“good fish tartare”

La Rougaille Creole
Ranked #6 of 156 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Seafood, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“good fish tartare”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Food here was nice but not memorable. Fish tartare was tasty but the red fish for main was a little over cooked and bland. As we were leaving we saw the crab stir fry come out, as well as the lobster and both looked impressive so maybe we chose wrong. Service was good and attentive.

Visited January 2014

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service in an unassuming family restaurant”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We ate here three times because we enjoyed it do much. The poor review does not re agree with our experience. The staff were friendly and the service was fine. It gets busy because it's popular. The food was delicious and good value.

• Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID . . . Go Elsewhere - Very Bad Service”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I are seasoned travellers and this was our first trip to the Mauritius. We are always seeking great food from the place we travel and have found Trip Advisor to be an indispensable tool that is generally very accurate and reliable. I have decided that I should contribute to this valuable forum.

We went to La Rougaille Creole on both a recommendation from a local Mauritian, and after reading all the high praise on Trip Advisor. The food is indeed good, but this is spoiled by the RIDICULOUSLY SLOW and disorganised waiting staff. The restaurant is also quite hot and sticky . . . all the more reason sitting for extended periods unattended was unbearable and unacceptable. The good food does not come close to compensating for the extremely bad service.

We were seated immediately. Drinks were served and orders taken. My wife’s appetiser was served promptly (only because it was Bouillabaisse and already made). My appetiser was served 50 minutes after my wife had finished her appetiser. After I finished my appetiser, we sat unattended for an additional hour (our finished bowl and plate were still in front of us and our drinks were empty). I managed to signal to the waitress that we would like another round of drinks and this was acknowledged, but the drinks never arrived and the waitress never returned. She was running around, but doing who knows what . . . the restaurant was only ½ full and all the other diners looks equally miserable sitting there hot and unattended. What was it that the wait staff were so busy doing if they were not attending to the diners? We decided we were not prepared to wait any longer for either the waitress to come over (and bring the drinks we ordered but never received) or for our main courses to arrive. We got up and left. I can't remember the last time we walked out of a restaurant.

Having read the reviews, this restaurant does not deserve the high ratings. Good tasting food alone does not warrant a 4 or 5. The negative reviews of this place are quite accurate. I would like to give this place a 1 but that would be as inaccurate as the 4’s and 5’s, because the food is really good when it does arrive. In the end, and with all things considered, a 2 rating is very fair. Avoid this place. Save your time, money and patience and try one of the many other nearby options.

2 Thank Jon N
“We enjoyed it”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Went on the recommendation of Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. A selection of fish, Creole food and curry. Tasty, reasonably priced with good service. The only surprise was I ordered stir fried crab. It was actually a full crab split into 4/5 pieces that came with pliers for me to dissect. Not what I was expecting and very messy. However, it tasted excellent.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Very good price value balance”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Very good restaurant for good quality fish, Creole food and curry. There is a very friendly lady working there (think its the owner). We have been twice to this restaurant. First time taking curry meals, next time took the Capitaine fish. Both were very good prepared. The prices are very good for Grand Baie. The restaurant seems to be crowded every day, which is certainly not the case for most restaurants in Grand Baie.