We got married/honeymooned at the Maritim in November 2008.
The arrival at the hotel was amazing. After a very long flight (12hrs) and transfer it was like landing in Paradise (although I had a strange feeling of guilt after seeing the poverty of some parts of the island during the transfer). You are instantly greeted with a cold towel, fresh pineapple cocktail and breathtaking view of the Indian ocean through the open lobby.
The food was excellent, we were constantly impressed. We tried so many new fruits, vegetables and dishes whilst we were there - never eating the same meal twice. Most of the food is grown on the island, they are very self-sufficient and it was always extremely fresh, much of it cooked/prepared in front of you. We travelled with both sets of parents and they were equally as impressed as we were. A huge variety of choice for all 3 mealtimes.
We ate our wedding breakfast at La Maree as we liked the idea of eating on the beachfront. The 6 course meal was beautiful and as it was our wedding day we were able to design the menu to suit our tastes from a choice of dishes with the wedding planner & chef. You also get a fancy printed menu with your names and wedding date on which is a lovely keepsake.
We ate at Mon Desir (the fine dining restaurant) on our last night and it was certainly a memorable experience - not to be missed!
Our wedding day was by far the best of our lives. Geraldine , our wedding co-ordinator worked so hard and every aspect of the day is suited to (and chosen by) you. I was a little apprehensive before we travelled as I had heard of weddings abroad being like a conveyor belt and/or 'tacky'. It was neither. Ours was the only wedding that day although there were other days when 2 weddings took place. This did not seem to be a problem though as there are several co-ordinators working at the hotel and the weddings were spaced out. I would suggest if you are getting married out there to request the ceremony as late in the day as possible as the heat at midday is sweltering!!
I was impressed with our photos, they were very professional. You are able to select which ones you want and for a small extra cost can purchase a cd of your pictures which you can copy from at home (a rarety in the UK).
The wedding day was totally stress free and although some of the other holidaymakers get up to have a look as you walk through the gardens to the beach, you are soon left alone and no-one comes close to the gazebo.
It is well worth booking the honeymoon suite for a night. It has a hot tub, sun terrace, outdoor showers, huge bathroom & wetroom and massive bed. The beakfast the next day was great, the waiters bring it through and lay out a huge spread (see pics) on the balcony whilst you lazily wait! You are well and truly spoilt and I now know what it's like to be treated like royalty.
There is loads to do in Mauritius and at the hotel. Most watersports are free. We snorkelled nearly every day and saw lots of unusual fish & sealife. We took a helicopter trip from the hotel (it has its own helipad) around the island and coastline which was fantastic. I would highly recommend this, you get the best view and get to see the island in its entirety although it is pricey (I think about £600 for an hour).
We also went deep sea fishing (well worth the experience) and took a catamaran trip to Ile aux Cerfs (tiny island next to le Tousserok) which is also worth doing.
I feel like I'm going on a bit here but there is so much to say for the place.
I know it's a cliche but the people are so very friendly and cannot do enough for you. It's a bit strange at first (puts our British service and manners to shame) but it didn't take us long to get used to! You are served fresh towels as soon as you arrive at the beach, drinks are served all day and your every need is catered for (especially by the beach boys which are great)! They all seem to know your name and exactly which room you are staying in after a few days which we found incredible.
Only 3 small words of warning:
- Make sure you drink lots more (water!) than normal as it is so hot and humid I fainted on one occasion.
-Make sure you use mossie spray night and day - I got over 60 bites and most of these were in the daytime (we were near to the water by the small bridge at La Maree).
-Please, take no notice of any bad reviews you may encounter......I cannot believe anyone could write a negative review about this lovely piece of the world.
We would certainly recommend this hotel - it exceeded all our expectations by far and hope to be able to afford to go back one day. Most definitely the holiday of a lifetime!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava