“Very impressed”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Grand Baie
Durham, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed here just last week and really had an excellent holiday, I didn't really know what to expect as I am not used to package holidays usually preferring to do my own thing. On arrival at the hotel to be greeted with a cold drink was very welcome as it was a tad warm. We arrived around midday but were shown to our room straightaway, we thought we had booked a standard room but were shown to a superior which was lovely, very spacious with an enormous bed, double sinks and a bath and shower and a nice little terrace looking out to the beach, we originally asked for a twin room but they don't have any, it didn't matter, the bed was so big you didn't feel like you were sharing! There was a stocked minibar in the room which they replenish everyday for free and tea and coffee making facilities and a safe.
The main restaurant is buffet style serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, there is a massive selection of food with the fish especially good, it was fine for a week but I think after that it might seem a little repetitive. We ate in the a la carte twice which was good, once for lunch and again on the evening of the wedding we attended whilst we were there, the hotel really pushed the boat out for the wedding, all aspects of the day were wonderful. We also ate at Le Cannonier, the sister hotel further around the bay which was also extremely good. If you got hungry between meals there were sandwiches in the bar in the morning and pancakes for a couple of hours in the afternoon.
We spent most of our time being lazy but did make use of the free pedalos one afternoon which were fun, there were other water sports you could try and plenty of trips available which we probably would have tried if we had been there longer.
The bar was nice and the cocktails both alcoholic and non alcoholic were good as was the beer, I like my wine and for me the house wine wasn't up to much with other alternatives expensive (£30 a bottle) but that is my only criticism. We went to the nightclub one night which was interesting, you have to pay for drinks in there.
Overall I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The superior room is good value as I don't think it costs much more and is more spacious.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mim74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

I went with some friends a year or so ago and it was great fun. Took a catamaran trip to Turtle Beach and really enjoyed it.

Would like to say do not leave your balcony door open at night unless you want little pests!

Property is clean, well maintained as is the pool. Its a lovely place to stay. Has a nightclub open every other night which is not in all inclusive so please be aware. Food is lovely and entertainment is really nice by the pool in the evening :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Arrived at this hotel on the 10.2.14 with my wedding party of 12 after a long delayed flight to be met by Bolah who was the most funniest character ever lol. He was so funny and entertaining that we all felt immediately at home. we had rented the villa for a week as we were getting married on 14.2.14. the villa was beautiful and the cleaner navin left amazing towel decorations on the bed and kept the villa extreamly clean. The wedding co-ordinate Guylain was amazing and nothing was to much trouble, thank you so much.Also her assistant was great. Special thanks to the following staff who made our stay so memorable, in no particular order,
Sailesh (dad), Sanjay, Arvind, Maacca, Ajay, Joan. The nauctic manager Naden who made our wedding dinner set up amazing. Vick and Vicky from the bar and last but not least Pamella from the bob marlin club who was amazing with all the kids. Had an amazing time and even better wedding will defo be returning thank you all once again for helping make such memorable memories, all our love leandra and shane Williams and all the wedding party.

Room Tip: go for the villa if you can afford it worth every penny
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank leandra w
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Le Mauricia is an excellent all -purpose family resort.

My family and I stayed there over Christmas in 2013 including New Year. The resort is extremely well run who’s staff are an absolute credit to the company. The main pool area is great – two large pools one with a children’s shallow pool leading off it. Activities throughout the day were fun and well run.
Food was consistently good, the breakfast buffet in particular being a highlight. We stayed in one of the Family apartments which were spacious and very comfortable but sadly not on the beach! I am splitting hairs here though.

Good Kid’s Club which our two enjoyed going to although my one piece of feedback which I shared with the staff at the time is that they need more male members of staff here – my two boys were keen to do more boy-type activities; sports, football etc. The activities were mainly focussed around dressing up, shows and crafts which had a limited shelf life for 5 and 3 year old boys.

Two minor gripes which they could fix VERY easily is that the Wi-Fi is only in the communal areas and that is intermittent at best. To not have Wi-Fi in the rooms in 2014 is a no-no in my book. Also when my wife and I went to play tennis on one of their super courts we were able to hire racquets free of charge but had to BUY balls from the shop at a decent mark up…. A small but annoying inconvenience. So if you want to play tennis bring your own balls!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank tobym20
Ruffec, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We took the all inclusive option which we found good value for money. We had a good sized room with balcony and sea view. The room and shower room were well appointed and clean. The water was always hot with a powerful jet of water in the shower. Very enjoyable shower. I didn't like the shower gel and shampoo much but most people bring their own, I imagine, so no big deal. The room was also very quiet and the bed large and comfortable. The choice and quality of food was excellent. There is a restaurant that can be booked for a table service meal but the main restaurant is buffet style. You would be hard pushed not to find something you liked to eat and the dessert choice was exceptional. The house wine was very acceptable and I can recommend the vanilla rum. There is a wide choice of water activities and most are included in the package. All the staff were friendly and helpful. I was particularly impressed that although we arrived at about 7.15 in the morning and normally rooms are not available until after 14.00 the staff enabled us to check into our room around 09.15 which was very much appreciated after a 12 hour flight through the night.
I like going in the sea and as this is situated in a bay with a number of boats moored in it, an area of sea had been sectioned off for use by guests. Good in many ways but for those who like to experience more freedom or some waves ,you won't get that. However the swimming pool is delightful.
The one area where the hotel could improve is the internet. Wi fi was only available in the communal areas and often dropped out. In this day and age I feel there be wi fi in the rooms.
All in all a great place to stay. We had great time.

Room Tip: I could imagine the rooms overlooking the sea might be quieter but as I didn't experience the ot...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aramis123
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Yes, this is a 4 Star hotel and that is what you pay for. I am a UK publican/restraunteur with over 35 years experience and I have stayed twice and visited several times. On the evening of my very first arrival, we had beers and glasses of wine and dinner (we were not All Inclusive) and just signed for everthing. I enquired at reception, the following day, having had a light lunch and a couple of drinks how much had been charged to our room? I very quickly requested the cost of up grading to All Inclusive for the remainder of our stay and paid immeadiately on my Debit Card.

The location of this hotel is superb, just 3-4 minutes walk along the beach front into Grand Baie for shops, bars, restaurants. The beach with sun loungers, umbrellas etc. is excellent but as in all beaches in Mauritius they are not 100% private, occassionaly you might see people walking on the sands close to the ocean, they might say Good Afternoon but that is all. In all my 14 visits to Mauritius I have never seen any Beach Hawkers.

I have no fault with the cleanliness of the rooms and facilities, but the clearing of used tables, especially during the day does need improvement. The bar service is relaxed, it is probably quicker to have waiter service for drinks, as the waiters appear to receive priority service.
We preferred Dinner in the Fine Dining Restaurant, everything cooked to order, for a reasonable supplement. It is preferable to book the day before, but at least by mid afternoon the same day, although they will take late bookings depending upon on other reservations. You are on vacation so you must try the Fine Dining at least once.

If you prefer to retire early at night, ensure you book your room(s) away from the pool/restaurant area.
M.Wood.

Room Tip: I have always stayed in the upstairs rooms to the South (left) of the pools and restaurants, a narro...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike W
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a very good expiriance in this hotel, and the service was really good too. The location of the hotel is also unbeliveable. We really had a great stay and a wonderfull holiday;;
M & M Kitanovski

Merville Beach Hotel
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,264 reviews
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resor...
#2 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,402 reviews
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,335 reviews
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Royal Palm Beachcomber Luxury

Been to Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!