 minutes as they were late for the scheduled treatment. The two masseuses or receptionists (no way of knowing as they did not introduce themselves by name) present a so-called “guest health survey”, the poor design of questions did not allow communicating any particular health issues. This survey took more time to complete than time the masseuse actually cared to analyse it further was our feeling. In terms of the facilities of the private double treatment room, they do not offer women size bathrobes, slippers nor undergarments (only offer small boxers). After finalizing the treat we were offered a hot beverage, poor quality local tea, where the water was lukewarm and the tea was flavourless.

Simply India: Being big admirers of Indian cuisine, we could not wait to try chef Atul Kochhar’s food. However we were not able to fully appreciate the meals as all of the dishes were served lukewarm. Furthermore we did not value that there was a thorough development of flavours, spices and plating design. We are accustomed to Le Saffran at Le Touessrok, which Simply India did not live up to.
1904 Bar: we decided to have a drink at the bar on the terrace after the dinner at Simply India. The Martini Vodka was nicely presented, however the barman had put 4 olives in the drink making it taste like olive juice, very disappointing from a 5 star property.
Breakfast at Le Manoir Dining Room: the breakfast room in itself was very dark and the selections of dishes from the buffet were not replenished regularly and were left with virtually no options for a guest arriving at 9h45-10h00. Furthermore the fire alarm went off 5 times due to the toaster that was not switched off, what a way to start your day. One of the acquaintances of that morning was of their unusual star attraction "Kevin the fish" that acts as an unusual added value for guests dining alone which is interesting… On a positive note they have a dedicated barista who specializes in making coffee at the Resort, a real unique selling point. By far the best coffee we have experienced in Mauritius!
Lunch at The Boathouse Bar & Grill: The boathouse bar & grill is in an exceptional setting, with a beautiful view on the ocean. They offered a special grill buffet as well as an a la carte menu for lunch. We were hesitating to take the buffet or not, which looked very appetising! However we saw that the fresh langouste, which had been stored on fresh ice, was now lying in a pool of water that could easily be subject to foodborne illness. Therefore we decided to go for a simple Caesar salad and a hamburger, but even that was by far disappointing. The timeliness of the service was simply catastrophic, the order taking 40 minutes to arrive at the table. There was no communication on the status of the dishes, we had to get up and ask the waiter what was taking so long. Especially when the meals were served, the waiter forgot to prepare condiments for the burger to which we had to wait an extra 10 minutes as the ketchup at The Boathouse was expired and had to go to another restaurant. The “good” ketchup delivered had an expiration date of the day after, which we highlighted to the waiter to avoid a problem arising the day after. The Caesar salad was pleasant however the burger was drenching in it’s own juice, which lacked flavour and structure, as it has stayed too long on the pass before service. However we met with the head chef who was very welcoming of our comments and confirmed that they were completely justified. His humbleness and kindness was the main highlight of our experience at The Boathouse.
Departure: what astonished us the most is that at departure no acknowledgment was made to the troubles we had encountered during our stay. Even our one night stay sufficed in experiencing all of these problems, which were left unresolved and quite frankly unaware of until we put forth our comments to management.
Overall: it’s difficult at this moment in time to recommend the St Regis as we value from our stay that our basic expectations of a 5 star resort property in Mauritius were far from being met. Though the product has potential to strive in the luxury market on the island, the quality of service, service recovery and efforts to make our experience more enjoyable were non-existent. We have to agree with the previous comment that the St Regis is far behind quality offering by Four Seasons & Touessrok. However we only hope that the service will improve in the coming months and deliver to the St Regis brand standards and promise of a luxury resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank 33JoyceB
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear 33JoyceB

Thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review of your one night stay with us back in early March 2013.
I remember your correspondence with my Resident Manager, Ronan Fearon during your short stay. I understood from your feedback that you are a regular guest of hotels in the east coast and I am disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations on your one night stay with us.

I would hope you can take a chance to read many of the superb reviews we have received in the past six months and take the opportunity to try us once more – I can assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Fond regards

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is our third stay at the St. Regis Mauritius. We stayed for 3 weeks when the hotel first opened in November 2012 , so we expected some teething problems but the issues we encountered where much worse than anticipated.The St Regis staff listened to our issues and did everything they could including asking us for regular updates, to ensure that by the end of our stay we were looked after. By the time we left the hotel we were very happy with our stay. We returned again for another 2 week stay in March 2013 and the improvements where amazing! We were so pleased with our holiday this time, we returned in June 2013 for another 2 week holiday.

After our second and certainly our third stay, we can confidently say that the St Regis is now the best hotel in Mauritius. St Regis has the best location, the best beach. The big question was the service level. Our experience has been that they have now managed to make the level of service go beyond the level of the standard 5*.

Generally, the service has been 5* from our arrival till our departure. On our return trips, the hotel greeted us as old friends. They had prepared a Beachfront Junior Suite which is stunning. The view from the huge balcony including the beach and the stunning sea, only metres away, is breath taking. We could actually see the beach and the ocean from our bed!

Compared to my first stay, the management of the St Regis Mauritius has really turned things around. The staff are well trained and have the genuine desire to please the clients. They all seem to have the St Regis brand at heart. There are too many staff to mention individually who looked after us so well, but those who went above and beyond are mentioned below.

Kiteflyer club (The kids' club) - The most well planned and organized section of the resort. The team were so lovely to our daughter that we could safely and happily leave her in the kids club and not have a single worry. They catered to our daughter so efficiently with such a positive attitude. This team have been very well trained and the kids also had their own private swimming pool, which was so refreshing as it was clean and child friendly. For families with kids, this is one of the best areas in the resort. A massive thank you to Indranee Gopaul, who made our daughter’s holiday truly magical!

Butler service- the butler service was fantastic! Leckraj Shibchurn was exceptional at his job he has an unbelievable eye for detail and takes great pride in his work, with all the requests we had asked for he was able to help us in every way possible. He was very attentive and catered to our every need; he built up a brilliant re-pore not only with us, but with our daughter as well. However, not all the butlers were as efficient, and our suggestion is that Leckraj should train them.

We have enjoyed all our stays at the St Regis thoroughly, with a few glitches here and there, and getting less and less each time, overall a great hotel, and a wonderful hotel for families, very child friendly...Would definitely go back again and again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Dr_Thaker

Dear Dr_Thacker

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.
We are pleased that you have seen such improvements over the past nine months and extremely happy that you have become a friend of ours.

We look forward to your visit time and time again. The tennis court is waiting for you and we are all waiting for you to come back soon to spend another Grand Moment St. Regis!

Best regards to Charlotte and Valentina!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Morne
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!