“Awesome”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Dublin, Ireland
“Awesome”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the maritim for 2 nights, it's absolutely awesome, the moment you step in the reception they will make sure you have a memorable stay which we did. We booked a privilege room but on check in we got upgraded to the only private villa in the hotel( if am not mistaken). All the staff is very helpful they will do their utter most to help you with anything your looking for. The pool is huge, and there is plenty of sun bed no need to rush in the morning to "reserved" your.! The pool bar is great, they make lovely cocktail and the view from it is just awesome! Definitely recommend Maritim for anyone, family, couple, friends.. Will surely stay again!

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Vimal86
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your short stay among us and it met your expectations!

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours Truly,
MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic time at the Maritim.

The staff were lovely & looked after us well, Vikash was always so helpful & Yashine on the beach - what a star!He knew what we wanted to drink before we did!

The food was lovely at all of the restaurants. Our favourite was La Mairee, the set menu for all inclusive was always a good choice & the fresh seafood was delicious. The buffet restaurant was also very good- everything you could possibly want for breakfast & at dinner there was always a wide choice of food! Devon who works in the buffet always made us smile with his big grin & hilarious laugh!

Our room was a lovely size & looked after well, mini bar was kept stocked up & we always got water with the turndown service which was a lifesaver after making the most of the cocktails!!!

The drinks available on all inclusive are extensive, lots of nice wines to choose from & some lovely cocktails.

We ate at the Chateau one night- the food was very good & it has lovely grounds but as mentioned in other reviews, the wine is very expensive- £45 for a bottle of Jacobs Creek that would cost you maybe £10 at most in the UK?!

A little advice if you are thinking of getting married at the Maritim....while we had a fab day & it was a lovely relaxed ceremony -just as we wanted, there are a few things I would have done differently.

Firstly we met the wedding co-ordinater the morning after we arrived & still feeling a bit jet lagged after a long flight. We were bombarded with a lot of extras all at pretty extortionate prices ie simple wedding cake £95! - we saw another couple with this & it looked VERY basic! We were asked where we would like our ceremony- having been at the hotel less than 24 hours we hadn't had a chance to have a good explore but no offer was made to show us our options so we opted for the one place we had seen which was the gazebo on the beach. I decided to have a treat & get my hair & make up done for our big day- such a mistake, my friend and I were left in a room at the spa & offered no refreshments (a bottle of sparkly on your wedding morning would have been nice but even water would have been a start!) When the 'beautician' came to do my hair & make up I was told I couldn't have my hair how I wanted it! I just wanted it down with loose curls so nothing complicated, however this was not possible - and as for my make up, 'natural' was what I asked for 'drag queen' was what I got! Devastated is the only was I can describe how I felt after looking in the mirror! So in hindsight- I wish I'd stayed in one our rooms with my friend & we'd done our own hair & make up!
After a desperate face scrub & looking vaguely like myself again we headed to the beach for the ceremony- which was lovely. The band were worth every penny - we loved having them play before during & after. The photographer (as picked by the hotel) was very good at keeping the ceremony flowing - we were pleased with our pictures although a lot of them are very similar. If you do want a photographer I'd advise maybe doing a little research before you head over.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday & would definitely recommend the Maritim! Just have a good think about what you want before you decide to get married there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Willowtails
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius and congratulations again for your wedding!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to read that you have had a fantastic time among us and that you consider our staff nice and caring, the food in all restaurants lovely and that you have liked your room and found it spacious.

I have the regret to read that your wedding experience does not reflect the level of service that has made our fantastic reputation since 24 years and positioned the Maritim Hotel Mauritius as one of the best wedding destination in the world

Each of your comments has been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned. Kindly rest assured that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours truly,
sussex, England
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful surroundings.. Third day here , however exhausted due to lack of sleep... Air conditioning in room 362 virtually non existent despite it being " fixed" .
Staff very attentive ... Hopefully air con will be fixed or its going to be a very restless holiday.....

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank pricey99
Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad to read that you are enjoying your stay among us and that you consider our staff as attentive.

From our record, the air conditioned problem has now been fixed , we sincerely apologies for the inconvenience.

Please do not hesitate in the future to contact our Guest Communication & Front office teams available 24/7 for any further queries we may have. They remain at your entire disposal.

Wishing you a lovely stay on the Maritim Estate!

Kind regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon - 5 nights.

We reached at 1 pm or so.. We were told our rooms would be ready by 3pm and that was OK. The waiting lounge is good and dint mind spending a couple of hors there.
However, I got my "correct" room at 4:45 pm. i was pretty calm and only walked up to reception at 3:30 to check why my room wasnt ready yet. The staff was pretty rude and to the point - "your room is not ready, please wait" - Hello, I havent seen such executives talking to customers in a luxury resort as if they are doing me a favor !!

I am a very patient person and decided to let them come to me and wait in the lounge.
There were no apologies, nothing. I finally got my room at 4:20 pm - and you know what, they gave me a basic room. I had booked a prestige room(higher category). I was frustrated and that moment I decided that even if I am floored by the resort and staff in the next 5 days. I am not coming back. You cant start someones vacation who travels across the world(I took a 26 hr flight from US) to come here like this.
Finally they agreed their mistake after 10 mins and me standing at the reception. And then got into my room at 4:45.
Tip : you need your best people at the reception - thats where the experience begins sir !!

The room was fantastic. Really well done up.
Nice pool and bar area. Bob especially from the bar was very helpful and went out of his way to make us comfortable.
The pool area and the sun beds are few with staff around a bit rude in general. THe towel system is really a problem. Most of the resorts I have stayed at, you get multiple towels with staff running to get you one. Here they give a card/paper for towel. So you carry it when you want a towel !! Luxury at its best !
Also, the staff managing the water sports keeps chit chatting amongst themselves and also noticed them pointing and laughing at some guests too. The water ski person refused stating that it is lunch time and come later very rudely. Pretty intimidating.

The bufffet restaurant(forget the name) is very crowded and staff OK. They just take away your plate if you arent there for 5 mins. Happened twice. Food was good most of the days with good variety.
The breakfast at the restaurant on the beach is excellent and great staff there. Thats service.
Nice SPA. But again, the staff !!

I really thought of checking out and spending the remaining 3 days somewhere else. My wife stopped me and she dint want to pack unpack again.

Mauritius is a very nice place ! I would rather stay somewhere else where I feel the resort takes care of their customers and pampers them.

Room Tip: Get the prestige room !!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kanishk V
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed, during your stay in November 2011, your room, the pool and bar area, our spa, the breakfast, service and staff of our beach restaurant.

I have the regret to read on the other hand that you have encountered some issues at your check in and with our staff during your stay. Kindly rest assured that each of your comments and incidents have been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned and that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation or for which we strive.

We would like to assure you that nothing is more important that our guests and the level of service that we are providing to our guests.

We sincerely hope we shall be able to regain your confidence, in so doing to prove that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Yours Truly,

Constanta, Romania
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Just return from Maritim hotel in Mauritius. Good accommodation, very good food, great gardens, nice beach. Take the tours by taxi not by the travel agencies, the driver will be also a guide, you will travel in comfort, the price will be lower and the trip faster. Try the local food outside of the hotel. Local cousine is a mixt of indian and African style. Get fresh seafood and fruits. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Vicentiu-Adrian
Dear Valued Guest,
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views and tips with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just got back from the Maritim -consider ourselves very well travelled stayed in top hotels all over the world. The Maritim didnt disappoint us in anyway really really enjoyed our holiday there, food in Asian Fusion restaurant simply superb & La Merre on the beach is a wonderful location in relaxed surroundings - A very very well run hotel.Just one tip we paid for 3 gourmet passes costing £120 however after we used them & then paid for the supplemnts for the A La Carte food option it only cost on average £20 extra for both so we would hve been better off NOT buying the passes

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank jeff h
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Fabulous’

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your kind and warm feedback.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Yours sincerely,

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for my honeymoon for 2 weeks in October. Lovely location & hotel very clean, but as I had spent rather a lot to stay here & booked it as a honeymoon I expected something amazing, but it was certainly not. I have stayed in hotels which are just as nice, if not nicer in other parts of the world but for a lot less money!
When booking, the hotel promised us some honeymoon 'perks' such as free room upgrade, free massage in the spa etc, when checking in & enquiring about these we were told that no we would certainly not have anything like this! We were not treated how I expected a honeymoon couple to be treated!
The standard evening buffet was good quality food and good choice, much better than I had expected, but the other restaurants on site were expensive, and the standard of food served did not match the price.
Overall I was disappointed, and feel you could definately stay somewhere just as nice for a lot less money.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Geedg
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
We are glad to read that you have enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and consider it like ‘lovely’.

We have the regret to read that your honeymoon among us did not meet fully all your expectations and did not reflect the level of service and good value for money that have made our fantastic reputation especially for honeymoon.

Regarding the upgrade, as specified, we offer room upgrade for honeymooners upon availability at time of check in. Unfortunately, the hotel was running at a very high occupancy during your stay and did not allow us to upgrade you.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as it is mainly through guest comments that we become aware about improvements that should be made and this constantly drives us to excellence.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to Maritim Hotel Mauritius.

Kind regards
MARITIM Hotel Mauritius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
#1 of 12 in Le Morne
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!