“Looks better in Real than in the pictures !!”
Review of LUX* Grand Gaube

LUX* Grand Gaube
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Had a lovely time. We were there for our honeymoon and rite from the service to the food to the watersports, everything was perfect. A big thumbs up to the team. Lovely place thoroughly enjoyed. Strongly recommend and good value for money.

5  Thank Pritish D
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX* Grand Gaube, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Pritish D,
Greetings from LUX grand Gaube.
Thank you very much for your very nice review, we are all absolutely delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay at Luc Grand Gaube.
The entire team joins me in thanking you for having shared those moments with us. It will be my pride to personally thank the team for their great contribution in making your experience unforgettable.
It would be a great privilege to welcome you again at LUX Grand Gaube, and once again, thank you very much for your review.
Sincerely yours.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

We are a professional couple in our 30s who stayed in Feb 2014. This was our first visit to Mauritius. We stayed in a junior suite on an all-inclusive basis, and recommend both these options for this hotel, budget permitting.

Summary
Overall, we were very happy with this hotel. Based on our deal, it provided excellent value for money compared to other Mauritius hotels we reviewed at the time of booking. Yes, we would stay again.

Good points
- Staff willingness and friendliness
- Level of service (including evening turn-down, "soap" service (!), security sweeps)
- Main restaurant buffet usually of high quality (esp. the "curry night" - superb!)
- Additional restaurants of very high quality (both for lunch and dinner)
- Wifi free, strong reception throughout the resort (even on the beach!)
- Comfortable and abundant sun loungers; plentiful supply of towels
- No mosquitos due to a daily eradication of insects via smoke fumigation of flora - nice touch!
- Cinema night - another nice touch (although films were in French with English subtitles to cater for the main guest demographic here)

Now, for the sake of a balanced review, there were a few minor points that could be improved upon:

Slightly less good points
- Hotel as a whole (once you are beyond reception itself, which is amazing) is a little worn and tatty. The rooms have more of a "beach hut" feel to them with faded wooden decor, rather than the feel of a modern hotel room.
- Quality of buffet was on occasion not up to a 5 star standard (food was occasionally lukewarm with average presentation, as others reviewers have said); the "open-air" nature of the restaurant meant that birds were free to fly around the tables.
- Not quite enough seats in the other restaurants (fully booked for the next 4 nights when we arrived)
- Spa treatments are a little on the pricey side (Even by London standards!)
- Lots of speedos (French demographic again!)

Therefore, in our opinion, it does not quite reach the heady heights of 5-star status compared to other resorts we have been to (The fact that we had a stopover in a 5 star hotel in Dubai en route may have set our expectations artificially high, though).

Room for improvement
Having read some of the reviews rating this hotel as only "average", I can relate to some of the themes in which there is perhaps room for improvement.

For example, the hotel is old and does look a little tired. This can be seen both on the outside and within the rooms. (Perhaps an ideal opportunity to re-market as "rustic"?!). There was evidence while we were staying there that this was indeed being rectified with workers busily refurbishing rooms and re-painting the exterior. However, a fresh lick of paint for me did not quite do it ( - it made me think of UK roads and pot-holes - filling in such pot-holes improves things a little but in really the whole underlying road needs resurfacing.)

As many guests appear to have reported, we also had some problems with the air-con. Despite leaving it on maximum coolness setting overnight, the minimum room temperature achieved was still only 25 degrees Celsius! It did feel cooler, however, with the ceiling fan switched on. On the second day, the air-con stopped working altogether. Not to worry, hotel staff were very apologetic and immediately sent a maintenance man around who got it up and running within 30 mins. (Still didn't get it to cool the room below 25C though!).

Whilst these issues did not bother us particularly, they do seem to be echoed by a number of previous reviewers, and again most likely reflect the ageing nature of the hotel. However, the management and staff appeared to be trying very hard to rectify these issues.

Which Lux resort?
Incidentally, we hired a car during our stay and as well as "ticking-off" the main tourist sights, we also had a snoop around two of the other Lux resorts for comparison. We concluded that we were very happy we had chosen the Lux Grand Gaube.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite if your budget allows it! Go for all-inclusive!
2  Thank aej22

Dear Aej22,
Let me express my sincere gratitude for sharing your perception on your recent experience at LUX Grand Gaube.
Thank you for highlighting some of the special features and aspect of our brand LUX. Our concept has been inspired by our guests, and I am glad that you have appreciated some aspects of it.
We also do invest a lot of effort and time in training and education. Our vision, purpose and values are at the core of everything we do with a strong wish to touch our people in their soul and heart. I do personally take great pride in providing service as I believe it is a gateway for delight and satisfaction.
Thank you for all the valuables points you have mentioned. The perception of our guests is our reality, and we are grateful that you took out of your time to share it with us.
We have discussed your comments regarding the Kitchen restaurant with Olivier our Executive chef.
Rest assured that those will be taken seriously into consideration.
Price established at the SPA have been reviewed, and the new grid is already implemented. Your comment on that topic definitely confort us, thank you very much.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the situation you have been through with the Air conditioning in your room. I am glad to see that the team reacted promptly, with a good coordination, but distress to learn that the resolution was not up to your satisfaction. Rest assured that we will discuss and review this procedure with our maintenance Manager.
The entire team of LUX Grand Gaube Mauritius thanks you for your recommendation and sincerely hopes to have the opportunity to welcoming you back for a yet another experience.
Once again, thank you very much for your consideration.
Sincerely Yours.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

By coming to the hotel and entering your marvelous suite with spacious terrace and ever relaxing jacuzzi you starting to understand that IT IS EXACTLY the perfect SHELTER for you and your lover's souls to be rested! Soft sand, vast vegetation of the greenny garden, excellent sea view of the north coast and well developed service - ALL that bring You on the board of break and vacation boat full of delight, joy and endless care.
Lux* Team- Front Office Desk are always at your service, F&B team always suit your tastes, Boat House Team is making you to enjoy the sea at the maximum, Housekeeping team always care about cleanliness and order!! Big thank you- Thierry- for doing so much possibilities for US to enjoy the ocean from all the corners!!! I am pleased to share Thank You for organizing such holidays reposer!!! Me and my boyfriend really had memorable moments and service excellent experience. We will definitely come back more and more
THANK YOU very much to all of YOU!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Madle

Dear Madle,
Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am sure all the people you have mentioned have already read your words, but it will be my great privilege to thank them for their excellent attitude.
I am really delighted to see that so many of our team members have made the difference during you stay with us. It is very kind of you to have take out of your time to recommend a few of them. I will definitely pass on your congratulations to all the team.
You can count on me to congratulate Thierry, our boat house manager on your behalf. He is an exceptional person and talent, who passionately share his passion of the sea. I am so glad he made the difference.
It has been our pleasure to look after you throughout your holidays and we very much look forward to welcoming you again (again and again) in the near future.
Sincerely Yours.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Undoubtedly the best place I have been to. Amazing view from the room awesome buffet be breakfast of dinner with indian corner.your sure not to get bored here no matter what age group you belong to.I went in feb 2014 it was a little crowded but still was perfect.you will see very few indians here so thats good. Lot of evening entertainment also there and there is late evening movie under the stars, poker , local mauritian dance. Overall a fun place to be. Great thought mr.paul jones (owner).

1  Thank Ankush D
BriceLunot, Directeur général at LUX* Grand Gaube, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2014

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share such wonderful comments and allowing future guests choosing their holidays through your review.

I am indeed blessed with a fantastic team and I am glad that they made your stay extra special.

We also thank you for recommending the resort and look forward to welcoming you soon for another great experience at the LUX* Grand Gaube

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Beyond our expectation every thing was taken care of. Staff are very friendly and smily. Food, water activity, entertainment was excellent
WIFI was every where even on the beach
We will go anytime could not find any fault

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bharat P

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I was In Lux Grand Gaude for theThird Time and It s was such a nice Holiday.I was there with my boyfriend and this was the best holiday of my life.The food was excellent miam miam,i have eaten more than I can Imagine,Ben the F&B Manager has treat us like a royal couple :),thank youy very much for that.

Sorry for having taking so long to write the review,its now that I have time to write about it :).

The spa what a beauty amazing,you feel so relax and its like I dont know you are out of the world.

The restaurant team I love you so much,I fell in love with you all guys really what an excellent service more than I have expected.

The reception team so lovely,freindly yes this people have great potential.

The entertainment team wow wow wow I love you too guys,they make my boyfrind dance even if he dont like it after that he was completely at ease I can assure you that now he love to dance thanks to you guys.

Dear management team you have the best staff in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are amazing people I have tears in my eyes jsut thinking about the great moment we had with you guys.

Oh Ben thank you for helping my boyfriend organising this little surprise in the room.

Miss you all I will surely come back.Love Kelly

Room Tip: Room near the small pool
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 742kelly

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We went for our HM without any expectation about the place. But it turned out to be a memorable experience we could cherish forever. We are still living in that place such was the stay.no words to describe it. truely awesome. Highly recommended to stay here.

1  Thank N S

Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita

Been to LUX* Grand Gaube? Share your experiences!