First of all this is a lovely hotel. We had a fantastic prestige room which was large and very comfortable. We only had a garden view though with a glimpse of ocean and this is despite emailing the hotel a few weeks before arrival with our request for sea view. However the room bar is included and a fresh bottle of water is delivered every night.
Overall the staff are fantastic although we found some of the reception staff a little disinterested. No sign at all of senior management.
Food is excellent quality although choice is less than we have experienced in other Mauritius hotels. Wine is ok if you can get a new bottle opened. By the glass is a bit hit and miss. I think it depends on how long the bottle has been opened in the extreme heat. On all inclusive the Banyan is buffet style main restaurant and struggles at peak times. They even suggest you eat early! We preferred the La Marree beach restaurant in which we had breakfast every day, part of the room package but extra if in normal room. The only odd thing about this place is that you are in a nature reserve and on the sea and the hotel seems to find it necessary to play recorded bird and sea sounds!! We also ate dinner there most nights and used their voucher dine around scheme which worked out a little cheaper and allowed us the try the Asian restaurant, very good but not my ideal choice, and the Chateau Mon Desir which is normally horrendously expensive. This restaurant whilst serving excellent quality food is very much over the top. However you need to try it and decide for yourself.
There is music mostly live everywhere at night so nowhere that is quiet and peaceful. The noise from the next door hotel was sometimes unbearable.
The grounds are fantastic and well kept and include horse riding, giant tortoises and an abundance of birds. All the usual activities are available at the beach and around the hotel.
Sunbeds are great but they actually employ a sunbed monitor! If you leave your sunbed for more than one hour they put a blue sticker on it noting the time. If this continues they state they will remove your beach gear and take to reception. This never happened while we were there but they seem to allow you to “book” your sunbed at 7am and then wander off and come back at about 9.30 after breakfast. All the best position beds were taken by this time. Why bother? Not really the thing for a five star hotel! The other “rule” that was not enforced is dress code at dinner. Men have to wear long trousers and no short sleeves and women no shorts and no T shirts. They seemed to enforce the men’s rule but not for the women. Some of the sights were not what you expected to see at dinner!! Again why bother?
A special mention the beach guys particularly Dave, who looked after us really well.
The beaches had some coral but overall really nice. Snorkeling just off the beach is good.
Overall a good hotel but this was our fourth trip to Mauritius and we preferred all the other hotels we stayed at to this one. It lacks the certain “Mauritian magic” of other places. Whilst I am no youngster even I found the age of guests staying when we were there to be a high percentage of older clients.
Supposed to be a very wet month but we had almost no rain during the day! Weather was great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava