“An amazing find and a restaurant you must visit in Grande Baie”
Review of Rivoli Restaurant

Rivoli Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 170 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Rivoli Restaurant is a cozy pleace where to spend a nice evening in a mediterranen atmosphere into the indian ocean.With is special menu changing depending of fresh and seasonal products gives you the opportunity to taste pasta, deserts and bread home made, fresh cheeses and salami from italy like burrata and stracciatella and fresh fish and meat.Plus two week end per month special events during the dinner as a theatre or magic show and many more........Il Ristorante Rivoli e un posto intimo dove spendere una bella serata in un'atmosfera mediterranea nel bel mezzo dell' oceano indiano.Con il suo menu speciale che cambia in base ai prodotti di stagione freschi, vi da l'opportunita di assaggiare pasta pane e dessert fatti in casa, formaggi e salumi importati dall'italia come per esempio la burrata e la stracciatella o se preferite pesce e carne freschi.In piu due week end al mese serate speciali di intrattenimento......
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I are on a last big holiday before our baby is born (in about 3 months). We have just stayed 5 nights in Lux Le Morne (which I will review separately) and been on half board. The whole time we've been disappointed with the food. We've now moved to the Lux Grande Gaube for our final 3 nights and elected to stay on b&b board basis. Thank goodness we did!

Just a short drive (20mins) from the hotel is Grande Baie. As we drove in there was restaurant after restaurant and none stood out or indeed looked particularly appealing. We saw Rivoli and stopped the car quite sharply. It was a bit tricky getting round the back to the car park as it's situated on a sharp turn of a main road, but it is we'll sign posted.

As we entered the restaurant we saw a beautiful, clean and very Italian look and feel. Very nice, chilled music was playing setting a lovely atmosphere. The manageress greeted us very nicely, explaining the type of food served, my favourite line being, "we don't serve Pizza, this is only Southern Italian food". I liked that because it was like she was warning us, 'don't stay unless you're ready for REAL Italian cooking.

We sat down and were given a lovely amouse bouche (sp?) and bread. The manageress then came and explained each special in detail. It was refreshing to hear her take so much pride in the food she served and also to hear it explained in near perfect English so we could fully understand.

From that point on very polite and well mannered waiters took over and we placed our order. My wife had calamari and prawn skewers to start. This was so good i had to sweet talk her to let me have as many as possible. Meanwhile I had the orchetti(think it was called this) with ragu. Such a simple dish but cooked perfectly with fresh homemade pasta and tasted Sooooo good. The my wife had spaghetti with clams in foil and this was cooked so that all the flavour in the clams infused into the spaghetti. really very tasty. I had seared tuna topped with tomatoes, olives and olive oil. I've never had tuna cooked so well and such a nice flavour.

All finished with a mocha coffee like I've never had before and a chocolate torte with chocolate ice-cream which my wife hasn't stopped talking about.

So in summary: service was excellent. Food was one of the best meals we've ever had, and definitely the best we've had in Mauritius. The manageress was very nice, very proud of her food and really interesting and nice to talk to. The restaurant was clean, very nice decor and music. The waiters were excellent.

Believe me, I am very critical, but couldn't fault it. If you at anywhere in Mauritius, make the effort to come to this restaurant. We're going back on Friday.

Hope this helps and thanks for a great meal Rivoli

1  Thank Jonathan E

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Although on a corner of the main coast road opposite the Harley Davidson shop, the patio area is a pleasant retreat. Service was pleasant, but at a leisurely Italian pace! The home made Spag vongole, had been steamed in foil, to get all the clam juice flavour infused into the pasta. My wife's fish balls looked enormous, but were light and full of flavour. The orchietti ragu was perfectly cooked, as was the seared tuna. The only slight criticism was the Tiramisu, which being served in an inverted cone shaped glass, which meant the ratio of cream/mascarpone to filling was too great, if that makes sense? We had a good bottle of Barbera D'Alba, and some rhum. At about £95, this was one of our most expensive meals on the Island outside our hotel, but it was worth it.

2  Thank martinidoc
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Me and my wife went for food here earlier tonight. Firstly the service was second to none. They couldn't have do e a better job.
We started off with some nibbles which was a nice touch while we decided what to eat, then for starters we shared a plater of mozzarela (or something similar) with focochia bread, salami and rocket salad, I mentioned my wife was a vegiterian and they were happy to put the meat on one dish and the other items on another.

For main I had fillet steak, I think this is the best fillet steak I have ever had, my wife had a lovely gnocchi in tomato sauce. We were offered desert but were simply too full to eat any more.

Compared to prices we have paid on other nights it was more expensive, but for the quality and freshened I felt it was very reasonably priced. I don't think it was any where near over priced. The menu was small but there was still a lot of choice.

Lovey people too.

2  Thank si0n3000
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were a party of six adults for dinner. Service was prompt and attentive. Managed by a husband and wife team which manifests in the quality of the food and the service. Food was tasty and well-presented. Choose from the daily specials. Quaint restaurant in an attractive setting. Fair wine selection, but, in my opinion, a little pricey. Highly recommended.

2  Thank MartinG987
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The menu was a delight to choose from. The quality of the food was superb from the starter to the dessert. The price level is what we expected to pay for such exquisite meals. Friendly staff. We'll return!

2  Thank Laura S