“Huge service issues need addressing at the top”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Berkshire
“Huge service issues need addressing at the top”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We're 6 days into an 8 day stay here at the St Regis and our trip has been one let down after another. You'll see from all my other reviews, which are mainly rated as fives, that I'm a very positive reviewer and in general love most of the places I've visited and stayed. However, on this occasion, that is not the case and my husband and I have suffered such disappointment and inconvenience I feel obliged to share. We've stayed at other St Regis properties and have just had a great stay at a Starwood sister hotel, the Phoenician.

The location and hotel itself are lovely and the staff try hard but that's where it stops. The problems we've had are numerous so I'm just going to bullet point them below:

- Landed at 6am and finally arrived in room at 9am having been up for 24hrs. Requested early check in (which we were paying for) and we were shown to damp, foisty, smelly room which clearly had suffered water damage (see photos of sofa). Coir rug under bed was damp, bedding damp and pillows smelt awful. Requested new room with a butler, was told not possible until the afternoon. I asked approximately what time and was told they'd let us know. Went out onto balcony as smell was too awful to stay in room. Attempted to sleep on daybed on balcony in heat! Drilling and sawing work started somewhere near us so got up and attempted to shower - no hot water. After cold shower went for lunch at the Boat House. After lunch checked status of room with reception but they were very unspecific about when it would be ready. Pushed for a more definitive time and was told could be 2 hrs. Went back to room and onto balcony to read and rest. By 4:30pm, some 2hrs 45 minutes after enquiring at reception, I called our butler (note that check in should be 3pm so I wonder if we were not the only ones waiting for a room). He said he'd look into it and call back. Nothing - no response for 45minutes! It's now 5:15pm and we need to be getting ready for a drinks reception we're attending so I walk back to reception and ask to see the Duty Manager but not after I spend 10mins while the receptionist tried calling about 4 different people, none of whom answered, to see if our room was ready. See the Duty Manager and finally get our new room and our bags transferred, by this point it's 6pm and we're being collected at 6:30pm. Waiting 9hrs for a room fit for occupancy is not acceptable.

- On Monday of our stay, I asked the concierge to book golf at Paradis for the Friday of our stay, told can only book 48hrs in advance but he'll take all the details and arrange it and confirm everything to us. I expect to hear back on the Wednesday - nothing. On Thursday I speak to the same contact and it's obvious it has not been booked as there were some hurried conversations in hushed tones and he offers me noon tee off. I'd requested 8am previously as no-one wants to play in the midday sun! He said St Regis guests do not get priority. This is ironic because at that particular moment my husband was playing at Paradis with a colleague (who was also staying at the St Regis) and they had tee'd off first thing and the round had only been booked the previous afternoon. Concierge even had the audacity to say our colleague was staying at Paradis when in fact he was most definitely staying with us at the St Regis. He argued this point twice! Really?

- Thursday evening we tried to have dinner at the Floating Market but was told it was full so directed to the Japanese restaurant across the way. The gentleman greeting us asked if we'd like a reservation for Floating Market the same time the next evening so we said 'yes please'. Some 2hrs later we leave and check the booking has been made, guess what? Nothing! I then make the reservation with the lady behind the desk but at a later time as our requested time is not available. Another disappointment.

- For three days running we've had no bath mats, shower caps or face cloths so have requested these with a butler who said they'd be on their way. Nothing after 45min so called again and they finally arrived as we were leaving to go out. Same thing for toothpaste. For some reason housekeeping threw ours out which we did not discover until we were getting ready. Guess how long new toothpaste took? Yes you guessed it, 45 minutes! We were just leaving when it arrived! Not pleasant to have to dry brush your teeth!

- Drinks service at the Boat House. We arrived to relax one afternoon and sat down. About 10 minutes later drinks menus arrived but then another 20 minutes and no one came to take our order so I went up to the bar and our server suddenly comes running. Our drinks arrive via a different person and he proceeds to pour all of my husbands small bottle of beer into the glass causing it to bubble over onto the table and go immediately flat! We had to request another one as this beer was undrinkable. This confused our server and he came back with two checks for both beers! We also requested some peanuts and they took another 10 minutes to arrive. There were no other guests in the bar area at this point so they were not busy.

- We still don't know who our butler is as every time I call the Butler service I speak to someone different. One gentleman introduced himself on our very first morning when we'd just arrived in the damp room but I've not seen anyone else since. It's hard to have your issues addressed when no one takes ownership and each time you call for a problem a different person answers.

- Echoing a previous review, there are lots of 'feral' children running around and neither the parents or management do anything about it. While we ate at the Indian restaurant several children just took the tea lights from the tables and were running around the gardens with them. Not acceptable when we were trying to have a quiet meal. This was close to 10pm and the restaurant manager should have asked the parents to get the kids to put the lights back. I'm not against children as have four sons of my own but there is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour!

The staff are very sweet and friendly but the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. They need far more training and understanding on how to deliver five star service. There are so many staff for each area it's almost overpowering and none of them appear to know their specific jobs. You order drinks in the bar with one person, another person brings them, another person tops you up, a different person asks if you'd like a refill, a different one again brings your bill. On one occasion there were 8 of them stood at the entrance walkway chatting.

All the problems we've had have been down to the person we're dealing with not taking ownership and resolving the problem or just delivering a complete service. At this price point the service needs to massively improve. I appreciate the hotel is new and likely to have teething problems but after six months the type of issue we've experienced are unacceptable. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Vegas only 3 months after opening and it was running like clockwork. At approximately €350 a night Management need to address the problems quickly. We were not alone in our issues, other guests we met had similar service let downs.

I just cannot recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main building, a very long walk otherwise!
10 Thank pinkbootpootle
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review after your stay at the St. Regis Mauritius Resort!

We have reviewed your very constructive comments in a meeting and have put together an action plan to avoid the reoccurence of all the inconveniences and service issues you faced during your stay such as our check-in procedures and concierge communication.

It is only by receiveing such constructive comments like yours that we can embark on our journey towards excellence.

Please accept my apologies for having taken so long to reply as I was away on a business trip selling our beautiful resort to the world.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to Mauritius and have therefore asked Miss Amber Rudolf, Director of Butler Services, whom you met during your stay, to contact you in a seperate email.

Wishing you both a lovely week
Fond Regards from Mauritius,
Bernard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

I had been told about this wonderful hotel but the minute I foot a step in I realized that all I heard was more than I expected...
After a long flight and a very smooth ride by the coast we arrived at the St Regis we were warmly welcomed by staff we were imidiatly invited for a wonderful breakfast our butler Kevin came to say hello and told us our room was ready we both were surprised because normal check in are at 2 pm and that the time was 9 am
He took us to the room with a beautiful view on the beach and told us to he would come back as soon as we d rest from our long journey
After a nap we were taken around the hotel for a tour and explained all activities and hotel experiences holidays were starting in this dream place I must say that the rest if the stay was outstanding and that we loved every moment of it
Special thanks to the wonderful staff : Amade, Kevin, Giani, Johnathan, Virginie, Felicite and many more
Thankkkkk u for a amazing stay
We had the chance to meet the GM Mr Bernard de Villele and Stephanie Duval and I must say we had a very special moment with them

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Ludovic E
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am Actually in St. Régis at the moment and I am loving every single bit. The service, the food, the sea activities, the rooms are perfect .. Definitely coming back and will recommend to all friends and familly.. ;)

A special thank to the best amazing butlers Amadee and Kevin for making our stay memorable :)

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank LibanEtc
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The property and setting were beautiful. The staff was gracious and always trying to please.

However, my wife and I experienced too many small disappointments that shouldn't happen at a St. Regis. For example, we arranged a driver through the hotel. Many of the drivers meeting people at the airport were in the terminal. Our driver was waiting for us outside the terminal.

When we arrived at the hotel, they were able to provide early check-in, which was much appreciated after 60 hours of travel, two red-eyes, and an 11-hour time change. However, they have a multiple step check-in and welcoming process that took forever. We just wanted to collapse in our room.

Our room was beautiful with a nice view of the beach. However, the landscaping crew was outside our room and making lots of noise while they worked. We also thought it less-than-ideal that the guest walkways shared the road with golf carts. It felt like the beeping carts in airport terminals.

We also had a safety concern. On our second morning there, our smoke alarm went off at 6:15 am. By the time we figured out what is was and got our bearings straight, it stopped. We did a quick check and dozed back off. 10 minutes later it went off again. We tried to call the front desk and then the Butler Desk to see what was going on but the lines were busy on the first try and no one answered on our second call. Now awake, we got up and went to the gym. On the way, we stopped by the Butler Desk to report the problem. They told us they had an "engineering problem" and all of the smoke alarms went off. They said that concerned guests all called the front desk and clogged the phone lines. What if there were a real emergency? It seemed like poor preparedness to us. The Butler asked what our room number was? We figured they would do something nice for us during our stay for waking us up and not responding to calls. We figured wrong.

The restaurants were not up to St. Regis standards. The sushi restaurant was quite good but it was the exception. In the past six months, we've eaten at the St. Regis in Dana Point and Kauai are both are head and shoulders above Mauritius. And, as another reviewer noted, the least expensive wine on their short list (2-3 dozen wines?) was a US$75 Sauvignon Blanc. It seemed way overpriced. Similar wines were US$12-20 in South Africa, even in the top-rated restaurants in SA wine country.

Finally, the resort is very family friendly... which is great if you bring the family. In our case, we just wanted a relaxing beach vacation and it was often noisy with kids playing at the pool and beach and crying during romantic meals. It felt like an upscale Club Med.

I don't think we would go back to Mauritius but if we did, we'd go to the Four Seasons.

8 Thank KonaNimmer
Allen, Texas
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel location and grounds are beautiful. Beach is big good for walking however the sand does have coral pieces in it and I was glad I had my water shoes. Service on the beach was lacking. The people at the hotel were very nice and friendly however there seemed to be a lack of communication between staff at times. Would be nice to have a daily newsletter to let people know what restaurants were open and the days events. We were there during a cyclone threat and the staff did keep us posted on the warnings. The spa was wonderful would definately recommend it. Food was good. I know the hotel is new and definately has some things to work on but since it is a St Regis property I would expect better at times. We did have a wonderful vacation despite the negatives and touring the island I think the hotel location is one of the best on the island. It is a quiet area and great for relaxing!

2 Thank Conniez972
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed April 15, 2013

A luxury resort situated on a fantastic beach, surrounded by the lush Mauritian green forests... What was the best about it: the garden surrounding the villas - beautiful; the kids entertainment team - our daughter loved the activities; the restaurant on the beach (The Boat House) - very good food and wine selection; the sommelier (Thieri) really makes a difference with his professionalism and service; the place is very well located and perfect foe all types of water activities or jogging in the forests. What was not so good: the organization of the staff in the restaurants - sometimes we had the feeling that nobody knows who should be doing what and the service was slow; the butler service - not very proactive, sometimes missing; the servicing of the villa - the staff keeps forgetting things.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stan040
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My review for the St. Regis is long overdue as i was staying there in March 2013 with my 2 kids. I had some positive and negative comments about the resort which are as follows:

Kiteflyer club- The most well planned and organized section of the resort. The team were so lovely to my children that i could safely and happily leave them in the kids club and not have a single worry about them. They catered to my children so efficiently with such a positive attitude. This team have been very well trained and i loved the idea of the schedule which they developed so you always knew what your kid was doing during the day and if you would like to join in during the day its always an option. The kids also had their own private swimming pool, which was so refreshing as it was clean and child friendly which many resorts lack. For families with kids, this is one of the best areas in the resort.

Butler service- the butler service was refreshing to have in a hotel when you have kids. Amar was particular very good, with all the random requests we had asked for he was able to help us in every way possible. He was very attentive and catered to our every need. However, the night butler wasn't as efficient and didnt know he was on duty many of the times.

Dining- Couldn't ask for more! Without fail at every meal Fabian would be walking around asking if our meal was ok and catered to all our needs at all times. Very attentive and catered to our every need!

Gym- The trainers at the gym were very good, very thorough and catered to our needs. The gym was kept clean and high quality equipment.

Unfortunately there were a few flaws which we experienced, the room service took exceptionally long to come once ordered, and was often left in our room even though they had been called several times to pick up. I had called the receptionist at the Pavillion several times for a specific request i had and had to wait 24 hours to hear back from her, wasn't sure why.

Overall, we enjoyed the stay thoroughly with a few glitches here and there but overall a great hotel, beautifully furnished. And a wonderful hotel for kids, very child friendly...Would definately come back again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!