“Level of service too low for this standard and price”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Paris, France
“Level of service too low for this standard and price”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am a Mauritian living in Paris for 15 years. Every time I go back to Mauritius, I try to stay in a different hotel. So I can say that I have stayed in a large number of them. Up to now, I have never felt like writing a review as everything has been perfect in all the 4* and 5* Mauritian hotels. When things are perfect, you never feel the need to review them!
Since I will bring my future wife to Mauritius in June, I decided to take the opportunity of spending 1 wk in Mauritius to check out 3 hotels (2 nights in each) so as to make sure she will be impressed when she will be there for the first time! :-) I decided to try a hotel in the North (Le Maritim 5*), one in the west ( La Pirogue 4*) and supposedly the new jewel on the Mauritian hotel scene: Le St Regis (some say 6*). Nothing to report on both Maritim and La Pirogue. Both perfect and I highly recommend both with a slight preference for Maritim.

My stay at the Saint Regis has been so different that I felt compelled to write this review. There are obviously positives: fabulous infrastructure, fantastic à la carte food (congratulations again to the Chef), great gym with top of the range equipment, spacious rooms with luxurious bathroom, a butler service, great bedding, beautiful beach...

It seems to be a pity that the management of St Regis Mauritius seems not to have realized that great infrastructure is not enough if the service is not there. Let me explain: I booked a room for 2 nights at the Saint Regis and I phoned them to ask for 2 separate beds (I was with my brother). We arrived and were immediately impressed by the hotel infrastructure. Our assigned butler made us visit the hotel and I was so impressed that I requested that someone contact me to make a booking for 10 nights in June! We were correctly given a room with two separate beds as instructed which was perfect. Great spacious room with nice bathroom, coffee machine, nice view of the ocean...great stuff!

From then, everything went downhill. I decided to have a shower and the water went from cold to boiling! I nearly got myself burnt! I called our butler who quickly came to check. He confirmed the problem and ask for a maintenance guy to come over. The latter confirmed that the shower had been wrongly installed as hot and cold water were inverted. Our butler called the duty manager who also came to check and confirmed that the shower was dangerous! Luckily no child had been in there first or this could have been a very different situation...The manager on duty said that we needed to change rooms. We agreed and waited in the room until they called us in one hour to show us an inferior room with no ocean view. We obviously refused and were then asked to pay a supplement to get another room as only junior suites were available. We were a bit shocked and explained that we should not have to pay because their malfunctioning shower nearly burnt me and that we would gladly keep our room if they can fix the shower! He then had to make some phone calls before informing us that we will get the junior suite without supplement. Two hours has already been lost! While waiting for the new room to get ready, we decided to go to the Spa. There, the jacuzzi and the steam room were not functioning. Only the sauna was operational. Moreover, the steam room was absolutely disgusting with rust all over the place. This was so shocking that I went to get my phone to take some pictures. I showed the pictures to the Spa manager who agreed this was unacceptable and nothing near the St Regis standard! They immediately closed that steam room with an out of order sign. It was then 8pm and we were still without a room whilst we checked in at 3pm! We went for dinner in Le Manoir restaurant which was very nice with the exception of a ridiculously pricey wine list. Later on, our butler confirmed to us that they found a better room for us but it was with one bed and quite far away from the main buildings. It was around 9.30 pm, we were fed up and tired and agreed.

The new room we were assigned was phenomenally huge, had a living room, beachfront, 2 Tvs, huge bathroom...we had obviously been upgraded to something better than the junior suite...Maybe the photos I took of the disgusting steam room had something to do with it? However, we had one bed instead of two, the room was very smelly, no lights on the terrace and we were quite far from the restaurants and the main building. Our butler came in with some essential oil diffuser for the smell but that did not help much. We said that we would like to speak to the manager the next morning about all this and went to bed. Basically, one day completely lost!

Nest morning, we had to phone at least 4 times to manage to speak to the Residence Manager, Ronan, who was obviously very busy. To be fair, there were loads of problems in the hotel due to some exceptional heavy rainfall the previous day in the North of Mauritius and Ronan had to take care of all those. However, I do not think the malfunctioning shower, rusty steam room and the wrong handling of the situation had anything to do with the rains. We finally met Ronan in the afternoon and explained the situation to him. He apologized, agreed that it was unacceptable and offered me an upgrade on my next stay. I told him that I thought that was a bit light in view of the situation and that I read on Tripadvisor that someone got 3 nights stay because the food was not good. (see Tom N review on 1st February 2013). I would have thought that risking getting burnt and not having a room for 6 hours in addition to several other problems would be considered a little more serious. Ronan bluntly asked us if we were looking for free nights! We felt deeply insulted and had the feeling he was expecting us to apologize for making a fuss about having a shower with boiling water, no room for 6 hours and a Spa where most of the services are not operational and a steam room which is disgusting...I explained to him ( trying to keep my calm) that I was not looking to extort free nights from him but was just taking an example to show that a mere upgrade on a future stay does not adequately compensate for the prejudice suffered. Probably sensing that he made a huge judgement error, he said that he would also waive the fee for the first night which for me is completely normal since we only got a room at 9.30 pm and lost a whole day sorting out the problems. Basically, we got the minimum compensation and my brother had to sleep on the couch.

I will not elaborate on the numerous other problems: late cleaning of the room, numerous 30 seconds blackouts, one hour to get some ice in the room (3 calls needed), more than one hour to get a golf car to pick us up (4 calls needed), dead cockroach in the room, etc... I think all these problems can be attributed to the exceptional rainfall that day. However, there are other problems which are much more serious and the management of the hotel should seriously look at remedies and stop putting these on teething problems 5 months after being operational.

I will be back there for a couple of nights in June and I will keep the Tripadvisor community informed if in my opinion things have been corrected and improved. I will also check if they do remember to upgrade me as promised. As a conclusion, it is impossible to recommend this hotel with the current level of service. If they manage to achieve the level of service of the Touesrok, Four Seasons, Dinarobin or even the Maritim, this hotel has the potential to be the best in the country but still has a very long way to go...

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms with ocean view are nice. Ask for a room close to the main building as you cannot rely...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Lindrent
StRegisMauritius, Resident Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Mr Thanacoody,

Thank you for your detailed review of your short stay with us over the recent weekend, which was indeed hampered by incredibly unprecedented weather. Although our team worked around the thunderstorms, there were indeed some issues that should not have happened as you describe them. With the Easter holidays we had a number of guests arriving at the same time and trying to secure you a new room took some time and I apologise that we could not find you a twin bedded room on this occasion. The water issue in your first room was fixed late on Sunday afternoon, and we are working on rectification of the steam room shortly. We also experienced some power outages (21cm of rain in 2 hours) which affected the controls of the jacuzzi.

I acknowledge that you asked to meet with me at 9.30, which I did and explained to you that due to the full hotel I could not spend time with you until a little later in the day to listen to the issues you had experienced. We spoke, and I came to your room and listened to your comments which I acknowledged were extremely useful in ensuring continuous improvement. I also personally welcomed you parents who visited during the day and oversaw your dinner service, which I am glad to hear you were impressed with. I offered you a number of options for you and your future wife to enjoy during your stay in June and I also met you at breakfast on Monday morning to see how you both slept and you acknowledged that everything was fine now.

I remain at your disposal if you wish to discuss your stay further. I’ve personally attended to your future booking in June and will ensure an exceptional stay for you on this special vacation.

Warm regards, Ronan – Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We are half way through our honeymoon at the St. regis and I though it would be interesting to write my review now.

We have been here for 4 nights and have thoroughly enjoyed our stay so far. The food and butler service have been the highlights of the facilities from the hotel. We have a junior suite on a full board basis.

The butler service was great from the outset when they unpacked our bags and since then have helped with all our requests.

For the food options, the full board has been exceptional.

The breakfast is very thorough with everything you would expect from a hotel with a few extra touches such as the smoothies and crepes/fresh French toast.

The lunch menu at the Boathouse has so much variety we have been spoilt for choice. Simple salads in the starter have at least 3 options which are very well prepared and varied. The mains are exceptional as well, simply having the chicken wrap is a special experience.

For dinner all restaurants have been out of this world, the dining experience at the Le Manoir was a fitting experience for our once in a lifetime honeymoon.

The decor in dining areas, games room and swimming pool area have again been higher than we expected and are grateful we have had the pleasure of experiencing this property. The water sports available for free are great and the staff very helpful. It is wise to double check your plans as the weather has been a bit unpredictable.

The spa is very impressive as well, with complimentary steam room and jacuzzi. The treatments and treatment rooms are very relaxing and of a premium standard.

On the flip side there are some comments to give those considering this as a holiday / honeymoon destination.

On the room type, please note the junior suites are not all such that you walk out onto the beach from your room. When booking the hotel website and travel agent gave this impression, but in reality the suite we have is on the second floor so our terrace does not open out into the beach.

With regard to check in, there were a couple of points which were mis communicated and I do feel that it is unacceptable to allow miscommunications to happen. Firstly we were told on a full board basis drinks at lunch and dinner were fully chargeable, but the first night is complimentary. In reality the restaurant we ate at did not know about this. In my view this should be properly communicated to all parties at check in.

Secondly we were spoken to about the option of getting breakfast in our room complimentary if we called the butler service to arrange it. But we were later told this would all be chargeable including a tray charge, which did disappoint my bride who was really looking forward to it.

With regard to service they are quite attentive but of the 10 or so meals we have had, 3 times our drinks have been incorrect, twice my wife, who does not drink, has been given the alcoholic version when specifically asking for non alcoholic and once the bottle of wine I ordered was incorrect, I would recommend making the waiters write down your requests.

Finally I was say this property is a very family orientated complex. The other guests are largely in families and there are a lot of children. My comment to any honeymooners would be to consider if this is an issue for you and therefore the best place for you. Personally we have thoroughly enjoyed the stayed and are looking forward to the remainder, but for a honeymoon, I feel it is a time when the bride should be made special when she is out and about in the property and some extra touches which couple only resorts would have.

Hope this was helpful!

• Stayed March 2013
8 Thank Holidayhoneymoon2013
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Holidayhoneymoon2013 ,

Thank you for not only for your compliments but taking the time to provide the feedback during your honeymoon at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort! I hope you will try out our Iridium Spa and take advantage of the relaxation as a new married couple.

I have passed on your compliments to the Chef Oliver as St Regis Mauritius prides itself in offering six restaurants with exclusive a la carte menus and a wide choice in culinary destinations: India, Mauritius, South East Asia, Japan and a Beachside Grill.

We are happy for all comments and reviews we receive; rest assured that all of the comments posted here are communicated to our staff as well as very helpful, and yours will be utilised as a way to thank them all for their commitment and dedication

We so look forward to making the second half of your honeymoon memorable and welcoming you back in the very near future!

Bernard - General Manager
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

St. Regis is an amazing place but has disappointed me in some areas. I believe that it is a superb hotel but doesn't really merit the 6 stars.

The service at the hotel was the one thing that was very poor. There was many miscommunication and although we are all human and we all make mistakes it gets tiring after a while to explicitly stress out what we wanted. The buggies took over half an hour to come; understandable due to the bad weather recently but tiresome all the same. I had gotten woken up quite rudely by the housekeeping service even though I had placed a "privacy" sign outside my door. The single receptionist was absent at times, and it was just not very pleasant to be waiting on staff like that.

Next the rooms; wow. I actually quite enjoyed the rooms and (on the days I didn't get rudely woken up) it was relaxing to stay in bed. One comment about the bathroom was that it was amazing at first- then I got my doubts. The bathtub water was a murky brown- which wasn't very pleasing after the initial thought of having a warm bath in a huge bathtub. Next, the bathroom ceiling started dripping during the night and we could not find the cause of it until much later.

The food was amazing however. I strongly recommend The Grill Boathouse. Another point I'd like to comment. We asked for the volleyball from the boathouse and got directed to the staff organising the activities then go directed to the teen's club and then redirected to the restaurant and then to the boathouse before telling us the volleyball was already on its way from somewhere. The lack of information about something as simple as a volleyball was simply vexing.

It is truly a remarkable hotel but needs to work on some areas.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Angel_Hazel25
Dear Angel_Hazel25,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our resort. Please accept our most sincere apologies if you have felt that the service was too slow and that there was lack of communication throughout your stay. We take your comments very seriously and we are more determined and focused on the delivery of more consistent service. Indeed the weather affected the buggy service during the peak dinner times and we are truly sorry about that.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort in the near future

Bernard - General Manager
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We were spending our vacation there in March 2013 during the official inauguration party. The hotel setting is truely fantastic. Very elegant, open and light in a classic island style. The rooms are spacious, the bathroom was so cool that we would have loved to pack it up and take it back home! ;). The beach is in sight from every bungalow and super clean ( it get's a sweep every morning). Ocean is clean and invited to snorkling as the lagoon is full of coral and fish. Of course this also generates some hazards... I wittnessed a guy who capsized while using one of the complimentary sailboats and cut his legs on the corral while trying the get the boad back up. The rescue boat from the hotel was there within a few minutes but anyone who has had this experience with coals knows that you better stay away from them. Also smal broken of pieces of coral get washed onto the beach. so it's better to be careful while going into the water or to wear shoes. Still the beach was one of the most pretty beaches I've ever been to.
Food: Oh my God! It's high class. If you are looking for fast food you are at the wrong hotel. everything there is a culinaric highlight! But DO consider to pay for half bord since the prices are corresponding and there is not an option to dine out side the hotel ( it just won the "hide away prize). The only option is to walk to the tip of the peninsula ( where the kite surfers are) and go to the little mobile snak bar there...
The water sports center is another secret! Go check out all the cool comlpimentary stuff they offer there.
Butler Service is nice and very attentive.
All in all this hotel is a diamond! It's not entirely without minor flaws but which diamond is?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lukkucairi32
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful resort!!! This was our first trip with our 3yo son and what a fantastic time he had. The staff are exceptionally friendly and always helpful. The rooms were great and comfortable. Getting around the resort in an always available golf cart was awesome. The positioning of the resort was fantastic and sooo relaxing, with great pools and the most beautiful sunsets. The kids club were very active and Fanny, Sheela, Indranee were awesome with little Andrew. He often cried to go to the kids club and the evening bonfire's on the beach were thoroughly enjoyed. The concierge service was very effective and quickly sorted requests/issues we experienced. Really super work Roody and Cris. The water sports and staff were great. We hired the hotel vehicle for a day outing and 'Big G' as they called him (Gino) was great. He took us round the South of Mauritius as a tour guide and he was very knowledgable about the Island. A special thanks to our butlers Avi and Rishi, they were at our beckon call at all times and their service was impeccable. We also enjoyed the way they interacted with Andrew and made his time special. The only issue I picked up was unfortunately when we left the early around 04h55 in the morning. We needed to get our airport transfer at 0500 and we were taken to one of their satellite offices The staff insisted that we had not paid for 1 colddrink, which was consumed the previous afternoon. We had made certain that we settled our bill the previous evening after dinner, so we could ensure no delays for our early departure the following morning. It is clearly a process that needs to be reviewed. It seems this single cold drink for my son was not added to our total bill. My wife seems convinced we duplicated the payment, but we paid the bill as we needed to get to the airport. This left us leaving bitter while driving away. This whole episode could have been avoided if the single cold drink was added to the total bill when we settled. Anyway, we have very good memories and will always speak highly of the St Regis Mauritius hotel and staff.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brad B
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in this luxurious hotel, I say pleasure, because we have all had the hotel terrors (hence this site) I was mostly impressed with the hotel staff who are professional, and friendly. There are a few trivial teething problems, (it only opened in November)but really not anything that is not going to be ironed out, very quickly. We lunched at the boathouse, on the beach, a piece of paradise to behold. Food was almost as good as the views around us, the presentation, service everything exceptional. The restaurants are all very good, but the one thing we all go away for on a beach holiday, is for the white sand, blue sea, relaxation and the feeling of escapism. They have captured all this, and more, and you just want to go back, and I will for sure, something I dont tend to do ( so many places to see) this is a must for anyone who wants to visit Mauritius. A big thank you to the butler service who are so helpful, and a special thank you to Yashmini who is a star for St Regis.

Room Tip: You would not have a bad room, they are all beautifully appointed. If you dont like walking, request...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen H
Paris, France
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I am really impressed by the standards of this new Starwood hotel. Everything was simply impeccable from beginning to end, elegant and stylish.
My tpp stars goes to the Sommelier Vikraam who found the perfect match between meals and wine, a very deep knowledge of wine culture ,a desire to share and his knowledge and passion with guests with a personal visit of the st Regis cellar. he is really a Top sommelier who has had experiences in stars Michelin restaurants in France and Monaco, so if you are a wine connaisseur do not hesitate to engage with him. however the prices on the wine list are too high, minimum is 75 dollars for a bottle, when South Africa is so close. I think it would be a good idea to either reduce the price of the wine or to offer a discount to full board customers . the same goes to the Spa which was very quiete. it is an extraordinary Spa, where you are tempted to go, but prices are high and it would be a good idea to offer a discount to Full board clients, because they are the one who spend all day in the hotel and on the beach. the gym trainer Arnaud is a professional Olympic athlete who has a very deep knowledge of his work and share his passion with his clients. He is very into his passion and it is really motivating if you are trying to improve your health condition. he is a professional Olympic athlete, super fit and friendly.
food is out of this world, well presented, well served by professional waiters, is very tasty and fresh, and original and creative. there is a good assembly between different flavours, so food is surprising and it is true, someone else said it is something you look forward to every day, the same goes to the deserts which are just exquisite.
service was simply impeccable and I will be looking forward to my next visit here.

Room Tip: All rooms are very similar and very good, you won't be disappointed
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicolas R S
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Nicolas R S,

Thank you for taking the time to review The St. Regis Mauritius Resort after your return and for your constructive comments!

I am very proud to read your lines and have passed on your compliments to Vikram and Arnaud in particular. However, rest assured that all associates have seen a copy of your posting and thank you for your kind words, especially our Executive Chef, Olivier Belliard.

Your comment about the price of the wines is certainly understandable. In Mauritius, the import of wines and spirits is extremely costly because of the types of containers needed to preserve the bottles from suffering from the travels. These items are also submitted to a very high customs fee and additional taxation. Vikram absolutely does his best to provide our distinguished guests with a selection of wines that suit their connoisseur palate as much as our Culinary Team’s work.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our beautiful Resort in the near future and hope spring will not take too much time to come to Paris this year.

Bernard – General Manager
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!