We have just returned from a great week`s stay at the Merville. The hotel , as many guests have mentioned, is run by a great team of staff members all under the supervison of Tony, who, if he see`s you in the hotel at any point, will stop, chat and advise anything you need to know and not just a manager who wants to sit and dish out instructions to others ! Regarding the hotel, we stayed in a superior room (544) in the main block which had views over-looking the spa centre, which was amazing valve for money with a beach side massage ! (Full use and 90mins treatment appx. £100.00 for 2 people). If you have a room by the gardens like us, the evening sounds of the water-gardens frogs will amuse you....
We were on an AI basis and this IS the way too go, the drinks are shown on the drinks menu which are included and which are not , but the £4 beers and £8.00 cocktails wouls sound rack up your costs. (lunch is included in the AI option, however, if you chose pizza on the beach, this is not at appx. £7.00 great pizza tho !)
The hotel is in a great area, you can walk into town (daylight only) or take a taxi (£5.00), if a day out to Port Louis is on your agenda, take the local bus (express 215) from Grand Baie , cost 32MRP (0.80P) one way. and visit the marine area and market place.
After our first week in Dubai, this was going to be a chillout week so we have no comments on the hotel trips, however, if you want a day out to be treated like a king & queen, book the afternoon (Saturday`s only) to the horse racing. The trip costs appx. £120.00 pp, but this includes private transport to the race couse (45 mins ) a private box with appx. 20 people per box, all free drinks (champagne included) and free buffet, the box in on the winning line with full view off the course and you meet great people in your area to have a fun time - between 12.00 - 5pm - a must do even if horse racing is not your thing !
The last night, we arranged dinner on the beach and this a lovely way to end your holiday, the staff set the table up and you can either self-service from the buffet or choose the set meal which is waiter serviced, the cost is appx. £14.00 to set-up the table).
Overall, the hotel is great valve and good for all people, last week we saw three weddings, had a 30 strong under 18 South Africa boys rugby team and many familes in the hotel so, it caters for everyone. But, a special thank you to Tony and Rava (he`s the man for the horse racing) for giving us a fantasic 2012 holiday at The Merville Beach...
Ian & Glenice Whitbread (or as the lads called us in the boat house, Mr & Mrs Brownbread cause of the tan !).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merville Beach Hotel is situated on the north-west corner of Mauritius in Grand Baie, 20 minutes from the capital , Port Louis.All 221 rooms are in the 2 wings stretching from the main building in a slightly elevated position overlooking the bay. All rooms have a magnificent sea view. Direct dialing telephones, Radio, TV-video, Mini-bar, Safe Deposit box, Hair Dryer and Private Bathroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Merville Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merville Beach Grand Baie
- Hotel Merville Beach
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius/Grand Baie
- Merville Beach Mauritius