Context - This review has been written by my wife and I who have travelled the globe and are in our 50s. We have experienced many 4 and 5 star hotels in our travels to benchmark our experience in the Maritim Hotel in Mauritius.
The hotel and beach – On arrival, we were greeted by friendly and enthusiastic staff who made the check-in process efficient and easy, accompanied by a refreshing cool drink and flannel much appreciated after an hour-and-a-half journey from the airport to the north mid-west of the island. The hotel sits in a scenic bay and south of what we considered were the most beautiful on the island and these extend to the Grand Baie area. The beach of our hotel was long, white, sweeping sand with deposits of coral intermixed with outcrops of volcanic rock framing the bay. Coral reefs extend across the opening to the bay and, because of these and the sea urchins that live on the reefs it is recommended that rubber shoes are worn when swimming. Swimming in the lovely clear water of the sheltered bay was safe and very enjoyable.
Our ‘privilege’ room – was on the third floor and was immaculate – everything working and quality furnishings with a lovely ocean view of the long sandy beach to the north side. The room had air conditioning and a good size balcony with table and chairs and also a footstool for lounging and watching the sun set. Amenities include: a 32inch flat-screen TV, internet access (also available across most of the site) mini bar (majority of items part of all inclusive package with Virgin) and hairdryer. A kettle with milk, tea and coffee is also provided. Power sockets are both English and European. Both the shower and the voluminous bath are the best quality we have experienced – powerful shower, reliable supply of hot water all day and spacious. The spa shampoo, body wash, conditioner and body lotion were also lovely and invigorating.
The restaurants – service in all of the restaurants was exceptional. We were regularly asked if we required drink top-ups and courses were cleared with efficiency. The main restaurant (included in the all-inclusive package) was the Belle Vue which served consistently high quality breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets with a huge selection every day and menus rotated on a weekly basis. There was always a carvery at the evening meal with good quality meats, fish and vegetarian choices. The drink served at this restaurant were of good range and quality. We highly recommend the Creole coffee at this and the other restaurants and bars – superb.
The hotel also has several other restaurants of which our favourites were La Maree – the à la carte beach restaurant which had fabulous seafood and steak selections on some nights at a modest extra charge over the all-inclusive deal. Seafood choices included giant prawns and lobster charged by weight. The steaks were enormous, tender and rich in flavour. The T-bone was the best we’d tasted in 30+ years.
If you wish to treat yourself to some even greater luxury, the Chateau Mon Desir, is a fine dining restaurant situated on the hill above the hotel with lovely views over the grounds and lagoon and very high quality cuisine and silver service. The food and ambiance of the restaurant is fantastic, though it’s worth bearing in mind this does come with a significant price tag for both food and wine, even taking into account the discount available to all inclusive guests.
Bars – The pool bar was our favourite haunt at sunset. It was a lovely environment to relax and unwind in the bar in the early evening, an ambiance enriched by supping cocktails whilst listening to the pianist tinkling the ivories and watching the beautiful sunsets. The views from the pool bar are stunning at dusk. Entertainment such as live music and dancing was provided in the pool bar and live music was also played in the Maree beach bar and restaurant in the evening which, again created a lovely environment.
Amenities – the hotel has a vast array of water sports and other recreational activities eg. yachting, kayaking, pedalos, snorkeling, water skiing, tennis, archery, horse-riding, crazy golf, well equipped gym, etc. all included the all inclusive package with additional activities like parascending, diving and boat trips which are chargeable. There is also an on-site spa – a very relaxing experience for those who like to be pampered.
The hotel also has its own animal farm with giant tortoises that live to over 100 years old which you can get up close to and feed.
Staff – The staff were the one of the best assets of this hotel. All staff were friendly, welcoming, attentive and considerate. Nothing was ever too much trouble and if you had any requests, the staff would attend to them with courtesy and efficiency. During our stay we met very many staff with whom we were very impressed. We would like to take this opportunity to thank those staff below and can honestly say that, between them, they made our holiday one of the most special and memorable experiences ever.
• Kavita – the communications rep who set up our booking to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary to enable us to dine at the wonderful Maree restaurant.
• Nash and Laxman – in La Maree – for making our 30th wedding anniversary dinner on the beach so pleasurable and memorable.
• Ajay - for finding and securing my gold necklace for me until I returned to claim it (my hero).
• Vijay and Vidya – at La Maree – great service on our steak night.
• Deven and Riaz – Belle Vue – always smiling and attentive to our every needs – even before we’ve thought of them! Deven - can't thank you enough for your extra special attention - you're a star!
• Mulloo at La Chateau Mon Desir - a class act
• Antoine – chef with soufflés to die for!
• Vimla, Prescilla and Rajesh – so welcoming, and again, warm and attentive service.
A vary special thank you also to Rakhes Fakir the food and beverage manager for making us feel truly welcome and pampered in this excellent hotel.
If you are looking to be spoilt with a truly exotic, relaxing holiday we can highly recommend the Maritim as the place to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava