“Disappointing!!”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was our 4th time in Mauritius, 1st time at the Maritim. Based on the reviews on trip advisor and previous visits we had high hopes. Upon arrival we found it confusing to understand the restaurant options. We had 3 days working it out before my frustration got the better of me. Having experienced poor service and attitude, i shared this with the manager. I shared my experience that the staff did not demonstrate all that we had come to expect from the friendly Mauritiuan people. Being assured of change nothing did!!!! Highlighted by the request for hangers taking 3 days and with the managers command all 4 of the 8 requested turned up.

The overall service is not what I have come to expect of 5 star or the brand. Towels are annoying, they are poor quality and only allowed 1for the beach. The 'communications team' walk around asking what they can do for you, which is not a lot and they do not come across as being sincere in their interest.

We visited the La Maree beach resaurant twice and the food was not great and the service was poor, made worse by attention to detail.

Overall the property is beautiful, maybe if it was your 1st time here it would feel special. There are many returning customers who have noticed a lot of change, but in comments I heard not for the better

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Davej0355
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

I have read your comments with great attention and I regret that your stay has not been up to your expectations.

I would be happy to discuss the matter with you and would be pleased to hear from you on our telephone number +230 204 1000 or by email on info.mau@maritim.com.

At MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, our main concerns are to exceed guest’s expectations and we are always open to suggestions for continuous improvement in our day-to-day operations.

Again, kindly rest assured that we are taking all necessary measures to address the issues with the view to further improve our services and facilities.

Yours Truly,
MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Write a ReviewReviews (3,674)

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at the Maritim for 7 nights (16-23 February '13) on an all inclusive basis. We travelled as a family of 3 with our 15 year old son.

Our check in process with Richa was a delight. We received a cool towel and chilled fruit cocktail. Richa is friendly, professional, efficient and also made our dinner reservations for us in the various restaurants upon arrival. She also gave us a tour of the arrivals/departure lounge which we had access to until our room was ready. The lounge we understand was previously the Spa, it had a lounge area with comfortable arm chairs, private lockers, 3-4 individual private walk in shower rooms with a wc and wash hand basin. Toiletries and towels were also provided. We used this room for our departure as we had to vacate our room by midday and did not leave the hotel until 19.15. We had full use of La Maree, Belle Vue and the bar area for food/drinks until our depature. We arrived at the hotel at 9.45am and were told that our room should be ready after we had eaten breakfast. We took breakfast in the Belle Vue buffet restaurant which had everything you would expect - eggs, waffles, pancakes, meats, cereals, variety of breads, croissants, fruit, yogurts etc. Our room was ready as Richa had said once we had finished breakfast and a lot earlier than we had expected. We occupied Room 209 a suite which was faultless. The front door overlooked the manicured and well maintained golf course and the balcony overlooked a river with the beach and ocean beyond this. I would highly recommend this particular suite as it was extremely large. It had a a large hallway with a guest wc, lounge area with tv cabinet and French doors onto a large balcony that could also be accessed by French doors from the main bedroom. The patio had a dining table and chairs and two sun loungers which were very comfortable. The sofa converted into a double bed which my son said was very comfortable. Housekeeping converted it to a sofa by day and made it up into a bed when they did the turn down service every evening whilst we had dinner. The master bedroom was of an adequate size with a large and comfortable bed, bedside tables and a dressing table housing a hair dryer (a standard hotel hair dryer!) so you may like to take your own if you are fussy like me! The bathroom was huge and had a separate wc/bidet, a very nice large bath and a walk in shower, the pressure could have been a little better but it was nothing that would deter me from occupying this room again. There was a large walk in wardrobe with adequate storage and hanging space and a full length mirror. After a day or so we found a shortcut to the beach and La Maree restaurant where we had breakfast every day as this was included within our room type. The breakfast was al la carte and very nicely presented. Sadly the service was hit and miss and this would be my only criticism that the service was not consistent with the good/excellent service we received at the Belle Vue, The Chateu Mon Desir and Le Banyan. The food at all restaurants was of a very high standard. We ate lunch several days at Belle Vue and it was repetitive especially as we are vegetarians/fish eaters. Vimla was wonderful and kindly organised with the chef to make us vegetarian burgers which we very much appreciated and they were delicious. The guest relations team were always enquiring how our holiday was progressing and whether they could do anything for us. They advised the restaurants of our diet restrictions and made sure that there was always something we could eat whether it was already on the menu or made freshly prepared for us. Yashine took excellent care of us on the beach and always made sure that we had water and a decaf coffee at 4 o clock! The fridge in the room was always freshly stocked with water, soft drinks and fresh milk to make tea or coffee from a nespresso machine in the room. There was also a beach bag for use during our stay which had beach towels in it - a nice touch. The toiletries including bath salts were of a good quality. The water sports were also very good. Sadly the weather was inclement during our stay with torrential rain at times causing the hotel to become flooded - the staff worked tremendously hard to ensure the safety of all guests during this time. Incidentally there were also golf umbrellas in the room which we made good use of! We would certainly recommend this hotel. The staff for the most part are very welcoming and want you to have a lovely time, it is spotlessly clean and a very well maintained hotel with an excellent guest relations team. Thank you to everyone.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend Room 209 (suite)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank lisab65

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider your stay at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius as 'lovely'!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your helpful, detailed and useful feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to all our team members, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced.

We would like to thank you once again for your precious comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you and your family back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We recently returned from the Maritim - our second visit! It's honestly a great hotel offering value for money and we look forward to returning. I've read lots of the negative reviews on here and genuinely don't know what planet some people are on. However, a couple of useful points for you if you're heading there soon.
1 - ignore the weather forecasts. Twice now I've spent a lot of time worrying that it looks like we will get nothing but thunder storms. The week before we left I was obsessively checking every website until I found a forecast I liked. Ignore them all. The weather is great and even if its cloudy when you wake, the sun soon makes an appearance.
2. If you haven't reserved a sun lounger by 9am forget it. The beach is much easier to find a bed as people aren't as keen to swim in the sea as they are in a pool. In all honesty, set your alarm for 7.30am and get to the pool for 8 in order to reserve your choice of beds. 8.30 latest. Hang around a while and then head up for breakfast. There may be hotel policies in force to discourage holding beds but they aren't enforced in reality.
3. This is relevant to the above point! When you arrive, registration is very slick. You are immediately seated, greeted with cold towels and cocktails and there begins a lengthy checking in process of taking passports, credit cards and general chit chat about the hotel. If like me you arrive early after a night flight - dont sit there en famille enjoying this. As soon as you arrive, split up! One party does the check in, the other party finds the pool and gets some beds. You will note that most reviewers comment their rooms aren't ready when they arrive. The hotel is popular and often full. If you don't secure pool loungers straight away the reality is you have no where in the sun to decamp for the hours you are waiting for your room. Obviously there is a bar etc and a very good departure/arrival lounge but who wants to sit inside when they have just arrived in Mauritius? On a few days I watched various new families arrive who weren't so savvy and they literally had no where by the pool to dump towels and unwind whilst their kids played and swam. This is my main and probably only criticism of the hotel. Not enough sun loungers by the pool at all. As annoying as it is, you find yourself joining those bed hoggers because if not you loose out.
3. Small complaint. The pillows are too thick. Luckily I travelled with my own for the flight but the ones in the room give you neck ache. I saw in another review the hotel changed them when asked so its not necessarily a big deal.
4. Le Marie is excellent for lunch. All inclusive is covered here and it's much nicer to sit on the beach at lunch than in the main Restaurant. Small point to the management - the menu/pricing in the evening is really confusing!

Overall, I wholly recommend the hotel. Special mention to Vikash who is so so lovely and helpful. Book it now - just be prepared to sit on the beach or set your alarm!

• Stayed: February 2013
10  Thank klsy29
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!
I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Hotel and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

The entire team is glad that you enjoyed your stay and it met your expectations. We have taken good note of your valuable comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further.

Thank you once again for your review and lookinf forward to welcome you a third time on the Maritim Estate!

Yours truly,

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We spend some holidays there with our children and friends. Had an awesome time on the all-inclusive package. Kiddies enjoyed the mini club, the rooms we had were wonderful, the food was delicious with a wide variety so no risk to starve, the staff are very friendly and helpful, nice water sport activities, land sport activities and the evening entertainment is great. The best time was when my husband lost his wallet with all his cash, cards and driving licence in... that we realised on our departure. The hotel management assisted with filing a police report. Five days later the hotel got in touch with us to say that they found the lost wallet. And amazingly everything was still in there, absolutely nothing missing! Incredible. One of the places we will definitely go again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank IosLtd

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius like ‘Nice, Friendly and Elegant’!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays with your familly and also for your kind feedback.

Your gracious comments have been passed to our personnel, which will serve as an added inspiration to consistently maintain the high standards you have experienced, and which are one of the trademarks of our brand.

I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back with your loved one again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

First time on an all-inclusive (for a special birthday, with group age range from 2 to 70 so seemed easiest option), and I was a little nervous, but it was really lovely, and they made sure the birthday was really special, from the best table in the restaurant to a surprise in the room.

Lots of mostly free activities from waterskiing to tennis, mini-golf and real golf, yoga and pilates (Danny was a great teacher for the last two), horse-riding, petting zoo and giant tortoises for the kids and lovely large tropical gardens/grounds, complete with ruins and waterfall, to wander in.

Food at Chateau Mon Desir (which has a menu for AI guests at v reasonable supplement) is truly excellent, La Maree and the main buffet restaurant decent (breakfast excellent).

Staff were so welcoming, friendly and helpful, charming with kids even in the smart restaurant, and in the hotel -- even finding super-glue to mend broken glasses at one point.

Small downsides were the internet kept dropping out, it would come back very fast but made skyping hard (but then again it was free, which it isn't in many equivalent places). The sea is not so clear as some other beaches if it has been raining and a lot of earth is washed out of the river.

Would definitely recommend, particularly for families.

Room Tip: All the rooms have sea views I think, we enjoyed being higher up but ground floor rooms open straigh...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank chinafrances
Haje T, General Manager at Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to learn that you consider MARITIM Hotel Mauritius ‘Friendly and Relaxing’!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen the MARITIM Hotel Mauritius for your recent holidays and also for your helpful and useful feedback.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments as these will truly help us to monitor and improve our services and facilities even further. I trust you had a pleasant and safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back again to MARITIM Hotel Mauritius, or to any of our other resorts worldwide.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

After a long and heavy working week for a business trip in Mauritius, I had decided to treat myself and spend the week end in Maritim.
Warm and nice welcoming to start with. Then when checking at the front desk, I am announced a price higher than the agreed one. A 15 minutes discussion started on why they can't give me what was written on the confirmation letter! During this time the receptionist even took my phone with him to his manager' desk, not bothering to print the very same mail he had in his desktop.
Eventually I have been told the hotel would do me a favor and give me the agreed price... But had to wait an hour to get my room ready.
After that hour (left alone, no proposal for a drink or some water), I was given a room located at the other end of the resort. The room was small, dark and the bed a bit short but, well, overall ok as I did not plan to stay in the room during the day... Then I went to the bathroom and have been very badly surprised: the ceiling was falling apart (see picture), the tiny bathtube where enamel was missing was not clean, no water pressure and had to wait about 3 minutes to get hot water...
I heavily suspect staff and manager took some kind of revenge over the price dispute and gave me their worst room. Definitely very mean spirited and unacceptable in an hotel of this kind.
The restaurant and buffet were very good, though you would expect a real expreso and not a Nescafé bag when you order a caffeine free coffee at the beach bar.
Luckily the water, swimming pool and beach staff was really good.
Anyway I will never come back nor advise anyone to go there.
During my previous trip in Mauritius, I stayed at Hilton and I should have go back there again. They know what a client is and understand that when you pay high money you expect high value. The concept seem to have stayed at the entrance gate of Maritim.
Lesson learnt, next time I'll go to another place.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank RodrigueCZ

Thank you for your entry on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful to you for taking the time to pass on your much appreciated comments concerning your stay at MARITIM Hotel Mauritius.

Each of the incidents has been comprehensively reviewed with all concerned. It is certainly not the standard upon which we have built our reputation, or for which we strive.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments as it is mainly through guest comments that we become aware about improvements that should be made and this constantly drives us to excellence.

We sincerely hope we shall be able to regain your confidence, in so doing to prove that your experience was an exception rather than the rule.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our first time to Mauritius and at a Maritim Hotel and we didn’t know what to expect. From the moment we stepped foot into the resort we were made to feel very welcome, although a bit shell-shocked from the rather long flight, everything was explained to us re AI etc. We got there before our room was ready (as expected) and had use of the arrival/departure lounge, which is fantastic, to get changed and full use of all facilities. The room (Prestige) on top floor was excellent although the aircon went a bit dodgy after a few days and we requested a different room and were relocated without any trouble to a ground floor one that didn’t get so hot. The rooms get cleaned to an immaculate standard with fresh towels twice every day (although we would have preferred bigger towels and less changes), turn down in the evening etc. No worries about leaving phone or ipad on charge whilst being out of the room – we used the safe for passports and cash but could have left everything out on display and are 100% sure nothing would have gone missing. The only (very) small gripe about the rooms though is the rubbish hair dryer, a wired in thing where you have to keep the button pressed – every time I ended up with a sore thumb with the dryer cutting out and burning my hair and scalp – if you’re fussed about your hair, take your own dryer, I will next time.

The food – outstanding; whether the Belle Vue (Deven is a joy, a good laugh, very attentive and always there! – when does he sleep?) for standard AI or La Maree or the Chateau at extra charge if you haven’t got an upgraded room – it cannot be faulted. The service was generally outstanding – the odd time we had to wait 10 mins to order the first drink at the Quarter Deck but that was the exception rather than the rule. Vikash at the Quarter Deck is a gem. The service on the beach is outstanding if you’re in Yashine’s area – he’s a lovely guy and made the whole beach experience special; it is a must to get to know him as he is an extremely genuine person.

The beach sellers will come by every day but if you say no, they back off but they do have some nice sarongs, jewellery etc so don’t be put off looking, once you barter, the prices are similar/lower than in other places and you don’t have to miss out on your tan!

The wine is lovely but if you want chilled white wine, specify it, we had a few warm bottles – very minor detail but if you’re particular about it, mention it, it will be sorted. The beer is great, so are the cocktails – none of the stuff that gives you a bad headache.

Try to avoid the very expensive tour operators excursions – either have a look on the Mauritius excursion website beforehand and/or hire a taxi for the day via the hotel – they will take you exactly where you want to go and you will save lots of money.

Everything is very well kept, even the beach toilets which is rather rare. There are lots of activities included, archery (Hans was great), glass bottom boat to see the reefs… lots more but we were relaxing too much to try anything else but everything is available as the hotel describes. The real downside? We couldn’t stay long enough! Every member of staff worked exceptionally hard to ensure we had the best holiday ever - thank you to everyone at the Maritim, from the welcome team, concierge, guest communications, waitering staff, room attendants, chefs… simply everyone, and we can’t wait to book for next Christmas.

Room Tip: potentially a ground floor room during December
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank SMK13Coventry

Dear Valued Guest,
Greetings from MARITIM Hotel Mauritius!

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the Maritim Estate and sharing your views with other travellers on Trip Advisor.

Thank you for the beautifully worded review for us on this forum!

We look forward to welcoming you back again on the Maritim Estate!

Yours truly,
MARITIM Hotel Mauritius

Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
#1 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Sp...
#2 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
Angsana Balaclava Mauritius
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
#6 of 18 in Flic En Flac
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!