“Merville Beach Hotel, Grande Baie, Mauritius”

Merville Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Grand Baie
Reviewed May 16, 2013

A first class hotel, with fantastic service and friendly staff.
Have stayed there four times now, and each visit we are so happy to be returning there.... we are always looked after so well... nothing is too much trouble.
Location is good... prices reasonable, rooms comfortable, food is good.. and everything works... cannot recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: we like the bungalows....
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank FCTh
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Mauritius Island 21 May, 2013

Dear Mr & Mrs Thearle,

Please allow me first of all to thank you for your fidelity towards Merville Beach during the recent years.

I am so touched by the pleasing comments on our services and can assure you that no stone will be left unturned at Le Merville Beach in our efforts to continuously help people celebrate life.

I cannot wait to welcoming you back to your Mauritian home and until then, please accept my warmest regards.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I'm told the Merville Beach can never become a 4 star because there's no space to enlarge the pool but everything else about it is lovely and with the best beach(es) around it doesn't need to.

I like a 'nice' hotel but this one was not too grand; Merville Beach had just the right balance for me - it sounds snobby but you had neither the Benidorm crowd nor the uncomfortable feeling that everyone there but you is loaded and you are letting the place down by even being there. My sister-in-law had been before and insisted we go this time and she was absolutely right. We've stayed at La Plantation before and it was lovely but, frankly, a wee bit too grand - I knew it was just a matter of time until they discovered I didn't belong there and evicted me. ;)

Staff are extremely warm and helpful (although one chap on reception could use a few happy pills, but he stands out because everyone else is so nice to talk to), rooms are being upgraded and the location is great - easy walk to Grand Baie but still a sense of being out of town.

My choice of room, if I was to go again, would be a sea-facing superior room. We had one and the only reason I haven't given this place 5 stars is that ours was yet to be modernised. I saw one that had been, though, while they were airing it as the paint dried, and it was gorgeous - all light and airy and white.

My sister in law was in a villa room, first downstairs then (better) upstairs) and hers had been renovated but actually the renovated sea-facing superior rooms in the garden buildings were, I thought, nicer. The hotel has 3 sections of beach and the sand was definitely best at the beach in front of the garden rooms, although obviously we were free to go to any bit we wanted. She liked her room better, though, so it really is a matter of taste. Her bathroom was enormous.

Restaurant staff were lovely and would make you special food if nothing suited - my daughter turned up her nose at their Indian night so they rushed off to make her chicken and chips, which was really kind of them. The breakfast pancakes and waffles are fantastic. Alcohol was a bit pricy - we ended up stocking the fridge with our own stuff and having a drink before dinner, but I expect the prices would be just the same anywhere else. (We went half board, which was worth it as we hired a car and were off exploring all the time but if I was planning on sticking around then full board would definitely be worth the extra.)

They have a free phone booth just outside reception, where you can make calls to anyone in the world. That was a lovely touch and I really appreciated being able to ring back to check on my parents while I was away without having to worry about what it was doing to my room bill. (I think next time I go to Mauritius I'll buy a local SIM card - no need if you're always in the hotel but if you're out and about and splitting up and want to meet up with others later, it cuts out the ridiculously high overseas rates the phone companies charge.)

Must mention Khalida in the gift shop - what a nice lady. If anyone in the hotel reads this, please tell her Adam's mum says hello. (My 11 year old was off making friends with the staff and between them and other holidaying boys he met we barely saw him on this trip.)

Keep an eye out in the evening around the villas for the Mauritian shrews (Tenrecs), a bit like furry hedghogs without spikes and which come out at night. They're really cute and are not rats, so don't get them mixed up and worry about them. Spotting them was a real highlight for the kids each evening.

The hotel does lots of free watersports, although we never got around to doing them - only had a week and we were too busy doing other things or just relaxing.

Hotel staff speak good English and French - there are still British voices around but this hotel is used more by French holidaymakers, which makes it feel a little more cosmopolitan. There are also South Africans, Danes and Germans - we left just as the English school holidays started (we're in Wales and ours started a week earlier) and there were definitely more British people arriving as we checked out.

Surprisingly, although they have Mauritian food, it's not the dominant cuisine at the hotel - we were told the other guests complain if there is too much Mauritian food. (Mad, because it's fantastic. Mind you, the French are famous for preferring their own food so perhaps the themed 'Italian/Chinese/Indian/Mediterranean' nights were as adventurous as many were willing to go.) However, the staff were happy to make us Mauritian food on request and it was very nice.

It's about an hour's drive from Grand Baie to the airport; watch out for traffic in Port Louis from 3pm-about 5pm as schools & office let out. We left earlier than we needed to, cleared Port Louis then stopped for lunch at a shopping mall just south of it called Bagatelle, just off the main road. Really nice food court and a good way to break the journey.

NB If you need a supermarket on a Sunday afternoon, the local shops close but the Food Lovers Market at La Croisette, the new mall on the way into Grand Baie, is open on a Sunday until about 5pm. La Croisette also has a food court, which helps if you're trying to keep control of your spending.

If you're after good value car hire, we used AKD. The car definitely wasn't new but it did what we needed it to and was much cheaper than the other firms - local companies beat the pants off the big internationals in that respect - and we'd seen good reviews on them from other people. They met us at Arrivals with it and collected it when we got back to the airport to leave again - no messing about standing in line at Hertz/Avis depots as people ahead of you wrangle about forms etc.

So, would I go to Merville Beach Hotel again? Definitely. Many thanks to all at the hotel for making it such a nice trip.

Room Tip: Sea-facing superior are fab.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Niltiac
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

29 April, 2013

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent stay in Mauritius.

We are indeed delighted to read your nice comments that encourage the whole team and I to maintain and improve our services and facilities.

The Merville Beach is facing interesting and motivating challenges this year and as a matter of fact, our bungalow rooms have already undergone a soft refurbishment.
Very concerned about the comfort of our customers and to ensure the least disturbance possible, we are progressing slowly but surely in our soft refurbishment campaign of deluxe, Superior and standard rooms.

Thank you for recognising Khalida and the whole team, I shall pass on to them your kind remembrance.

With renewed thanks for trusting Merville Beach and looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too far distant future.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have stayed at the Merville Beach Hotel in Grand Baie in Mauritius 4 times. Every visit an unforgettable experience. The staff are friendly and helpful. Although the hotel could do with an update, it still offers value for money. It is situated within walking distance to Grand Baie and the harbour. The last time we celebrated a birthday and were treated like royalty with a lovely cake and flowers. Will definitely return to this establishment on one of the most beautiful beaches in Mauritius.

Room Tip: Ensure that you get a room with a seaview. We stayed on the 3rd floor and the view was stunning.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RONE866

Mauritius Island 29 April, 2013

Sir/Madam,

It was indeed a pleasure welcoming you back to Merville Beach and I am delighted to read that you were generally satisfied with your recent stay.

The whole team and I are touched by the pleasing comments on our services and can assure you that no stone will be left unturned at Merville Beach in our efforts to continuously strive in helping people celebrate life.

In the meantime, rest assured of our hospitality at all times.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Finding a good hotel in Mauritius looks like a real task after reading all the varied reviews, including the ones for Merville. However, we could not have made a better pick. We stayed here for 7 nights in April on bed & breakfast. The place was just right!!!
What makes this place perfect is the fact they have their own private beach. It is not on the main Grand Bay beach but just around the corner. The pool, restaurant and bar all face the beach so you have a constant view of the sea.
We got a standard room which was very spacious and clean. No complaints here, but it looks like the rooms will need a bit of renovation soon, which i think they are already doing on the 3rd floor.
The staff....don't know what to say "Absolutely Amazing". From the front desk (Brinda) to the restaurant (Kailash) everyone was great. Always ready to help and did everything to make our stay pleasant.
I guess it also helped that we WON the raffle prize at the management cocktail on Friday night. They gave breakfast on the beach...lunch tepanyaki....sea food dinner on the beach...free bottle of wine and a day at the SPA....all on the house!!! Can't get better than that.
I travel quite a bit and know value for money....this was it.
To sum up, you won't go wrong here. The food, service and hotel are JUST RIGHT!

Room Tip: The main building rooms are a little old, but under renovation I believe. Upgrade to the garden sui...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Africa007
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Sir/Madam,

We wish to thank you for choosing Merville Beach for your holiday in Mauritius although we have understood it was not an easy task for you.

The team and I are indeed very happy to read your pleasant comments which can only motivate us to maintain, moreover to improve our services.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back to Mauritius and Merville beach.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have just returned from our second visit to Merville Beach, the first was 10 years ago, we got married at the hotel and went back to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Ahead of our visits, I was a little apprehensive that the hotel would not live up to expectations, as our first trip was very memorable. I am pleased to say that my apprehension was short lived. As soon as we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by Nelam (?), provided with a refreshing drink, which was well needed and refreshing towels, our luggage was taken to our room for us.

Our room was very nice, just as we remembered it - so agree with some of the previous comments that decor is slightly dated. However, as we didn't spend much time in the room, it was fine and everything was there, which included minibar - which was replenish daily, hair dryer and complimentary toiletries.

Food was superb and there was certainly a wide choice, and if you didn't like anything from the buffets there was an a la carte menu to choose from. Our favourite buffet was Indian and Italian. Restaurant staff were very attentive, polite and nothing was too much trouble.

We were on the all inclusive menu and there was a wide variety of 'local' drinks/cocktails to choose from. Bar staff were very polite and friendly, especially Kumar, he remembered our room number and our drink choices. Vikram made us Cocktails which weren't included on the all inclusive menu, they were amazing, although expensive however we didn't mind treating ourselves to them - the hotel have to make their money so how!

Other good points to note -

Spa is certainly worth a visit and i can highly recommend the body scrub.

Beach towels are provided and are of a good size.

Wifi access can be purchased at the resort.

Following actives were available from the beach hut free of charge - water skiing, windsurfing, pedal boats, snorkelling, to name a few.

Walking distance to Grand Baie centre/shops

Things which need to be reviewed/updated

Dress code for men - as part of the hotels dress code, men were asked not to wear shorts in the evening - which was rather frustrating especially when there were females wearing shorts and people wearing jeans and trainers -which in my view are very scruffy! And if shorts were worn by men in the evening some, but not all, were asked to go and changed and on two different occasions we witness very heated discussions between staff and guest when they refused to change - not nice to witness when we were eating my evening meal. My point is that if females are allowed to wear shorts and jeans and trainers are acceptable then so should tailored shorts.

Signing for bills when on the inclusive package - every time we ordered beverages/food that were included on the all inclusive package we had to sign for it. On average I was probably signing 10 receipts a day, which was very frustrating as each bill showed £0.00, each receipt contained 4 bits of paper which isn't very 'green'/good for the environment, especially when in the rooms you were asked to think about the environment for things such as changing the towels!

Overall a fantastic holiday and we are looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cgourlay
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Mauritius Island 20 April 2013

Sir,

Please allow me first of all to thank you for your fidelity and patronage towards Merville Beach specially on the occasion of your 10th wedding anniversary.

We are so touched by the pleasing comments on our services and can assure you that no stone will be left unturned at Merville Beach in our efforts to continuously help people celebrate life.

Your advice and suggestions are invaluable in helping us to serve you better however, please allow me to comment on the following:

Dress code in the evening
It is a fact that long trousers are de rigueur for men in the evening and feel really sorry that this information was not communicated to you upon your reservation. Although we would not mind reviewing the dress code policy, which we did in the past, but please understand that we received so many negative comments then, from other guests that we had no choice but to reinstate the existing policy.

Signing of bills when on the inclusive package
This is purely due to internal audit and control procedures; however, you may be right we could see other ways so as to reduce paper consumption.

With many thanks for trusting us once again and looking forward to see you, hopefully on your 11th wedding anniversary.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Had spent 7 nights at Merville Beach in 2009 for a friends wedding, had a fantastic time then. Husband wanted to return for his 50th in April. We stayed for 13 nights this time and my husband had a fantastic birthday. The staff are fantastic so helpful and friendly. You have to have the afternoon pancakes! Booked excursions through Jeane Paul on the beach as much cheaper than going through rep, we were apprehensive however they were great trips. We would highly recommend speed boat trip and catamaran trip with topcat, great food. Tony the manager was always around asking about my husbands sunburn and if we were enjoying ourselves.

The staff at the bar and all the other areas are so hard working, nothing is to much trouble. How anyone can complain I have no idea, just book and go you wont be disappointed. We wish we were still there. We returned home 6th April. My only advice would be to fly with Emirates.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking pool and beach perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Mauritius Island 16 April, 2013

Madam,

Thank you for your return visit to Mauritius and Merville beach, moreover on the special occasion of your husband’s 50th birthday.

Your kind words are very comforting for the team and without further ado I shall communicate your message to them.

The team and I do appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to Merville Beach, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

3rd time in Mauritius recently but this time at the Merville Hotel, with our family from australia. We had a smashing time. Could not fault the staff, every one from top to bottom were very polite and friendly. My wife and I had a beach front bungallow with lovely view.The beach was fantastic and plenty of watersport all free. The food was diverse, so something for every one.
we would recomend The Merville Hotel to anyone. We hope to go back again. Big thank you to Tony Duval the general manager.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Mauritius Island 16 April, 2013

Sir/Madam,

The team and I were indeed very happy to have you with us for the 3rd time, moreover to see that you have thoroughly enjoyed your holiday.

I shall without delay announce the good news to the team who I have no doubt will be very grateful for the encouraging message.

We cannot wait to see you back and do not hesitate to contact me in case you need assistance for your future reservation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Baie
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Merville Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!