“Perfect”

20 Degres Sud Hotel
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Grand Baie
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I have recently returned home after spending eight wonderful nights at 20 degrees Sud.
We had a magical time. When searching for a hotel we wanted something small and individual which is exactly what we found, 20 Degrees Sud is less hotel-more elegant guesthouse.
It was beautifully furnished with large comfy sofa's to snuggle up on with a book in the evening, a wonderful billiards table, chess and scrabble.
The food was fantastic, breakfast was never ending, afternoon tea was decadent and dinner was a very special treat.
Our room was gorgeous with a roll top tub and a outdoor shower! Every night the turn down service made us smile with their new towel creations!
The free bicycle hire service was great and meant we could cycle to the beautiful beaches along the coast which was great fun.
We had a wonderful relaxing honeymoon- and will return someday soon I hope!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Claire U

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from a 5 night stay as part of a longer 12 night stay on the island.

The Hotel is a wonderful example of a small and boutique place to stay, with beautifully designed rooms, public areas, fine dining and personal service only to be dreamt about in the larger chain resorts.

You enter straight from the street through a large oak door into an intimate, palm tree strewn courtyard style area, which includes bar, dining areas and beautiful sitting areas....the whole place seemed to combine colonial cool with traditional Mauritian style.

The welcome was very warm (greeted at the car) and we were taken to the bar for a welcome drink before being shown to our room.

The room was simply stunning. A exercise in great interior design, fantastic to look at and perfectly functional. A large 4 poster bed and fantastic bathroom which included roll-top bath, double sinks, separate wet room and toilet areas, all presented in the same beautiful style....

We stayed on half board basis which included breakfast and a three course meal every evening. The chef included a suggested 'meal of the day' but you could substitute plenty of alternatives from an la carte menu.

The food was one of the highlights of our stay. It combined traditional Mauritian cuisine with a french twist. True fine dining of an exceptional quality.

There were free coffees and hot chocolate all day and freshly made cake from 4PM with a selection of teas, which was a lovely touch!

The restaurant also served an excellent a la carte lunch which was of the same high standards.

The spa was excellent and provided free hamman and sauna facilities to guests.

This hotel has a quiet, secluded, exclusive feel to it. It has so many quiet, exceptionally comfortable sitting areas, both inside and out, which make relaxing and unwinding so easy! Even the music played through the hotel is cool. No 'muzak' here!

Overall, a wonderful place to stay. Intimate, unique and a little gem.

We booked our stay through Angelfish Travel (Mauritius Direct), who were excellent and without their advice I might have missed this place.....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeakTraveller
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

I recently booked a room for me and my partner at said hotel. Sadly, due to serious illness in my family, I had to cancel our stay. I cancelled the booking almost a month and a half in advance and therefore could get my full deposit of €1 500 back.

It has now been 15 days and I have received no refund. During this period I have made copious amounts of calls, send heaps of emails just to try and find out how long and when I can expect my refund.

The management had been extremely unhelpful and rude to me. Phones have been hung up on me and emails have been ignored.

I've been given all sorts of interesting excuses ie the accountant is out of town, their offices are offline, the bank is offline, the manager is away and his signature is needed. The list goes on and on.

Like I said, it had now been 15 days and I still have received no payment nor have I received any inclination of when I can expect my refund.

They have left me no choice but to seek legal advice.

They were extremely quick to demand the money when the booking was made but it seems they are very reluctant to return it when a cancellation is requested.

I am really appalled and shocked at the way I have been treated by the reception staff and general management. They came across as rude, unhelpful and very unprofessional.

I had several other bookings on the island which I cancelled on the same date as this hotel, within 24 hours all my deposits were fully refunded.

Best of luck to the next person who makes a cancellation.

Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank Sue M
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Madam,
We are aware of the delay but would like to highlight the reasons : you gave us incorrect details and our bank refused the transfer.
We had to contact you again to get correct information, and as it was not immediately possible, the refund was finally sent 13 days after your cancellation.
Rest asure that we apology for that, but we do not understand how agressively you are reacting for a... 13 days delay !
Best regards,
Michel Bourgeois, Owner of 20°Sud hotel.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here for one week (out of two weeks on Mauritius) in July, in an Austral Suite, booked through Angelfish / Mauritius direct - and for us it was a perfect choice.

As they claim on the website, this is a hotel with a difference, and although it has all the amenities and services of a hotel (or resort) - it actually feels more like......well.....something different.

The hotel (in lack of a better word) is very well laid out, and you instantly notice that a lot of thought and effort has been put into the decoration and style. The whole place oozes of a cozy colonial island atmosphere that fits perfectly into the destination. The ambiance is strengthen even further by the wonderful staff, excellent food and e.g. the complimentary daily tea time and the setup for dinner around the pool area and bar with lanterns etc..

The location is good, it is kind of an upscale and quiet residential area, by (complimentary) bike it is 20 min. to Grand Baie proper (for shopping) and 15 min. to Mon Choisy beach (for sunset and beach vistas). The hotel is facing the sunrise, so around mid-afternoon the sun will disappear from that side of the small peninsula, giving you a valid reason for leaving the property and get a 15 min. exercise on the bike to Mon Choisy where you can have a gorgeous sunset.

The food was absolutely excellent, most days we ended up selecting the daily three course menu, and often had to make some hard choices, in order to also sample some the very tasty dishes off the menu (we had HB). You will be spoiled for choice and quality at 20 Sud.

We stayed in an Austral Suite and it was an excellent (very large) room with a large veranda overlooking Grand Baie. Spotlessly clean, excellent housekeeping and turndown service, and a lot of nice amenities like Nespresso machine, Ipod Dock etc.. They do have a lot of different rooms, and I think a really good choice would be a beachfront room on the first floor, as they seemed to have a veranda area on both sides (facing the water and the courtyard).

As others have stated, there is really not much of a beach, but they have done a really good job with what they have, and the view of Grand Baie is captivating. We knew this upfront, so it did not bother us, also we would be going to Lux Le Morne (stunning beach location), for the second week. 20 Sud also have free snorkeling trips daily and a free boat shuttle to Grand Baie.

Anyways, If you are reading this, I am guessing that you are trying to figure out where to stay on Maurtitius.......right?

I know it can be a difficult task.......and after all......you are trusting someone with your precious vacation time and hard earned money, and hoping that they will deliver a product that will meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.......well let me help you out here:

If you can do without a very long beach right in front of your room, and "settle" for a small but nice beach area with a captivating view of the turquoise waters of Grand Baie, do not hesitate with putting 20 Sud right on top of your short list........if you are so lucky that you have the time to experience two different places on Mauritius.......just book 20 Sud immediately.....

Room Tip: The suites all look very nice, but value wise I think the Beachfront Rooms are the best choice.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ole L
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I had booked a two week AI in Mauritius and independantly booked two nights at this stunning small hotel as a mini break from my main hotel.
This polished little gem of a hotel delivered a real "wow" factor from the moment I booked ( via bookings.com) to the moment I reluctantly left.
:Prior to my booking, I was advised that due to maintenance the dates I wanted were not available and an alternative was offered. I just changed my dates as I specifically wanted to stay at 20o South. The hotel quickly responded, and new dates were confirmed. The booking agent took days to confirm new dates. A lesson here... bigger is not better, and 20o South was already showing a committment to personal service.

On arrival, I was warmly greeted by Vic, who arranged for my bag to be taken to my room while I enjoyed a delicious cocktail, cool towel and an introduction to the hotel. Again Vic advised me that being the winter some maintenance work was taking place, and she hoped this didn't interfere with my stay.
I stayed in a beach facing Charm room. As other reviewers have previously stated, these are smaller rooms, but I didn't find this a problem. Beautifully decorated, with a huge canopied four poster bed, ample storage space,TV, tea and coffee making facilities, a/c, and lots of ambient and spot lighting. The bathroom was the same size as the bedroom with a huge bathtub (with a hand held shower), a seperate shower and toilet. The bath products, soap, shower gel, shampoo and conditoner, were of exceptional quality and quantity.. no fiddly little sachets !! The bath towels were spotless, huge,and wonderfully fluffy, and cotton waffle dressing gowns were provided.

I knew that the sandy beach was small, but there was ample room to stretch out on very comfortable sun beds which had been placed in the gardens and sandy terraces, over looking the bay. As the hotel faces east, it did catch the breeze, but some sun beds had been shielded by perspex screens. The hotel pools were also placed behind large clear screens, affording stunning views to the bay, but without the wind. All the screen were sympathetically planted with gorgeous foliage and looked very natural.
The food was outstanding! Proper orange juice for breakfast, scambled eggs that had been made with real butter, and a toaster that actually worked! There was ample choice, and for me, starting the day on an open terrace over looking one of the swimming pools could not be beaten.
The hotel has obviously listened to other comments and reviews. The menu clearly identifies what is included in the daily package, and states what can be taken at an additonal cost. As I was only there for 2 nights, the included choice was ample for me. Delicious imaginatve food, beautifully presented, and excellent service. The wine list was extensive for such a small hotel, and again of excellent quality.

I used the spa for a massage and manicure/pedicure. This was such treat! The ladies here really know their stuff, and I emerged totally relaxed and beaming. Prices are less than I would expect in the UK, and the treatment rooms were comfortable and soothing. For the mani/pedi, I had two ladies working simultaneously while I stretched out on a comfy bed with a lavender scented towel over my eyes.. bliss.

I also went on the day trip to Flat Island that had been recommended by previous reviewers. This was an expensive day out ( 4400 MRU), but was one of the high lights of my whole holiday! The catamaran takes 90 minutes to get to Flat Island, which included tea/coffee and pastries en route, a stop for some snorkelling and a lucky chance encounter with some dolphins. The catamaran takes 8 guests, and after some initial shyness, my fellow travellers became engaging company. Cocktails, beer, wine and soft drinks with little snacks were offered from the "beach bar" while we all lounged on generously large bean bags in the sun. Wear light clothing and swimmies, as the spray from sitting at the front of the catamaran on the trip over meant we well all soaked! After our collective clothing dried we all proceeded to enjoy a delicious long ( wine fuelled!) lunch at the remains of the Governors House. There are shower and toilet facillities.My only comment was that I would have expected a final drink at sunset on the catamaran trip back!

Cocktail hour at the hotel was a welcome interlude. Delicious snacks were served, and the hotel's owners ensured they met guests and asked if guests were enjoying their visit.

Wifi is free,even from bedrooms, and capacious beach bags are provided for chucking in beach towels, book etc.
Staff: I was impressed with the genuine warmth of my welcome, which continued until I sadly left! In particular Michael ensured I did manage to get to Flat Island, Karen was a sweetie at reception, Vic's warm welcome started from the moment arrives, to when I left, Faisal made sure me laugh with the towel sculptures, and all the waiters were helpful and attentive. For such a small hotel, the staffing level was very high.
The hotel arranged a taxi return to my main hotel that was cheaper than the taxi the taxi I had booked to take me to 20o South.
Any negatives? Hardly... the hotel has 2 pin plug sockets, but provide free adapters if needed. The actual plug sockets (2) for my room were limited and at floor level.. At meal times, bottled water was charged, which I thougt was odd given the exceptional quality of the hotel's facilities and services.
Last impressions: I hope this stays as a small hotel, as the attention to detail, ambience, quality and staff services just cannot be repicated in larger hotels. Even if you are staying in another hotel for the bulk of your trip, I'd recommend booking some time away at 20o South!

Room Tip: If travelling from the UK, you'll need a plug adapter, but these are freely provided by the hote...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank mcpinder
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear valuable Guests,
It is indeed with a great pleasure that we noted your glowing review on the 20°South and we are as well so delighted that your stay has been up to your best expectations.
Our heartfelt appreciation goes to your valuable comments, rewarding our constant commitment towards hospitality Excellence and guests satisfaction in order to make you discover the unique magic of Mauritius Island.
Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at our establishment.
Sincerely yours,
Anne and Michel Bourgeois
Owners

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights for the first half of our honeymoon. We booked a 2nd 5 nights in a larger hotel on the south of the island because we thought that we might get a little bored in this smaller hotel, and that we might also get board with the food. While we enjoyed our 2nd hotel, we were wrong, we could easily have done 2 weeks at 20deg sud!

If you are thinking of honeymooning in Mauritius, or having a romantic get away, and can afford it, this is the hotel for you. We will be going back, once we have saved up again!

It is as beautiful as it looks in the pictures; small and very quiet, tucked away on a nice quiet road on a quiet side of the bay.

Rooms area all fairly unique and have either pool or sea views. They are definitely European sized; bathrooms particularly nice. Safes in every room, plenty of storage, only English TV is BBC World though you won't be worried about watching TV! Free tea and coffee facilities in your room, shower, luxurious bath, mini bar.

Staff were welcoming and friendly; there were a great deal of staff too!

The free boat shuttle is very good, in a nice wooden motor boat. Cycles are free to borrow and the roads reasonably safe. 1 and 2 person kayaks are there to borrow as were rowing boards, small sailing dingy and small sailing cat. Free snorkeling boat trips out to the reef daily about 4 min away (nothing really to see immediately at the hotel). They also have a sort of speed boat and there is the old steam ship on which you can have dinner. They also have a small dive center and prices seemed very reasonable. The spa was small and reasonably priced. There are a couple of large library areas, with hundreds of books to borrow in english and french, as well as lots of non fiction books.

We enjoyed heading to the 2nd bar/library area where we played pool and relaxed in private several evenings. Just by there is a 2nd pool; we were the only people we noticed using it during our stay.

Grand Baie is a really nice town; yes it has touristy shops, but not many. We found it quiet friendly and safe. We were not hassled once, unlike in a couple of other towns we went to. There are lots of nice restaurants too for lunch or dinner; get the lonely planet before you visit for excellent listings.

The trip to flat island is a must; really a paradise location! You get a wonderful and large bbq lunch as well as beers and cocktails. Take flippers and snorkel with you from the hotel; also lots of sun cream and your camera.

The food is excellent; though occasionally food service in the evenings could be a little slow we weren't in any rush. For half board included there is the daily changing menu items which were usually very nice, a standard menu of 3 starters, 3 mains and puds. Then a number of items from the standard menu are included. If you don't like fish, you will be stuck for dinner.

Chicken curry was very nice, various items using Dorado fish also great. A special Easter menu was laid on on Easter Saturday night and was brilliant; lamb cooked to perfection!

I was very surprised that the other dinner menu items were so expensive, you didn't seem to get a credit towards what were already high listed prices (much higher than one local top flight place we visited for lunch) for items not included in the package (though again, we didn't feel the need to dip into them).

You can change your included meal for the day to lunch (good selection of snacks and main meals at more reasonable prices) and head out for one of the excellent local restaurants for a change. We didn't get board with the selection at all and would happily have eaten there for another week, though would have gone out a couple of evenings just for variety of location.

Breakfast was very nice; eggs and crepes etc available fresh on request. We only had lunch there once and the snack items were very nice, prices for this were fine, about £5 for a large club sandwich (very very nice) with salad and fries. Afternoon tea and cake was always nice!

Drinks menu is extensive; cocktails very good and the wine list the best we saw on the island. They are fairly pricing though; think moderate London pub or bar prices for the same quality items - hot horrific but a better bottle of wine is rather too expensive IMO.

As I have said, we fully intend to return here when we can. However, in the interests of full disclosure, here are the things I would note that could be improved:

- Loan cycles; these were fine but you needed to check though them to get a decent one. The tyres were well worn on all and all bikes needed a good service in one way or another. In the main they were fine and perfectly safe; brakes and chains all seemed fine. However, a couple were near un-ridable because the baskets were near falling off, and fittings felt loose

- No helmets were available to borrow which didn't inspire confidence on unfamiliar roads

- The bed we had was, to be honest, not terribly comfortable with a cheap spring mattress; would be easily improved with a mattress pad.

- Service was mainly great but waits between courses at dinner were often quite long, which is fine when not in a hurry but on our first night we were waiting 40 minuets for our main and were exhausted so wanted to go to bed! We were always being asked for our room number in such a small hotel; only the main lady who had greeted us on arrival and a couple of waiters remembered the number eventually

- We had booked the flat island trip from home via our agent a couple of weeks before flying out & we know they spoke to the hotel directly more than once, but on inquiring on arrival the hotel they couldn't trace a record. Our travel agent sorted this with them within a day. It seemed odd they didn't have a note against our booking when we checked in.

- Wine at dinner was served in balloon like glasses while the standard wine glass reserved for water; this is such a small detail but in a hotel of this high quality it seemed a little odd drinking a white from what seemed like a red wine glass... ok sorry I just sound like an idiot wine snob now but it just kept striking me as weird!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, though the suites looked amazing. I would ask for an up-stairs room however...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gmfromnearlondon
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Physically, this is a stunning hotel in a stunning location. Breathtakingly beautiful. Lovely small size. Almost like a private home. The designers have done an exceptional job. In fact, this is the first hotel I have stayed in where the website does not do it justice. It is more beautiful in the flesh!

But I am afraid there is something just not quite right about it. We stayed in the number one Austral Villa and every morning we were asked what our room number was. This is very odd and something I have never experienced before. Every interaction with the staff is like your first interaction. Similarly, I have never in my life been to a resort where you were not asked your name and where you are from by the wait staff. It is a bit like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers - the staff are there, they do their job - but you must keep very much to yourself.

It is beautiful - there is no doubt.

But there are plenty of beautiful places in the world with far more personality than this.

Didn't quite tick all the boxes for us. The lack of interaction is perfectly acceptable in a sprawling villa only resort but in a hotel this small and close, we believe the staff lacked a certain something and this contributes to what otherwise should have been a stellar review. When you have lashed out an Austral Suite, for the price, you want it to be perfect.

In response to all the comments about the lack of variety in the half board menu, it it just that the menu is not explained to you properly. If you are yet to go to 20 Degres Sud, please look at the menu on the bottom of the front page. This is the menu that changes every day and the food is exquisite. The half board options in the menu proper are the same for a six month cycle (exquisite also, but repetitive if you are unaware of the bottom of the front page). We only found this out on the second last night. Again, a small thing that staff doing their job properly would ensure guests are aware of.

Room Tip: Austral Suite No 3 is the best room in the place without a doubt.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
13  Thank Sarah1Perth
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear valuable Guest,
Thank you for staying at 20°Sud and even more for taking time to share your feedback which is overall positive.
We are very happy that you did enjoy the specific colonial architecture style and decoration of our Boutique-hotel that aim to combine refinement and elegance including the special romantic touch of our interior furniture, designed by renowned Belgian Flamant. Indeed, Austral Suites represent the very essence of this unique concept.
And as you also perfectly wrote, we prefer our guests to be impressed in real upon arrival rather than already virtually have seen all our best kept secret wonders after a short website visit.
We also take very seriously in consideration your comment regarding the need for even greater Mauritian staff training in order to offer excellence that you are entitled to receive when staying in our property. We do apologize for these little lacks of interaction and ensure you that all necessary correction will be done.
We really do hope to have the occasion to welcome you again soon when visiting back again Mauritius.
Yours sincerely,

#1 of 5 in Pointe aux Canonniers
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to 20 Degres Sud Hotel? Share your experiences!