We stayed at this hotel for a week. It is rated a 5* hotel, but really falls short of that. The rooms are average and a little tired. There wasn't even a shower cap in the room! We were in a superior beacfront room.
The food was okay overall. The breakfast buffet (the only dining option for breakfast) became very tedious as there was no variation from day to day. They were also slow to replenish stock when the disches were empty.
The lunch buffet was more varied.
Of the other restaurants, the Teak Elephant was by far the most interesting and tasty, despite the set menu. The "gastronomic restaurant" had good flavours and was once again a set menu, but don't go hungry!
The wine list for the restaurants (available ONLY at mealtimes) was good and we enjoyed trying new wines from different regions. At the bar however, the wine by the glass was far inferior and not to be recommended. They could do with improving their wine selection there. The waitpersons were also not particularly knowledgeable about the wines on offer, either in the bar or in the restaurant. You would think that for a 5* establishment there would be a little more training!
The whole body aromatherpay massage I had was very disappointing. No pressure to speak of, and not therapeutic. In essence for an hour I was just drenched in oil and it was just rubbed all over my body in a haphazzard fashion. Maybe I just had an unskilled therapist, but again not what yu would expect from a 5* resort! I was also bitten by what I presume was mosquitoes. 5 bited in 1 hour- not bad! I think they need some pest control!
The loungers on the beach were well maintained. The drinks cart that came round from time to time was a bonus.
Staff were friendly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LUXURY HOLIDAYS IN MAURITIUS FOR BEACH AND NATURE LOVERS Located in the unspoilt south region of Mauritius, Shandrani is a welcoming five-star resort with a lively vibe. Set on a private peninsula lapped by the Blue Bay Marine Park rich in sea life, Shandrani has three different beaches to discover. A short boat ride inshore takes you to the famous Ile aux Aigrettes nature reserve. When it comes to sports and leisure, the resort has something for everyone. A range of land and water sports is at hand including water-skiing and golf (the hotel features a 9-hole Par 29, "pitch & putt" golf course). A sailing school and a diving centre affiliated to PADI will delight all sports enthusiasts. Other facilities include a spa and a wellness centre, both associated to the world-renowned Clarins brand. Four restaurants invite you to sample sumptuous dishes served with a choice of fine wines. At Shandrani Resort & Spa, enjoy relaxing holidays in peaceful surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shandrani Hotel Blue Bay
- Shandrani Hotel Mauritius
- Shandrani Blue Bay
- Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa Mauritius/Blue Bay