20 Degres Sud Hotel
Les Villas Athena(Grand Baie)
$195
Casa Florida Hotel(Pereybere)(Great Value!)
$74
$62
$213
$207
$136
$128
Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa(Pointe aux Canonniers)
$257
$137
$159
$118
$855
All reviewsboutique hotelcolonial styleaustral suitesour honeymoonbeachfront roomsmall hotelhalf boardoutdoor showerdegrees southboat shuttlehobie catprivate jacuzzimauritian buffettea and cakeboutique natureturn down servicefruit basket
Reviewed June 26, 2013

20 degrees Sud is an absolutely amazing hotel which is completely unique.
The setting is perfect, in a quiet area with it's own beautiful beach.
The pool and communal areas are beautiful, and all decked out in an individual and relaxing way. The rooms are first class, wonderful views and loads of areas to sit and enjoy the views/ sunbathe. The rooms are beautifully furnished, with all the facilities you would expect from a luxury hotel.
We found the staff at this hotel superb, very friendly, courteous, and treat all the guests like royalty. Nothing is too much for them, and they go out of their way to help at every opportunity.
The food here is delicious, a very varied menu with a great mix of traditional Mauritian dishes and other fine dining too.
We really enjoyed a trip to flat island, a paradise island nearby and even a lobster lunch!
We took full advantage of the free bikes, and explored the local area which is very safe and beautiful scenery. We particularly enjoyed Mont Choisy beach, which is a short ride away.
We wouold thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for complete luxury, first class service, and a beautiful area.

2  Thank Sheffers11
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We've just spent 13 nights at 20 Degres Sud and didn't want to leave! The hotel is absolutely beautiful and surpassed our expectations.
We stayed in a beachfront room and couldn't have been happier. The room was a perfect size for us, with a lovely balcony - and an outdoor bath and shower! Until you've had a bath looking up at the stars you haven't lived!!
We stayed on a half board rate - which included breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner. We really enjoyed the food and didn't find the evening menu confusing at all. Every night the hotel has a 'menu du jour', but you can also choose from a number of items from the a la carte menu. My one warning is that wine is very expensive! However we found that to be the case when we ate out as well.
The highlights of our stay included dinner on the Lady Lisbeth (a must) and the day trip to Flat Island. My husband also took full advantage of the hotels free daily snorkelling trip and the Hobbycat boat (which he learnt to sail while we were there!). I on the other hand enjoyed some spa treatments - the daily hamman is a lovely treat.
The staff were lovely and we even met the owners on several occasions - on our last night Anne found us to say goodbye (a lovely touch).
We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and have already recommended it to our friends!

3  Thank chaela104
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel is intimate and charming and ticks most of the boxes! I agree with most of the reviews but a couple of small things prevent me from wholeheartedly recommending it to everyone.
Like other reviewers, we found the attitude and aptitude of the staff was varied; some were friendly and helpful but others seemed bored and/or incompetent.
The biggest negative, as far as my husband and I were concerned, is the siting of the hotel. It faces east which means it bears the brunt of the prevailing winds and, by 2.30pm, most of the outdoor seating areas, the "beach" included, are in shade. All the sea facing rooms and balconies are in shade for most of the day. This, however, might be a plus for some people - especially in the summer heat.
We were very disappointed that many excursions were not available during our stay due to the low occupancy rate. We had looked forward to the much advertised trip to Flat Island but we're denied the opportunity to take it.
We have no complaints about the food. Our evening meals were delicious and well-presented. As to the low lighting, it was at least forgiving to us older guests and romantic for the young!
All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and it proved the ideal medicine after our very unluxurious trip around southern Africa.

2  Thank HgrVaruna
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in the Austral Suite which was decorated suberbly. The views across the bay was amazing. My wife took photos so we could build our next house to look like this suite. I would stay here again anytime.

Staff were friendly and polite. I expect nothing more nor less.

We went half board so ate at the restaurant at night. It was decorated well and the ambience was romantic. It was quiet (probably because it is low season at the moment). I took lots of photos on my DSLR but internet at my current hotel is too slow to upload.

Room Tip: If you could afford it, go with Austral Suite
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShevinPerth
Reviewed May 28, 2013

On first impressions this hotel is everything you imagine and more from the website. From the welcoming arrival through its discrete tucked away entrance to its very attractive decor it most certainly looks and feels the part and all the public rooms have a nice colonial/clubby feel to them.

However, the first floor Charme room in which I stayed was simply too small for the 4 poster bed such that even for a slim single traveller with minimal luggage there was limited space to move around the room. I suspect that it may be a victim of having been built before the trend began for ever larger beds however given that the majority of honeymooning guests wouldn't wish to compromise on the bed size I'd suggest at least changing the 4 posters to conventional beds so that the posts and curtains aren't getting in the way (my TV was 25% obscured by this) and it wouldn't feel so claustrophobic.

I might add that I was a solo traveller seeking a few days relaxation after an 8 day tented safari in Okavango Delta so was used to limited accommodation!

The other disappointment is that, whilst a few of the staff were chatty and polite, the majority simply did their job in a rather slavish manner with simple requests for coffee or drinks met with an attitude suggesting it was all rather too much trouble. Rather than concentrating on making the guest feel welcome there were one or two waiters who were more intent on clearing my table before I'd even finished eating.

In summary, subject to the small room sizes (Charme room), this hotel could be seriously special however the fundamental element of great hospitality throughout is missing. To my mind the key to the success of any hotel is to make each and every guest feel special and that was not my experience.

I hope this review will be received as constructive criticism as it would be a shame if others felt the same sense of disappointment.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank N E
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Good morning,

First of all, thank you very much for your comments that are constructive and helping us to improve our offer. I am very sad to see that you did not like your room, the reason being it's dimension together with the bed size.
Concerning the beds, I would like to highlight the fact that all our beds are queen size beds, it means that they are 1,80 meter wide, and I am consequently quite surprised that you found them too small. In 7 years, it's the first time we receive this comment.
Concerning the room size it is true that our charm category that you choosed is not offering big large rooms, but it is well defined on our web site : the charm category allows our guests to live the "20°Sud experience" at a cheapest price, but are smaller.
If we are lucky to meet you again during some holidays in Mauritius, I will be glad to show you other rooms categories, some of them offering rooms reaching 100 m2.
Thank you also for your comments concerning the service. I will enquire and rest assure that the corrective actions will be taken to improve it.

Best regards from Mauritius,

Michel Bourgeois, CEO and owner.