“Pleasant surprise in the heart of Grand Baie”
Review of La Pomme d'amour

La Pomme d'amour
Ranked #9 of 156 Restaurants in Grand Baie
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Johannesburg
“Pleasant surprise in the heart of Grand Baie”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This small but special place is hidden in a busy street in the heart of Grand Baie. It was very quiet as we arrived but got busier as more people joined later in the evening. With friendly staff welcoming you the mini samoosas for starters soon arrived. All four main meals were well presented, tasteful and more than enough. The staff was very helpful and as a family we would be back to enjoy another affordable meal in Mauritius.

• Visited April 2013

• Finnish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Some of the worst food I ate on the island together with poor service”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I ate in this restaurant and have to say that the food I tasted made me sick. I tried the papaya gratin, which was undercooked and alcoholic. The owner pretended no alcohol was added but either they had put alcohol in the cream sauce and undercooked it, or they have kept the grated papaya for too long until it fermented. It was over salty and uneatable.
Same with the aumonieres de crabe recommended by Guide du Routard, a deep fried plate of pancakes dripping oil and filled with an even more greasy cream-cheese crab undefined sauce. Needless to say I almost returned all my dishes. Tastes may be different but don't go there if you are a gourmet or order something else. The owner was cold and pretentious. Of all my stay it is the first time a restaurant owner told me not to bring my bottle of water along that I carry all the time with me even at le Capitaine, for certainly not even such a high standard establishment. The only good thing I can say about it is that the owner actually had the welcome commercial move not to charge me for the green papaya disaster gratin. I really hope for them it was only a once off bad cooking or bad service or maybe they have become too complacent with their good reputation and success. I believe they can do better but they need some feedback from customers because there are much better places and more welcoming around

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank nadia z
Hermanus, South Africa
“Small restaurant in Village”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

See the locals doing their daily chores,while sitting on the outside patio. The service were good,owner attending to our table. Food was good creole food. Lots of fish/seafood options. Not top cuisine, but example of Mauritian food.
Bit daunting to find, but once youre there , its all ok. Will recommend this little gem.

• Visited February 2013
Hermanus, South Africa
“Amazing little restaurant in the heart of Residential Grand Baie”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived at the restaurant, they were still closed , but offered us outside seating.
The service was good, owner herself attended to us. food arrived in good time. Presentation is good and taste good. Nothing extraordinary.
If you don't mind eating in the middle of residential, suburbia, then this is good.
Will recommend for a taste of proper Mauritian/Creole food.

• Visited February 2013
grand baie mauritius
“Nice Restaurant”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Finally, we scucced to make a reservation to this cozy top ranking Restaurant in Grand Baie. We was served with a nice 2 cources dinner and of course it was fish on the Menu - as starter Tartar and main course Marlin Steak / Fish in Curry. Everything very fine and delicious and value for the spending. Only complaint is the location in a back road, but not a problem when taking taxa to and from the restaurant ( night time )

• Visited March 2013