Book In Advance

from $81.14
from $80.66
from $118.25
1,177 results
All reviews worth the effort half way worth the climb amazing views easy climb rock climbing hour hike green gate great hike afraid of heights coming down dirt road second half local guide hiking boots halfway point locked gate
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2019 via mobile

Wonderful Trek.
It was a challenging hike but worth it...
It took 2.5 hours to get right uptop- 500 M above sea level and another hour or so to get back down with a guide from Yanature.

It's not for the faint of heart.
No helmets, no fancy climbing gear just hands and feet. The funny thing is that I'm really bad at fake wall climbing (my fingers go numb and it really hurts) but this stuff I can do! I'm not a pro but it's really cool and rewarding and most people can manage it if in in good health and willing to just do it!

Go. It's such an important natural monument to the history of Maroonage (escaped slaves) in Mauritius. If you are a history buff get a historical tour and take your mind off the steepness of the cliff faces. It's well worth the climb to get the breath-taking view.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed January 11, 2019

Magnificent view to the Mauritius and the ocean. Very important is to start your trial early morning. In january the heat start from 10 o'clock at morning .!!

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed January 9, 2019

Before arriving here was reading some blog that 'til halfway is ok and then is hitting the difficult part. First part, like one hour is, is quite fine, puts your body to move but can be done by everyone. After the Yellow sign and after the green gate which should be closed, the steep part kicks in. I mean was expecting from different reviews and blogs to be really hard, was hard but acceptable. I have to mention that I am moving quite often, being an active guy.

But being equipped with some simple Airmax 270, it was possible to make to the top, with my girlfriend and another friend of us, both of them not very sporty persons. But we did it. There are indeed some passages where you have to really climb with the hands and the legs, but it is ok. Take your time and try not doing it at 12-15:00 when the sun is burning. We were lucky that it was cloudy until we reached the top so the sun wasn't a problem.

Be prepared to be all sweaty by the end but the view breathtaking! No guide is needed, but don't do it alone!

2  Thank OrestePaven
Reviewed December 29, 2018 via mobile

It’s a great hike for people who are experienced in steep and technically-challenging hike. I would compare it to the Skeleton Gorge trail up Table Mountain in Cape Town, so a medium-to-difficult level hike. Don’t do it if you’re an inexperienced hiker, it’s not a inclined stroll. The first part is easy, but once you get to the signpost warning of dangerous terrain ahead, it becomes much more difficult. You can still stop there and still get a good view, it’s worth it.

Reviewed December 22, 2018 via mobile

We walked from the riu resort and were out for 5.5 hours in total!

It’s a 4 hour hike for sure.

We didn’t get a guide as we weren’t planning to walk all the way up. However there weren’t any clear “half way” signs etc so we felt like we could just go “a little further” and then ended up scaling it! Oops!

You can walk safely up most of it until you reach some green gates. I’d say that’s about an over half to 2 thirds mark. Then the final bit is basically a scramble/climb. It’s possible to do it without expertise (we did it) but it is quite challenging and shouldn’t be taken lightly! Also it’s quite dangerous. There’s a lot of cliff edges where if you fall, you’re probably done for!

That said, lots of people were doing it. I’d say if you are fit, not alone, have your wits about you, and it’s good weather, you’ll probably be ok. Go slowly and safely. Avoid anywhere near the edges. I went down on my bum a lot of the time coming back down so I wouldn’t fall.