“quiet et luxe in Mauritius”

20 Degres Sud Hotel
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Grand Baie
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We just came back from Mauritius on our Honey Moon. Perfect hotel: very nice, good location, very nice personal and great cook!
Free bike service and boat shuttle to grand baie! what a great idea/
TO recommand any time.
THe decoration was very nice. We just expected some more "goodies" for our honey moon, but the quiet of the place was nice enough!

3  Thank josly21
There are newer reviews for 20 Degres Sud Hotel

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Me and my wife spent 4 nights at 20 degres sud in September. We stayed in one of the suites. Beautifully furnished and very comfortable, with a bedroom, bathroom and a decently sized living room. I sometimes measure the quality of a location and hotel room by how little we feel the need to watch TV - at 20 degres sud, we did not turn it on once.

At 20-odd rooms, the hotel is delightfully cosy. We usually took a drink at the bar before dinner, and the place was very social, the guests mostly recognizing and chatting with each other.

The common areas (i.e. the pools, restaurants) are also very beautiful.

The food was good though not always exceptional, and choices covered by the half-board were rather limited.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hanan75
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week in Mauritius at the 20 degres sud Boutique Hotel. We often look for smaller hotels that provide a more intimate setting and this was definitely it - a bit bigger than some of the other boutique hotels we've stayed in but nice nonetheless.

Our flight didn't get in until 8 pm and we didn't arrive at the hotel until after 10. We were exhausted and hungry and thankfully, the hotel arranged a light, cold meal in our room. We originally checked in to a beachfront room but after a problem in the room, we moved to another much larger room on the second level (42.) The room was beautifully decorated and we really loved the large clawfoot tub, outdoor shower, and giant, private outdoor terrace overlooking the bay.

The food was generally fantastic. The breakfast was pretty standard (crepes, fruit, cereal) but if you ask, they'll make you eggs or an omelet. We ate lunch at the hotel several times and really enjoyed the smoked marlin panini, albeit, a little expensive. My husband and I enjoyed the dinner options and it actually inspired me to try some new things that I might not have ordered. If the option really wasn't for me, there were a couple of other options included in the menu to choose from. It may be a bit difficult if you are a picky eater as you will burn through the 'included' menu pretty quick. We really loved the Indian night and always left fully satisfied.

**Note: Our outside booking agent offered us a drinks supplement when we made our reservation which was to include beer, wine and water. It turns out this only applied during dinner service. While this was not the hotel's fault, do not go for the drink supplement if it is offered to you.

We decided to do the trip to Flat Island and it was completely worth it! There were only 5 of us on trip and we felt like we were living a day in the life of the rich and famous! The lobster was delicious and the entire day fantastic. It is certainly a must-do.

The only complaints would be...
-Ants!!! Everywhere - luckily they are harmless but we found them in our coffee cups in our room, the bed, the bath, etc. It hardly impacted our experience but was a little annoying.
-It does get a little costly with drinks and extras and it was fairly easy to tally up a large bill by the end of our stay.
-The Internet connection was barely there and when my husband had some urgent work to do one evening we found it frustrating that the signal was continually being dropped.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at 20 degres sud - it provided us the perfect place to unwind and relax.

**Note: This hotel is geared towards couples and at times, we felt a little young at just under 30. There was one child (11 or 12 years old) and I felt bad for him. There were no other kids to hang out with and the pool/beach is not geared towards play. He spent most of his time hanging out with the boat shop staff. If you have kids, this probably isn't your place!

Room Tip: Splurge and upgrade your room - it's worth it!
2  Thank JJReid1030
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Boutique hotel: : sur un espace très réduit, une très bel hotel où l'on ne se sent pas à l'étroit.

Tout y est joli et harmonieux.

Le service est presque parfait, très souriant, très agréable.

Les propriétaires gèrent ler hotel activement et avec talent et gentillesse.

Décoration par Flamand très harmonieux et très joli mais souvent antipratique.

Restaurant haut de gamme.

Club de plongée sur site, très valable.

Massages de très bon niveau.

Une merveille.

Quand même quelques critiques:
- l'estéthique prime sur le pratique et sur le comfort. Eclaiarage ambiance mais pas moyen de lire une livre...; un fauteuil dans la chambre mais sous la télévision, impossible de s'y assoir...; certaines prises asservies par de intérupteurs, nombreux test nécessaires...;
-WiFi pas toujours disponnible, signal très faible et nombreuses coupures, WiFi payant en option.
- En formule demi pension, le repas est imposé. Les substitutions sont possibles, mais certaines sont payantes.
- résonnance dan s les tuyauteries...
- les repas en terrasse inspirent les fumeurs dont certains indélicats. Pourquoi ne pas interdir de fumer ou au moins le cigare la ù l'on mange?

Ceci, et d'autres petites choses, n'ont pas gâché notre plaisir d'être dans un excellent hotel extrèmement bien gérré. Les plus sont de taille , les moins ne sont de de petites irritations .

Cet hotel est à recommander. Il n'y a pas le comfort et le choix des meilleurs grands hotels, mais il offre le charme d'une petite opération bien gérée.

2  Thank Duveldrinker
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We are just back from our honeymoon. Based on the tripreports, we booked 8 nights in the Austrian suite with beachview.

Room; Suite 01; Designed through Flamant Interiors. Elegant & refined. A big black / white entrance, badroom, showerroom, toilet, sitting area & bedroom. We also had a private terrasse & swimming pool. From our terrasse it was 1 meter to the beach. Flowers, fruit, candy & nespresso was also included... Sleeping in paradise? This is the room!

Service; When we entered, we where welcomed by Pascale. She offered us a coktail & we discussed our stay. She & the personell where very kind & always happy to help. They did everything with a smile. Jazal from housekeeping is indeed an artist in making figures with towels. Denis makes the best coktails I ever drank.

Excursions; There is a battle going on with the hotels & the touroperators for the excursions. We took 2 excursions from the hotel & those where perfect. They give also here an extra touch; by car? Lets arange a luxury car. by boat? Use the private boat from the hotel with few guests? Want to have a special moment? Go to our private island. Again perfect in every way... Our tour operator offered us also an excursion. Was only good ( but a third the price )

Food; A nice selection for breakfast. It was not the biggest choise but everything was fresh. The fresh panncakes & eggs with bacon did the trick.

lunch; a nice selection of bistro dishes. A lot of choice.

diner; everybody is talking about this one. You have the daily menu. Dont like it? You can choose from the card. But only a few dishes are included. For the rest you have to pay extra. After 7 days you have seen the food, believe me. Why dont offer 2 daily menus? Fish or Chicken? A small hotel can handle this easily. Half pension means generaly food in the evening included. Paying for every crouse extra from 100 to 700 rouppie didnt feel good.

price / quality? Well you pay for the best & expect the best. The money paid was worth is but also nothing more. The diner options are to limited. The extras that you pay for food in the evening is something i cant understand. Also there are somethimes small mistakes. Some days a journal, somethimes not. Sometimes new towels, sometimes not. Sometimes candy, sometimes not.

General conclusion; Besides the food concerns the trip was excellent. We will be certainly back and hope the restaurant will be changed. So keep up the good work!

Room Tip: suite 01 - perfect suite with small pool & big terras suite 02 - big pool & small terras
2  Thank Stoffke
Reviewed December 9, 2011

My husband and I visited 20 Degrees South for ten nights in October 2011 for our honeymoon.

I am a compulsive holiday researcher, often browsing luxury travel websites for relaxation, so it is fair to say our search for the perfect honeymoon destination and hotel was exhaustive. We were not disappointed, even once, by 20 Degrees South.

Arrival:

We arrived at about 2.45 in the afternoon, hungry, and were told that the kitchen would be kept open so we could have some lunch, but to take our time and not rush. Having sipped our welcome cocktails in the bar we were taken to our Beachfront room. It was absolutely gorgeous, just steps from the sea. Beautifully decorated,wonderfully homely, and very clean.

Welcome:

Everyone was very friendly, very warm and very welcoming. Marcell deserves a special mention for being an absolute dude. He is in charge of booking the hotel's excursions, but we found him always willing to chat about the island and give advice. He even gave me a tip on the racing and lent us his turf guide.

Hotel excursions:

Fabulous, you feel very rock star on the Flat Island trip as there are so few of you on the catamaran (6-8) that it is like a trip with friends, rather than the booze cruises you see departing from Grand Baie. We snorkelled on the reef near the island, which was the best snorkelling we experienced in the north of Mauritius (Blue Bay on the south-east coast is unmissable if you like to snorkel). The restaurant on flat island has been beautifully done and with the little extra touches that make the hotel so special. We ate lobster and fancied ourselves royalty. Look out for Green Day Geckos in the ruins of the Governor's house, they are endemic to Mauritius and very rare, but thriving there. On the way back the captain spotted a whale and we set off in hot pursuit under sail, I had never been that interested in whale watching as I figured it would involve a lot of chilly staring at the sea and hoping, but seeing an animal as large as a double decker bus while clinging on to a boat bounding over the waves under sail was one of the best experiences I have ever had.

The Lady Lisbeth trip, which we decided to try after enjoying Flat Island so much, was also lovely, in a much more sedate way. The meal was as gastronomic as promised and again the service was special. Even though you only go out into the bay, watching fish leap away from the lights under the boat as you travel makes for great entertainment as you sip your pre-dinner cocktail.

Food:

Fantastic. I was shocked by some of the disparaging comments I have seen on this site. There was plenty of local options, such as Palm Heart salad and sun fish. We never had to have the same thing, there was always choice, and without resorting to the a la carte menu (although when I did try the a la carte options they were worth the extra). The lobster on Flat Island was great and the Lady Lisbeth meal, too. The puddings were so good that after the hot chocolate souffle, I forgot I was on my honeymoon and enquired after the marital status of the chef.

What struck me was all the lovely food that was included which would be extra elsewhere, fruit in our room, cake at afternoon tea and mountains of delicious canapes served with pre-dinner drinks. The minute you finished one lot a new lot would arrive, frequently served by the owner herself. If we had accepted all of them then we would not have needed dinner at all.

They were so generous that I assumed that all Mauritius hotels were like that. When we moved to the more expensive Lakaz Chamarel in the mountains I was picking at some biscuits when I was given a filthy look by the Manager. It was only the next day I realised they were for guests paying £20 or so a day extra for the privilege.

Spa:

Cursed with hair that frequently looks like a warthog's brush, I found the spa a godsend. I have about a 50% hairdresser success rate, such is the wiry determination of my hair, but the hairdresser did a great job and I emerged feeling like a million bucks. I also tried the coconut scrub, which was both wonderful smelling and effective, and the massage, which was good.

Extras:

It is the extras that make 20 Degrees South, the inclusive water sports equipment, the afternoon teas, the attention to detail (three kinds of sugar available to have in tea), the free bicycles, the great evening entertainment (Lakaz Chamarel had a man with a kazoo) etc. etc. etc. It all makes you feel like a welcomed guest rather than a walking wallet. I wish other hotels would try as hard.

In all, I would say this is a great hotel for people looking for an elegant hotel, but not suitable for those who like vast beaches and three restaurants. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a beachfront room, it was perfect, our own little nook overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AOxborough
Michel-Bourgeois, Owner at 20 Degres Sud Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear valuable guests,
Many thanks for your kind words that enter straight to our hearts, rewarding all of our Team passion work for hospitality all along the year.
We are very pleased that you did enjoy your Honeymoon stay at 20°Sud Boutique-hotel and hope to welcome you back again soon in Mauritius.
Wishing you both lots of happiness for your wedding couple.
Kind regards,
Michel & Anne

Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed for 5 nights in 20 degres sud. Well managed hotel. Restaurant: very good food. Rooms: a little small, even the beach facing rooms. Cocktails served with very well tasting snacks! Mostly France/Belgian tourists. Trip to Flat Island: outstanding, specially the second part of the trip (Governor's House and beach). The beach in front of hotel is a little bit small. The hotel's website mentioned that no children under 12 years were allowed. At the time of our stay we saw several young children staying in the hotel!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 28 in Grand Baie
Veranda Grand Baie Hotel & Spa
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to 20 Degres Sud Hotel? Share your experiences!