We're 6 days into an 8 day stay here at the St Regis and our trip has been one let down after another. You'll see from all my other reviews, which are mainly rated as fives, that I'm a very positive reviewer and in general love most of the places I've visited and stayed. However, on this occasion, that is not the case and my husband and I have suffered such disappointment and inconvenience I feel obliged to share. We've stayed at other St Regis properties and have just had a great stay at a Starwood sister hotel, the Phoenician.
The location and hotel itself are lovely and the staff try hard but that's where it stops. The problems we've had are numerous so I'm just going to bullet point them below:
- Landed at 6am and finally arrived in room at 9am having been up for 24hrs. Requested early check in (which we were paying for) and we were shown to damp, foisty, smelly room which clearly had suffered water damage (see photos of sofa). Coir rug under bed was damp, bedding damp and pillows smelt awful. Requested new room with a butler, was told not possible until the afternoon. I asked approximately what time and was told they'd let us know. Went out onto balcony as smell was too awful to stay in room. Attempted to sleep on daybed on balcony in heat! Drilling and sawing work started somewhere near us so got up and attempted to shower - no hot water. After cold shower went for lunch at the Boat House. After lunch checked status of room with reception but they were very unspecific about when it would be ready. Pushed for a more definitive time and was told could be 2 hrs. Went back to room and onto balcony to read and rest. By 4:30pm, some 2hrs 45 minutes after enquiring at reception, I called our butler (note that check in should be 3pm so I wonder if we were not the only ones waiting for a room). He said he'd look into it and call back. Nothing - no response for 45minutes! It's now 5:15pm and we need to be getting ready for a drinks reception we're attending so I walk back to reception and ask to see the Duty Manager but not after I spend 10mins while the receptionist tried calling about 4 different people, none of whom answered, to see if our room was ready. See the Duty Manager and finally get our new room and our bags transferred, by this point it's 6pm and we're being collected at 6:30pm. Waiting 9hrs for a room fit for occupancy is not acceptable.
- On Monday of our stay, I asked the concierge to book golf at Paradis for the Friday of our stay, told can only book 48hrs in advance but he'll take all the details and arrange it and confirm everything to us. I expect to hear back on the Wednesday - nothing. On Thursday I speak to the same contact and it's obvious it has not been booked as there were some hurried conversations in hushed tones and he offers me noon tee off. I'd requested 8am previously as no-one wants to play in the midday sun! He said St Regis guests do not get priority. This is ironic because at that particular moment my husband was playing at Paradis with a colleague (who was also staying at the St Regis) and they had tee'd off first thing and the round had only been booked the previous afternoon. Concierge even had the audacity to say our colleague was staying at Paradis when in fact he was most definitely staying with us at the St Regis. He argued this point twice! Really?
- Thursday evening we tried to have dinner at the Floating Market but was told it was full so directed to the Japanese restaurant across the way. The gentleman greeting us asked if we'd like a reservation for Floating Market the same time the next evening so we said 'yes please'. Some 2hrs later we leave and check the booking has been made, guess what? Nothing! I then make the reservation with the lady behind the desk but at a later time as our requested time is not available. Another disappointment.
- For three days running we've had no bath mats, shower caps or face cloths so have requested these with a butler who said they'd be on their way. Nothing after 45min so called again and they finally arrived as we were leaving to go out. Same thing for toothpaste. For some reason housekeeping threw ours out which we did not discover until we were getting ready. Guess how long new toothpaste took? Yes you guessed it, 45 minutes! We were just leaving when it arrived! Not pleasant to have to dry brush your teeth!
- Drinks service at the Boat House. We arrived to relax one afternoon and sat down. About 10 minutes later drinks menus arrived but then another 20 minutes and no one came to take our order so I went up to the bar and our server suddenly comes running. Our drinks arrive via a different person and he proceeds to pour all of my husbands small bottle of beer into the glass causing it to bubble over onto the table and go immediately flat! We had to request another one as this beer was undrinkable. This confused our server and he came back with two checks for both beers! We also requested some peanuts and they took another 10 minutes to arrive. There were no other guests in the bar area at this point so they were not busy.
- We still don't know who our butler is as every time I call the Butler service I speak to someone different. One gentleman introduced himself on our very first morning when we'd just arrived in the damp room but I've not seen anyone else since. It's hard to have your issues addressed when no one takes ownership and each time you call for a problem a different person answers.
- Echoing a previous review, there are lots of 'feral' children running around and neither the parents or management do anything about it. While we ate at the Indian restaurant several children just took the tea lights from the tables and were running around the gardens with them. Not acceptable when we were trying to have a quiet meal. This was close to 10pm and the restaurant manager should have asked the parents to get the kids to put the lights back. I'm not against children as have four sons of my own but there is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour!
The staff are very sweet and friendly but the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They need far more training and understanding on how to deliver five star service. There are so many staff for each area it's almost overpowering and none of them appear to know their specific jobs. You order drinks in the bar with one person, another person brings them, another person tops you up, a different person asks if you'd like a refill, a different one again brings your bill. On one occasion there were 8 of them stood at the entrance walkway chatting.
All the problems we've had have been down to the person we're dealing with not taking ownership and resolving the problem or just delivering a complete service. At this price point the service needs to massively improve. I appreciate the hotel is new and likely to have teething problems but after six months the type of issue we've experienced are unacceptable. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas only 3 months after opening and it was running like clockwork. At approximately €350 a night Management need to address the problems quickly. We were not alone in our issues, other guests we met had similar service let downs.
I just cannot recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. Regis Mauritius Resort is situated on one of the most privileged locations on the south westerly tip of the island, on the pristine white natural beaches at the UNESCO World Heritage site of Le Morne, bordered by a turquoise lagoon. The resort's backdrop of Mauritius' iconic Le Morne Brabant Mountain is defined by a lush green patchwork of sugar cane fields encircling a series of lofty peaks that overlooks the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The St. Regis Mauritius Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Mauritius Resort Le Morne