“Nice- but not good enough at the price.”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
london
“Nice- but not good enough at the price.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting this resort in February and have only just got round to constructing a review.

On arrival the layout is impressive, colonial style detached properties on a lovely clean beach.

On my visit the resort was about 45% occupied and the staff were extremely nice, in addition there are four resturants to choose from.

There are however several detractions:

The villas are detached with a ground and first floor, in my case, I was on the first floor, on the second day a family arrived with 2 very young children and I had to endure endless screaming from underneath on my balcony for 4 days until they thankfully moved out- and that, I regret to say is the problem here. If Indeed I wish to endure such persecution I can stay in any club med resort at 80% less and be assured of it.

Quite why the management chose to place a family like that underneath my demise when the resort was half empty defies belief.

The restaurants consist of the boat house which serves italian style food, the french and Indian restaurants and the floating market.

The floating market looks lovely, regretfully I sent the meal back 3 times because it was uncooked, and, in the end gave up, with the waiter collecting my plate, largely uneaten, asking if I had 'enjoyed' the meal.- clearly not. Each restaurants offering seeemed not to removed from the other and so one culinary experience simply mingles into another with nothing really noteworthy. I can say not one meal tehre stuck in my mind as being trully exceptional.

The room could have been a lot cleaner- given that this resort is almost new and that was extremely dissapointing.

I booked the resort as a special offer, included half board and a very large reduction on the overall price. Even so the additional costs warrant incredulity- £70 for the internet for one week, wine at over $130 per bottle for one of the cheapest, that can be purchased in a supermarket for £9.50 at home. At the end of the weeks holiday addional costs for 2 were about £750 despite only having a glass of wine with a meal and no other extras- that level of pricing calls for serous concern.
I did meet with Bernard the manager and had a general chat about my experiences and he did indeed seem to be understanding; it was therefore dissapoiting that for the rest of the holiday I was completely ignored - despite him directly past me on several occasions.

In summary- its nice but no where near nice enough for the ENOURMOUS price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank marranello
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear marranello

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write us a comment following your stay in February.
I am sure you have reviewed the latest Trip Advisor comments where our guests talk about "great time, divinely experience, hospitality at its best and perfection in a holiday".

You can see that since your visit we made a lot of progress to improve the level of service, the quality of our cuisine and our housekeeping.
I am glad to also advise you that we have reviewed our wine list and we have added some good value wine starting as from $70 onwards.

Our Resort is now in its 7th month of operation and I would love to welcome you both back again to show you the progress we have made.

Once again thank you so much for your comments and wishing you a very nice weekend

Bernard and the team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Arrival at the hotel set the high standard for the rest of the holiday. The staff were very welcoming and greeted us with ‘Mr & Mrs Barber I assume?’, showing that they were on the ball and expecting us. Rather than doing any paperwork, we were shown into breakfast. The Manoir is beautiful and on the first morning the waves were from the south so we watched in awe as 4m swells crashed on the reef beyond the lagoon while drinking freshly squeezed orange juice. One of the management team came out to greet us as well and ask that should we have any problems we could come directly to him.

After breakfast we were shown to our room, which was tastefully decorated had a free standing bath, doors that folded all the way open so you could be in the bedroom but feel like you’re outside. Tip, all rooms have sea views, but not all have sunset views, so if you can specify I would.

The service throughout was fantastic and we thought that Simply India and the Floating Market food was exceptional. The wine by the glass was very good, not unreasonable considering its quality – certainly no more expensive than the other hotels of a similar standard in the area. We ate at the Chef’s table on our last night and Sebastien cooked us an outstanding meal that really finished off the holiday perfectly.

As we were going to be doing a fair bit of kitesurfing, we considered using the butler service via kiteriders/ club mistral and on reflection I probably should have done, but it would have meant kiting in a different area (the point) to where my wife was having lessons (the lagoon), so we organised it outside of the hotel and hired a pickup truck from Ropsen (€30/day) from the airport and made our own way (slightly oddly with Ropsen’s driver who was there to deliver and collect the car from the airport)

Other facilities used:
The gym: very good quantity and quality of equipment
Watersports: SUPs (good quality, easy to balance), kyak, pedalo & waterskiing brand new top of the range waterskis with good free instruction. We didn’t use the Club mistral but did talk to them and regret not using their services.

Spa: Huge and luxurious, good range of paid for treatments and complementary use of the spa facilities (steam, sauna and Jacuzzi) subject to availability irrespective of whether you are using the rest

Special thanks must go to the sommelier’s Thierry & Yogesh, the head of catering Fabienne and our butlers Rakesh and Jerzy.

The hotel is new, so there are still occasional hiccups, but they were quickly and considerately fixed and I have no hesitation in recommending it as an alternative to the Dinarobin or Paradis. This was my 6th visit to the Le Morne peninsula, having previously stayed at the Paradis 3 times and the Dinarobin twice – also with a short sojourn staying in an apartment via Ropsen.net, so know the area well and the hotels.

The closer proximity to the kitesurf/surf/windsurf spot and vastly superior watersports equipment make it a hands down winner for anyone wanting a luxury activity holiday. My wife departed the hotel with tears in her eyes and we both said that we felt we’d been on a second honeymoon – on reflection we had.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rbarbs
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Take a look up the night sky over Le Morne and you'll see how many stars the St Regis Mauritius deserves: Millions!!

It was an absolute amazing experience. Staff is extremely friendly, competent and caretaking - no wish remained unfulfilled. I wonder, whether you will find better service anywhere else in Mauritius. F&B is definitely another highlight. They merge local delicacies with young, international/French finesse – a true adventure for your palate. The suites are amazing, specious, every detail carefully designed and perfectly maintained. The location is a rocker – sandy beaches, abundant vegetation and – inside the riff – a gentle sea. For those who wish to explore the island, there is a broad variety of things to do (sports, culture, outdoor).

We have seen many hotels in Mauritius and decided to spend 10 days at this newly opened resort and didn’t regret the decision a second. This is the place to recharge batteries, experience outstanding hospitality and just enjoy life!

Room Tip: Junior Suites with direct access to the beach are sunny and highly recommendable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Paul P
Dear Paul P

I would like to thank you on behalf of all my team and for your generous comments.

Our aim is to try to elevate all the senses and taste of all our guests and I am pleased that we have been able to provide you with an area of peace with a seamless service delivered from the heart.

We are looking forward to see you soon back in your home at Le Morne

Warmest regards

Bernard
London
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was very hesitant to write the review and after considering it, I decided to go ahead.

We stayed at St Regis in a deluxe room from the 20th - 27th March. Transfer from the airport to the hotel was around an hour and the drive was very scenic. We arrived at the hotel and it was abosultely stunning even though we arrived in the evening. We were checked in and was soon showed to our beautiful room. Our butler explained everything and arranged for dinner at the Boat House after an hour. The room was absolutely amazing. Dinner at the Boathuse was amazing, but service was slow even though it wasnt busy.

The next morning we ventured out to breakfast which was lovely, and then we headed out to the beach. The hotel setting is stunning and there is nothing I could fault as it truely looks like paradise.

We dined at the french restaurant as well as the floating market which was very impressive.

Then...one night we went out for dinner, came back at 10pm to our room to find cleaners tidying our room and making up our bed which had been done 4pm in the afternoon. Apparently they clean the rooms twice a day, which we were not informed. I left my mobile phone underneath my pillow (thinking that no one would enter the evening), we waited outside for the cleaners to finish, when they left we re enterd the room. I remembered where I left my mobile and expected to find it placed on the side of the bed. Nothing! We checked underneath the bed and everywhere. Then suddenly I look over my shoulder and saw that the charger which was plugged in the USB plug and that was gone too. Then I was convinced it was taken.

We called the security who dealt with this carefully and took statements, they also took us to the police department for statements which I thank them for delaing with this matter.
They investigated the matter and questioned all staff involved, also took readings and the last people entering our room were the cleaners we saw.

The hotel manager and staff gave a complimentary spa treatments to take our mind off things which we appreciated and were very thankful. They also arranged for Afternoon Tea at a hotel in London which was really nice.

After the incident, it really left a bad taste in our mouth and I became a bit scared knowing all staff had access to my room and personal belongings. We had saved five years for the holiday and it took one incident to spoil this holiday.

Even though everything else had been exceptional, we left saying we had a great time, but also a not so great time.

On that note, I would not stay at the St Regis again with that risk and would try a different resort.

All the best to the hotel and I hope this does not happen to another guest .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ZeeBear
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear ZeeBear

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I am extremely delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and ambiance; and more specifically the epicurean delicacies at the resort. I share all the comments with the staff as they work exceptionally hard to make every guest at the property feel special.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort.
I certainly take all comments seriously and I have investigated this matter to the fullest. I would appreciate if you could send me your contact details so I can address this matter with you directly.

Once again, thank you for your observations, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Bernard and team
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I am both a hotelier and a busy professional running several businesses so finding a resort that would truly enable me to disconnect from work and connect with my family was always going to be a challenge, not only do I understand what attention to detail and service means but expecting it every level is near impossible, that is until I discovered the St Regis Mauritius. Impeccable service ethics, attention to detail and an alert and aware staff all under the watchful eye of an exceptional General Manger who truly understands the ethos and deliverables of a great resort.

I left rejuvenated, connected with loved ones and sense of sadness upon departure. Particularly good were the F&B Manger and Fabian who diligently ensured all my families requirements were met. For all those professionals who lead a busy and hectic life and want to be able to escape, then St Regis Mauritius is heaven on earth, not just aesthetically but where service outshines leaving a tapestry of memories etched in your heart. Well done Bernard and Team!

Sagheer Mohammed & Family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mohammed S
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Mohammed S

Thank you so much for your kind comments.
We are all delighted that we were able to provide you an area of peace where you could disconnect from work and reconnect with your loved ones.

At The St. Regis, we are trying to connect our heart to everything we do and our greatest aim is to ensure happiness to all our guests and elevate all their senses during their stay with us.

We are all looking forward to see the four of you again and wishing you a great week

Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am doing a honey moon trip around the world and our experience at the St Regis was probably one of the best.
We spent a great week at the hotel. The place is like heaven, the food is delicious and the services excellent.

We stay at the hotel the whole week and barely went outside the resort. We had a chance to try all the restaurants, they were all very good especially Atsuko and Manoir in which we went back twice. The service in the restaurants and at the beach were really at the standard of the top hotels we have been travelling to over the past month. The staff is polite and dedicate to attention to detail.

The SPA was very nice too and the design of the rooms very cosi. We will come back for sure

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travekers2304
Dear Travekers2304

Thank you so much to both of you for your lovely comments.
We are over the moon that you find the place like heaven and the food delicious.

Our aim is simple; we are trying to put the senses of our discerning guests in a pure state of levitation and fill their heart with positive memories by trying to do things differently.

I have passed your comments to our Food & Beverages department; Olivier, Iwata, Sebastien, Theo, Fabienne and they all send you their regards.

We cannot wait for you to be back

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My Wife and I stayed in Late April as part of a large Corporate Booking. Firstly, the location is stunning being positioned on a large quiet azure lagoon with Le Morne mountain as a stunning backdrop.

The quality of the hotel was exceptional. Clearly a great deal of attention and expense has been put into every aspect of this luxurious experience. I would sum up the look and feel as a 'colonial' but with contemporary fixtures and fittings of the very highest quality. We understand that the hotel has recently been refurbished and it really showed. Everything looked and felt like new.

The bedrooms in particular were large, extremely comfortable and well designed. We weren't in one of the best rooms (we were right at the back perimeter of the property and our view of the beach was obscured). Walking around the hotel, the beach front suites looked amazing.

We found the service to be excellent. The staff were polite, friendly and attentive without being intrusive or over familar. We made extensive use of the 'Butler' service, but that was mainly to bring lots of tea and milk supplies to our room (we are English!) which wasn't present by default or resplenished as a matter of course.

Our Corporate Booking meant that the cost of our stay was mostly taken care of. However, seeing the rate card and costs for lunch and drinks made us take a few deep breaths. The costs are similar to those of a high quality London Hotel/Restaurant. Whilst that's fine for an occassional treat, paying that all day every day would rack up a large bill very quickly.

In Summary: If price isn't an issue, I don't think you'll find anything finer than this in Mauritius. Make no mistake, this hotel is all about top-notch luxury and service for those who can afford it..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank macd2510
Dear macd2510

Thank you so much for your comments.
We have read yout Trip Advisor in our morning Operations meeting and all the team was delighted that we have somehow been able to put all your senses in levitation.

I was happy that you fond all our Associates polite and friendly delivering a seamless service; I have read also your comments on the costs of our drinks and I am glad to advise you that we are currently adding more selection of wine by the glass.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort and please do not hesitate to contact me for your future booking

Best regards

Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!