LUX* Grand Gaube
  • Breakfast included
Zilwa Attitude(Calodyne)
$179
$145
Seaview Calodyne Lifestyle Resort(Calodyne)(Great Value!)
$106
  • Pool
Talipot Lodge(Grand Gaube)
Coral Apartments(Grand Gaube)
4,632 results
All reviewsabalonemain beachbeach restaurantour honeymoona la carte restaurantsjean phillipeoutdoor cinemamessage in a bottlecoffee barbanyan restaurantjunior suiteall inclusive packagethe banyan treewater sportsbanyan poolherb gardenisland kitchen
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our family spent the last two weeks of August at the Lux Grand Gaube in Mauritius. We chose this hotel based on the great travel reviews it received … and the fact that they could cater for our 11 year old Coeliac daughter on an all-inclusive basis.

Even though I can probably write 5 pages about this hotel on how stunningly beautiful this resort is, what a fantastic relaxing time we had, the great food, the brilliant entertainment for kids and adults alike, I would like to focus on one thing which absolutely made our holiday. The staff!!

The staff of this hotel is just absolutely amazing! I can’t stress it enough. All of them, the cheerful bubbly lifeguard building his towel pyramid at the pool every morning, Anushka the housekeeping lady who had the most amazing “towel sculpture” skills for the kids to admire every day , the friendly greeting gardeners raking the beach at 6.30am, the reception staff organising even the smallest requests. Georgia and Nitesh and the rest of the brilliant staff at the bar- serving you for hours on the beach or next to the pool, always super friendly. The great people at the boathouse – letting us have a go time and time again – even after we ruined one of their catamarans 

Most of all, I have to mention three people at the restaurant, Daniel, Sendren and Harry who have gone out of their way and over and above the call of duty ;-) to ensure that my Coeliac daughter feels very special with every meal. Between the three of them -and of course the chef whose name sadly I do not know – they organised fresh gluten free pancakes, waffles and bread every morning for breakfast. Even if dinner was a buffet at one of the restaurants, our daughter could choose what she would prefer to be prepared for her in the kitchen separately to ensure it is gluten free and not contaminated. Amazingly Daniel, Harry and the chef made her, every evening a very special dessert.

It did not matter which restaurant we chose to eat lunch at, a few gluten free rolls always turned up for our daughter. Sendren organised that she can have gluten free pancakes for tea with the other children next to the pool in the late afternoons. He also made sure that the kitchen kept oil separate to make her chips in, whenever she wanted it through the day.
I never thought a holiday could be such a breeze with a gluten free child – but like Nitesh in the bar said “Here at this hotel, everything is possible”. The day we had to say good bye it was like saying farewell to old friends. Our daughter had to swallow hard… That’s when you know they got it right...

Thank you to the great staff of Lux Grand Gaube in Mauritius. You made this holiday one to remember for many years to come.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Expl0ringFamily
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We just returned from our Honeymoon at Lux Grande Gaube and I can honestly say it was the best holiday we ever had!
The location is just stunning. The two beaches give you plenty of space to be alone or to meet people. It was the end of winter and we had only one day of rain but the rest of the weather was perfect for us.
There are plenty of activities to do in the resort both day and night. We especially enjoyed the snorkeling, kayaks, pedalos, yoga, spa, massages, cycling by day and by night the poker (two wins in a row!). I would also suggest doing some day trips as the Island has so much to offer, the southern part being particularly good. Also I would highly recommend Big Johns boat trip, it was a fantastic day and well catered for. Big Don does a great BBQ!
Our room was excellent with a fantastic view. It very clean and maintained to a very high standard.
The food is varied and delicious. There was not a meal I didnt enjoy. The place is amazing for selection of fish, fruits and vegetables. Missing it already. We were all inclusive which Im glad we did.
Now to what really makes this place truly special, the staff. From the moment we arrived we were met with the most hospitable and friendly staff who seemed to genuinely wanted to help us and make stay special.
There were so many that made such a great impression that we could not fault anyone. There were a few who stuck out for us in no particular order: .
Rudy at reception - Made our arrival so easy.
Sagren in the bar - So friendly from moment we arrived and always made time to speak to us.
Diren the restaurant manager - always helpful and keen to make our stay enjoyable.
Arvind at the bar - has done a great job in extending our rum experience! Even if you are not a big drinker the bar is relaxed and a pleasant place to chill.
Veer at the Banyan - Always recognised us and was very efficient. Happy to talk to us in quiet times.
Bundhoo our housekeeper - So keen to please and his flower artwork on the bed was amazing.
Ajay in the Kitchen - Top service even when it was getting very busy. Cool, calm and always smiling.
Bradley & Sebastian the poker (and volleyball and cinema screen) legends - Good enthusiastic pair who helped Lia get better at Poker!
There were so many others who we cant remember the name of (The Lux cafe barristas, the greeters at The Kitchen, the spa staff, the boat house and The Beach restaurant staff). In fact we could probably just say that every single one of the staff are just brilliant.
I cannot recommend this place enough and will most definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Go all inclusive
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AberdeenRich
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I have just got back from our honeymoon at the lux grand gaube and I have to say it was totally amazing.

The surrounding area around the hotel makes it a total surprise when you get to the end of the long driveway and are greeted by the most pleasant staff I've ever met.

From the water sports to the cinema on the beach everything was truly amazing.

Georgia in particular made our stay thoroughly enjoyable, always there with a smile whenever we were needing drinks or just by the pool.

The only thing I would say is that there are 4 a la carte restaurants and you have to book them immediately if you want to eat at the nicest places, they are always fully booked!

Overall a fantastic experience and we wish we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We visited Lux Grand Gaube for our delayed anniversary celeration.

Pros:-
1) One of the best services & hospitality I have ever seen.

Special thanks to Sandrine from Reception team as she offered immediate ala-carte restaurants booking on arrival as the email which I had sent one-week in advance was somehow not attended by the reservations team.

My wife being a pure vegetarian faced lack of choices on the first day of dinner at "The Kitchen". But, on mentioning the same, Rishi(the Chef) specially made vegetarian as well as Indian food everyday during our entire stay.

There was welcome cake, fruit basket and sparkling bottle of wine on arrival along with LUX T shirt.

2) The Ocean view rooms are a treat for eyes. And, the open bathroom/tub arrangement is nicely done.

3) There are almost 2 swimming pools, 2 lagoons, spa with 2 Jacuzzi, 5 restaurants/cafes to munch & drink which is a good enough choice for the stay.

4) The property offer lot of water sports of its own like snorkeling, glass bottom ride. They are fun.

5) We dinned mostly at "The Kitchen". They used to serve different cuisines everyday right from Mediterranean to Continental. There was always Indian menu as a complementary choice to those who wanna have it. The desserts were the real treat for me!

But, ambiance wise, "The Beach" has a beach front. So, it is highly recommended for dinner dates

6) We has opted for special romantic dinner package. It is super-awesome! You get to customize you own menu and a person is dedicated to serve you that food for the evening at a location of choice.

7) We used hotel cab to see beaches up North. The cab service and driver were quite polite and helpful.
8) During our stay, we had opportunity of star gazing by professional telescope, dance to the tunes of local music with Mauritian Sega dancers and even cocktail parties.

Cons:-
1) "The Beach" has very less vegetarian food. All you can eat is pizza/pasta with only one vegetarian entree and "Abalone" has almost none except pasta..

2) If you are on half-board package, the water here is way too costly which is quite the same all around Mauritius.

3) I needed couple of hours of extension if possible as the checkout time was 11 AM and my cab timing was 4 PM. One of the guys just said that it is not possible. Only when I asked again to another guy, he did extend it for couple of hours.

4) Internet speed is very slow.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean view rooms. They are awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you are considering a holiday to Mauritius you need look no further than the Lux Grande Gaube, I can only re-iterate the glowing reports already posted. Prior to booking I was unsure whether to go half board or All Inclusive and I can definately say don't hesitate book the All Inclusive option. You don't want to spend your holiday worrying about calculating each charge on the menu and whether to have an extra drink or not, book All Inclusive sit back and enjoy the amazing service you are given. The food is incredible, we especially liked The Beach restaurant. Yes, they do get booked up far in advance so the day you arrive make sure you book to eat at the restaurants, you really don't want to miss out.
The hotel produce a daily newsletter, grab a copy at breakfast and check out what's happening that day. Do try to go to the outdoor cinema at least once, it's something we just don't get in England and was a novel way to watch a film, curled up on a sofa under the stars with blankets and popcorn!
The watersports are fun and great that they're included, the icecream bar is genius and delicious (been dreaming of a coconut icecream since I returned)!
Several reviewers are saying about the resort being out on a limb, yes this is correct however we found an amazing company that will take you for tours of the island at incredible good rates. We did a full day tour of the north including Port Louis and a full day tour of the south which was breathtaking, both days cost 59 Euros for the driver and car for the day. The drivers were brilliant, very informative and spoke excellent English. You can adjust the tour to suit if there is something you particularly want to see and nothing is too much trouble. A big thankyou to Taximauritustours.com for a fab two days. The hotel does provide picnic baskets so request one before any days out, they are delicious.
There is so much I could say about our stay, tips and advice on what to do, where to go and things to look out for but rather than write a novel I will just add this final point. You may have read in previous reviews about the boat trip, please, please, please book this through the wonderful Reedo or Tom on the beach not through Big Jon. I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed the day, Tom is an absolute legend who is so interesting and knowledgable, it was a day to remember and I thank Tom whole heartedly for that (and the rum!). He provides a much more authentic day, yes it is slightly more expensive but you certainly get what you pay for.
As everyone says the staff are incredible but Reedo (with the straw hat) is a diamond, I wanted to bring him home! He takes care of your every need and ensures the holiday is as you would want - perfection. A special thank you to him, thanks also to all the staff from the housekeeping to the restaurant, beach waiters to reception - you were all amazing. It's worth noting that the beach hawkers are actually licenced and only work at the Lux, if you take the time to get into conversation (as we did with the guy selling stone dodo's) you realise they are not like the beach sellers in Turkey/Morocco etc, They have to pay a licence fee each year and are governed in an appropriate manner, do haggle though as they will drop the price!
I can't wait to return to this piece of paradise and suggest you book without hesitation!!

Room Tip: A first floor room means you can have your curtains open more!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple