“Certainly one of the best hotel of Mauritius”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Lamotte-Beuvron, France
“Certainly one of the best hotel of Mauritius”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went 2 times at St Regis this month: nothing to say excepted that it was wonderful !!! we tested 3 restaurants (Indian, asiatic, beach) and all were perfect which a special note for the Indian one where the cooker has a 2 stars in his restaurant based in London; We had two room: the marvelous St Regis suite on the beach (only 7 meters to swim) and then a junior suite also on the beach. Even the junior was smaller it was perfect, we organized an aperitif with friends through the help of our buttler, and all appreciated.
All team members are great and really dedicated to your needs (even sometime we are pushed to ask for creasy thing as they are so able to achive the challenge)...
I will come back as soon as I can !!!
Note for SPG member: try to ask for an upgrade to the 630 suite ...(a dream!!!)

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite not so far away from the lobby or go at the opposite (600) as the beach is be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vincent2208

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Although we had a pleasant stay at the hotel, we have had problems with accounts department at the hotel after checking out. We paid for our accommodation in full prior to departure and on arrival at hotel they confirmed receipt of funds. On check out we found a few extra nights accommodation were mysteriously added to our account and when queried this was rectified and we paid for the food and beverages that we consumed during our stay. We only noted after payment that a few room service charges were added to our account that we knew nothing about.
A few weeks after our departure we were notified by our credit card company that the hotel had also charged the entire costs of the accommodation to our credit card. We have sent numerous emails to hotel to have this rectified to no avail - we have also made international telephone calls to the hotel to request them to pass a credit but there has been no response - only empty promises - no apologies at all from the hotel despite sending them all the proof that they have charged us twice - we have stayed in a number of international brand hotels and this is the first time that we have experienced this level of incompetence from any hotel group - we cannot honestly recommend that you stay at this hotel

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank kim g
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Kim G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our property. However, I can only profusely apologize for the breakdown in communication within the accounting department that has led to the inconvenience you are experiencing.

Our Director of Butler Services has called you this morning, to present her most sincere apologies on behalf of the Resort. As discussed with her the payment will be processed today and she will send you the copy of the transfer confirmation per email.

Again, allow me to say how sorry I am for the situation described and for how it affects your rating of our property despite the fact that you enjoyed it with us. Rest assured that I have taken the necessary steps with my accounts department to ensure this does not happen again.

I do sincerely hope that you will give is an opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to Mauritius and look forward to personally welcoming you.

Fond Regards,
Bernard - General Manager
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Overall a lovely resort in a lovely location about 1hr from the main Airport on the south western tip of the island.

Very peaceful, quiet and relaxing. The deluxe room we had was very spacious, well decorated and beautifully appointed. Black out curtains the best I have ever experienced and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom, which was huge and even had a big wooden desk in along with twin sinks, a huge bath and a walk in wardrobe was lovely.

The shower was a bit hit an miss on cold or hot water, but given it was so warm outside, sometimes expecting a warm shower but getting a cold one was not too uncomfortable. Mini bar and room service seemed quite expensive so we elected not to utilise the service (A coffee delivered to the room was reasonable at about £4, but the £8 delivery charge seemed steep) but I guess you don't stay at a St. Regis for value, you stay for the quality.

We never had a particular need for the butler service so can't comment on it. The service staff are extremely friendly and stop to say hello all the time including the porters, gardeners, waiting staff and room servicing teams. Higher levels of management not so much. One evening, when walking from our room to the main building, a member of staff on an errand in a golf buggy, pulled off the path we were walking on, switched of his lights that were directed straight at us until we past and then carried on. This was typical example of making you feel important and special. On another occasion, when we had forgotten something in our room, my wife started walking back to the room very quickly, only for a buggy to appear and offer her a lift.

Everything seems to centre around the main pool and getting a sunbed was not problem as it always seemed quiet. Getting a drink around the pool was also very easy as there was always a waiter available inside a minute of so. Bottled water around the pool was free and in the afternoon the waiters came around with cold refreshing towels. the bars around the pool are great for a quiet drink and plenty of choice although quiet expensive. The waterspouts centre offers a variety of watersport, mostly free and even the ones you paid for like scuba diving were reasonable value (about £45 for each dive with equipment provided). The SPA was also very good and my wife and I enjoyed a lovely couples massage which was very relaxing and of a slightly higher standard than you would expect in most first class SPA hotels.

The breakfast was quite superb and enough choice to eat a different breakfast every day for a week and still not sample everything.

The small shop on site caters for anything you may have forgotten but be prepared to pay a huge premium for your stupidity. £25 for a small tube of sun screen and £25 for a St Regis branded baseball cap.

Food outside of the normal mealtimes often proved to be painful. A standard chicken bacon and tomato club sandwich costing around £17 took over an hour to arrive on 3 occasions. Provided you know it is going to be slow, you can order it and go done something else like water ski and when you get back it will probably be ready. We never ate there in the evening due to other commitments but feedback I got was it was very good, but expensive, so it would appear that providing you don't want to eat outside normal mealtimes, and you have a health budget, you are probably Going to enjoy the food? I would put this at a hotel that in some areas could warrant 6 stars and in others closer to 4 star. If your idea of a holiday is a wonderful and relaxing environment and are prepared for a £100 to £200 per day per person burn rate on incidental expenses (over and above your transportation and accommodation costs), I am sure you will enjoy this location. Having stopped at other St Regis resorts, I am sure this resort will mature into a quality St Regis destination in time, but I don't think it is quite there yet.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marcomint
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the St Regis in Le Morne for a week in April and I just cannot express how amazing we found the entire stay. I will attempt to convey how impressed we were with every aspect by breaking it down, but my over riding message would be...go there, now. You will not regret it.

The Rooms: Wow. We stayed in a Beachfront St Regis Suite on the ground floor which was utterly beautiful. The bathroom in particular was amazing. I found it a little strange that this highly priced room category had the smallest outside space of any room, but it was more than adequate. We requested a second lounge chair which was delivered very promptly by our butler, Amar, as the weather was a bit bad initially so we spent a bit of time reading on the balcony rather than on the beach. The beach was litterally at the steps of our terrace and was beautiful. I think all the rooms look incredible though, all have ocean views and are steps from the beach. The decoration is just to my taste and the attention to detail was incredible.

The food: A true high point! All of the food (and I do mean all, from the nibbles delivered every evening at turn down, to the canapes served with drinks at the 1904 bar, through every meal in every venue) was absolutely incredible. To the standard of any good London restaurant. We were very very impressed. Every venue also had a very distinct identity and cuisine, which I think can be hard to achieve at larger hotels.

The service: I have read complaints about the service but I have to say that for us, the service was impeccible. It was personal and attentive and our every need was pre-empted but it was also delightfully understated and not at all pushy. Our butler was wonderful. My husband was nervous about the idea of a butler at first, but by the end of the trip wanted to take him home! Amar would come round every morning and ensure we had everything we needed, that any activities we would like to try were scheduled and that we were booked into a suitable venue at a good time to eat. He also arranged for a very special dinner at the Floating Market to celebrate our birthdays (my 30th, my husbands 40th) and our wedding anniversary...it was incredible. And when we returned to our room we had champagne and macaroons. The staff often remembered our names and preferences even though we were only there for a week. Any need or request we had was dealt with swiftly and precisely. The bar and service staff were wonderfully pleasant and warm and we never had to wait for anything. I could not fault it.

The public areas: Are all incredible. This hotel has had a seriously good designer and I could not fault one part of it. It is beautiful. Worth a visit just to get ideas for home!

The activities: The watersports team and equipment are very very good. My husband is a keen water skiier and although we only managed one ski as the weather wasn't great for us, the boat was very new and good and the driver was excellent. The facilities available are excellent and the equipment is all brand new. The kids club is also amazing. We saw them trying out water skiing, and skuba diving in the pool and star gazing at night and having a disco! We did not bring our children this time but will definitely do so next time!

Value for money: It is not cheap. But generally worth every penny. My only very slight gripe was the price of wine which was really very high. The cheapest bottle on the list was around £40 and they went well towards £200. For me, this is too high and we know that other hotels in Mauritius are able to offer better value in this regard. However, if I went back I would probably just not drink very much wine and enjoy the wonderful ambiance with soft drinks!

I have never ever written a review of a hotel before...I generally don't bother even if they are good. But this place is exception. The best place I have ever stayed in (including Oberoi's, Four Seasons, Peninsula's etc). We will definitely be back and are planning a trip for our extended family next year or the following year. Utterly, utterly incredible.

Room Tip: All the rooms are incredible. If you stay in a beachfront St Regis ask for a ground floor room as t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Eleanor M
Berkshire
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We're 6 days into an 8 day stay here at the St Regis and our trip has been one let down after another. You'll see from all my other reviews, which are mainly rated as fives, that I'm a very positive reviewer and in general love most of the places I've visited and stayed. However, on this occasion, that is not the case and my husband and I have suffered such disappointment and inconvenience I feel obliged to share. We've stayed at other St Regis properties and have just had a great stay at a Starwood sister hotel, the Phoenician.

The location and hotel itself are lovely and the staff try hard but that's where it stops. The problems we've had are numerous so I'm just going to bullet point them below:

- Landed at 6am and finally arrived in room at 9am having been up for 24hrs. Requested early check in (which we were paying for) and we were shown to damp, foisty, smelly room which clearly had suffered water damage (see photos of sofa). Coir rug under bed was damp, bedding damp and pillows smelt awful. Requested new room with a butler, was told not possible until the afternoon. I asked approximately what time and was told they'd let us know. Went out onto balcony as smell was too awful to stay in room. Attempted to sleep on daybed on balcony in heat! Drilling and sawing work started somewhere near us so got up and attempted to shower - no hot water. After cold shower went for lunch at the Boat House. After lunch checked status of room with reception but they were very unspecific about when it would be ready. Pushed for a more definitive time and was told could be 2 hrs. Went back to room and onto balcony to read and rest. By 4:30pm, some 2hrs 45 minutes after enquiring at reception, I called our butler (note that check in should be 3pm so I wonder if we were not the only ones waiting for a room). He said he'd look into it and call back. Nothing - no response for 45minutes! It's now 5:15pm and we need to be getting ready for a drinks reception we're attending so I walk back to reception and ask to see the Duty Manager but not after I spend 10mins while the receptionist tried calling about 4 different people, none of whom answered, to see if our room was ready. See the Duty Manager and finally get our new room and our bags transferred, by this point it's 6pm and we're being collected at 6:30pm. Waiting 9hrs for a room fit for occupancy is not acceptable.

- On Monday of our stay, I asked the concierge to book golf at Paradis for the Friday of our stay, told can only book 48hrs in advance but he'll take all the details and arrange it and confirm everything to us. I expect to hear back on the Wednesday - nothing. On Thursday I speak to the same contact and it's obvious it has not been booked as there were some hurried conversations in hushed tones and he offers me noon tee off. I'd requested 8am previously as no-one wants to play in the midday sun! He said St Regis guests do not get priority. This is ironic because at that particular moment my husband was playing at Paradis with a colleague (who was also staying at the St Regis) and they had tee'd off first thing and the round had only been booked the previous afternoon. Concierge even had the audacity to say our colleague was staying at Paradis when in fact he was most definitely staying with us at the St Regis. He argued this point twice! Really?

- Thursday evening we tried to have dinner at the Floating Market but was told it was full so directed to the Japanese restaurant across the way. The gentleman greeting us asked if we'd like a reservation for Floating Market the same time the next evening so we said 'yes please'. Some 2hrs later we leave and check the booking has been made, guess what? Nothing! I then make the reservation with the lady behind the desk but at a later time as our requested time is not available. Another disappointment.

- For three days running we've had no bath mats, shower caps or face cloths so have requested these with a butler who said they'd be on their way. Nothing after 45min so called again and they finally arrived as we were leaving to go out. Same thing for toothpaste. For some reason housekeeping threw ours out which we did not discover until we were getting ready. Guess how long new toothpaste took? Yes you guessed it, 45 minutes! We were just leaving when it arrived! Not pleasant to have to dry brush your teeth!

- Drinks service at the Boat House. We arrived to relax one afternoon and sat down. About 10 minutes later drinks menus arrived but then another 20 minutes and no one came to take our order so I went up to the bar and our server suddenly comes running. Our drinks arrive via a different person and he proceeds to pour all of my husbands small bottle of beer into the glass causing it to bubble over onto the table and go immediately flat! We had to request another one as this beer was undrinkable. This confused our server and he came back with two checks for both beers! We also requested some peanuts and they took another 10 minutes to arrive. There were no other guests in the bar area at this point so they were not busy.

- We still don't know who our butler is as every time I call the Butler service I speak to someone different. One gentleman introduced himself on our very first morning when we'd just arrived in the damp room but I've not seen anyone else since. It's hard to have your issues addressed when no one takes ownership and each time you call for a problem a different person answers.

- Echoing a previous review, there are lots of 'feral' children running around and neither the parents or management do anything about it. While we ate at the Indian restaurant several children just took the tea lights from the tables and were running around the gardens with them. Not acceptable when we were trying to have a quiet meal. This was close to 10pm and the restaurant manager should have asked the parents to get the kids to put the lights back. I'm not against children as have four sons of my own but there is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour!

The staff are very sweet and friendly but the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They need far more training and understanding on how to deliver five star service. There are so many staff for each area it's almost overpowering and none of them appear to know their specific jobs. You order drinks in the bar with one person, another person brings them, another person tops you up, a different person asks if you'd like a refill, a different one again brings your bill. On one occasion there were 8 of them stood at the entrance walkway chatting.

All the problems we've had have been down to the person we're dealing with not taking ownership and resolving the problem or just delivering a complete service. At this price point the service needs to massively improve. I appreciate the hotel is new and likely to have teething problems but after six months the type of issue we've experienced are unacceptable. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas only 3 months after opening and it was running like clockwork. At approximately €350 a night Management need to address the problems quickly. We were not alone in our issues, other guests we met had similar service let downs.

I just cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main building, a very long walk otherwise!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank pinkbootpootle
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review after your stay at the St. Regis Mauritius Resort!

We have reviewed your very constructive comments in a meeting and have put together an action plan to avoid the reoccurence of all the inconveniences and service issues you faced during your stay such as our check-in procedures and concierge communication.

It is only by receiveing such constructive comments like yours that we can embark on our journey towards excellence.

Please accept my apologies for having taken so long to reply as I was away on a business trip selling our beautiful resort to the world.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to Mauritius and have therefore asked Miss Amber Rudolf, Director of Butler Services, whom you met during your stay, to contact you in a seperate email.

Wishing you both a lovely week
Fond Regards from Mauritius,
Bernard
Paris, France
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I had been told about this wonderful hotel but the minute I foot a step in I realized that all I heard was more than I expected...
After a long flight and a very smooth ride by the coast we arrived at the St Regis we were warmly welcomed by staff we were imidiatly invited for a wonderful breakfast our butler Kevin came to say hello and told us our room was ready we both were surprised because normal check in are at 2 pm and that the time was 9 am
He took us to the room with a beautiful view on the beach and told us to he would come back as soon as we d rest from our long journey
After a nap we were taken around the hotel for a tour and explained all activities and hotel experiences holidays were starting in this dream place I must say that the rest if the stay was outstanding and that we loved every moment of it
Special thanks to the wonderful staff : Amade, Kevin, Giani, Johnathan, Virginie, Felicite and many more
Thankkkkk u for a amazing stay
We had the chance to meet the GM Mr Bernard de Villele and Stephanie Duval and I must say we had a very special moment with them

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Ludovic E
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am Actually in St. Régis at the moment and I am loving every single bit. The service, the food, the sea activities, the rooms are perfect .. Definitely coming back and will recommend to all friends and familly.. ;)

A special thank to the best amazing butlers Amadee and Kevin for making our stay memorable :)

• Stayed April 2013
Constance Le Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!