“VERY GOOD.. BUT....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Balaclava
Congleton, United Kingdom
“VERY GOOD.. BUT....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Our first night at the Maritim on arrival was unfortunately marred. We certainly were not met with drinks and towels and the experience was rushed. The room to us was clearly not fully ready and the bags were late arriving.I was also surprised to hear a lot of noise from the corridor and from adjoining rooms which we have not normally experienced in five star hotels. Towels were also worn and tired and although these did improve a bit they all need to be replaced in our view to bring up to a five star standard.

The hotel itself is set in magnificent grounds and is very attractively laid out. The staff cannot do enough for you and there is a high standard of personal attention for guests. The hotel did us proud by giving us room 116 very near the beach although it was a step from reception. The room itself was very good indeed and apart from the lack of sound proofing was well appointed. Although we did have quiet nights there is a potential for disturbance.

Food. There are three very good restuarants aside from the Belle Vue buffet. Once you have worked out what you are entitled to, which can be a little confusing at first, it is easy enough to book for one of the other three. We chose to book with the Lamaree restaurant on the beach. The food is certainly outstanding here and the setting with log fires in the evening little short of paradise.

The Belle Vue restaurant to our mind though needs to be improved on food. The setting is attractive and the staff highly attentive but although there is plenty of choice the standard is not five star quality.

The beach is well set out with plenty of space and no problems with sun beds.There is also a beach service where staff bring drinks to you, which is good. If you have children the hotel is child friendly.

So, all in all we would say that there are points for improvement although we had a very pleasant time there overall.

Room Tip: Room 116 is very near the beach and you can leave the veranda door unlocked to go to and fro from th...
3 Thank CARABEZ
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, July 2, 2013

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

The entire team is glad that you have overall enjoyed your stay We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further. At MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, our main concerns are to exceed guest’s expectations and we are always open to suggestions for continuous improvement in our day-to-day operations.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM Estate for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northants
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were a largish group who booked this hotel for our daughters wedding. The setting was perfect, in vast well maintained grounds, with a choice of locations for wedding ceremonies and receptions. The wedding co-ordinator was absolutely wonderful, so please don't worry about a thing if you have booked a wedding at this hotel. There wasn't very much organised prior to our arrival but you have their complete attention once you arrive. Everything is possible here, you wont be disappointed.

We has privilege rooms on various floors and I think they exceeded everyone's expectations. The bride and groom were given an upgrade to the honeymoon suite on their wedding day complete with hot tub on the covered balcony.

As has been said already, the staff are what really make this hotel so good. The level of service and the genuine friendliness and care from staff are beyond anything we have experienced before. Everyone seemed to know us all within a day which added to the feeling that all guests here matter.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ferrers
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius !

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor
I am delighted to learn that you consider the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘A Wonderful Hotel’ and that you have enjoyed this very important celebration of your family life.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your daughter wedding. The entire team is glad that it met all your expectations and even more.

We look forward to welcome you and your family in the near future.

Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

As a well travelled couple (Maldives, Tioman Island, Bali, Dubai, Oman to name a few) I was in two minds when booking a trip to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. Do I pick somewhere that I know Karen has enjoyed before, or risk another new location? After much deliberation I went for a new venue, and started the process of selecting country and hotel. Mauritius was a fairly easy choice, the hotel was more of a challenge.

Tripadvisor is of course a brilliant resource for such deliberations, but for every ten superb reviews there always seems to be someone whose holiday (if not there entire life) has been totally ruined by grotty food and dismal service. Despite the niggling misgivings resulting from the rantings from the odd naysayers, we went ahead and booked the Maritim.

What a superb decision. With it being such an important occasion for us I did push the boat out and pick the best room I could (and travelled Club World with BA direct). Even I was slightly stunned when shown to our "Presidential Suite" (room 312). With an office upstairs (not used!), a jacuzzi on the balcony and even a sauna in the bathroom it was a match for any room I have stayed in, including in the Burj in Dubai. It even came with our own reserved sun beds right by the beach!

The food was varied and delicious, although we didn't try the "fine dining option" in Château Mon Desir. This was also the first time we have gone all-inclusive, which covered all we needed and more (the posh room gave us access to a-la-carte breakfast in La Maree beach restaurant - which was really good), although we did add a few extras with supplements for special dishes and two visits to the Banyan Tree Asian restaurant. Despite this, and an afternoon in the spa, we still came away with the smallest checkout bill I can remember.

The main win though, despite the lovely room, beautiful weather, wonderful grounds and warm sea, was the brilliant staff. They were, without exception, fantastic. From Ishwaree at La Maree, to Dave on the beach and the super attentive Dev they were welcoming, friendly and simply could not have done more to our stay truly special. On the big day itself we had a constant string of congratulations, and went back to our room to a bottle of fizz, petals on the bed and a really touching, very personal card from the hotel management. I want to thank them all for making our week so wonderful. We will be back.

As to the people who wrote the negative reviews, and caused me to doubt my choice, I think you need to consider the common denominator when you have a bad experience. If you need help, look in the mirror.....

Room Tip: If you can go for 309 or 312 Presidential Suites and feel truly special!
12 Thank Bob D

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

Thank you for your great support and kind review and congratulations once again for your wedding anniversary.

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay, all our facilities and services and especially our fantastic team. Your comments and high praise to staff are much appreciated and will be passed on to each one who contributed to your satisfaction.

We all hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Sincerely yours

Woking, United Kingdom

Ok...where to start.

Well, in summary - the Maritim is fantastic. The only thing that could have been improved on was the weather, but the hotel can't control that!

We arrived on a BA flight and got to the hotel at 8am, we were welcomed by lovely staff who sat us down, gave us a nice cocktail and managed our check-in. We were allowed to go to breakfast before returning to go to our room, which was available well before the 2pm quoted check-in time.

We were in a Prestige room and would highly recommend it. I read that the other rooms were not quite as nice, but this was just like the pictures. HUGE bed (super king?), roll top bath, separate shower room, toilet, walk in wardrobe, sofa, arm chair, as well as balcony furniture.
We couldn't ask for more.

So, the first thing we didn't realise was how huge the resort it. It's massive with loads of things to see and do. I won’t go over the restaurants as everyone has already mentioned them. I would recommend Bel Vue for breakfast, as we didn't think La Maree was as good in their selection. If you get a Prestige room, breakfast in La Maree is included every day. It's lovely to eat on the beach and watch the sea come in and the staff were lovely too.
Things I recommend - book in advance if you're visiting during the peak periods. We didn't actually have to book anything in advance and we just booked in the morning, for that evening with no problems. I think there's a lot of scaremongering, and if everyone just took it easy then there wouldn't be such a big problem with booking restaurants! Very much sheep following the herd.

If you want to eat at Le Mon Desir, then buy the Gourmet voucher for 1080pp. This gives you a set menu to choose from, and also you can always get wine and drinks from the all inclusive menu. I'm not sure why people say the drinks are expensive?! You can buy from the al la carte menu but we found it sufficient for our needs.

I would highly recommend La Kaz Kreole though. It's a set taster style menu and you share a table with other people. Luckily we had the table to ourselves and there was a romantic atmosphere with fantastic traditional Creole food! The spicy crab soup was amazing. La Maree for lunch and dinner was ok, not great. Bel Vue was nice and varied. Le Banyan was ok, but there was a supplement to pay, however, the food was nice.

There are various shops on site too, including a jewellers. Navin was just brilliant and was able to make a ring for us, to our specification and we were even able to choose our own stones. It's much cheaper than the UK! However - word of warning, don’t bother was claiming the tax back. The rules recently changed and I actually lost some money doing it this way as there's a max 2,000rps fee and their exchange rate (to get it changed back into £) is quite high. Just get your product delivered to the airport to be collected and you don’t need to go through this hassle.

We also bought 2 tailored shirts from the shop next door, however, I'm not convinced by the quality compared to my normal wardrobe. But for £30, it was ok I guess.

Lastly - I must mention the staff. I was in contact with Aurelie for a few months before arriving to arrange a Magic Moment and she made sure that my day was perfect. I won’t go into detail, but basically the staff can do anything you want. She has a wedding on in the morning but was still attentive and thoughtful of my event and even came to make sure it went off without a hitch. Aurelie, if you're reading this, you're the best and thank you for everything!!!!

Other brilliant people were:
- Aurelie and Kavita on guest comms
- Avanish and Nitish on reception. Genuinely nice people who really cared about us
- Rajesh in Bel Vue
- Sachin and Kunal in La Kaz Kreole and Le Mon Desir. You guys were awesome.
- Dave on the beach
- Kumar in Le Banyan

Some final thoughts from me:

- Don't worry about sun loungers. We didn't have a single problem for the whole stay. Loads of availability and if you do go away for a long time you merely get a "fair play" sticker on your tower, just as a reminder not to hog beds.
- Dogs - don’t worry. There were only a few and not a problem. All they wanted was some shade! Never begged for food.
- Get a Prestige room. Trust me, it's worth it. We had 426 which was sensational.
- Take advantage of the water activities. If you get up early in the morning, or late in the afternoon you can even see Dolphin in the bay. When we went Scuba diving (there's a dive centre - I got a introductory dive for 2,400rps) we saw a pod of 14 Dolphin! 100x better than the organised trip we went on. The tour operators basically have no consideration for the Dolphin and chase them like paparazzi.
- Go snorkelling
- Get the samosas at the Quarterdeck bar!
- Drinks are great, but watch out for non-all inclusive drinks. £7 for a Baileys.
- The Spa was great and you can negotiate! My massage was so good that I feel asleep....twice!
- Get a car and explore the island, we got one for 5 days for £135, which included Total Collision Damage Waiver. Driving is easy, hard to get lost and the roads are great.
- Go to the east of the Island and do a trip to Il Aux Cerf and eat in Masala.
- Go to Grand Bay and do a Glass bottom boat tour there.
- Getting money exchanged on the island was not cheaper than getting it done in the UK (for us, anyway)

All in all - just brilliant.
Thank you to everyone who made our trip the best yet.

Room Tip: Prestige Room 426
6 Thank Arun S

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like an ‘Absolute wonderful place’!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your holidays and also for your helpful and useful feedback on the estate and Mauritius and for your kind recommendations.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand. We are so pleased to read that you have experiment and enjoy all the unique facilities of the resort.

We would like to thank you once again for your gracious comments. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Bristol, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Visited the Maritim with our five year olds. I was looking forward to this holiday so much that there was a tiny concern that it wouldnt live up to my expectations. In fact it surpassed them! We had a truly wonderful holiday here.

Booked with Virgin who advised to fly with Emirates via Dubai. Were glad we did as the inflight service was very good especially the entertainment making a long journey with children very comfortable.

Hotel is in stunning 50 acres of tropical gardens, ruins, waterfall, riding stables and a few animals including giant tortoises that you can feed. Lovely long beach and views. Hotel has every facility you could want - we were there for 12 days and didnt try many of them. Spa is a destination in itself. Watersports, bikes, table tennis, croquet, archery etc all available. Lots of lovely features in the hotel, you turn a corner there is a hammock, or a river, or a book stand or a little restaurant or a shady spot under a palm tree.

Kids club is in a little thatched cottage on the beach. Our children enjpyed particularly going when Noelette was on duty as she was so muc fun. They also chose to have dinner with her and their kids club friends some evenings meaning we could have dinner on our own. Not loads of children at the hotel but enough that our children could make frinds to play with. Kids club activities included fishing, waterski-ing, pony riding and is open into the evening. On the first night people kept coming to the room bringing gifts for the children! cookies, spa slippers, t shirts, beach bags. Our children had a fantastic time on this holiday they loved the pool, kids club and their friends.

Ou room was lovely, its the first time we have shared with our children on holiday but there was plenty of room, the room was really nicely furnished and we appreciated the storage space in the dressing room and the terrace with views to the sea. Children slept on double sofa bed.

This was the first time we had been all inclusive and both the food and drinks were of an excellent standard. We ate at the Belle Vue and the Maree (on the beach). Maree is a lovely spot for breakfast (dolphins swam past one morning) right on the beach what a beautiful spot - how could breakfast be any better. Really nice service from the team there. Breakfast at Belle Vue also very good - huge range on offer. Overall we found the Belle Vue to have a wider range of food so chose to eat there most nights. We did pay a supplement for the lobster night at the Maree and it was a romantic spot to have dinner. The food at Belle Vue was really excellent. Lobster one night, large prawns, some of the best Indian food I have ever had, spit roast chicken and lamb, steak cooked to order, theme nights and the most delicious local food especially the fruit and veg- christophenes, pumpkins, paw paw salad - tropical fruits. Service excellent and sometimes live music. We had dinner as a family at La Maree one evening but overall we found the Belle Vue the best option for choice. Had no trouble getting reservations for La Maree but honestly think the dinner at Belle Vue is better, you can still go to La Maree for drinks or sit around the lovely bonfire they build at 9pm each evening on the beach.
We didn't eat at the oriental restaurant, le chateau de mon desir (fine dining) or the little Mauritian restaurant but the Mauritian restaurant looked a really charming spot and other guests spoke highly of all the restaurants. Entertainment is low key eg some musicians playing in the background.

Drinks - great cocktails, South African wines, iced coffee by the pool, mocktails and milkshakes for the kids, lattes and hot drinks if you want them. Inclusive drinks list was extensive and all the drinks were great.

Service at the hotel excellent staff are so friendly and the whole place is spotless they are constantly cleaning and gardening.

Pool is a lovely spot to see the views and relax. Never had any problems getting sun beds at pool or beach so the system of not allowing people to reserve sun beds was working well.

We did go out and about quite a bit - dolphin boat trip, sunset cruise, tour of the major places on the island and we got a taxi to another beach and to the waterfront in St Louis one day. There is a lot to see in Mauritius so its well worth taking the time for a look around.

We really loved the Maritim - the team there are charming, the food is excellent, location and facilities are fantastic, the atmosphere in the hotel was relaxing and friendly, weather was perfect, room was excellent and we all had a wonderful time. I can't think of anything negative at all and we would love to go back. Mauritius is worth the long journey and so is the Maritim.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Feeny
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this review, June 27, 2013

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your warm feedback with other travellers on Trip Advisor!

We are simply delighted to read that you have loved the MARITIM and your family holidays.
This is so important for us.

Thank you once again for your review and your great support!
Looking forward to welcome you again all on the MARITIM Estate.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We checked in on June 2nd for 2 weeks and to get married.

The Flight was BA World Traveller plus, easy check in but felt like we had been forgotten.

We booked the trip through Thomson/Hayes and Jarvis, they organised a car for us from the airport to the hotel this was awesome the driver from Summertimes was very chatty and gave us a lot of information on the places to see, local history.

When we arrived at the hotel (at around 8am) we were greated with a refreshing drink and flannel to freshen up with, the check in was relatively painless and our cases were taken to our room.

We were initially given a Privilege room, this was a stunning room with a beautiful view of the sea, we unpacked and were able to relax, the room was in very good condition and the shower was amazing, the Belle Vue restaurant offered a massive selection of different foods from around the world, the tastes were amazing, we ate her most days, but we did eat at the other 2 locations just after the wedding, they were both amazing to.

We moved up the Prestige room and to be honest were a little bit downbeat on it, there were a few cosmetic issues with the room but nothing major, both rooms were extremely comfortable.

Now onto the wedding preparations, Summertimes helped us, get around to organise the documentation, this was done pretty effortlessly and had no stress although i was a tad nervous.

We met the wedding coordinators they were both amazing, they catered for my wifes every request to an extremely high standard and everything was perfect, we had a laugh and a joke while discussing our options, this was totally stress free, on the day of the wedding everything was perfect, the photographer helped me with button, my wife got ready at the most amazing spa you have ever seen, we spent so much time in there and met some really lovely staff.

After the wedding it was to the beach for our meal, the entire surrounding area was really relaxed and stress free, it was the perfect place for winding down in the evening.

Overall the bars and restaurants we extremely nice and relaxed, just as they should be,

The services provided by the hotel were extremely good, with a large selection of land and water based things to do.

The highlight for us though was the spa, the staff were amazingly lovely and we just couldn't stop going there, we had a series of treatments and the Ylang Ylang massage was just brilliant

The staff across the entire hotel were cheerful and generally lovely to interact with and we felt enlightened for getting to know them.

Overall it was a very good experience with only minor issue was some of the room cosmetics.

The highlights for us were
The Wedding
The Spa
The beach bar

The only negative thing was the minor cosmetic issues, but we appreciate its a busy and popular hotel.

We have taken Mauritius to our hearts and will certainly will be returning in the next 12-18 months, whether its with the Maritim we are not sure but it is certainly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 317 was the basic room but the views are incredible.
2 Thank Alan B
Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and wedding celebration. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back on the MARITIM Estate for a yet another holiday very soon.

Yours faithfully

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

6 of us (55 - 80 years old) booked a trip to Mauritius. Not knowing what area was best or which hotel to choose I contacted Just Mauritius for info. Tasmin recommended the Maritim in Mauritius. Everything was arranged for us flights/hotel/transfers - from airport collection in our own vehicle, to the welcome, rooms, food, staff (from the lowliest to the highest - all were exceptional). very high quality. Beach facilities excellent - nearly all were free!! Pay for para-sailing and deep sea diving. The spa is definitely worth a treat. once again - exceptional service. Went twice!!!Only drawback was that we were on ground floor which was great but unfortunately it was very noisy - people moving about upstairs. But can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: our room 276/277 was a bit far from the restaurants and beach for my 80 year old parents - but then...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cason100
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Ravenala Attitude
LUX* Le Morne
LUX* Le Morne
#1 of 12 in Le Morne
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,286 reviews

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!