“Beautiful Facility That Needs To Rearrange Its Service Priorities”

The St. Regis Mauritius Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St. Regis in late November to early December. This new hotel was beautiful but not quite completed. The store and gaming area were still under construction and the whine of power saws made sleeping on the beach impossible. The staff were very friendly, however focused on formality rather than real service. For example, at the restaurants, someone was always there to take the napkin from the table and lay it across your lap for you, however 1/3 or our reservations were missed and food came out wrong 1/3 of the time as well. We had to call to have our room made up 5 times (literally 5 times!) one day before it was finally done, but turn down service was consistently executed.

I realize that the St. Regis is targeted at a customer segment that wants turn down service and "napkin service" and I certainly don' t care about these things. But I did expect them to be good at taking reservations (which are required at all but one restaurant there), cleaning rooms, etc. I assume that with time the new staff there will get better at execution of the basics there. But unless for some strange reason I am there to actually experience reasonable service there, I can't in good conscience recommend this beautiful hotel to friends going to Mauritius.

Room Tip: If I went again, I would stay in a beachfront room closer to the main house. The beach rooms have h...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joejhartzell
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear JoejHartzell,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort back in November, shortly after our Grand Opening.

I am delighted to read that despite the fact that certain facilities where not yet operational during your stay, you have appreciated the Resort and our associates.

We certainly needed a few weeks to iron out most of the service issues you mention, however you may see from the recent reviews that the extensive St. Regis Training now bears its fruits.

I very much hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort such as for you to experience the progress made since the early days.

Bernard

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Mauritius Resort

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel mid November and it is in an absolutely stunning location. Everything about this hotel is wonderful. You are escorted directly to your suite on arrival and your butler checks you in in your room. The rooms are beautiful with great views of the ocean. The beach is immaculate and the pool area is huge. My favourite place was the Boathouse restaurant which is like a private beach club with a wonderful bar area perfect for cocktails . As the hotel had not long opened the staff were obviously still learning. There were a lot of staff around but it took ages to get a drink or be served at breakfast. I would suspect that they have got this sorted very quickly.
I would not hesitate to return to this hotel this is definitely the place to be in Mauritius.

4  Thank GillyH60
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear GillyH60,

Thank you dearly for taking the time to post this very constructive comment about your stay at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort upon your return.

You have been amongst our first guests and we are thrilled to read your feelings and thoughts about your stay. We believe that excellence is a Journey and have worked tirelessly towards providing our discerning guests with a bespoke and uncompromising St. Regis Service.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our beautiful Resort very soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the St. Regis Mauritius from Dec 16 until Jan 10 for my vacation and was highly satisfied with the hotel and its services - in particular I would like to mention:

- Setting - beautiful white beach, great ocean, reef for snorkeling in swimming distance
- Services - highly attentive, personal service; highly skilled management able to respond to client needs effectively
- Rooms - wonderful suites located directly at the beach, beautifully and luxiriously decorated
- Activities - comprehensive activity program organized by hotel, water sports (e.g. waterskiing) included in room price at no extra charge
- Food - 6 beautiful restaurants, large choice of dishes / variety, able to meet individual needs

I can recommend this hotel for a dream vacation (honeymoon, relaxation, celebration) without reservation - from my experience it has the potential to be the best hotel in Mauritius.

Room Tip: Take one of the suites directly located on the beach, not in the Manor house to have direct beach ac...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank TvdD
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Mr. TvdD,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort upon your return and please excuse the delay of my response.

I am proud and delighted about your comments which give the Team and myself a true feeling of having achieved what we aim for: to procure a feeling of joy and maintain your five senses in a state of permanent levitation during your stay.

We all sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our beautiful Resort very soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and I stayed at the St Regis Mauritius from 22nd December until the 30th. Apart from the stunning location, outstanding food, and the super friendly staff, I would have to say that it was the 'little touches' that made the St Regis exceptional. The Christmas tree that greeted us in our room. Father Christmas arriving in a speedboat on Christmas day. Every child at the resort receiving a thoughtful personalized Christmas gift. The butlers using their initiative (the time at which you like ice delivered each day).
During our stay we ate at every restaurant. I cannot say we had a favorite as every meal we ate was exceptional. Living in Dubai, we get to eat at some excellent restaurants. I would rate the food as good, if not better than most I have eaten in Dubai. And the view is better! the service was outstanding in all restaurants. As each of the staff got to know us during our stay they were able to anticipate our next move and were one step ahead of us. I would recommend using the meal plan option in your booking, especially to set the kids up for a great day with a hearty breakfast. We particularly enjoyed the local fruit, and freshly cooked pastries on offer each day. We enjoyed relaxing on the couch at the Boatshed restaurant at lunchtime whilst our son swam in the pool. We were able to keep a close eye on him at all times whilst enjoying our meal and the gentle sea breeze.
We do not normally take advantage of the kids club whilst on holiday but found that our son actually requested to go on some of their excursions. At 5 years old, we were really impressed with how comfortable he felt going off for the day to the crocodile park with complete strangers. This is a testament to the friendly staff who work in the kids club, and the resort. We were also impressed with the facilities on offer at the kids club. They have an enclosed outdoor area with their own swimming pool. All of the toys were of an educational nature.
The beach is outstanding. I decided not to go for a dive whilst we were there as I felt that I had seen all that I needed to see in the lagoon right outside our door. The fish life was colorful and abundant. Another plus was the distinct lack of pollution. So often I have been diving in other countries and have been appalled at the amount of rubbish on the seabed. I did see one sight that I thought summed up Mauritius perfectly. When I was snorkeling one day I saw a champagne bottle growing out of the coral. This particular clump had a stunning range of fish surrounding it, including a lion fish. I went back the next day with my camera but do you think I could find it! There are two fabulous pools to accommodate those who do not like the salt water.
The staff at the St Regis made all of the difference. Each day we were greeted by a member of the management by name. They were genuinely interested in your happiness, and took the time to get to know you and your family personally. Nothing was a problem for any of the staff. It took us an extra 15 minutes to check out of the resort because we wanted to go around and personally thank each member of the staff who had made our stay the best holiday me and my family have had.
I would recommend this resort to any family. I am thinking of making it the location for the honeymoon my wife and I never had also as it is truly a romantic setting.
We are already planning our return family trip later this year.

Room Tip: Room tip: We were in room 530. This room is not only spacious, but is only 15 meters from the beach...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KiwiPaul71

Dear Family W,

Thank you dearly for taking the time to post these detailed comments about your stay at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort upon your return and please excuse the delay of my response.

You have stayed with us during the extremely busy period of our first festive season and we surely appreciate to read that you have enjoyed The St. Regis Experience.

Our Kite Flyers Club has received so many extremely positive comments so far, it is quite overwhelming! You and your son will surely be happy to read that for your upcoming visit, he will enjoy a new and vast array of additional toys and games as the long awaited shipment has finally arrived. Also Fanny, Sheila and their Team are working on offering always new excursions, craft activities and play times to our little connoisseurs.

Please do let us know if you decide to stay with us again, being on your Honeymoon or as a Family. We will think of something nice to thank you for your loyalty.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed at the St. Regis in the second week of our honeymoon (22 to 29 November 2012).

The hotel is nestled on a narrow strech between the road and the ocean. As it is situated on the west coast of the island, you are up for beautiful and romantic sunsets, sitting right at the beach, drinking sparkling. Towards the end of our stay, the management started to send two musicians along the beach at sunset, playing different instruments each day, a really nice touch.

The pool area is very nice, with spacious and elegant day beds, the pool is large.

The architecture is beautiful, the Manor House as well as the Spa have very high ceilings, creating a very spacious and elegant atmosphere, truly "Manor Style". Material and colours are very tasteful and elegant. The gardens are beautiful and will be magnificent in a couple of years, once everything has grown a little. We loved the Spa, the treatment rooms were huge, each with its own big terrace, huge bathrooms with built in steam baths and a huge shower, the staff was well trained, the massages perfect. We also loved the beauty products in the room, best we ever had so far. One thing that puzzled us a little though was the short bed in our Suite. I am 180cm and just about fit in. I would think that anyone taller than 190cm has his feet hanging out.

The houses are build in half circles along the beach, so while almost every house should have a see view, the ones right at the beach front are certainly the best ones, you are literally just 10m away from the beach.

The water is perfectly clear, when it is calming down in the evening you can actually watch littles fishes in it.

The food was fantastic. At night after dinner, walk around the pool and look back at the lit up Manor House against the backdrop of Le Morne and with the lights being reflected in the pool. Beautiful.

However and unfortunately, there were still a lot of things not functioning properly, as the hotel had just recently opened. The question is how long it will take to fix these.

We were placed in the last batch of houses, with our house being the only one that was occupied during our stay. The rooms in the other houses were still unfinished, with furniture missing and plastic covers on the mattrasses. It took the hotel 3 hours to give us our room on our arrival day, we think because they had forgotten to fix it up. When we finally got in, half the stuff was still missing (towels, mini bar, glasses, etc.).

The service did not work during the whole stay, there was no communication between the staff. You had to organize everything yourself which is not ideal on your honeymoon. While everyone was very friendly, they just took notes and disappeared, and when you followed-up a couple of hours later, the butler-service did not know what you were talking about and took notes again.

There is still a big construction site at the end of the hotel (about 100m from our suite) which means that depending on the wind, there was quite some noise till very late at night. The construction is right next to the last of the hotel houses so you hope that the hotel is not placing guests there during high seasons. During our stay, the full first floor of the Manor House was also still under construction as well, which meant construction noise during breakfast and if you stayed at the pool.

One of the restaurants that is prominently featured on the hotel website, the Japanese restaurant, was still closed. In the Japanese restaurant as well as in the Indian restaurant, neither full board nor half board count. Instead, you need to pay the full price but get a discount of 25% on your bill. This was probably one of the greatest disappointments for us because you are not informed about it on the website and the choice of 5 restaurants was actually one of the reasons why we chose the St. Regis. Given the prices you pay even with the opening offers, we did not think that this is acceptable. At least, the hotel should disclose this fact on its website.

In all of the other restaurants, you have some dishes on the menu for which you need to pay extra. For example, the Manor House offers a great beef filet for an additional charge of around 22 Euros and you get a great local lobster at the Beach restaurant. While these extra charges for certain special dishes seem to be quite common (we experienced the same at the Four Season where we stayed the first week), the problem for example in the Manor House is the small choice you have as the only two other main dishes all week were chicken and fish.

The choice in the Floating Gardes (great!) and the Beach restaurant is better but as the beach restaurant also serves lunch and the menue did not change for dinner, you are bound for eating the same dishes after a while. However, we were told that this will change.

Another disappointment was breakfast. We came from the Four Seasons were they served a truly gourmet breakfast, best one we ever had. You got a la carte dishes like eggs benedict on crab cake with a chili sauce, truffled scrambled eggs or ricotta pancake. All for free of course.
You get none of that at the St. Regis. While the quality of the food is again perfect, the menu is not inspiring at all. The buffet breakfast is assembled in a dark room, there is no sparkling and for anything a little bit gourmet, you need to pay extra. We (and obviosuly other guests as well) did not like the atmosphere of the Manor House restaurant, as it is rather dark and cold (felt like the waiting hall at a train station), which is especially obvious on a bright and beautiful Mauritius morning. Thus, most guests wanted to sit outside on the terrace where there was not enough room although the hotel had started to use the terrace of the Indian restaurant and the bar as well, which helped. Next to the restaurant, the hotel seems to set up something like a little rose garden, so if you would put up some sun umbrellas there as well, this could be a beautiful breakfast spot.

We were able to see improvements during the week we stayed at the St. Regis literally every day and we were told by the management that a lot of the problems were identified and being taken care of. The management and the staff was very friendly and as said before, the hotel and the beach is great. Once everything is completed and running smoothly, I am sure that it will be one of the best hotels in Mauritius. Good luck for that!

5  Thank Dr Andre H
StRegisMauritius, General Manager at The St. Regis Mauritius Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Dr. Andre H,

Thank you for your insightful review, I am glad that you enjoyed the décor and architecture of the property, the rooms as well as our “Walking Musicians”.
We are lucky to have such an extraordinary property and I am truely sorry that our service did not match your expectations in the early days of our operation.

I am very happy that further to your comments, most of these issues have been fixed mostly before the festive season:
All our rooms and Suites are now completed, furnished and ready to welcome our discerned guests.
Our Japanese restaurant Atsuko, the Library as well as the Teen Rooms have all opened on December 8th.
Full menus are in place for lunch and for dinner and offer a wider choice to our guests in residence.

I thank you greatly for the suggestions and comments, which have helped us in many ways. The Management Team and I sincerely thank you for your trust in our Brand and in our Property.

Bernard - General Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the St. Regis Mauritius for ten days in November/December, after an awful flight with Air France where we had to contend with shocking customer service and delayed baggage. Thankfully, on arrival at the hotel our experience drastically improved. Following check in, we stepped into our beautifully appointed room and were greeted with champagne on ice!

Rooms: We stayed in room no. 241; a Deluxe Ocean View Room which was elegant and luxurious with a large comfortable bed, a walk-in wardrobe with ample space, a writing desk, safe, air conditioning, and a superb entertainment centre with a good selection of TV channels. WIFI was complimentary throughout the resort and worked well. There was a stocked mini bar (the first fill was complimentary). We also had a private terrace with a lovely sea view. The views from the rooms do vary; some had a better view than ours and others worse. We were fortunate to be fairly close to the restaurants and facilities; some of the rooms are a long walk from everything (although the hotel does provide a buggy service). The bathroom was gorgeous and included a spacious shower, a huge round free standing bath tub and double sinks. Robes and slippers were also provided. We had a couple of issues with the hot water but these were quickly resolved. The room was serviced twice daily and each evening we were brought a plate of sweet treats. Our only complaint about the room was that the coffee machine was chargeable, which is often not the case in three star hotels never mind a St. Regis! And coffee and milk were often not replenished.

Facilities: The pool and grounds are beautiful and we occasionally took shade under one of the poolside gazebos. However the stunning beach setting and backdrop of Le Morne is what really makes this hotel stand out and consequently we spent the majority of our time on the beach. The water is shallow, calm and warm and it is possible to snorkel straight off the beach, which we really enjoyed. We were pleasantly surprised that we could sit out on the beach all day without being hassled by beach sellers as is often the case in other countries. Throughout the day, waiters brought out complimentary treats such as fruit kebabs and iced fruit shots. We used the tennis court frequently and visited the spa which is impressive and extensive but also very pricey! We had a couples massage and I had a facial, both of which were very good and we used the jacuzzi and sauna. Unfortunately not all of the facilities were open, such as the pool table which was a shame.

The hotel provided nightly entertainment. On one evening we were entertained by sega dancers. On another, we were sat on our terrace enjoying the sunset and were serenaded by two gentlemen that walk along the beach performing songs – that was a treat!

Food: Under our full board package we were able to dine at three restaurants: Le Manoir, The Boathouse and The Floating Market. Breakfast was always at Le Manoir, and was excellent, particularly the pastries. The Boathouse was the only restaurant open for lunch and has a spectacular outlook over the beach. The lunch menu offered a good variety and the rib eye steak was delicious. Our only issue was that service was often painfully slow, which would not be a problem in an evening but during the day we were keen to get back out on the beach. Le Manoir would have benefited from more choice on the menu but the food was always excellent quality; the pumpkin velouté was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted and the sea bream was also very tasty. The Floating Market was probably our favourite place to eat; the service seemed to run much more smoothly, the setting was gorgeous and the food was always great, particularly the desserts. On one evening we tried Simply India which was not covered under our full board package; we really enjoyed it and it was a nice change.

Staff and service is the main area which could be improved upon. We were not overly impressed with the personal butler service and service in the restaurants was often slow and erratic. However, some of the staff were exceptional, notably Roody, Luc and Fabienne and also Amber who rectified a couple of issues for us.

Local Area: We enjoyed a number of trips whilst in Mauritius. The hotel provides several complimentary excursions though the water sports centre such as snorkelling, glass bottom boat trips (during which we saw stingrays and a turtle) and water skiing which are all available daily. For others there is an additional charge; such as the swimming with dolphins trip we booked, but this was still very reasonable and by far the best activity of our holiday – we had two very close encounters with the dolphins which was awesome and unforgettable. We booked other excursions outside the hotel, including game fishing (we caught several tuna and saw a blue marlin being brought in from another boat), a day long catamaran cruise including snorkelling and a stop off at Ile aux Cerfs, and also Grand Bassin and the stunning Black River Gorges. We found Mauritius to be more expensive than other Indian Ocean destinations we have visited such as Kenya and Zanzibar and much more expensive than the Far East.

During our stay, the weather was absolutely glorious. As Mauritius is malaria free I was careless with the insect repellent and got bitten to shreds on a couple of occasions. The second incident warranted a trip to the hotel clinic which we found to be very professional, the clinic also provided us with complimentary sea sickness tablets for our game fishing excursion.

We booked our trip through Luxury Holidays Direct and would not hesitate to book with this operator again; the package we booked was fantastic value for money and Harvin was extremely helpful when the hotel opening was delayed and thus our holiday was rearranged from September to November, and also Klaudia who helped when my suitcase was delayed.

All in all, we had a brilliant and memorable holiday and wish the St. Regis Mauritius every success.

Room Tip: Our Deluxe Ocean View room was beautifully appointed, however the sea views do vary from room to roo...
3  Thank An_Ace_Wren

Dear An_Ace_Wren,

First and foremost, I would like to personally thank you for having preferred to reschedule your trip when The St. Regis Mauritius was delayed instead of going somewhere else. I feel proud and honoured that some of our guests care enough about The St. Regis Mauritius to reschedule their annual vacation and take the time to write such an extensive and detailed review of our Property.

I understand that although you obviously had a wonderful stay with us, certain aspects should be pointed out. A brand new team in a brand new location has needed more time than we would have initially expected to pull the right strings at the right moment and to apply the brand training they have received. The high occupancy of the festive season has created the necessary ambiance for the team to grow together strongly and our Management Team has started again its extensive training sessions and changed various processes that did not seem work.

Rest assured that I have passed on your appreciation to Roody, Luc, Fabienne and Amber and that I have congratulated them on their good work!

Sending you my very best wishes for 2013,
Bernard - General Manager

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We currently still at the resort until January 5th but being a new hotel, I know many future travelers are eager to see reviews, so here is part 1....

Met at the airport for a private transfer and seemingness drive to the hotel. Takes just about an hour. First impressions of the hotel is the striking location - at the foot of a massive volcanic structure on perhaps the most pristine beach I have been to in Mauritius sofar. Check-in was swift and introduction to our butler ( a St Regis signature ) saw us in the room in 15 mins. We have adjoining rooms - King for us and twin for the kids - room 213 & 214. The rooms connect through the dressing room. Rooms are spacious, have private terrace and sea views. Great bathroom and plenty of space. Butler service is fantastic and nothing is to much of an issue.
Restaurants:
Dinner day 1 at Boathouse. Food was great - service just a bit below expected but then the staff have only been serving for a few weeks - it seems the more superior restaurants have far greater waiting staff.
Dinner Day 2 - Atsuko ( japanese ) - WOW - fantastic sushi and don't miss the chicken
Dinner Day 3 - Floating market - WOW WOW - service was the best thus far, great food and the curried lamb shank was amazing. Don't miss the Hot n Sour soup.

Will be going to the Indian restaurant tonight. All breakfasts have been in the main dining room with a outdoor cooking station. Perhaps one of the best breakfast omelets I have ever had.

What is really impressive is the level of senior managers that are always on hand. You see them at breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are always around to confirm your dinner reservations and to answer any questions you have. Not often you have the GM and his Deputy walking the pool area chatting to guests.

Recognition was given as a Starwood Platinum member and we were invited to a complimentary sabrage champagne tasting. Well worth the effort to attend.

Activities - Kids club for youngsters and a teens game room. Aqua-aerobics in the pool every morning is great. make sure you book your dive / fishing / catamaran activities in advance as they get booked up - especially in peak periods. The guest experience manager Cindy Boli, sent full details in advance and made the whole experience sofa brilliant as we could plan properly.

Watch this space for the review of the next 5 days.......

Room Tip: 213/214 connect for people traveling with a family of 4
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank LangoKing

Dear LangoKing,

Thank you for taking the time to write about The St. Regis Mauritius Resort!

The Management Team and I have read your appreciation with great pride and thank you for having been our guest on the grand occasion of our first festive season and New Year Celebration.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Resort in the very near future and renew our very best wishes for 2013.

Ronan – Resident Manager

Constance Prince Maurice
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq
Dinarobin Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to The St. Regis Mauritius Resort? Share your experiences!