“best holiday ever”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed May 20, 2013

we have just returned from ten days here and cannot fault a thing , what a wonderful setting , hotel is stunning and the staff are the best we have ever had in a hotel , we were looked after so well i got upset when leaving , we met wonderful people , the service is so brilliant that even the chefs checked i had everything i wanted to eat as i am vegatarian , everything is no trouble .... only one thing to say is if your a man and smoke Tobacco as does my husband take cigarettes we got stopped in customs on the way out for half an hour because we had bought some Rizla papers at Heathrow ! If you get the chance go to this wonderful hotel and have a holiday you wont forget ........ thank you to all the staff and managment for making our stay so special , and hi to everyone we met ............... cathy and dave x

1  Thank elvisdigby
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider your stay at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like your ‘Best Holiday Ever’!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your kind post.

Your gracious comments have been passed to the team.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

There are newer reviews for Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Both my partner and I have just returned from the Maritim following our 2 week stay for our friends wedding.
From the moment we arrived I was so pleased this was the place they had chosen to get married. Very friendly people to greet us with cold towels and smiling faces. One thing I will note about the airport after we were kindly asked to wait in the Mauritian passport holder queue even though we are British; do not do this. We got all the way to the front and then the man would not see us.
The journey took approximately an hour from the airport to Maritim where again we were greeted with cheerful faces, cold towels and a refreshing drink. Our room was luckily ready on arrival, which was a bonus as others were not but this wasn't much of an inconvenience for the rest of our party.
Lots of people have moaned about the towel system around the pool and on the beach but I think this was a great idea considering many people upped and left their beds all day to return and expect their items to still be there. The man doing this was ever so friendly and didn't disturb anyone as mentioned (merely doing his job). Beach service team was great getting us food and drinks. They were attentive no matter what end of the beach you were at. Coming around with water, cold towels and an afternoon snack daily without asking. Although you cannot have cocktails and some other drinks brought to you on the beach (not quite sure why) they do offer lots of cold drinks and beer. This is hardly the biggest deal in the world and if you are that bothered you can get up yourself and go to the bar to get them and bring back. I would imagine this is to make the lives of the Beach Team a little easier and also to prevent rowdiness from copious amounts of alcohol that could be consumed if you can have cocktails at your beck and call...makes sense to me.

Restaurants we tried were the main restaurant which is where we ate most, La Maree the beach restaurant where we eat once for dinner and a couple of times for lunch which we wished we had done more as it was AI. The Kreole restaurant was amazing a great experience I cannot recommend enough and although it costs 950Rs extra pp it is well worth doing to meet others, try great food and just have an amazing enough.
The spa was amazing also and often empty... probably because what everyone thinks is a pool in the middle is actually a water feature! Again all the staff were very accommodating helpful and very knowledgeable about what they were doing and recommending other treatments that would work best for you and why (probably a money making scheme, but I certainly fell for it!)
You must make an effort to go around and see the island. We were lucky enough to have our friends family who live in Mauritius to show us the best parts and I am so glad we went along. Taking a trip to Ile aux Cerfs, the waterfalls and being shown around and doing jumps from them shown around by the locals for a small fee (they are great with children just throwing them over their shoulder to the top of the rocks so they could watch us all), then having a BBQ on another little island nr Ile aux Cerfs which was truly amazing one of the best days. Huge food supply, lots of Phoenix and rum followed by some locals singing to us with lunch. I also recommend getting someone to take you to the temple and sacred lake up in the mountains, all of the waterfalls and seven coloured earth. You must also try the Roti, Dholl Pooris and Gateaux Piments on the edge of the road you can get 3 for 10Rs which is nothing and they are SO tasty!!

I could honestly go on all day about Mauritius and the Maritim but by far the best day was our friends wedding on the 9th May (Mark & Shani) everything was beautiful, and they could not have asked for a better day. From my point of view, everything was perfectly arranged, excellent food being circulated then onto the La Maree for a wedding buffet. One of the biggest weddings we'd seen whilst we were there and there were weddings every day and by far the best (although I would be bias).

If you want 5* treatment and an amazing culture and scenery, this is a MUST. I will definitely going back when I can!

Room Tip: We were in room 467 (Privilege) - amazing views and really near to the spa, reception etc which was...
3  Thank Chloe A

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding ceremony.
We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I visited the Maritim Hotel for ten nights from 5th May - 15th May 2013 and loved it! We arrived at the airport around 6am and were quickly through to get on the transport provided by BA. It's worth noting that there is an ATM machine on the left and right hand side as you exit the airport where we withdrew 5000 rupees for our stay.
The journey to the Maritim took just over one hour although we did fall asleep on the way to the hotel. We were met by smiley and polite staff who sat us down with a cold drink and a very refreshing cold flannel. The view from the reception of the beach and pool area is amazing and a fantastic way to welcome you to the hotel. Due to our early arrival, we were not able to check in to our room but they offer the use of 'The Lounge' which can be used on arrival or departure. This area has key card access which is given to you on arrival and gives you the opportunity to have a lay down or have a shower. Towels and shower gel etc. are provided in the lounge and we utilised this area following a long flight from the UK. Our luggage was left in the reception area which was taken to our room later on that morning. We packed swim wear etc. on top of our luggage so we had easy access to it and were able to go straight to the pool after completing all the paper work at reception. At around 11am a member of staff approached us by the pool and told us our room was ready so off we went.
We had the Privilege room (room 361) which was big with a huge bed (very comfy), free standing bath, TV, tea and coffee, safe and all the things you would expect from an all inclusive (AI) hotel. There is two types of power points, they have the British three pin and the round two pin but still worth bringing an adaptor. Our luggage wasn't far behind us and we quickly unpacked. The room has a mini bar with soft and alcoholic drinks. Not all drinks are included in the AI package so be sure to check the mini bar menu in the room which indicates the drinks that are included using an asterix. This system is used for food and drink at the hotels restaurants and bars too but there is a good choice so no need to worry.
The main restaurant is called 'Belle Vue' and is buffet style. The food was always hot and there was a good choice including bread, salad and deserts. There is a different theme every night over a one week period and the dress code is smart casual. Men must wear trousers so ensure you bring some along. Another restaurant we ate at was called 'La Maree' which is on the beach and serves very nice food. This is also a nice place to have a drink day or night. All restaurants other than the buffet must be booked through reception and others are more popular than others so book early to avoid disappointment.
The beach and pool both have very comfortable beds to laze around on with adjustable head rests. There is always staff willing to serve you drinks. The beach operates a flag system so put up the blue to be served or red to be left alone. This isn't the case at the pool but service is regular and no tipping is required as its all apart of the service. One thing I didn't understand was that they wont serve you cocktails at the pool or beach but you're free to get them yourself and take back to your bed. On the subject of beds, there is a fair use policy in use which means if you try and reserve your beds for over 60 minutes your belongings will be removed in order that other people can use the beds. The system worked well and we always found beds available.
There is a vast choice of water sports on the beach, some are free and others have a fee. The water skiing, glass bottom boat, kayak and pedalo are all free and worth doing. Activities that have a fee that I did are parasailing and doughnuts (like a banana boat but single seated). The doughnuts were so fun and made me scream like a big girl!
We also did a catamaran trip around areas of the island which was amazing! We did snorkelling, had a BBQ and visited a lovely sandy beach. A lot of time is spent just sailing around the coast taking in the sights and being served beer by the staff. A very good trip and highly recommended.
The hotel has a spa on site and is well worth a visit. My wife had a massage and I had an ear candle treatment (had a blocked ear) which was reasonable. The wife loved her massage and recommends it to anyone who goes to the maritim. There is use of the Jacuzzi, sauna or hamman free of charge which is a nice way to unwind after a busy day sunbathing.
The grounds of the hotel are extremely well looked after and the staff are always busy looking after it. It actually seemed that there was one member of staff for each person staying at the hotel which was good as there's always someone on hand to help what ever time of day or night.
The toilets by the pool or beach were all very clean and free of insects etc. The wife thought this worth mentioning for all you ladies out there!
In regards to beach towels, there is a towel hut by the pool/beach where these can be found and dirty towels are taken to the same place for exchange.
I could write about this hotel all day but wont so if you have any questions please contact me through trip advisor. All I can say is we both highly recommend this hotel and would go back again. Oh, I nearly forgot about the wedding. My sister got married and it was an amazing day from start to finish. If you're thinking about getting married here just do it! Again, questions are welcome.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
18  Thank frosty00

Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted to learn that you consider your stay at the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Amazing!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for ythis special holidays and wedding and also for your warm and complete feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

Thank you once again for your review and all of us hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The service at the Hotel was fantastic. The people are very friendly and helpful. Not sure why a number of us did not have our rooms ready on time, so had to spend a couple of nights in a lesser room. The compensation we received was vouches to spend in the:- Spa massage, Dinner in restaurant Le Banyan, Dinner in the Chateau Mon Desir. The dinner in the Le Banyan, which a Asian fusion restaurant was terrible. The Dinner in the Chateau Mon Desir was not bad, but the portions were very small and the service was suppose to silver service, but the waiter did not put your serviette on your lap. In fact you had to move it before the waiter could serve the starter. the waiter also leaned over the customer to place the cutlery on the table. You also have a lesser menu in all of the above mentioned restaurants as it is complimentary. If you have a massage DO NOT ask for a hard one, because it bone crunching. If you are shy it may not be for you, as they totally expose your bum. A lot of the activities are free, but book early as they soon go.
The only criticisms we have is not many of the staff understand English very well and the resort is a way from any outside activities and taxis are not cheap. if they know you are a tourist. You can get a cheaper tour of the island if you go outside of the gate and talk to the taxi rank direct. We got a tour of the North and the South of the island for half the price the resort was charging.

1  Thank Raymond W

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay among us. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Yours truly,

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Late 2011. This is a fantastic hotel in terms of service and accommodations, but the resort grounds are really impressive with horses, mango trees and even Giant Tortoises from the Seychelles. My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon for a couple nights, then went to the other side of the Island. We loved the turtles and it was a memorable part of the trip. You can also see them in the zoos, but you can't get close + they are less happy at the zoo.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cwonder2012

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum.
The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and our park, horses and giant tortoises park.

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours faithfully

Reviewed May 15, 2013

After a long flight we arrived tha the Maritim at 7am. We were greeted at reception, offered a cold towel and a refreshing fruit cocktail. The view from reception was breathtaking. We were checked in without fuss and shown the facilities. We were then taken to the guest arrival/departure lounge which was air conditioned with comfortable seating, showers and lockers. We had read other reviews and taken shorts etc in out hand luggage. Our room was ready at about 3.30 and upon arrival to the room it was worth the wait. The room was on the ground floor leading on to the most beautiful garden with a view of the stunning Indian Ocean.

We showered and changed and wandered off to have some dinner. The live cooking stations in the restaurant work perfectly well.. Over the two weeks we heard so many guests asking for English food.. This is Mauritius, with an Indian culture, serving Maurtian food.. That is what I expected.. Not fish and chips! The service was excellent and all of the staff were friendly.

We spent most of our holiday by the La Maree restaurant on the beach. Most days we lazesd on the beach and were looked after by the now legendary beach boy Yashine. He has a small for everyone and is an absolute credit to the hotel.

The bar service is fantastic.. We spent most evenings at the quarterdeck bar being looked after by the amazing waiting staff.

The hotel management are quick to sort any minor problems that guests may have. We had a problem with a beach seller who was really not very nice. (He goes by the name Christoph Bogof) and I would avoid him at all costs. There are really nice beach sellers.. One being Vinny who is lovely and very genuine. The management acted immediately and ensured that we were not bothered by Christoph again.

We used the pedalo but tended to relax more than look for a sporty holiday. We took a trip walking with the lions which was amazing and I would recommend it, although a little expensive, it was worth every penny. We also had a two hour quad safari.. Again breathtaking.

I used the spa for a massage which was awesome. The spa is beautiful and the therapists are lovely.

If I could find one negative with the hotel is that I am not there now. Two weeks is not enough. We have booked again for next year already.. And it can't come soon enough. The Maritim is beyond paradise..with such lovely staff and management who are so welcoming and obliging, I would highly reccomend giving it a try. But remember... It is Mauritius.. If you want English food and are not prepared to embrace the culture.. Then stick to Butlins..

Room Tip: 240... Lovely room..
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JanieB66

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this very complete and warm review on the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

We are simply delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you consider it like'Complte Paradise'. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and hope to see you back for a yet another holiday with us in the near future!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is not my first review of this hotel as it is my eighth visit spread over 16 years but I wanted to add observations on the most recent changes. In my opinion it gets better every holiday and the hotel surpassed itself on every level this year. Yes there were minor glitches but nothing to detract from a wonderful and relaxing holiday.

From our welcome after a long flight to our departure we were made to feel special and this is not just for us as repeat guests. From talking to other guests I think most would agree – as one lady we met said – you would have to be very picky to find major fault with this hotel.

Belle Vue – this is the main buffet restaurant with a different theme every night. I have seen criticism here about how if you are there for two weeks the food can be repetitive but hands up anyone who cooks at home and doesn’t repeat tried and tested recipes on a weekly basis!
Banyan – this is a new Asian fusion restaurant located at the far end of the Belle Vue. You get Rs750 per person credit on AI for this and the other restaurants. This is a nice alternative for dining and is under the excellent management of Kumar who has been with the hotel for many years.

Los Filaos – sort of German beer garden type restaurant located behind La Maree on the beach. This was really only busy on one of their 3 themed nights – BBQ, suckling pig. To ease congestion in the other restaurants perhaps more themed nights and special offers would help.

Mauritian restaurant – did not try but if you wanted to sample typical local food in an intimate atmosphere you should head here. Located behind the departure lounge in a little walled garden.

La Maree – beach restaurant which is very popular and you do have to book early but it is worth it. And if you can’t get in at first keep checking with the restaurant as there may be opportunities (going earlier/later?) The service last year was not up to standard but there is a new management team of Magan, Mithun and Vischal in charge and the improvement is 100%. However having Ishwaree and Vidja back helps keep everyone on their toes. The men might be bosses but we know who’s really in charge, don’t we ladies?

Bonfire – yes would you believe it? They have built a bonfire pit on the sand in front of the beach bar with 4 two person benches in a semi circle round it and about 10 tables and chairs between it and the bar. It is lit about 9pm on most nights and it is a lovely place to sit and relax after your evening meal. We were looked after by the smiling and lovely Ashven.

Beach Boys – the team have been joined by Jaffar, Dave and Devian who used to work in the Quarter Deck and are now all enjoying looking after guests on the beach. They are all a great bunch and seemed to anticipate your every need – and if they were busy it was no great hardship to stroll to the bar yourself!

Beach Police – this year they have implemented a stricter policy for sun loungers. There always was a policy that towels would be removed if you left them for any length of time but I don’t think I ever saw this happen. This year they have ‘Kojak’ who patrols the beach and pool areas and if a bed is empty for 1 hour you will get a sticker on the bed and if he returns after another hour and you are still not back security will remove your items to the sport kiosk. Some reviews state that they thought this humiliating but the majority of people I spoke to thought it a good idea. I have no objection to a sticker if my lunch takes longer than an hour and if I knew that I would be away for more than 2 hours I would not be so selfish as to put towels down in the first place. I only saw one bed ‘removed’ and the people who put down the towels did not return for the entire morning which is definitely not ‘fair play’.

As has been mentioned by others the staff are the main asset of this hotel. They are always ready with a smile and always respond to any kind of greeting. The gardens are also kept to a very high standard and even the gardeners who toil under the hot sun to keep the place immaculate are cheery – special mention to the Lady Gardener who seems to almost live in the garden between the administration block/restaurants and the prestige rooms and makes sure she waves and smiles and says hello no matter how many times she has seen you during the day.

Can’t wait to return in another couple of years!

Room Tip: Prestige rooms allow you to have breakfast at La Maree on the beach
2  Thank Ola8

Dear Loyal Guest,

Thank you for this very complete and warm review on Trip Advisor and for your faithfulness to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

The entire team is glad that you have once again enjoyed your stay among us and it met your expectations. We are really proud that you consider your stays over the years better and better.

Thank you again for all your support.
Looking forward to welcome you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours Truly,

MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!