“Perfect from start to finish”

Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blue Bay
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Everything was perfect from the moment we got there. The welcoming committee was warm, the rooms were great, the food was delicious, the staff was helpful and courteous. The all-inclusive feature was very much enjoyed. We had breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant Le Grand Port. There was a wide variety to please every palate. We had lunch at Sirius which has it's own pool and bar. We had dinner at Porto Vecchio which was much more formal. The food was simply delicious in all the restaurants and on our last day, we were presented with a surprise birthday cake as it was my mother's birthday. I would definitely recommend the hotel for a heavenly breakaway.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank loulou_624
Write a ReviewReviews (2,611)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Weather:
We stayed here from 9th May to 15th May and had excellent weather while we were there. I only needed a light jersey once in the evening. and that was on our last night there as a cyclone was passing the island (over the ocean, not the island).
The bay stayed a good 26 degrees Celsius, if not higher while we were there. There was minimal wind, and the sun is a safer sun than the sun in South Africa (I suspect Mauritius is not under an atmospheric hole). We took one bottle of factor 30, but my tip is take 1 bottle of factor 15 per person. We didn't get sun-burnt at all, and left with a nice light tan.

Accommodation:
We were welcomed at just after 9pm (10 min travel from airport to resort for the win!) with a welcome drink and a cold towel for our hands. We were welcomed with smiles and were given an introduction speech about the resort.
We stayed in room 113 which was a "superior room", yes with an old style TV, but who watches TV in a resort anyway?? We had our own little balcony with stairs leading to the grass which led to the beach a few steps away!
The room was perfectly situated, with a short distance to the main restaurant and bar, with only slight music filtering over at night from the entertainment, and even closer to the boat house where you book your boating and snorkeling activities etc.
The only problem with this room is the shower leaked, but our bathmat soaked it up and was replaced daily so really, it didn't bother us while we were there.
There is free wifi and an aircon in the room (16 degrees would have been nice on some nights, but it went down to 18.5 only). Mosquito plugs were provided, but if you want to sit outside on your balcony at night, take something like Tabbard.
The customizable mini bar is also cool! I miss having bottled sparkling water on hand now back home haha. Their chips/crisps taste weird though lol

Food:
Most of my photos from this honeymoon is of the food! We booked our restaurants 2 weeks in advance (new service Beachcomber is offering) and when we got there and reviewed the menus, we dropped two of them (husband is a fussy eater lol) but were happy as two other couples were able to snap up the free space. We dropped the Teak Elephant and Le Boccanier and ate at Porto Vecchio, Le Sirius (twice), and the main buffet (twice).

I love how the dress code was smart casual (jeans are ok) and that you couldn't sit in the main restaurant in your swim stuff. It kept the place classy, and you didn't have to sit on wet chairs after someone else left. Closed shoes for dinner is a must. Hubby wore nice jeans, closed shoes and various t-shirts on all nights. I would think Le Boccanier would be a more fancy restaurant, and we would have dressed up a bit more if we'd gone to that restaurant.

Drinks and canapes:
"Beachcomber", "Beachcomber", "Beachcomber"! Best. cocktail. they. have!
"Shandrani Surprise" is their second best!
"Arc-En-Ciel" is beautiful and delish!
Also try their "Blend It" cocktail. Yummy!
French Champagne by the glass in the evenings was also cool, but it wasn't my favorite.
Canapes are served at each bar while waiting for your dinner reservation. Don't be shy to request them if you see others have them and you don't.
You can order coconuts the day before and collect them to drink from the next day between 10am-5pm.

Breakfast: We woke every morning at 7am and were at breakfast at 8am every morning. The options in the main buffet are extensive, and how anyone can say its boring is beyond me! There were pancakes/crepes, flapjacks ("American Pancakes"), churros, doughnuts, pastries, 4 types of egg (omelet, scrambled, fried and poached), bacon, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, cold meats, cheese, sausages, even dessert!! If you didn't gorge yourself on everything on the first day, or are not a super fussy eater, you wont get bored! Even my hubby wasn't bored.

Lunch: a few options here, lunch at the main buffet, at Le Sirius (I think) and via the golf cart that goes around on the beach. Every day, its all different. We used the main buffet twice, and the golf cart twice, the rest of the time we ate from the "Snacks at the bar" and the pancakes at the bar between 3-5pm. These along are a meal in themselves!!

Dinner: Porto Vecchio was lovely, and we made an effort to try things we wouldn't normally get in SA. The waiters are always more keen to serve you a bottle of wine vs a glass, so I found myself with a bottle of Chateau Mazetier on most nights (very nice, sweet wine!). Hubby stuck to the cocktails :P Le Sirius was also nice, and our second time there was Mauritian Night. Do inquire about it, as its worth it! They also have a night market there, so bring your money or your cards and you can buy some stuff (cheaper than the guys on the beach or in the boutique). The main buffet, again, was extensive, and different every night. I think the only thing that repeated itself was the margarita pizza, which hubby had a slice of every night! Again, try things that aren't usually available in your hometown.

Activities:
So many things to do. We tried the glass bottom boat a few times, the snorkeling boat is VERY worth it! We kayaked, peddle boated, bicycled, and snorkeled in the bay. We didnt get around to trying the wakeboarding, etc but we didnt mind since we can do that in Cape Town with a friend anyway.
The boat house opens at 9am and you book your place on the various boats. Don't miss the snorkeling boat, as its awesome!! They take you to the Marine Park across the bay!
We of course also tanned at almost every beach (we didn't bother with the wild one, as this is what we get in Cape Town as well already) and I even was so brave to tan topless for a brief while on the little beach between the main and Le Sirius beach, much to hubby's delight.
We rented a bike for an hour (2 hours per day allowed) but didn't quite make it to the village lol we're clearly unfit!

Service:
The service was excellent, and coming from SA, I felt weird not tipping, but we didn't see anyone else tipping either, so we soon felt less odd about it. In fact, another couple said they tipped and the service got worse haha!
The bar staff are lovely, the room service was prompt for most of our stay (last two days they only got to our room late in the afternoon), and the waiters are efficient and friendly.

Tips:
My tips are the following:
Buy your snorkel stuff and bring it with you (hygiene is great there, but I felt weird about using someone else's snorkel so we brought our own). You can use their flippers on the snorkel boat.
Book your massage(s) early! If you cant decide which spa to use, I recommend the Wellness spa!
Bring an underwater camera, or buy their underwater goggles camera.
Get a receipt from any purchases in the boutique as the vat claim at the airport require an invoice from the boutique. We put it on the room charge and brought that receipt but they wouldn't accept it.
Bring gym clothes if you want to use the gym (sounds obvious, but I forgot so I thought I'd put it here so others wouldn't :P)
Bring Tabbard or other outdoor mosquito repellant (also use if you're having a spa treatment in the evening). No malaria problems, but their mozzies are hungry!
We booked an entry level room, even though we were honeymooners, and we spend very little time in our room and the time we did spend in it, we were thankful we were so close.
Don't be afraid to let the bar guys bring you a surprise cocktail! I recommend the Beachcomber and the Shandrani Surprise from the menu (our standard fare most of the time :P) but they also make an awesome Planter's Punch if you ask for it!
If you're used to the sun, take 1 bottle of Factor 15 per person. I saw quite a few burnt UK people, so maybe take Factor 30+ if you're from the UK. Whilst its hot, its a different kind of heat.
If you can attend Mauritius Night, book it! And bring your wallet! We bought all our souvenirs from the night market (and Rs600 on the beach for a necklace, vs Rs350 for the same necklace at the night market). Its also a little better selection than you'll find in the local trinket stores at the airport.
Bikes are fun to rent, but try work up your fitness level before your stay lol it'll help :P
Expect to come home a few kg heavier. You eat and eat and eat while you're here, and there is something for everyone.

All in all, we loved the vibe here. The aeroplanes taking off and landing were fun to watch, and not a disturbance at all (in fact, the weird monkey noise from the speakers at lunch time was more annoying in the main restaurant haha).

We will definitely be coming back to Shandrani! We had a wonderful honeymoon there!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rat_Tails
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have been here on AUG 2012.
Its a perfect site for an occasion like wedding or honeymoon.
Absolute perfect services, fabulous meals, free time activities etc...
RECOMMEND this paradise by 100%
Enjoy and have a good time here like we had!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zdenda Beasty B
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent the last 8 nights of our honeymoon here and the best thing about it was the food! I think you have higher expectations than any normal holiday when you are on honeymoon so bear that in mind!

Negatives - large resort, better suited to families. We wanted all inclusive so chose here and have no regrets at all but if we were only going to Mauritius for honeymoon and not SA aswell we would of chosen a more intimate resort as plenty of families there.
They cancelled our catamaran excursion twice due to bad whether however we hired one of their private speedboats out ( a must do!) with another couple on our last day and saw plenty of catamarans out. Evening entertainment was poor.

Good points - Free watersports, 5 fantastic restaurants where the food & service was superb, just 15 minutes from the airport - the planes flying over are hardly noticeable so don't let that put you off. Great gym & 9 hole golf course and the Clarins spa was 5*

Overall a fantastic place to stay to explore the island

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank NicoleMaples
Reviewed May 12, 2013

One month ago we travelled for the third time in Mauritius and in Shandrani. It's an amazing hotel with something for everybody! The all inclusive package is such a fantastic help, especially for families with kids. If you do not want to eat every night in the main restaurant i suggest you make booking for the other ones immediately after arrival. We loved Le Sirius..for its people, for the poolside, for atmosphere.

A big hug and a big thank you for everybody in Le Sirius, especially for Shan and Sajaan. My daughter miss them so much and their cocktails too :) (so am i )

Shandrani is very close to the airport which is a very nice thing, you can see the airplanes and you arrive quickly to the hotel after a long flight.

Shandrani have 3 beaches which is unique in Mauritius, from what i know. Enjoy and explore them, they are truly amazing, especially the wild one.

The greatest thing for me in Shandrani is the SPA. For the third time i was going there every day and i was trying almost everything. It's a bliss, the personel are out of this world and the places (two) are designed so carefully. A special thanks to my friend Jerry!!

I want to say thanks to Charlot, our boat driver ( Black Pearl) for an amazing day! Highly recommend him!

All in all, Shandrani is my home. They make you feel like you are the most special person in the world! I will return in 2015 and i really can't wait!

Thank you for making my holiday perfect, Shandrani!

Room Tip: Ground floor close to Le Sirius
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura_S091
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I am writing this review as I sit in the business lounge at the International airport in Mauritius, waiting for my flight back to South Africa. My wife and I just spent an awesome 7 nights at Shandrani. It really was a magic time from when we arrived until we left - we were made to feel very special at all times and as so many of the reviews have indicated, the staff were always friendly, helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.

We had a superior room, which we found to be spacious and more than comfortable. I do agree that the rooms are possibly in need of an upgrade in the future as the furnishings are looking bit outdated and the old style box tv should be replaced with a decent sized flat screen TV as well. However, we did not come to Shadrani to spend our holiday in our room and the TV is the least important thing as well. We both slept extremely well every night and really cannot complain about the accomodation.

The food was outstanding at all times - find it strange that people can actually complain about the food and lack of variety for the buffet breakfasts. Sure, the breakfasts tended to be the same every morning, but with the massive variety, I am not sure what else a person could actually add to the list that wasn't already catered for. We enjoyed all the restuarants, but found Porto Vecchio to be the best. A lot of people seem to rate Sirius the best but this was not our experience. They do however change the menu's every week, so maybe the options that Sirius had were not to our liking as much as that of Porto Vecchio, while we were there - however, as mentioned, all the meals were top quality and no reason to complain about.

As for all the activities, we were kept busy all the time.... loved the sailing - Francois was awesome in giving us a lesson and thereafter we were off on our own on the Hobie Cats - so much fun. Maybe Shandrani can organise more wind for us next time though :-)

We loved the snorkeling, golf, beaches, pools and free drinks all day long. We also took an organised trip to the markets in Mahebourg on mountain bikes which was a lot of fun - thanks to Patrick for the trip!

Any negatives? Not really anything to complain about at all and I do think that you have to be a really hard person to seriously find fault with Shandrani - we loved every minute of our time and look forward to coming back again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meat82
Reviewed May 7, 2013

we go to le shandrani almost every summer for a few days.
excellent hotel. great staff. kid-friendly.

all inclusive package is a bliss.......as kids are hungry 24/7

i usually ask for a room on ground floor, and almost everytime i got it. The restaurants are very tasty. kids love le sirius which is a poolside restaurant. i just order their food, put it on one of the poolside table , and they come and eat when they want.......all wet and dripping .

Room Tip: if travelling with kids, request a ground floor room.....so much easier.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Khalruub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blue Bay
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!