“Lovely location, but not for single travellers”

Merville Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Grand Baie
london
“Lovely location, but not for single travellers”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Having previously stayed here, I find the hotel looking a little tired & desperately needing a little lift.
It's in a great location, on a beautiful stretch of beach.
The staff are nice, but if you are a single traveller, i find the service differs very much & can border on an impression of rude, as i was often ignored and received very slow service. Waiting 20 minutes for a cup of tea in a morning, while at breakfast.
I think for the price there's much better hotels in the area at a cheaper cost.
Coin De Mire, Veranda Grand Baie & plenty of apartments, so I would certainly look at these next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank anniesar
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
17 November, 2012

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing Merville Beach once again for your stay in Mauritius and thank you for your valuable feedback.

However, I am deeply sorry if you felt ignored at breakfast time and I wish to assure you that I shall personally bring the matter to the relevant department heads concerned.

It is a fact that the hotel has not been refurbished recently but we do have a continuous Maintenance program in order to preserve the hotel in a perfect state. I take the opportunity to inform you that our Bungalow and Deluxe rooms are actually under a soft Refurbishment campaign and would recommend one of these rooms to you during your next stay with us.

High standards of service are of extreme importance at Merville Beach and I trust that you will find this greatly improved on future visits.

As always, I assure you of the hospitality, and assistance from all the Merville Beach team and I look forward to personally meeting up with you, on your return visit to Mauritius, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Well I got invited from my family to come to merville beach for the first time. They said this place is amazing as they have been 4 times already in 5 years..
Am 25 so to be honest I was expecting it to be a holiday for couples. I havnt had such a amazing holiday done things myself made heaps of new friends, night life was breath taking. Most of all the hotel merville beach made that even more better.
The whole staff team treated me like a royal! Like to thank tony the manager for making my holiday at merville that great! I will be coming back hopefully next year to catch up with my new friends.. Thanks again from Keith (the Scotsman)

Cheers

• Stayed November 2012
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
14 November, 2012

Dear Sir,

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at Merville Beach. Thank you for trusting us and indeed your parents for their recommendation.

We cannot wait to see you all back and do send my best regards to your lovely parents. Do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help to you.

Until, then all your Merville friends look very much forward to see you back.

Warm regards

Tony
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel for a short weeklong break in October 2012. Although the hotel is a 3* plus it is run like a 5* hotel. Service was excellent and staff went out of there way to make us comfortable. Although an older hotel, everything was clean and in good condition. Activities and nightly entertainment was excellent.
I would certainly recommend this hotel i.v.o. above and the locality, being 10 minutes from Grand Baie.

Room Tip: try and get a sea or swimming pool facing room or away from the restaurant area, which can be noisy...
1 Thank WarrenAnderson
14 November, 2012

Sir,

Thank you for staying with us together with your wife in October last. We are indeed very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and I shall certainly pass on you encouraging message to the whole team.

Meanwhile, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and assure you of our hospitality at all times.

Marsascala, Malta
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had an overall good experience at the Merville beach hotel ....hotel staff is very nice and professional! Nice welcome and smiley faces at reception, efficient f&b, good housekeeping! ....Also at the spa staff. The building itself is not outstanding but one must keep in mind this is a three star - superior. This applies to the rooms too. Bathrooms need updating. However the hotel is set on a pretty beach and has many rooms with ocean views. Nice garden.
We stayed at the Merville for 6 nights and we had a different themed buffet all the night ...I am not usually a buffet fan but found this quite exciting ......the food was very good. There is evening entertainment but it is a bit sloppy and most people go back to their rooms by 9.30pm - 10pm. On Saturday evening there is an option to dine on the beach and have a lobster fest. The layout and dinner where great ....however it was nearly spoiled for us by all the rushing of the service staff! ...Empty plates where removed from under us while still munching our last bite and the next place instantly served .....this is not a good way of service during a Saturday night dinner on the beach! We had a four course meal in an hour or so! And while we where eating our last course all the decor was being taken down in front of us, candles blown off and tables and chairs carried in....before 10pm!! Every respectable place in my country does not even dream of doing such thing! What a pity! I don't know about the rest of the world but Europeans like to spend at least 3 hours over a dinner like that. I understand it was Saturday night and the young staff are looking forward to go party in Gran Baie but its a shame!
My husband and I went for a full body massage at the spa. The decor itself is noting special but all the rest was very nice .... very nice staff, very good massage. Value for money.
We highly appreciated the free calls to home Merville offers each guest! Thumbs up for this Merville! Thank You! Other hotels should take example of this!
We also loved the free water sports activities offered!
So till now I should have given Merville a higher rating .....but I cannot since some good things are balanced out with other negative ones.
There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room....you can call and have a tray delivered to your room.....but than you are charged for every single little packet of coffee, tea or milk that you use!
The charge on laundry is phenomenal!
Beverages at buffet expensive for this standard of hotel.
The cocktails at the bar are mediocre and expensive ...... this always dampens our holiday :).

So to conclude, I believe that if you are looking for a hotel to use as a base for your
travels around the north of the island, Merville is a good option. If you are wanting a hotel to stay in and spend plenty of time in, I will suggest looking around before booking Merville.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VeveMalta
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
03 November, 2012

Madam,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give us feedback on your holiday at Merville Beach. We are happy to read that you were generally satisfied with the facilities offered but feel sorry that, during the lobster dinner on the beach, you were disappointed with the rapidity of the service as well as the removal of the decoration while you had not finish dinner. Your comments and suggestions have been analysed and discussed by our team and rest assured that appropriate actions will be taken where required.
We do provide tea coffee facilities in deluxe and bungalow rooms for all inclusive guests but there is a nominal charge of Rs 50. ( aprox 1 £) for half board guests. As regards to the beverage prices I would like to point out that the same mark up percentage is practiced in most of the 3 or 4 star hotels of the island.

With renewed thanks for your comments that will help us to maintain and improve our services and facilities and hope you will give us the pleasure to welcome you once again to Merville Beach.

Sheffield
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have just returned from a fabulous two week holiday at the Merville Beach Hotel. We arrived late at night, very tired, but was greeted by a sea of smiling faces, a welcome drink and a hot towel. We had booked a standard room but had decided beforehand that if we were not satisfied with our allocated room we would upgrade to a superior room. This was not necessary. We stepped out onto our balcony at 7.30 the following morning to a fantastic sea view plus a view of the gardens with the most amazing array of coloured birds in a nearby tree. We cannot praise the staff in this hotel highly enough. The manager, Mr Tony Duval, makes a point of introducing himself and his deputies to all his guests. Not a day went by without one or other of the staff asked us if everything was ok and if there was anything we needed.The staff in the boathouse were a delight, remembered our names and always had a laugh and a joke with us.I was celebrating a special birthday and was totaly surprised, as was my husband, to be presented after our evening meal with a beautiful cake and the staff singing to me. We could go on and on but will just agree with all the praise in previous reviews. We have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world but have rarely returned home with such a warm feeling about a place. A big thank you to all the management and staff for our perfect holiday.

Room Tip: If you book a standard room ask for the top floor which have better views.
6 Thank Happytravellers035
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
27 October, 2012

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for trusting Merville beach for your stay in Mauritius and we are happy to read that you were generally delighted during your holiday.

I have passed on your encouraging kind words to the Team Members who are very much appreciative and thankful, your praises can only motivate us to maintain and further improve our services.

In the meantime the whole team joins mean in wishing you all the best and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to our shores.

Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Myself and my partner travelled to the Merville beach from 2nd Oct to 13th Oct 2012 and we are very glad we picked this hotel. On arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink and a hot towel. Very nice touch after a long flight. In the room we were given a bottle of bubbly, a t-shirt and a sarong. They also turn down your beds every night. The staff are wonderful and make you feel like you are the only guest in the place. They make a point of remembering your name which a very nice touch especially as the hotel was very busy.
We had a deluxe beachfront room in the main building. After reading the reviews prior to leaving the UK I was hoping to get one of the deluxe rooms in the new annex however I needn't have worried. Although it may not be as modern as the newer building it is clean with plenty of storage space but the best bit had to be the view. As we were at the front the balcony was much bigger than all the others with a clear view of the entire beach. The seaview rooms in the new building do not have as good a view and seem to be obscured a little by the trees. The cleaners did a very good job in the rooms and were always friendly.
The only issues we had was during the second week when the hotel was at full occupancy, we could no longer get hot water so had to wait some time for it to warm up or we just had a cold bath/shower and also the wiring was a bit temperamental. When you turned one of the lamps on the air con came on and when you switched the other lamp on you had to tap it a few times for it to work. We didnt make too much of a deal about this though as I did not want to move rooms!
The beach was lovely and there were always sun loungers available no matter what time we went. I have to give a mention to the boat house staff too as they were fantastic. We took a few trips with them and would highly recommend them. You do get a few regular beach hawkers but the majority of them are really nice and are just trying to make a living.
The food was great with lots of choice and the chefs were always smiling and very friendly. We were late to dinner one night and they had run out of the barbecued beef so the chef went and cut me a few pieces and brought them over to me when he had cooked them.
Kailash and the gang in the restaurant where fantastic they all work really hard yet still have time for a smile and a chat. The reception staff too were fab and again will go out of the way to help you. If you want any advice or have any questions just ask them. We happened to mention to one staff member Kevin that we were thinking of hiring a car and we had asked at a few places in grand baie and the cheapest we could get was 2000 rupees per day. Kevin called up ara tours and managed to get a car for 1600 rupees per day. He also called round all the places we wanted to visit and helped book us in!
I would recommend this place to anyone and I am hoping to return to mauritius in 2 years time and will defo be staying at the Merville beach.
Thank you to everyone who helped make this holiday the trip of a lifetime :)

Room Tip: Would recommend the sea view rooms its worth the extra money
4 Thank Scooby125
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
19.10.2012

Sir/Madam,

It was indeed a pleasure to have you staying with us during your recent visit to Mauritius, moreover to see that you have enjoyed the 10 nights spent in this little corner of the world.

We regret that you could not get hot water for some days however, should you had inform us it would have allowed the engineer to locate the failure and resolve it immediately. Thank you for informing us about the electricity issue in the room which will be sorted out without delay.

Your kind words towards the team members have been well noted and we shall pass on the message to them.

I do remember, one morning, while stepping into the main lobby of the hotel we stopped for a chat and during the conversation you queried about the approximate cost of a car hire.

Many thanks for recommending Le Merville Beach and look very much forward to see you back in the not too far distant future.

Ware Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have just returned from a great week`s stay at the Merville. The hotel , as many guests have mentioned, is run by a great team of staff members all under the supervison of Tony, who, if he see`s you in the hotel at any point, will stop, chat and advise anything you need to know and not just a manager who wants to sit and dish out instructions to others ! Regarding the hotel, we stayed in a superior room (544) in the main block which had views over-looking the spa centre, which was amazing valve for money with a beach side massage ! (Full use and 90mins treatment appx. £100.00 for 2 people). If you have a room by the gardens like us, the evening sounds of the water-gardens frogs will amuse you....

We were on an AI basis and this IS the way too go, the drinks are shown on the drinks menu which are included and which are not , but the £4 beers and £8.00 cocktails wouls sound rack up your costs. (lunch is included in the AI option, however, if you chose pizza on the beach, this is not at appx. £7.00 great pizza tho !)

The hotel is in a great area, you can walk into town (daylight only) or take a taxi (£5.00), if a day out to Port Louis is on your agenda, take the local bus (express 215) from Grand Baie , cost 32MRP (0.80P) one way. and visit the marine area and market place.

After our first week in Dubai, this was going to be a chillout week so we have no comments on the hotel trips, however, if you want a day out to be treated like a king & queen, book the afternoon (Saturday`s only) to the horse racing. The trip costs appx. £120.00 pp, but this includes private transport to the race couse (45 mins ) a private box with appx. 20 people per box, all free drinks (champagne included) and free buffet, the box in on the winning line with full view off the course and you meet great people in your area to have a fun time - between 12.00 - 5pm - a must do even if horse racing is not your thing !

The last night, we arranged dinner on the beach and this a lovely way to end your holiday, the staff set the table up and you can either self-service from the buffet or choose the set meal which is waiter serviced, the cost is appx. £14.00 to set-up the table).

Overall, the hotel is great valve and good for all people, last week we saw three weddings, had a 30 strong under 18 South Africa boys rugby team and many familes in the hotel so, it caters for everyone. But, a special thank you to Tony and Rava (he`s the man for the horse racing) for giving us a fantasic 2012 holiday at The Merville Beach...

Ian & Glenice Whitbread (or as the lads called us in the boat house, Mr & Mrs Brownbread cause of the tan !).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IanandGlenice22
Tony D, General Manager at Merville Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
15 October, 2012

Sir/Madam.

The whole team and I were indeed very happy to have you with us during your recent stay in Mauritius, moreover to see that you have enjoyed your holiday.

Thank you for your encouraging words which I shall pass on to the team members and we all look very much forward to see you back , hopefully in the not too far distant future.

In the meantime, do rest assure of our hospitality at all times and do not hesitate to contact me personally should you need assistance whatsoever..

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Baie
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Resort
Mont Choisy Coral Azur Beach Res...
#3 of 10 in Trou aux Biches
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac

Been to Merville Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!