“great 2 weeks”

Merville Beach Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Grand Baie
Reviewed December 30, 2012

my mum and dad took me here for my 40th birthday they have been here many times and is like a second home to them. we was put in the main hotel which was in need of up dating but the view was great . There was no kettle which was the first time in 15 years of travelling i asked the restaurant manger and there was one on my room in 10 min' with tea coffee and fresh milk any time i needed any it was replaced .we was enjoying the holiday until the room next door had a young family moved in and the cote was set up next to the adjoining door which made us closer to the baby than the mother and father was so after a night with no sleep we made a complaint and was moved with in 10 min and upgraded to the bungalows which was great way to finish the holiday
the boat house was great done more on this holiday than any other even took me out on my own to see the reef.they also showed me how to sail which was amazing time.
we spent most of the days on the beach and Neil the beach waiter sorted us out with drinks all day he would normally come to us as soon as he started his shift and see if we was OK before he finished
Top tip there is a private boat operator on the beach called Robert we went out on his day trip only 4 of us but what a great day his BBQ on a island was the best ever we all went to bed early that night as we was all drunk and full belly's.
The restaurant is good the one night that was hot and spicy i ask if there was any thing else and they made me a plain chicken dish which was amazing . i have seen the reviews which say its expensive we was all exclusive but did think the prices was high. we had a grate meal on the beach one night very romantic. on mine and my mothers birthday they made us a cake and give us a bottle of wine.
The bad points the hotel needs to be up dated old part is showing its age. the restaurant needs to be bigger was OK in June but could see problems at busy time of the year the pool is not t the biggest but the beach A1. There is not much for children to do but the staff try there best.
The good points staff are great they all knew our names on the 2nd day. when i ever had a problem it was sorted very quickly. The location is only 10 min walk from town and the beach only had a few beach sellers unlike the main beaches. The day entertainment was OK we kept on missing it as they didn't go around telling us or trying to drag us up the night entertainment was good and varied.
The one bit of advice is if you have a problem tell them and they will do there best to sort it out

Room Tip: the bungalows are great on size and quiete
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

08 January, 2013

Sir/Madam

Thank you for staying with us during your recent stay in Mauritius and for taking the time to comment on your holiday.

We have well noted your comments with regards to the rooms in the main building being dated but we hope you have found these rooms well maintained. I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that the bungalow rooms, deluxe rooms and superior rooms are gradually being refreshed in case you might wish to prefer one of these categories in the future.

Thank you for recognising some members of the team and I shall without delay communicate your charming message to them.

Meanwhile, we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again to Merville beach.

Tony Duval

Write a ReviewReviews (2,548)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I took the family for a Christmas break at Merville Beach Hotel from 23 to 26 December 2012. I must admit that this was not our first choice hotel, but we could not find accommodation for the family for this period at LUX Belle Mare, which for me is one of the best resorts on the island. We were not very lucky with the weather, but the staff was very nice and did their utmost to get us two communicating rooms, since our girls are only 5 and 6. We had two lovely rooms in a chalet-style thatched bungalow, nice bathrooms, two large plasma tv, good air-conditioning. However, on the last day we had to move to a 'family' room, same style, but with only one bathroom and one small 20-inch old-style television....the kids were NOT happy....they did not have their own tv and channels to watch...the sound was awful, even at maximum you had to be close to hear something. In this age of plasma/LCD/LED television sets I think this is simply unacceptable from a prestigious hotel. The other downside is the restaurant, there is only one restaurant for the whole hotel, so no other choice but the buffet lunches or dinners, the quality of the food was very average, to say the least. There was no kids menu or special menus for the kids, except for a pizzeria but which is not open every day.The size of the restaurant needs to be increased to cater for all the residents, when the hotel is fully booked like during the end of year period.
Overall a good hotel, nice staff, but can be improved in some aspects, specially for families with younger children.

Room Tip: Rooms in the individual bungalows, in the tropical garden, are great. However, some are too close to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Our arrival in Mauritius was on 13th December, 2012. We arrived very late at the hotel but the staff were very welcoming and ushered us quickly into the dinning room before the kitchen closed. They were awaiting our arrival and nothing was too much of a problem for them. After dinner we were taken to our room. We were in the main block, had a lovely sea facing room on the third floor with a beautiful view. The rooms are spacey with huge comfortable beds, bar fridges, bathrooms and balconies. We felt that the amount of time one spends in their room (which is very little) they are more than adequate, clean and comfortable. We were happy being in the main block. The garden apartments have very few rooms with a view. The cleaning staff were also very friendly and honest. The bathrooms are a little tired and need revamping but were adequate and workable. The passages are also a little run down.
The beach is lovely ..... On both sides. The Boathouse staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. Free water sports include snorkeling, glass bottom boats, pedal boats, kayaks etc. Sun loungers were always available. The beach hawkers are friendly and do not harass you. If you say no once they leave you alone. They are also noticeable in their uniform.
The food is adequate. We decided to go half board which was fine for us as you only finish breakfast late and certainly don't need lunch after that. The only complaint was that there could have been museli - the rest was fine. Dinner - every night is a themed evening. The buffet certainly might not be for everyone's liking but there must be one dish that you can enjoy. It is nice to try different food and I certainly ate stuff that I had never eaten before and most probably won't eat again ..... That's what holidays are all about especially if you are in a different country. The kitchen was obliging if you had a big problem with the meal ...... I saw another couple getting alternate food. Besides the buffet you can order from the set menu. If you are also a fussy eater rather go for the b&b option and eat at one of the many restaurants in Grand Baie where you have many options.
The staff are FANTASTIC and friendly. Never have we felt so warmly received at a resort as we did at Merville.
I enjoyed the Spa treatment at Lux Me ...... A massage almost on the beach with the sound of the lapping waves ..... Very relaxing. We also enjoyed the steam room and sauna.
The nicest thing about Merville is its proximity to Grand Baie .... Walking distance. The first 200m is a bit dangerous as the road is very narrow but thereafter, pavements. The bus stop is also close and a good experience to catch the local bus .... We went to Cap Maleruaux.
I will definitely recommend and would like to return to this wonderful piece of paradise.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Sir /Madam,

Thank you for staying at Merville Beach and for your constructive comments.

It is a fact that we do not provide muesli on breakfast buffet, however we are happy to say that it will, in future, be considered as an add to the different cereal offered at breakfast time.

With renewed thanks for recommending Merville Beach and looking forward to welcoming you back to our shores.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

First the good points - the staff are absolutely outstanding, work incredibly hard and put a lot of hours in but are always friendly and provide top class service with a smile. Although the standard rooms in the main block do need upgrading they are comfortable and are kept immaculately clean. The beach is in a lovely spot, most of the time we could get a sun lounger with shade.
Now for the not so good points - the hotel was overcrowded and as the week went on it got progressively worse. The buffet restaurant does not have enough space for the amount of guests staying at the hotel, as the week went on more and more rows of dinner tables were added by the pool and as most of the buffet food was the other side of the pool, on more than one occasion my wife nearly took a swim in her evening dress. The restaurant somehow needs extending away from the pool. On the daily themed buffet nights the staff put an awful lot of effort into dressing up the restaurant and tables but the food frankly didn't match our expectations, it would have been better to concentrate on local food with a couple of French and British dishes cooked well. In a nutshell the title of this review says it all!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mudlark74
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

28.12.12

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Mauritius and for taking the time and trouble to comment your stay.

Your charming words towards the team members are very much appreciated and I shall pass on the message to them.

Owing to the fact that we have 169 rooms available and our challenge is to sell the hotel at its maximum capacity, it is true that particularly during school holidays, we may, sometimes, reach a house count of 400 guests.
We do understand that the food provided on the buffet cannot be to everyone’s liking, thus explaining the reason why there is a black board at the entrance of the restaurant with a table d’hote menu proposal for the following evening. This facility is offered in addition to the buffet free of charge and may be ordered as as many time as required by a guest during his whole stay, I feel really sorry if you did not notice it or if it was not communicated to you.

Meanwhile, we hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you back and do not hesitate to contact me personally if I may be of any help whatsoever.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We've spent 7 days at the hotel and we just loved it. Honestly we were very surprised by the welcoming and friendly staff.
It is extremely clean,( the staff are always around cleaning). We really enjoyed walking around and observing the plants.
A little disappointing was the massage, not what we expected after we wrote down on the questonaire the kind of massage we would like to have, and we got the impression that the staff in the SPA were not so happy that we booked the massages.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Umag83
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

18 December, 2012

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to relate your Mauritius experience.

We are very pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your holiday with us but feel sorry that you were disappointed with the services offered by the SPA. Your comments have been analysed with the SPA Manager and rest assured that appropriate actions will be taken where required.

Meanwhile, we hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you back to Mauritius in the near future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have spent fantastic 10 days at Merville hotel. I travel to Mauritius to walk with lions and enjoy water sports on the beach while my second half were taking sun bath on the beach. These were my objectives for the trip, which exceeded my expectations. Let's start from the beginning.
HOTEL
We were placed on third floor in second room from the beach side. we had brilliant view when waking up and even better on afternoon during sunset. Hotel it's in good condition with exceptions of corridors and bathrooms. Those places need some refurbishment. Everything else was good standard for 3*.

FOOD
I were blown away by the food in Cuba, but Merville I think beat it. Everyday of the week different cousin! Each day big variety of the food to chose from, so everyone should have no problem to find something to their taste. Chinese food was my favourite. I loved the idea of dinning on the beach for small supplementary payment. Really worth it.

STAFF
Very helpful and polite. Staff did not make me feel that their are nice to me to get tips or if they were then i have not noticed. Always smile on the face. Need to remember that in Mauritius time goes slowly, so there is no rush to get drinks or food. Europeans remember to slow down and relax ;-)

BEACH
Like most people I look on the beach quality. Merville beach is not big one like in Kenya or Cuba, but big enough with nice charm, especially during sunsets! Great soft sand, calm water as the hotel in bay, so no waves. This is however advantage for those willing to sail, windsurf or use water ski. Guys from watersport section had to hate me by the time I was leaving as I was on kayak, laser boat and water ski daily. I must to admit that this ticked a lot of boxes. Those activities made me occupied for days. I can recommend hotel to people, which like to be active while on holiday.

OTHER
I love big cats, so Walking with Lion was must for me. I got engaged on Mauritius, but I think we both talk more about walk then about engagement;-) that how impressive it is. Cost around £65 pp, but worth the money.
We had rented car for 3 days, so went around the island. I need to admit that the best beaches had no access as there were hotels or private houses build, but still plenty to see. I can recommend La Vanilla Park, Richmond waterfalls (watch out for big spiders between trees), Tour Aux cerf creater and Le Barachoise restaurant. This is my place in Mauritius. If somebody asked me, where I like the most then I say Le Barachoise, lovely decor, peaceful surroundings, delicious food. We spend there great few hours. You can find it, If you drive east cost B28 towards Mahebourg, just after Pointe Du Diablo. Highly recommended.
Renting a car - need to be careful with pedestrians as you will quickly notice that they tend to get on the road in least expected place and time. Dusk in Mauritius is early as 18.30 and driving especially through local roads become reall challange to do not kill somebody. You can forget about lights on the street, people wearing reflective vest or cars and bikes with fully working lights. I planned my trip incorrectly on the first day I must say it was though and dangerous. Early start of any car trip is must, so around 17.00 you can start heading back to hotel.
GRAND BAY - any west coast or grand bay location is good. Difference between East and West? east you have hotel and little around, where on west cost is more likely there is civilisation around ;-) Also When we landed there was dark clouds and rain around airport and midlands. We were surprised when we got closer to west cost, because there was nearly clear sky. I have experience the difference in the wind, which a lot people talks about. I have to say the wind were much stronger on east side, but with high temperature it was pleasant wind. It would be however different experience if temperature been below 25C.

Summarise I loved my holidays on Mauritius and Merville, because I have selected what I wanted. Peace of advise to people choosing hotel is to compare hotel with yours expectations.

PS: Don't exchange money in hotel. It's rip off. £1 in hotel 40.7 rupee. in comparison in Grand bay, 20 min walk or 5min/£3 in taxi and you can exchange money in Barclays, Thomas Cook and few other banks for £1= 48 rupee. Quick calculation on £1000: 8000 rupees difference!! (£166).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rafal C
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

03 December 2012

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for staying at Merville Beach on your recent visit to Mauritius and for taking the time to give us feedback on the hotel and the Island.

We are pleased to read that we generally met your expectations and I shall pass on your very encouraging message to the team. However, I have noted that you did not appreciate the exchange rate offered to you and rest assured that appropriate action will be taken where required.

In the meantime I look forward to welcoming you back to Merville Beach, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We chose the Merville Beach Hotel for our 3 weeks dream holiday not knowing what to expect. When we arrived, were confidently surprised by the welcoming and friendly staff. Nothing we asked for was too much. The staff were most sincere and genuine .

We occupied 5 standard rooms as there were 11 of us staying at the hotel next time we would definately book the bungalows available. My children and their cousins felt really safe on the grounds of the hotel compound. They interacted with the staff from the boathouse on a daily basis to book their activities.

We took the halfboard option this time around but, will opt for an all inclusive inclusive package next time as we found that the kids certainly did get hungry mid afternoon. We couldnt be bothered walking into town everday to grab snacks, so we just bought lunch at the resort which amounted to a fair amount after 2 weeks.

On our third week we were upgraded to a 4 star resort .It was beautiful absolutely! But, honestly it was not comparable to the service we received at Merville.

Foremost, we would like to commend Sylvio and Tony for the wonderful job they do running the hotel. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

PS.....My children havent stopped talking about their experience at Merville. We will definitely be back in the near future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

03 December, 2012

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for reserving Merville Beach during your recent holiday in Mauritius, moreover for taking the time to give us feedback of your stay.

We are happy to read that you were generally happy with us and I shall pass on your kind words to the team.

I do remember you and your very sympathetic family very well and do not hesitate to contact me personally during your next visit to Mauritius.

With renewed thanks for trusting Merville Beach and assuring you of our hospitality at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Baie
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Mauricia Beachcomber Resort & Spa

Been to Merville Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!