“LUX Grand Gaube”
Review of LUX* Grand Gaube

LUX* Grand Gaube
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at LUX Grand Gaube in extreme Northern part of Mauritius ... enchanting and exotic resort , lovely people and amazingly helpful and great hospitality from every member of the Grand Resort. This resort delights at every turn ... impromptu cinema screenings to musical
performances , Spa , complimentary water sports like snorkelling , scuba diving , Glass Boat drive in mid sea watching glorious underwater Corals and sea animals , Paragliding , Kayaks , Cycling etcetc . Have lovely Restuarants too catering to all tastes and an added attraction was that they have an Indian Cook too who used to keep us delighted by serving at least one meal a day to our taste.

3  Thank arun62
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX* Grand Gaube, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Greeting from LUX* Grand Gaube,
thank you for having take of your time to post this comment on Trip Advisor. Your satisfaction is our greatest reward.
I am glad you have enjoyed your time in Mauritius and particularly the service provided by our passionate team, especially from the boat house and the restaurant.
Thank you as well for your nice comment on our Chef from India, Singh, it will be my great pleasure to congratulate him on your behalf. He has a real passion for cooking and sharing his knowledge within the team.
Thank you again for appreciating our services and features, I hope we will have the occasion to welcome you again.
Sincerely yours
Brice

Write a ReviewReviews (4,470)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have just returned from another amazing holiday at the Lux Grand Gaube - this was our fourth holiday here and it never fails to please. Everything about it is superb - the eye for detail from the staff, the care and attention they put into every aspect of your holiday, the genuine and friendly approach from the staff - all of them - and the excellent quality of every aspect of the provision - accommodation, location, activities, food, everything. It has had a relaunch as Lux* from Legends so we were a little apprehensive this time but they have kept everything we liked about it and added a few nice touches - such as a free phone box to call home, a new coffee station with a wonderful barista - as well as all the usuals - limitless and excellent water sports (my husband waterskied every day - and three or four turns per day not just one) - wonderful spa, sumptuous food, excellent choice of cocktails, great variety of food in the restaurants and good live entertainment each evening. You never get the feeling that the hotel is too full and the level of staff care and attention is faultless - with staff on the beach taking your order for drinks, cleaning your sunglasses and even bringing you cucumber slices for your eyes! The hotel is superbly managed by Mr Brice Lunot who takes a personal interest in each of his guests and spends time each day talking with them, making them feel special and asking their opinions. The boat house team are super and never tire of helping you learn to sail, windsurf or wakeboard and there is a wonderful range of outings and excursions they can offer you, including the light airplane ride from the beach to see the resort and island from the air - not to be missed. The rooms are spacious, very clean and well appointed. All in all, highly recommended in every way - we will certainly be going back again! Good idea to opt for the all inclusive - it is not that much more but you will certainly get your money's worth from it and you can stop worrying about what it is costing, just sign the magic bills that always say £0!

5  Thank 813Sue813
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX* Grand Gaube, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Greetings from LUX Grand Gaube,
Thank you very much for your review and your nice comments. Your feed back was particularly important for us as a loyal guest of the hotel, I am glad you have appreciated the changes and improvement.
I keep a very good memory of our conversation at the Café Lux counter, and it will be by pleasure to pass your regards and congratulations to the hotel Barista Satish.
Your others comments on the food, activities, SPA, beach team and the service is a fantastic reward for the team, thank you very much.
I have started to study the cricket rules and hope to be a specialist before your next visit!
It was a great pleasure for us to have the opportunity of welcoming you again at the hotel.
Sincerely Yours,
Brice

Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife, ten year old daughter and I just got back after a week's stay at the LUX Grand Gaube ! We truly enjoyed every minute of our stay at this beautiful hotel. Just about liked everything the hotel had to offer and there is a lot they do offer - be it the fantastic views, friendly staff, great food, numerous complimentary activities for the family and ofcourse the very nice rooms. There is just so much to do at the hotel provided you get tired of relaxing :)
Being vegetarians from India and a family that is picky and choosy about eating only Indian food, we had a little trouble with the buffet spreads for dinner. The moment we mentioned this to the staff, they prepared great Indian veg food and made it available every evening - such attention to ensure we were comfortable made us love the place that much more.
The only small suggestion to the hotel would be to label and distinguish the veg food ( with a green dot on the label, for eg ) from the non veg food in the buffet spread so that we dont have to constantly keep asking the waiters if a particular item has meat or not.
Also to note is that this hotel is at the northern most tip of the island and you need to be prepared for slightly long drives ( 1.5 hours ) through traffic to visit the tourist attractions that are mostly at the south of the island. But that's a small price to pay for the fantastic experience at the hotel ! We'd definitely go back to stay here the next time we are at Mauritius !

2  Thank Rajesh N
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a 16 hour delay at Gatwick airport, so arrived at the hotel at 5.30am feeling very tired. Even at this early hour the staff were wonderful. They sat us in comfortable armchairs and immediately offered us tea or coffee while they registered us in.
The room was very clean and the view from our balcony looking out over the beach was brilliant, it was everything you would imagine of a beautiful tropical island.

From the first to the last day of our holiday the staff were magnificent. We have been fortunate to be able to holiday all over the caribbean, the US and Mexico and we have never had such friendly, helpful service. We travelled with friends and the staff made us all feel very special.

This holiday was organised to celebrate my 70th birthday. My husband asked for a special dinner on my birthday and Lovena was given the job of helping him. My husband said she was lovely. She took him around and showed him different places for this dinner and he chose the Spirit Garden. It was totally magical. The staff had put up banners that my husband and friends had brought from England, they put up a very large balloon my husband had brought and there were lights in the trees and soft music playing. The table was set up with candles it looked like a wedding breakfast and my husband ordered lobster for the main course, which was the best lobster I have ever eaten. I will never ever forget that evening, it really was wonderful.

The entire holiday was great. The beach is beautiful, the grounds lovely, the food is excellent as were the drinks in the bar. The bar staff are amazing as is the bar Manager Sandren, they were always happy and would joke around with you, it was a pleasure to sit at the bar with them. Even the Manager Brice Linot, who was always walking around talking to guests, was friendly and helpful. He was aware of everything that was going on in the hotel and was very approachable.

Our friends and ourselves prefer a la carte restaurants and we were a little disappointed to find that the Karma restaurant was closed for the entire 2 weeks we were there, which meant using the Abalone and The Beach for lunch and dinner everyday and it would be good if the menu could be changed some of the time.

We had a wonderful holiday, in a wonderful hotel, with wonderful staff and I only hope we can go back there again in the not too distant future.

3  Thank aljo67
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Thank you Sandeep and Team for the beautiful and comfortable rooms (3006/8) overlooking the gorgeous white beach and turquoise sea. 'Coin De Mir', the little island over the horizon, stood in full view, as one stood in the shower each morning. What a view! The walk to the Car Park and the Restaurants across the beautifully landscaped garden with its fragranced exotic flowers and brightly coloured birds was a feast to the eyes and ears. The daily chorus of the birds in the Bunyan Tree, carried us into a mystical and almost angelic world. It sounds like all the birds on the island have decided to sing their hearts out. The sounds get louder as dusk sets in, and the entire area is engulfed in the music. SHEER BLISS! As a family we felt safe walking around the hotel grounds as it is well secured. Grand Gaube remains an authentic unexploited Mautitian Village with its basic ameneties
Thank you Ved, Jayshree and team for making our rooms comfortable and pleasant throughout our stay . We were touched by your generosity and your brilliant white smiles. Each evening we looked forward to come in to a flowery room with fresh pretty petals and flowers carefully decorating the bed and the bathroom. Rest assured that such care and attention was greatly appreciated. It made us feel special.
Thank you Diren and Team for the indefatigable service you gave all four of us, but above all, thank you for the consideration and gallantry you gave Liette, it made a difference to her holiday. The ‘Salted Fish in red sauce’ was yummy and nostalgic. The delicious Mauritian Cuisine tickled our taste buds and those of our Visitors. Thank you Chef Navin and Team – the sweet Gateau Napolitaine did sweeten our mouths.
Annabelle, Elsa and Joanna we miss your beautiful smiles, but we hope to see you soon.
Finally thank you Brice, we had a wonderful and unforgettable experience at Lux, Grand Gaube, and we hope to return soon. Keep smiling!

4  Thank Christian F
Reviewed October 22, 2012

we were looking for the perfect place to cellebrate my husbands 40th birthday,it is not often that you find the perfect hotel in the perfect location,the staff were outstanding,there is someone to see to your every need,from having your childred looked after to being pampered in the spa,having your eggs cooked just the way you like them,sipping an exotic cocktail,a coffee barister who knows you love your flat white in the mornings,you are waited on hand and foot.the food is superb,there is a wide choice of many different cuisines to try.the hotel, the staff,the location truly exceeded our expectations. when it was time to go,saying good buy to the staff was like saying goodbuy to familyI cant wait to go back next year to cellebrate my 40th

1  Thank tony j
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited the hotel for two weeks in July/ August 2012 with our three children (15,14,9) and had the best family holiday ever ! This was a proper 5 star experience. We had the Infinity All Inclusive package and stayed in 2 ajoining superior rooms (the most basic I think). The all inclusive was just as it said and you could have stayed for 2 weeks without spending anything extra. I drank Bellinis and G&T for 2 weeks. Our minibar was restocked daily. We had asked BA to check with the boathouse to ensure that our boys could use the gym and also take advantage of the free water sports as this was supposed to be 16+ but neither was any problem. We waterski-ed most days, and also went on the tubes (small charge) kayaks, glass bottom boat and snorkelling. The staff were all absolutely amazing with nothing too much trouble. The gym staff (Christine and her husband) let my daughter do gymnastics in the gym when it was quiet. We also borrowed bikes a couple of days and headed off site. We never experienced a member of staff who did not try and make our stay at the hotel as great as it could be ! Redoo organised a romantic dinner on the beach for my husband & I and he took great pride in raking the beach every morning. Our rooms were literally 10 meters from the beach so we just opened our patio doors every morning to the kind of view you see in an advert for paradise ! The food in all the resturants was excellent and although some of the dishes at "The Beach Resturant" were extra there was enough choice even over 2 weeks that we never had to choose one of these. I agree that you should book ahead in the morning for the a la carte resturants. The breakfast buffet had a wide range of fantastic choices with omelettes etc cooked for you while you wait. My daughter is a fussy eater but still managed to eat at every meal and the staff were happy to make a few adaptations. The entertainment staff were brilliant and the boys enjoyed Maurius v Rest of the World beach vollyball or water polo most afternoons. There was entertainment at night which for us was just the right balance of not being too "in your face". There is a kids club which runs from 9am to 10pm at night though we only used this one afternoon. Probably the reason that this was such as successful holiday was that everyone could have their own space and do their own thing but the resort was small enough that we were never far away from each other. The kids loved the freedom of being able to wander freely on the resort and not have to ask for money. I loved never having to put my hand in my pocket. My son and I are qualified divers so went on a dive trip from the boathouse. I hadn't dived for years but they really looked after us well and I thought the cost was reasonable. The kids loved the internet area which had 3 Apple Macs which never seemed busy. The family and I also lost the keys to our room daily but reception were very helpful in replacing them with no hassle. Our holiday was during their winter with the temperatures low 70's most days. We had a couple of days of rain but just stayed in and watched the olympics and played the board games provided (good clean family fun). The boys watched a movie on the beach one night in big leather sofas. I also loved the coffee bar with coffee that is roasted at one of the sister hotels elsewhere on the island. We also used the spa (two treatments included as part of our package) and I was also given another free treatment at the amazing cocktail night on the beach. My oldest had a golf lesson (a prize for finding the hidden bottle) which was interrupted by a helicopter landing on the driving range.

The only one thing I can think of that I would change was that the laundry was really expensive (1.50 for a pair of socks!) so we didnt use it but thats not much of a disaster !

We are saving our airmiles to go back.

Room Tip: As for one of the rooms that faces on to the main beach.