“The best holiday of my life - the staff really made it a special stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa

and 1 more site!
Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Sydney, Australia
“The best holiday of my life - the staff really made it a special stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

I can honestly say that I have never been more relaxed in my life than when I stayed at Veranda Paul et Virginie. It is a quiet hotel, best suited for couples and honeymooners, but was also perfect for the two weeks I spent there with my parents.
Situated in the small fishing village of Grand Gaube, it was far enough away from the business of the towns for me to completely switch off and forget all about life at home.
All the staff were incredibly welcoming from the moment I arrived until the moment I left.
The rooms were a good size and were comfortable and clean but could probably do with some revamping in the future if the hotel is going to rate higher than 3 stars. But honestly, how much time are you going to spend in your room when it's 28 degrees and beautiful sunshine outside?!
The staff, however, were a different matter. They provided incredible service at all times and were lovely people - definitely the hotel's greatest asset.
The food was always good and plentiful, although I preferred the buffet nights to the a la carte because it was good to be able to choose exactly what you wanted when you wanted it.
The wait during mealtimes was sometimes a bit longer than I would have hoped but the staff were obviously rushed off their feet so it was never a case of them wasting time - perhaps the hotel needs to increase staffing numbers in the restaurant a bit, especially during busy times.
The evening entertainment was varied and featured some really good groups who demonstrated traditional Mauritian sega dancing, as well as African and Indian dancing. Other nights featured either bands, quizzes or a DJ.
The staff in the St Geran bar were very friendly and always served us promptly. They also made some wonderful cocktails that I would definitely recommend!
Both the pools were always very clean and the beach was lovely. There was even a boathouse where you could go sailing, kayaking, pedal-boating or take a trip out to the reef in a glass-bottomed boat free of charge.
The spa was also fantastic and I enjoyed several massages there during my stay. They also offered beauty treatments, henna tattoos and manicures/pedicures. The only downside to the spa was that the prices were about the same as back home in Australia, although they were still worth every cent.
Overall, there is very little that could have made my two-week stay any better than it was. I cannot recommend Mauritius or Veranda Paul et Virginie enough - now I just have to get used to being back at home and cooking and cleaning for myself!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank IndiaJolly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Paul et Virginie in May 2010 for 10 nights on half board. We were on our 20th wedding aniversary. We had an excellant well arranged transfer from the Airport to the hotel to be greeted with a drink and complimentary head & neck masage.

We did have our photos taken on arrival "BUT" all the staff knew our name. The room was large and very clean, we had up graded and had a bath and shower with clean towels and shower gels on tap. There was a telly in the room for music info and the news from time to time.

Our room was very quite, although near a road we could not hear any traffic. The view from the balcony was amazing. All the rooms looked out onto the pool and beach

The pool was very clean and quiet with well appointed seating to relax and sip several cocktails. The beach area was smal but sandy with good seating and good sailing facillities. Sea Kayacks, windsurfers and pedellos looked after by helpfull staff.

There are plenty of taxis outside the hotel but take the bus. The experiance is fantastic and you see so much more.

The food in the hotel was good to very good. The staff were very relaxed and likable. its not a place to rush, dinner should take all night. The fish on the menu was delicious. Breakfast was a buffet and most tastes were catered for. You have to remember where you are and everything is grown on a small island. Fresh fruit, Croissants and coffee for 10 days works for me.

Some of the wine with dinner was expensive but again it's quite away from France. The local beers were very good and the rhum cocktails had a relaxing effect.

The hotel staff were all very helpfull and our room was looked after very well by room service. Our whitesands tour rep organised some fantastic excursions around the island. I must recomend the Sailing with dolphins.

The hotel could do with a wifi connection in the room to stay in touch. (First time without the kids) and this is not rearly a hotel for famillies.

All in all this was a very romantic quiet hotel, to find who we were again and just spend time together. The staff looked after us very well and we would love to go back again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mattjeans
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed here for 2 weeks all inclusive for our honeymoon at the beginning of September.

On arrival we were given drinks and cool towels which was needed after a 12 hour direct flight! They checked our details and the usual check in admin bits and we were treated to a very relaxing shoulder massage by two of the spa team. We were then shown to our room and our luggage was bought up to us.

The rooms are very comfortable and we had a fantastic view of the sea and the pool. We had a balcony, king sized bed, little sofa, and also a ;dressing room' with the shower etc in. We stayed in a basic room so thought that we had an excellent quality of room for their standard. They were always kept clean and tidy to a high standard.

Tea, coffee and selected items in the mini bar were free.

We found the food excellent, the lunch menu was good and for dinner it was either an a la carte 4 course meal or a buffet. Both were excellent in quality. The buffet was not one of these cheap shovel your face with a million different type of foods that don't go together jobs, they were themed, so Mauritian night, Indian night etc and there were probably about 5 different dishes for each starter, main etc. On the A la carte nights we had a 4 course meal every time. The people that have said that the food was not very nice or that they were still hungry after a meal, well, I really cannot see how!

Wine is not included as part of the all inclusive, but there were plenty of cocktails to keep us happy, and the local beer, which is actually really nice!

The service was slow occasionally, they had a promotion for the first weekend that we were there where they had guests staying for a couple of days for some reason, and it did seem that these people took priority for the weekend and the service did become slow, but the service staff kept apologising to us and explained that there was something going on. Once the promotion people left, the service was good again. I would say that people who expect a really quick service won't be happy, but then the Mauritian way of life is far more relaxed and they want you to enjoy your food and let it go down before you get to the next course. We hired a car and went out and about for a few days, and the service is the same all over the island!

We also ate at the sea front restaurant on quite a few occasions, where you can eat selected meals on an all inclusive basis, and you can also chose something different for a small suppliment - around Rs100 per course. The food here was even more delicious than in the normal restaurant!

We found the pools and the beach to be lovely, we could always get a sun lounger and a parasol. The beach is small, but this suited us and we enjoyed swimming in the sea there, kayaking and taking the pedalos out. The staff at the boat house were excellent, always willing to help, and Aldo is brilliant, he took us out to the reef with him on his daily check and we could snorkel on the reef. (Hotels are responsible for checking the reefs daily by their beaches so they go out in their boat once a day to snorkel and check the area has not been damaged by fishermen) Aldo also took us out to water ski, he is the most patient instructor ever!

I would say that there is not a huge amount of day time entertainment, they do boules and exercise classes once a day, but then this is a spa hotel, aimed at being relaxing. They put on a little cycle tour a couple of times a week where they will take you to the local town of Goodlands, by bike, to see the market and the maritime museum, this was quite fun, and the cycle is suitable for even the most unfit of people!

Another thing that I was quite pleased with, is the hotels attitude to mosquitoes! Being someone that normally gets eaten alive by them, I was quite impressed that not only did we have mosquito net curtains on the balcony doors, but they also 'fog' the grounds once a week, and in the evening, they do a turndown service where they will straighten up the rooms, and plug in and supply the mosquito repellent balls.

The spa was excellent, if not a little pricey! We had a romantic couples massage with came to just under £100 once we used our 25% off voucher, but it was extremely relaxing and took about an hour. Bliss!

All in all, I would say that this was an excellent hotel, extremely relaxing and a reasonably good service. I would recommend this hotel to people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TheNewMrsB
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

We spent 2 nights at the hotel on a special local promotion, for the price of half board you get all inclusive. This is actually incorrect, as guests under this promotion are given a different menu for food and beverages, which was restricted - Only beer and 1 cocktail are the alcoholic beverages that are inc in the package.

On arrival we were efficiently checked in with no problems. We stayed in a standard room. The room was clean and had a lovely view of the sea. However I'm not sure if it was due to the special promotion, but the room did not provide common items such as shampoo, lotion, bath robes etc. We also found it strange that the tea and coffee supplied in the room were chargeable!

Food: There are 2 restaurants in the hotel, we only ate in the main restaurant. The restaurant is small and poorly lit, On our first night, the dinner menu was a la carte. The food was nice and was presented to a good standard. However we still left the restaurant still hungry. The 2nd night we had an Indian buffet for dinner, which was much better - good choice of dessert.

Sadly we found the service in the restaurant to be poor and slow. Once shown to your table, the staff seem to forget about you and you're left there waiting. At lunch on my last day, I was left waiting for over 10 mins for butter and over 25 mins waiting for my food.

Generally we found the hotel to be dead quiet. During the day the hotel is so quiet It felt like an old abandoned hotel, there was very little movement and minimal activities for guests. The pools are quite small and very shallow, the beach too is very small and is not really ideal for swimming.

GOOD POINTS: I received a discount on a massage as part of my package and chose to have a balance massage which lasted a good hour. The massage was just what I needed after having such a poor experience during lunch. The staff are pleasant and helpful.

In conclusion I would not return to this hotel and would only recommend this hotel to those who would like a quiet and peaceful but in my opinion "boring" break.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

We found the location quiet and relaxing yet not far from Grande Baie, the hotel is in a great spot with views of the sea or pool and very friendly staff. The restuarant was good with options for seafood and also a la carte and sometimes buffet options. I would recomend All inclusive it worked well for us with all local drinks included, and most food options.

Highlight for us was the boat trip to a nearby island with entertainment and barbecue, on "Follow me", Sailesh and his father Captain Dev were great and for a day trip the whole family enjoyed the music the snorkelling and the food. Can be found at the hotel boat house. A must do trip.

Other water sports were mainly free and good although as it was winter the weather was not always perfect for this activity.

Overall enjoyed the stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank FinsFamily
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

This hotel is located in the north of Mauritius. The location makes it the very peaceful and elegant. The hotel provides you with exceptional service and the staff are very caring and understanding. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. The gardens and the pool are maintained very well.The hotel also has some activities planned, so you can make best use of it. The food is good too. So head to 'Veranda' for a peaceful and romantic holiday. It is VALUE FOR MONEY.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank CharuVasan
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with my husband. The room was big, clean with a big balcony and it was faced to the ocean. I can recommend to anyone this hotel.
We were stayed half board.
I would like to say a big thank you for Paulo.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Le Morne
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,275 reviews

Been to Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!