“Probably the finest hotel in mauritius... And one of the best in the world”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We are coming to the end of a two week holiday at the St Regis and have been blown away by the exceptional standard of this hotel. It was a toss up between the St Regis and the One and Only but I was drawn to the St Regis by the huge choice of restaurants that are included in the half board package unlike the One and Only and the fact that children are allowed to eat in the restaurant after 8pm!

The location of the St Regis is hard to beat... The backdrop of Le Morne is stunning and its hard to imagine a more perfect white beach and clear blue water in the lagoon with crashing waves in the distance... Picture perfect and the stuff dreams are made of.

The check in was faultless with cold towels and a welcome drink and then escorted to our room by buggy where a welcome bottle of wine was there as well as a plate of fruits and sweets for our son with his name inscribed on the plate. The room is 1st class and really benefits from everything being new.... The most comfortable bed ever imaginable.... Brilliant view of the beach and sea from the spacious balcony....huge bathroom with large bathtub and powerful shower but it was the little touches that made a difference like a little bathrobe and slippers for our son Jack which many other 5star hotels don't even think about.

We are big foodies and really appreciate great food....and again the St Regis has not disappointed us. The quality of the breakfast is exceptional with anything you could ever want imaginable ... And if its not the chef will make it for you. Even the choice of fruit juices with between 7-10 freshly squeezed juices is mind blowing.... And to top it all there is complimentary sparkling wine available should you want it. We have eaten in all of the five restaurants and the food quality and choice is as good as you would get anywhere in the world...and if you would like something that is not on the menu they will happily make it for you. The floating market restaurant has an amazing Monday buffet with as much sushi and sashimi as you want. We enjoyed the Indian restaurant as well although thought it was a little pricey compared to top establishments in London including the chefs own restaurant.

The kids club is exceptionally well managed with a full program of great and well thought out activities throughout the day.... Including things like intro water skiing... Glass bottom boat trips... Cooking lessons. All of the staff in the kids club are exceptional and we would have no hesitation leaving our son with them... Although our son is only 3 and kids need to be 4 to be left there unattended by parents.

The facilities of the hotel are too numerous to mention but highlights are... A huge gym with technogum equipment.... A massive HEATED swimming pool... Most other hotels pools are not heated and boy do you feel the difference.... Free watersports including waterskiing .... A games room if the weather is not great.... Floodlit tennis court.... It goes on and on!!!!

And finally the staff at the St Regis have been amazing.... Nothing is too much trouble..... I won't mention any one person as the overall consistency has been great from the butlers through to the concierge to the golf buggy drivers to the watersports team.....

After starting a new job this was our first holiday for over a year and I needed a totally relaxing experience that allowed us to get away from it all.... And the St Regis has delivered..... I really don't recognise some of the earlier trip advisor reviews.... This is a great new hotel that must be the very best in mauritius and is up there with any of the best in the world....we'll be back and have no hesitation in recommending to anyone.

Room Tip: It's all on personal taste... The balcony rooms have great views but the ground floor rooms have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Heesey3
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear JamesHeese

Thank you so much for your comments which have been shared in our morning meeting.

I was delighted to meet you around the pool to thank you on behalf of all my team.
We have been very touched by your kind words and we are pleased that the three of you have been able to rest.

It is so rewarding for the team to read such emotional comments and to see that we have succeeded in creating an area of peace for you and your family.

Hope to welcome you back very soon

With warm regards

Bernard and the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

After a long trip we arrived at the St. Regis. We felt welcome upon the fist arrival, the rental car and luggage was taken care of. We sat down at the main desk and we've got an welkom cocktail and a cold towel. Then the waiting begun. The room wasnt ready and we were tired and wanted to have some rest. The butler took us on a tour over the grounds of St. Regis. Showing us their restaurants, swimmingpool, beach and spa. Then the waiting contiunued. Maybe it feld longer than it was because we were tired from the trip.
Finaly we got our room at the manoir house. It was BIG and even had two massage tables in it. And it had a great balcony with a lounge set and screens for shade.
So far the look, what about our experience? We had 3 butlers, during our stay. They could be called at any time and were very helpfull. Sandrine unpacked (and later packed) our luggage and Hugo gave us spices we loved so much. They did more than we expected.
De other personal was very very friendly. It didnt mather who we would meet, they alsway know our name!
The breakfast buffet was great, they had different kinds of bread, sweet stuff like muffins, cake, pie, croissants etc. And Cereals, yogurts, eggs, quiches, pancakes, crepes, fresh fruit, cheeses, meat, fish. Everything you might want for breakfast, they've got it.
We loved to sit outsite, so we could feed the little birds.
We've had dinner on every restaurant. The food was good, but less spicy for the guests. I loved the Simply India restaurant. We had the honor to meet 2 michellin star chef Atul Kochhar, who cooked our dinner!
We've also attended the barbecue on the beach. Sadly it was to windy so it was moved inside the boathouse. I especially liked the desserts.
The wine prices at all the restaurants are quite expensive, we've had dinner in other restaurants on Mairitius for the price of a bottle of wine at the
St. Regis.
The pool service was also good. We loved the cabana's,and the covers provided shade/privacy.
In the manoir house was also a library filled with book in differtent languages: english, frensh, german, dutch and russian. I've read some of the books, great service.
We didnt visit the spa, they came to our room and we had a couples massage. Good experience, but we missed the music and the tea.

Overall a great stay at the St. Regis.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Beeliciouss
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Beeliciouss

Thank you so much for the kind comments on your review.

I am delighted that you truly enjoyed our suites in the Manor House, the two massage tables and your interaction with your three Butlers and I will pass on your comments to Hugo.

I am very pleased that you find that our Associates were always pleasant at any interaction and called you by your name.

I have spoken with Theo and Olivier to pass on your comments about our breakfast buffet and I was pleased that you had the opportunity to meet Chef Atul Kochhar during your stay.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon and to take the time to try our Iridium Spa.

With very best regards

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here last May 2013 for 11 Days. Let me start by saying that this hotel is not for honeymooners as there are more families with kids (lots of kids) that stay here than couples.

Prior to arrival I had few requests which was all done. We even had complimentary champagne and fresh fruits on our arrival in our suite. We were also given complimentary massage for two as our anniversary present which we truly appreciate. We’ve rented cars for two days and drove around the island of Mauritius and I think if you want privacy and less touristic area, Le Morne is the best place to stay for it’s awesome locations, view, sea, sand, sunset and abundant marine life.

The best thing in the hotel are their staff who are all ready to serve guests to ensure all our needs are meet and our stay to be really wonderful. Our Butlers did their best to provide and help us plan some of our activities. All of restaurant staff are very attentive. I’ll give extra credit to the beach staff who are always serving with a smile even though they have to walk back and forth from the beach front to the restaurants to get any orders (food and drinks). Overall thumbs up to St. Regis staff.

The room are spacious and nice decorated. However, just like other reviewers, I do agree that they need to have more lightings both in the room and in the balcony.

All the restaurants are good except for Atsuko where the food is just average. Our favorites is of course the Boathouse and the Simply India. Here’s a must “ Chef’s Table”. We have book it for our anniversary. It is concept where you dine in the kitchen where the chef (Sebastian) will prepare all the food right in front of you. There is no menu. You are the boss. They will create anything you want. It is quite expensive but it’s worth every penny as the food were the best one we had during our stay.

The hotel have lots of facilities, we did not try most of them as we are here to simply relax. We have done most of what hotel is offering on our other holidays so we gave it a pass. The swimming pool is not the best we’ve seen as it’s not infinity, no view and is only 1.2M all the way through. It’s good for plain swimming but not to lay around or relax as it is surrounded by the main building and restaurants.

Another highlight of our stay are the very accommodating Spa staff and top quality services. I was very happy that they cater for pregnant women hence I had two massages aside from the complimentary we got. Highly recommended.

The reasons I rated it 4* is due to the following: When we arrived we were not given refreshing towels nor welcome drink to think that we arrived around 8pm and looking tired from long travel. We were also not given tour of the hotel so we were a bit lost on our first day. It was very disappointing that they are only giving you the nice toiletries on your first day and the thereafter, they replenish it with cheap ones (a VERY cheap one compare to hotel standard). They did not do turn down service for two executive days and a very late clean up of the whole room the day after. The cleaning needs to improve as well. The mini bar was never replenish during our whole stay. Though all of it has been done by our butlers after telling them and maybe these are small issues but when you sum it up, these are not what you expecting when you stay and pay on a hotel like St. Regis.

Overall, the great weather, location, nice hotel and hospitable staff made our holiday great and memorable!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cheeky_Monkey1984

Dear Cheeky_P

I am delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and all the complimentary amenities provided to celebrate your anniversary.
We are all over the moon with your ‘Over thumbs up to St. Regis Staff'.
I am reviewing your comments regarding the lighting in the room and we will look into it.
I pass on your comments to Olivier our Executive Chef regarding the food and we will review your constructive feedback on Atsuko.
I am also pleased that you both enjoyed the Inspiration Table where you select what you wish to have for dinner.
Arun our Director of Spa was thrilled with your comments on our Iridium Spa and the way we cater for pregnant women.

I take this opportunity to apologize regarding the bathroom amenities as during your stay we did experience a shortage of Remède line.

Thank you so much again for your comments and we are all looking forward to welcome you again in your home in Le Morne

With very best regards

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have been lucky enough to travel to many amazing places and have experienced some of the greatest hotels around the world. The St Regis Mauritius definitely belongs on that list. The setting is stunning, on a beautiful beach, with the calm lagoon for great snorkeling, plenty of greenery throughout the resort and the dramatic backdrop of Le Morne, fronted by the kite surfers and the huge waves crashing onto the reef in the distance.

The service was great and the kids' club was amazing. I would have liked to have seen more of my daughter during our "family holiday" but she insisted on going to the Kite Flyers Club as much as possible which is not really surprising with the activities they did - intro to water ski-ing, glass bottomed boat trip, baking cupcakes and pancakes, sand sculpting, beach games, kite flying and more... The ladies who worked there were amazing as well - plenty of patience and fun with the kids but I also saw them making my daughter sit down and finish her vegetables when she had dinner there one evening!

We didn't really leave the resort as we were also traveling with a baby who unfortunately hates car journeys. But really, there's no need to go anywhere else anyway! We were there for six nights and there are five restaurants, so plenty of options. With two kids, we ate most of the meals in the Boat House as it's a little more casual, but the Floating Market and Simply Indian were really good too.

Breakfast in the Manoir was excellent, a great buffet and delicious hot dishes - eggs, rosti potatoes, french toast etc, plus constant attention from the service staff bringing tea, coffee, water, juice etc.

We stayed in a beach front suite which was beautiful with a lovely outdoor patio area and just steps from the beach as well as a smaller pool which was ideal for the kids and had a bar as well so no need to pack up and leave the room for the day to go to the main pool or beach - although there are convenient buggies which can be called at a moment's notice when you have your hands full of baby, books, camera, sun lotion etc.

The champagne sabering was a fun, unique experience and brought a lot of the guests together for an evening and the library and games room looked like perfect places to hang out drinking cocktails (or tea!) during a storm or just for a quiet evening (we were too busy enjoying the outdoors).

Oh and the spa is incredible - both to look at and to experience. I had a lovely massage which although a little pricey, made my week!

Honestly there is not much to improve at this resort for me - we look forward to going back again when the baby's a bit older so we can explore Mauritius a little as well - can't wait!!

2  Thank lookeelookee
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear lookeelookee

Thank you for your feedback.
We were delighted by your generous comments, specially as regards to the service provided throughout our Resort.

We hope to welcome the four of you back very soon in your home in Le Morne

With warm regards

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I had a lovely week on this resort with my family. It was a holiday for family time and thats what we got. Open the patio doors and sea touches your feet - while blue sky is smiling at you!
It was a fab-fab holiday. Service was amazing and so was the food and ambience. Rooms are very comfortable and cuisine is exquisite. Butler service is second to none on the island. Breakfast was the best in the country. Quality oozes out in each and everything.
We loved it and are going back soon!

Room Tip: Choose ground floor rooms for access to the beach.
1  Thank FoodMantra
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear BritishIndianChef

I would like to thank you very much for your kind review "Excellent place to chill out".
We see ourselves as a place to chill out in style and we are over the moon that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We are looking forward to welcome the four of you again at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort

With best regards

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Where to start with so many positives!
So many positive reviews have already been written about the beautiful location, restaurants, pool, beach I don’t want to repeat it all over again so I WILL MENTION THE OUTSTANDING FOR US! We visited in May so the resort was not full at all which we felt was to our great advantage!
Staff sense of humour and attention to detail.
I think one of the first joys after our welcome , -we were offered breakfast and had no wait getting to our suites even at 7.30am - was having all my unpacking done for me immaculately, what a joy!
While chatting with Head Butler Kevin, I explained that my daughter was joining us for a week with her cousin during our longer vacation and that they had joked she was looking forward to having “Geoffrey” the butler –from a popular comedy on TV –Kevin later returned having had a label printed with the name! Upon welcoming them he introduced himself “Welcome to St Regis I am your private Butler and my name is Geoffrey!!!” Hysterically funny! Attention to detail!
Bernard the General Manager on three occasions joined us for a chat ordering Champagne or wine and one evening had cocktails delivered to our room! Personal notes were delivered with invitations to the Sabering Ceremony which was enormous fun and a great party ceremony that we have brought home. Another day when there were one or two clouds, a vase of lilies arrived with a note saying sorry for the clouds! On leaving, having mentioned that I could have listened all night to the music in one of the bars by Tictronic a guitarist playing blues and classical, Fabien One of the many Managers gave us a signed CD by the guitarist! Attention to detail!
An anniversary was celebrated on the last night with the most exquisite dessert celebrating the day! Another evening for some unknown reason we were invited to choose anything we liked to be specially prepared by Sebastian Head Chef in La Manoir ... in front of us and dine IN THE KITCHEN!!..What an experience as many of his other chefs watched him create his dishes just for us, and Theo Restaurant Manger arranged for serenading!! Lisa Head of Housekeeping delivered a hand written card to my with a gift of Aqua di Parma full sized toiletries as they are made from Sicilian Oranges and he is from Sicily!! Attention to detail!!
But it goes beyond attention to detail when my daughter broke her toe sailing, she was given crutches and painkilling cream and every time she moved a buggy arrived to carry her!!
On the beach and by the pool, little cooling complimentary fruit sticks, frozen juice, iced water and towels, throughout the day, even a backgammon partner volunteered from the staff!!! The DOUBLE rooms in the spa enable you to steam privately before your treatments –Indian Head and back Massage to die for – then relax afterwards as per Far East custom or luxuriously bath at your leisure!
We were in Junior Beachfront Suite 202 the original suite prepared for photo shoot of hotel, it is the first of the suites near to the social areas but set further back than most of the others, we did not feel our privacy was invaded at all, but this is not a private villa those delights are yet to be finished!! Our party occupied both ground and first floor but all preferred the easy access to the grass in front (where we had sun beds ready for us every day) and the beach.
We enjoyed all the restaurants, trying over 16 days nearly every choice and did not find the menus limited as some reviews have suggested. Every one was different both in atmosphere and we thought the food excellent.
Ha-ha...the games room! What fun we had on a cloudy afternoon with staff only too happy to make up the numbers at billiards, air hockey and table tennis!
You see my point? It was not the usual 5* that make this hotel. I expect 5* service if I choose and and pay for it. I do not expect the above personal attention and have never received it any hotel to this extent before, however I cannot emphasize enough the difference it made to our holiday (party of six). And we appreciated every act of kindness and attention.
I have read other reviews of people there at the same time as us and I find it hard to believe they were at the same hotel! We did not have slow or incorrect service. We were on holiday we were in no hurry. Any problems a member of our party had were discussed immediately with Management and dealt with in due course and the one problem in one of the rooms, which could not be dealt with was compensated with by change of room and upgraded for the inconvenience.
I think perhaps the only niggle I had was one caused by guests who did not observe dress code in the restaurants. Men are requested not to wear beach wear at dinner and some men did...I felt that they should have been requested to eat in the The Boathouse Restaurant or dress appropriately, if only out of respect to all the ladies who certainly dressed for dinner!! I know Management are addressing this problem. As for children, they were all beautifully behaved with parents that appreciated that a screaming child calms down quickly with a change of scenery for a few minutes! Talking of children they all seemed to disappear to the Kiteflying Club in the day and I’m not surprised it was just perfect for the little people.
There are too many names for me to even start to remember and thank personally, but what I can say is that every member of staff seemed to be excited happy and enthusiastic for us to have the best holiday and I don’t think you can ask more. The little niggles will be sorted and the theory of perfection put into practice. But if the level of care, service, kindness and generosity shown to us is shown to every guest, the repeat guest list will limit if not exclude new guests, so I suggest you visit before that happens!
The temperature in May for Brits is perfect, gentle cooling breeze, keeping temperatures just perfect and evening a delight!! There did not seem to be any nationality as a majority which we also liked. We loved St Regis and if not tempted to go to Bora Bora will return!

Room Tip: If you're not happy wqith your suite for whatever reason, speak to Management they will make sur...
2  Thank oonagh1

Dear oonagh1

I read this morning in our morning meeting your review "Service beyond the Norm even for 5*" and on behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for your generous and kind comments.
I was thrilled that we have been able to provide you with an area of peace where your senses were in levitation and that you felt a seamless service delivered with human touch and extreme attention to details.

Chef Sebastien was very pleased on your comments on the selection of the food, Lionel will always cherish the billard and air hockey, Lisa who is half Sicilian smiled at your comments and Theo and Kevin are eager to serve you again.
I have taken good note on your comments about the dresscode and we are looking at ways to improve on this.

I take this opportunity to wish you all a lovely summer in europe and to express our wishes to welcome you again in your home at Le Morne

Fond regards from your friends at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort for another Grand Moment

Lisa, Sebastien, Arun, Theo, Kevin, Ronan and Bernard

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed two nights at this wonderful hotel and i have to say that from start to finish it was just what we expected. it was perfect !
To start with, the welcoming by the staff was very good. Very friendly and useful. There were various members of the staff who attended to us by taking turns, each for a specific purpose. This exercise was done so smothly and effortlessly that it was indeed a pleasure to check in.
The hotel itself is so elegant and classy. no bling bling....just elegance and class , but at the same time had an atmosphere which made you feel at home and relaxed straight away. The room which was a junior suite facing the sea was of very good size furnished with a superbly comfortable bed. The furnitures were beautiful and useful. The amenities of the room such as coffee machine, mini bar, tv etc.....were of very very good quality. Bathroom was very big and perfectly fitted.
For us, a hotel could look good and have all the best amenities, but the most important thing was the restaurants and the food. At the St Regis , the food was ............fantastic. Each meal we had there was a fantastic experience ! a real good memorable experience. We tried the "floating Market" , the manoir, Simply India, and the beach restaurant. we have to say that all the mentioned restaurants lived up to expectation and every single dish was delicious. As a very demanding couple when it comes to food, we were so pleasantly surprised with all the personalised touches brought to dishes that we thought we knew.
We would like to say well done to the Chefs and kitchen staff for the quality of food and service. A special thank you to Mr Theo Fleurie and Fabienne for their kindness and care. They made us feel welcomed and special. Thank you to the Hotel Manager, Mr Bernard, for your presence all the time and everywhere and to make us feel at ease in your wonderful hotel.
We would tell to the people, go to St Regis, it is probably the best hotel in Mauritius with the best staff.

Room Tip: All great rooms, but go and enjoy the whole of the hotel with its brilliant library, recreation room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!