“As good as it gets”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I recently spent 2 days and nights at this Hotel. I had been very curious as it was my 4 th trip to Mauritius and essentially, I had watched it being built. Previously I had stayed at other hotels along the Le Morne strip.

Well from the first moment I found the staff extremely welcoming, our room was ready well before check in time. The hotel itself is a masterpiece, with no expense having been spared. Having said it is tastefully done and blends nicely with the surrounding landscape. Views of Le Morne Brabant constantly remind one of the special heritage of the area. Being a kite surfer it's very handy to have such close access to the public beach and launch area. I would like to see the hotel make more use of this with perhaps a kitesurfing centre on its southern border.

The central bar was a definite highlight, it is a wonderful atmosphere with very high quality live music every evening till late. The service is excellent with Mr Avinash Harry and his colleagues providing wonderful cocktails and friendly advice on any variety of drink that you may like.

Another very nice feature was the heated pools, this is unusual for Mauritius, but makes swimming in their winter season very pleasant.

In summary if you are travelling a long way, you won't be disappointed with St Regis Le Morne

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kitehorse
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Kitehorse

What a pleasure it was to read your review of your stay with us this month.
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and its facilities and that the entertainment in the bar pleased you!
I will pass by this afternoon to pass on your good message about Avinash, he certainly is one of our proudest associates!

Kind regards

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,437)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our criteria for travel? New or newly renovated resort. Quiet solitude. Peaceful calm. Beautiful views. Clean, clear blue water. Luxury. Off-the-well-worn track.

My wife and I decided on the St. Regis Mauritius Resort and I booked a five night stay through SPG using our Starpoints. I'm a Gold Preferred Guest, which in the scheme of these sorts of programs is pretty low-tier as only a few nights a year gets you the status. I figured that since I booked using points that I'd be assigned a room set-back further from water. Why wouldn't the resort keep those prized rooms for the top-paying guests, right?

I was shocked when we were presented our room upon arrival... an upper-level beachfront junior suite right at lagoon's edge--room #334! I've posted pictures below and I figure they'll do more good in telling readers about this property than through my words.

I hoped that our experience at the St. Regis would be worth the trouble of the 12-hour direct flight from London. I felt properly rewarded. We had a wonderfully relaxing stay. No hassles. We had just the right amount of attention that we were seeking.

My wife claims her spa treatment at the Iridium was the best she's ever had. Taking advantage of the large patio to eat with our beautiful in the back-drop, we mostly ordered in-room dining which we felt was a good value and tasty. The grounds of the property, as noted by many of the other reviewers, were immaculate. I can't even begin to imagine the cost of up-keeping such a property. The service was great across the board, from beginning to end. All we saw were smiles and positive attitudes.

The weather in mid-July was wonderful with high's in the mid-to-upper 70's (F) and we had abundant sunshine. Perfect! But because this was the Mauritian winter, occupancy at the property was very low. I was happy to have it all to myself!

I've been a Starwood fan since my three-week stay in the then brand-new St. Regis Singapore some years ago. This trip solidified my take on this group and I can say that I'm a STARWOOD man for life! Lovely experience! Thank you!

(I would recommend water shoes as the sand, at least during this time of year, was a bit gritty.)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank theupdegraffs

Dear theupdegraffs

Thank you for your wonderful review today of your stay at The St. Regis.
It was a pleasure to read and I am so glad to have had the chance to impress you!
Indeed – the weather in the winter surprises most of our guests – especially in le Morne which can see a 2-3 degree difference warmer than the rest of the island. I am extremely pleased you had the chance to post some personal images.
I will pass on your kind comments to our teams who looked after you during your stay.

Don’t give up on your Gold Membership with SPG – a few more lengthy stays and you will easily become platinum and enjoy complimentary suite upgrades, free flights and many more benefits.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is my first ever review of any hotel good or bad. So for me to spend the time in offering an insight into this hotel, it's staff and culture is a commendation indeed, particularly as it comes couple of months post my stay there. The hotel offered me and my family a most relaxing break from my every day life. I have to say that after a mesmerising first day looking out at sea, the second was one of wondering how I would fill me days. But, the two weeks went by too quickly and I now wish that time could have stood still a little longer.
The staff were friendly and relaxed. The management team extremely approachable and eager to please. An example of this was when Ants were encountered in our apartment. This is only to be expected is it not, well one or too perhaps. Having identified this as an issue, we were very quietly moved to another apartment and one that suited us very well. Nothing seemed too much to ask for and in Lisa Kontominas (Director of Housekeeping) we found not only a attentive member of the hotel staff but a friend.
The food was excellent and of good variety with 5 restaurants catering for our individual preferences, to the point that one of our party even asked for a plate of spaghetti - not on the menu and this was also delivered with pleasure.
For the food I would like to thank Fabienne and Theodose - a truly excellent experience. Thank you.
The beach and grounds were clean and well attended.
My only criticism is that I was not truly able to exploit the water sports that were on offer. Also perhaps - the bicycles need to be updated to be more comfortable with handle bars that allowed the user an opportunity to sit upright. No need for a mountain bike, just a good road bike.
In summary - if you want to get away from it all, be pampered and enjoy a touch of nostalgia in a modern setting, is visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Get an apartment or room close to the main hotel and restaurants. The hotel is spread along the sid...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank enzioa

Dear Enzioa,

I am so pleased that you have taken a rare opportunity to write a review about your stay here.
Indeed we are enjoying increasing success in our first year of operation and much of this is down to our leaders of various teams including Lisa, Fabienne and Theo, but also to the enthusiasm and passion for hospitality that so many of our associates possess.
I take on board you comments about the bicycles and the watersports. We will continue to find innovative new experiences for our guest to enjoy.

Thank you again for your time and please feel free to contact me when arranging a future visit to Mauritius

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I feel very lucky to have stayed here as its truly special on so many levels - the Colonial albeit new decor, the stunning rooms, the pools by the villas, the peaceful immaculate beach, the friendly staff, the delicious food, nice but not imposing management.

I was also pleasantly surprised to learn the weather is much better on this part if the island.
I cannot fathom out why one reviewer was so negative. I would highly recommend and cannot wait to return for sheer relaxation in a stunning environment. Im struggling to find any fault at Saint Regis.

Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Urbanmuma
StRegisMauritius, Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Shirley S,

A sincere thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at The St. Regis.
We are pleased that you found peace and relaxation during your stay. We aim to ensure a private residential feel throughout the resort and we believe this truly sets us apart from our competitors.
The immaculate beach and better weather is just a bonus for guests to enjoy.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your return stay!

Regards

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Excellent Hotel and wonderful beach.
Highs : Excellent Service, Luxurious Suites on the beach, Pastry Chef (pâtissier), Sunsets, Views
Lows : Beach Staff need training - seemed to chat nonstop with each other. Didn’t feel it was good value for money vis-a-vis other resorts on the island. They need to offer packages. So felt it was a little over priced although have to admit it is pure luxury.
A little disappointed with the Island of Mauritius. Very little to do. You have to ask if the long haul flight is really worth it. Especially as we live very close to the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Splurge and book beachfront Junior Suite
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StarPANAMA
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear StarPANAMA

We are honored to have our first Senior Contributor writing a review of our Resort and I would like to thank you for your kind comments; specially on the quality of the pastries created by our Executive Pastry Chef Jerome.

Thank you also for your constructive comments regarding the Beach Service and you can count on me to have a meeting this morning with The St. Regis Beach Club Manager to re-emphasize the need to pamper our guests.

I am sorry you find our paradise island disappointing as our Head of Concierge Criss could have recommended you incredible places to discover.

With best regards
Bernard

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our family stayed 8 days, early May 2013, and we are shocked by the behaviour of the hotel.

To start with, we were not given the rooms we had expressly booked (our travel agency had spent hours looking for the right accommodation in Mauritius). We had to cramp our family of 5 in a small room for the first night! After meeting a few persons at the reception desk and at the butler desk, the hotel delegated to a junior staff the announcement that we could not have what we had reserved, which I found despicable. Let’s pass on the time wasted waiting for more information, with 3 young, tired children.
Then we were promised by the hotel manager reimbursement of the night and a free dinner that night. We had not asked for anything, and still did not want anything else than our reservation…

Then, when we left, of course the night and dinner had not been deducted from our bill, the staff was incapable of finding the right rates to apply. So we paid the full amount and left with the promise (and a hand written note) for reimbursement.

2 months later still nothing… We are just furious... Our travel agency decided to refund us on their own, and will deal with St Regis Mauritius; this is courageous and a great attitude.

For the rest:
- The menus of the restaurant did not change at all during our stay, and do not offer much choice. This led to some real eating fatigue after a couple of days.
- A favourite discussion with other guests was the low level of the food. The “signature” Indian restaurant of the resort is barely better than your average local Indian restaurant, just not comparable with e.g. a Rasoi (St Geran).
- The water ski centre is on minimum duty. If they tell you “water ski at 2pm”, they will start go get the boat at 2pm… and there is a 10-15 minutes ride to the spot before you can actually start to water ski. So, sessions do not last long... I went there every day, often twice, and only the last day they showed me some tricks and gave some advice.
- The butlers just can’t be trusted: they will just say “yes” to anything you ask, but nothing gets gone. Too bad for the hike on the Morne, which they had promised to organize…
- The kid club is great. The ladies in charge, led by a great lady, really do care and offer plenty of fun activities for children.

In conclusion: there are plenty of nice hotels in Mauritius (St Geran, Longbeach…). Feedback on the 3 others hotels in Le Morne is much better. Why waste your time at St Regis?

Room Tip: Choose another hotel...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Barono74

Dear Barono74

Despite the 1 out of 5 you rated us; I would like to thank you for your constructive comments.
As you will recall, I emailed you last week to express my total dismay in regards to the way you experienced the resort.

I sincerely hope that we can put this behind us and as mentioned in my email to you I have instructed my sales team to refund Donatello agency.

I was delighted by your comments on our kids club and will pass on your feedback to our team
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you have further queries.

Fond regards
Bernard

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently had the great fortune to spend several days at the St Regis, and from the moment I arrived the experience was faultless.

The Hotel is in a superb location, situated on a long sandy beach with La Morne an impressive backdrop.

I believe that nearly all rooms have sea-views. I stayed in a first floor Junior Beachfront Suite and the view was fabulous. I loved the way that the doors to the balcony folded right back completely opening up the room.

The service experienced was first class - From the buggy drivers, to beach attendants, to bar staff to the Butlers - Everyone was friendly and professional. The service levels were absolutely exceptional. It was also nice to see the General Manager, Bernard, and the Executive Chef, Olivier, frequently mingling with the guests.

The Hotel includes half board in it's room rate which is necessary as there is not much close by outside of the Hotel. Half board gives you a 3-course meal in a choice of restaurants, all of which are of the highest quality.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and just hope that I have the opportunity to return again soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are first class. Ground floor rooms have direct access to the beach.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Berniejane0
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Berniejane0

We are delighted with your comments and that you found our service ‘absolutely exceptional’.

My Management team and I take great pride in connecting with each of our guests to be able to provide a Bespoke service.

Our aim for you is to put all your senses and tastes in levitation and that ‘You enter as a guest and leave as a Storyteller’.

Looking forward to seeing you soon

With best regards

Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
1 mi away
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!