“Not sure.....”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Not sure.....”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Our third visit to this beautiful island, but our first to this hotel. The title expresses our overall view of this very pretty and well kept hotel, inasmuch as whilst the many recent contributors to this site have given it 5 stars, I really am afraid we have to rate it as a 3 star experience. Let me explain....

Arrival:

We arrived at about 8.00am after a 13 hour flight and a 90 minute drive to be greeted very sweetly by Ursha, one of the several “front of house” customer relations team. We were given welcome cold face cloths, but not the cold drink we were expecting. We did get a cup of tea we had to ask for though, after we had been told our room would not be ready for other 6 or so hours! We were also told that we could have a shower in one of their customer amenity rooms when it came available. After two hours of sitting, waiting, and a few pleasantries with Ursha, trying to urge some progress, we eventually were able to have a shower, once we had located our cases, which had been put in a safe area behind Reception. We then had some lunch, and finally were shown to our room, without any “guided tour” which all the other guests seemed to get as a formality. My reason for noting all this palaver is that we were not kept very well informed about what was going on, and felt as if we were not really being made very welcome.

Our room:

Once we got to our room, we were not particularly impressed with it. It was a bit of a box in many ways, with one small draw above the fridge unit, a small hanging wardrobe complete with safe, and a few open shelves – completely useless really for the mountain of clothes we had brought!! So - we lived out of our suit-cases! The room was kept very clean during our stay – full marks! However, the noise adjacent to block 6 that we were in was quite bad during our stay. The hotel cannot really be blamed for this though. The public beach next to the block was frequented by many noisy local youths all day long, every day and night, with beating drums (nice we thought when we first heard them) well into the late hours, and a couple of local dogs barking constantly, every night, starting about 1am and going on until 4am – as if turned on by a switch. We had constant hot water for the two weeks, except for just two occasions which were in the late afternoon when everybody was using the shower – understandable. The mini bar was not particularly well stocked – just a few bottles of the local beer, a couple of small fruit drinks, 2 bottles of water, a Mars bar and a tube of throat sweets? Strange !

Beach and Pools:

We didn’t use the beach but settled down most days by the side of one of the pools. There were plenty of sun beds available, but not as many sun umbrellas. Consequently our European friends tended to be up to their old towel tricks, even though there were notices around telling them not to! The pools were 1.3m and 0.9m deep – not conducive to proper swimming – just a paddle really when you are 6’3” tall like me. The sun beds on the beach were regimented in one long line at the back of the very small beach and VERY close together. It would have been difficult to keep in the shade under the umbrellas here because of the lack of space.

Restaurants:

We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurant every day, except for one time towards the end of the holiday when we tried out the a la carte restaurant. The food in the main restaurant was boring. That is a kind way of saying it was not particularly interesting, enticing or palatable, and as others have mentioned, very repetitive. My wife is not a lover of hot, spicy food, and whilst I appreciate we were in a Mauritian hotel, there could perhaps have been a better selection of international cuisine, as every day the evening meals and lunch were for the best part highly spiced and seasoned with a variety of chillies. The ladies behind the food counters did try to help out by explaining which foods were hot, hotter and hottest to my wife, but it really was a case where the selection became quite limited. Personally, I enjoyed quite a few excellent curries, but that is MY taste. Breakfasts were good – a fair selection of fried food, fruit, meats and so on, with eggs as you liked them. As for the a la carte restaurant, we had to select from the menu two nights before with one of the several ”head waiters” in the main restaurant. This seemed a bit strange at the time, but I think I might know why. We were told that the fish food on Tuesdays and Thursdays was freshly caught. Not so! I had the beef-steak for my main, cooked as I like it, but certainly not fillet as described, but more like rump. My wife had the sea-food platter as a main. It was superbly presented, with a half lobster, skewered prawns, mussels, etc., and looked extremely appetising. However, she had to leave most of the lobster meat for a start, as it was so tough and wouldn’t come easily out of its casing. The prawns, too, were tough, and a couple of the mussels had to be left. The accompanying side dish of tagliatelle was also inedible, being likened to a plate of rubber bands. We suspected that the “fresh” sea-food was, in fact, frozen, and when we complained to the chef, he admitted it was. My wife was offered another meal gratis the following night, cooked to her liking, but we declined as it was our last night, and we would be spending it with friends elsewhere. We were not offered any reduction, and coughed up the equivalent of £57 sterling for the sea-food platter in addition to the cost of my meal , starters and sweets. We learn by our mistakes!

Entertainment:

This I would class as “low key” – fine for us, and run mainly by the 2 “Animation” guys, Danny and Dupont. Dupont in particular worked extremely hard, and seemed to know everybody after the first one or two days. He was most likeable and was a fountain of knowledge as well – a great asset to the hotel! There were the usual pedalos, snorkelling etc., available, but we were just lazy and enjoyed the relaxation by the pool and in and around the very well kept gardens.
So to sum up – we couldn’t quite make up our minds about this hotel. Some things about it were great, but many weren’t. We enjoyed our holiday, and would never let any of the “poor” points mentioned spoil it for us. This critique is made with thanks to all those of the staff who really made the holiday good for us, in particular the bar staff who were so friendly and helpful. I am sorry that I cannot rate the hotel higher.

Room Tip: "Comfort Rooms" are not very well equipped for storage. I think all rooms have a sea view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and myself are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, despite the many inconveniences that you mentioned. We will work on the few issues that you mentioned and we look forward to your next visit.

Veranda Paul et Virginie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sandiacre, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed in room 224 from 11th to 25th November, 2013.

My wife and I have just returned from the most fantastic holiday of a lifetime and there are just so many great things to say about Veranda Paul & Virginie – it’s been amazing!

As with other reviewers here, we have been stunned by how nice, happy and respectful all of the staff are and absolutely nothing is too much trouble, from the top to the bottom.

The Food & Beverage Manager Rakesh and his team, Avinash, Sanjiv, Hamed, Man, Nitesh, Ashvin, Baccan, Awmee, Joe, Doorgesh, Alvinio, Billy, Kervan, Alfonso and Emily, plus many more.

The Kitchen Chef, Suraj and his team.

Entertainments - Dany & Dupont.

At the beach - Julien, Aldo & Lindy.

Our Room boys - Kiran & Ritesh.

Front of House – Usha, Matthew & Francesca.

Porters, Maintenance, Gardeners, Security, Shop and Spa staff.

I feel guilty for naming all of those that we have become so grateful to for making our holiday so special, when there are so, so many more who have contributed behind the scenes who we did not met. The company (Veranda) and it’s Hotel Manager Kaviraj, have an exceptionally wonderful group of people working at Paul & Virginie, the likes of which we have never encountered anywhere else on our travels.

Despite comments in other reviews, we found there to be a wide choice of food suitable for all tastes.

For men, dress code in the restaurants after 7pm is long trousers; this is not just about maintaining standards (which I totally agree with), but it also helps to reduce the risk of insect bites.

Our room was bright and spacious with air conditioning; it was cleaned and made tidy every day, with clean towels also available daily. There is a safe for valuables and there seemed ample hot water for showers, etc.

The Wi-fi had good signal and despite being told that you could not pick up the connection in the hotel rooms, we always managed to get a signal. The computer in the communal lounge is a little old, but is adequate for keeping in touch – it could just do with a little TLC and maintenance I think.

The grounds are kept impeccably and the resort facilities are well-maintained. The beach is small (fine for the amount of guests), private and clean and there was a wide range of free water sports available.

We also had a ‘full-works’ body massage at the Spa which was great and they do like to offer you the opportunity to purchase some of their products!

This hotel is not for party-revellers; it’s a small boutique haven where you can unwind and enjoy quality, private time with your partner. We also met a wide variety of other couples from England, France and Germany, some of whom we have exchanged contact details to keep in touch.

We didn’t go on any excursions, but that’s because we just wanted to relax and we know that we can do all of that next time.

It seems very unfortunate that some other visitors have had some small issues during their stay here, because if you are considering the Indian Ocean as a destination, I cannot believe that you will find anywhere better than Veranda Paul & Virginie on Mauritius.

Thank you so, so much guys. We will definitely be back to see you all!!!

Room Tip: Great views of the sea on the 2nd floor, also helps to keep the mosquitos away!
2 Thank Jim C
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions in this in-depth review with the Trip Advisor community. Your review has provided us with a strong feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment . We are moreover very pleased to see that you remember so many names of our staff. We have passed your compliments to the team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

"Cloud 8" is no error, it just didn't quite reach cloud 9.
Me and my Husband have just returned from our 10 day honeymoon and it was amazing.
Mauritius is a wonderful country, the most beautiful sea in the world. However Veranda Paul and Virginie just didn't quite meet standards at times. I understand it's a 3 star and at times it out shone that and appeared to be higher. The grounds were immaculate, the beach was small but clean and was fine for the amount of guests, it had lots of free water sports which was a nice touch. The food was delicious!! Slightly repetitive at times, but we were definitely satisfied.
There was a problem with our room so we had to be down graded, at first they offered us a meal (in the restaurant not included in all inclusive, a must though!!) and a bottle of wine. After discussion with others it turned out pretty much everyone celebrating received a bottle of champagne anyway and therefore was no compensations! so after a bit more discussion they gave us a taxi for the day and that was wonderful!!
Room was basic, but always clean and tidy.
So why the negative comment? Well it was small things, the staff, although some were amazing, polite, pleasant and funny, making a real effort, some were not. At times it felt that they were dismissive and quite rude and appeared to favour some guests over others. The all inclusive was fine, but I thought it was a little poor that you were not able to get any drinks outside the hours 11-11, including water which meant I nearly passed out on an excursion from dehydration! Also, some drinks are different in the beach bar to the main bar, so when I asked for a specific cocktail I got a quite negative reaction at times. Also, our mini bar fridge got locked before we has even checked out, which I thought was a little poor as that room was still ours and therefore had still paid for what was in the fridge!
So would I recommend this holiday to others? Mauritius a definite yes! It is an amazing island with loads to offer. Paul and Virginie? Most probably, with a little tweaking this resort could be perfect and so idyllic, it's a shame a few small things can change that.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

We would like to apologise if you were sometimes inconvenienced at the resort. However, we are confused on why you seem to blame the hotel on how you almost passed out because of dehydration, when you clearly state that you were out of the hotel on excursion. We are further confused by this comment since Water, tea, coffee and fresh juices are available at breakfast from 7am to10am. We would moreover like to highlight that the drinks might not be included in the all-inclusive package outside of the hours of 11am-11pm, but the bar is open from very early in the morning to cater to your needs and after 11pm, there is a mini-bar available in the room for that matter.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just got back from a 10 night stay at Veranda Paul & Virginie for our honeymoon. We couldn't have asked for a more peaceful and relaxing hotel than this. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us during our stay. we would definitely recommend this hotel. Our room was spacious and cleaned daily and fresh towels were provided everyday as well as the mini bar being restocked. There was plenty to choose from food wise with lots of local dishes to try.The pool and garden areas were very well kept. The spa is well worth a visit and we can recommend the treatments available especially the massages. Thanks to all the staff at Veranda Paul & Virginie for a lovely stay and making our honeymoon so special. Mr & Mrs Fishwick!

Room Tip: block 3, 2nd or 3rd floor over look the beach and sea
1 Thank gag857
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We have passed your compliments to the team and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 1 year wedding anniversary at the resort with our best friends, we have all travelled to MRU before, so were fimiliar with a lot of the all inclusive packages, this was our first time at Veranda though and we werent dissapointed.

As the flights out of SA are at disgusting times if you fly air Mauritius, we only arrived after 22:00, but were still greeted with a warm welcome, cool refreshing towels and the resort has oil difusers everywhere so the smell is so amazing wherever you walk, great touch.

The staff are all helpful, friendly and very attentive, I must compliment Hamed, Pritima and Ashwin and Oimee in the bar they were our particular favourites and they made our stay even more special, thanks guys and well done!!

Our room was spacious, very clean and sea facing although i think they all are, nice balcony and awesome showers, a few more english channels/movie channels would be good, mini bar which gets replenished daily.

The gardens are perfectly manicured and gorgeous, the resort facilities are great and well maintained and they had live entertainment every evening we were there.

The all inclusive option is the only way to enjoy MRU, i dont have any complaints, my beers were always ice cold and we ended up making our own cocktail called a "saffa" so ask them its awesome and the rum really gets the party started, the lunch a la carte options was limited and the general food options do become some what repetitive but the quality was always good. We treated ourselves to a night in the Gazebo for our actual 1st year anniversary which was epic, we had the seafood platter which is expensive but worth it, private service our own music, just perfect really!

This resort is not a party resort, its an honest well run Mauritian retreat where you can unwind and enjoy your partner, the beach is private calm and clean and the private trip we did to swim with dolphins was out of this world a definate, Ile au Cerf is good but this tops everything ive done in my life, swimming in a pod of 100 spinner dolphins will change you plus you get lunch on a private island and a speed boat ride, truely amazing.

Would i return? hell yes anytime, thanks guys for an amazing holiday!!!!!!!!!

Jeff and Sam Lopes xx

Room Tip: 2nd floor - great sea veiw all rooms are sea facing so im pretty sure they are all great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PiccoloManagement
Dear guests,

Congratulations again on your wedding anniversary. It was a pleasure to have you and your friends at our resort and we thank you for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We have passed your compliments to the team and to Hamed, Preteem, Ahswin and Oimee in particular and they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable.

Caldicot, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed with another couple at the hotel for 14 nights between 23rd Oct-6th Nov & all I can say is we had a fantastic holiday. The hotel is in a lovely setting overlooking the sea. Our room was very clean & spacious. All rooms have a sea view which is beautiful.

The beach is quite small but has plenty of sunbeds, there is also plenty of sunbeds around the pool which never seemed to get busy.

We stayed on AI which I would recommend. The food was fantastic from breakfast through to evening meal & there was always something different to chose from. I didn't feel like the food was repetitive as some previous reviews have said.

The staff in the hotel were extremely friendly especially the bar & restaurant staff. Our thanks goes out to the waiters Nitesh, Alvinio, Joey & Billy from the main Restaurant & also the 2 Bar/Restaurant Managers as they were extremely friendly, polite & made us laugh every day & they did not stop smiling, they made our holiday a rememberable one. I would also like to mention Awbee from behind the bar as he was also friendly everyday.

The only downside to the Hotel is that they have a fantastic Bar/ Restaurant on the beach which can't be used as part of the AI apart from drinks between 11am-3pm. I think this restaurant should be open for lunch & evening meal for customers on a AI basis & then have a separate menu for A La Carte.

We booked 3 Trips through Sun Tropical Tours which is a small tour shop about 200 yards around the corner from the hotel. I would highly recommend booking with these as they are far cheaper than booking through your Rep. We asked for our Trips to be private, just the 4 of us & they accommodated this which was fab. We firstly went to Casela to do the Lion Encounter, we then did a Speedboat Trip to Ile Aux Cerfs & finally we did a private speedboat Trip to swim with Dolphins in the wild & then had a BBQ on the beach. I would highly recommend all of these Trips as they were all fantastic.

I would highly recommend this Hotel as it is not too big & you get treated with a personal service.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rebecca B
VLH-Maurice, Manager at Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you immensely for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We have passed your compliments to the team and to Alvinio, Joey, Billy and Nitesh in particular they were happy to hear that they contributed in making your stay enjoyable. We have taken your comment regarding the beach restaurant Le Saint-Geran into consideration and we will work on an outcome which will hopefully please our guests.

Sunny Regards

Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is excellent for so many reasons, including:
- location and views of the Indian Ocean (see photo)
- comfort and facilities of excellent bedroom (recommend the superior)
- friendliness of staff, despite the long hours they have to work
- quality and choice of food and lack of repetition
- cleanliness of pool, though a bit shallow!
- beautiful and well-kept gardens
- variety of entertainment, though occasional disco a bit noisy and aimed at the young'uns!
A few gripes:
- lack of hot water in the early evening
- bath towels smaller than beach towels!
- all inclusive guests having to pay extra to dine at beach restaurant, which was hardly used (but worth a visit - the meal was superb)
- beach bar not open till 11 and only till 3 - guests would like to enjoy a 'sundowner' there
- when hotel not full, lunchtime buffet replaced by 'A la carte' menu with rather too many heavy meal choices
- having to sign for every drink at zero cost!

Room Tip: Room 227 (Superior) - great view of pool, gardens and sea. Close to hotel centre but far enough away...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PapaBun
Dear Member of Trip Advisor,

Thank you again for choosing Veranda Paul et Virginie. The team and myself are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us, despite the few inconveniences that you mentioned and we thank you for sharing your impressions with the Trip Advisor community. We will work on the few issues that you mentioned and we look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Gaube
#2 of 8 in Trou d'eau Douce
Veranda Pointe aux Biches Hotel
Veranda Pointe aux Biches Hotel
#3 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Veranda Paul & Virginie Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!