“Relaxing Holiday”

Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Balaclava
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have just returned from a 14 night stay at the Maritim. We got married here 10 years ago and were a bit apprehensive about returning in case it wasnt as we remembered. But we neednt of worried it hadnt changed apart from the bedrooms which have been upgraded and had a lovely large seperate shower and large free standing bath, and a very comfy huge bed. We ate in La Marree most nights as it was so relaxing eating down there. The beach is kept clean and the staff are very good. The low key music from various singers in the bar & restaurants was very pleasant. All in all we had a wonderful, relaxing holiday, exactly what we wanted from our holiday and are planning on returning next year.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank pbm1411
Write a ReviewReviews (3,613)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

From when we arrived, we were greeted by our friendly tour operators, our luggage was taken care of, and we were escorted to the bus which took us across the island to Maritim hotel. We arrived at the most beautiful location, served a welcome drink and ice towel (it was incredibly humid due to the tropical cyclone). Friendly staff made us feel welcome and delivered our luggage to our stunning room with a beautiful view of the bay, including complimentary "Just Married" sandals and congratulations letter from the Hotel. Our option included breakfast and dinners - anything you can think of to eat, was on the menu! We received a complimentary foot massage at the Hotel Spa which was fantastic, as well as a romantic dinner for two at Chateau Mon Desir five star restaurant. To our surprise we were upgraded to the Presidential suite on our third night at no extra cost. The Hotel has lots of activities to keep you entertained, including skiing, pedal boats, snorkeling, archery, golf, horse riding, just to name a few. Overall we had an incredible stay, Mauritius as a country is very scenic and picturesque with large mountain ridges, turquoise seas , palm trees and white sandy beaches. We rented a scooter from the Hotel and toured parts of the island, Port Louis waterfront and market and Grand Bay. We could definitely recommend Maritim Hotel as a honeymoon destination. We were very sad to leave!

2  Thank Jerry_can84
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We returned from a seven day trip to Mauritius and Maritim Hotel and our experience was not the expected. Even though the hotel is beautiful and its location is really good indeed, we found that it is way overpriced for the delivered services and there is much room for improvement.

The main pool bar was very nice.

Service on the beach was excellent and the beach itself was always clean.

We certainly like the location of La Maree Restaurant. We had breakfast once and dinner also once (there was only one available day unfortunately) and we enjoyed the food both times. Dinner was very good.

Moving on to the negative parts of our stay:

Our room was nice but the cleaning standards were not up to our expectations for a 5* hotel.

We had issues connecting to the Internet. Internet speed was fluctuating significantly during the day, which meant that on occasions it was too low even for e-mailing.

Beach towels: every time we had to wait for half an hour to get a pair as they were not readily available at the kiosks. We were being informed that "towels are not enough and are being washed now".

Belle vue (main Buffet restaurant): good set up of the restaurant, the selection of food was limited and the quality was mediocre. It was certainly overpriced and value for money was quite suboptimal! Bread was never fresh. Service was always very poor.
We also had dinner in Belle vue, the food was good but again, the service was very poor and there is very low value for money.

Even though I will never forget this vacation due to personal circumstances, I am in the unpleasant position to say that the services delivered by this hotel are within (and not exceeding!) those of a 4-star hotel. Interestingly, this hotel has disproportionately positive online reviews. However, I would certainly NOT recommend it as a 5-star hotel.

So what is UNFAIR here? Our daily room rate was almost 400 GBP per day and we were informed that the average salary was 200 GBP. Moreover, the hotel advises guests NOT to TIP the personnel. (Why?) With such a salary, locals can live but will never have the opportunity to study abroad or go on holidays. People have no chance to escape from this. I find it very unfair.

Room Tip: The "Prestige Room" is a very nice and spacious one.
6  Thank PrincessAndri
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Like the majority of travelers, my partner and I found that The Maritim was the perfect holiday for us in almost every way. I say almost because on arrival I felt really ill after the long journey from Manchester. The second day I felt worse and after seeing the hotel nurse she arranged for a doctor to call and see me in my hotel room. He and his nurse arrived very quickly and prescribed some antibiotics for my symptoms. I spent the next two days in my room feeling worse by the hour. Reception at the hotel kept ringing me for an update and seemed genuinely concerned for my well being. On the fourth day they rang for the doctor again as I wasn't feeling any better. Again he and his nurse arrived promptly and after examining me they took me to hospital in their ambulance. I was immediately X-rayed and it turned out that I had pneumonia. I spent the next four days in hospital on a drip. My care in the hospital was excellent and I couldn't have asked for more, always good to know when you are so far away from home. On return to The Maritim I was taken back by how many of the staff were asking after my well being. The only one that didn't seem to care was Virgin, they just wanted me on a plane back home as soon as possible, a flight upgrade or some oxygen would have made me more comfortable but they just weren't interested and as a result I took a turn for the worse again when I arrived back in Manchester. Maritim 5* - Virgin1* It's just a shame that I couldn't make more of the all inclusive package as I couldn't eat or drink and I only spent 1/2 of my 9 days at the resort.

Room Tip: Every room looks west over the Indian Ocean, ours 256 was at ground level so we couldn't see muc...
4  Thank Gary-owner
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I had a great stay at Maritim Mauritius. Great hotel at affordable price(for a 5*). Nice location too - North West. Not far from Port Louis and Grand bay. Great choice of foods, beer, wine and cocktails. Better to go for Fully Inclusive option. Would reccommend Maritim.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tjhmeyer
Reviewed January 30, 2013

After looking at many options all over Mauritius, I eventually chose Maritim because it is on the West side of Mauritius (less stormy and better weather) and all the positive Tripadvsor reviews.

We had the all inclusive option and it was worth every cent. The package gave us many options to eat at the various hotel restaurants and once you are at the resort, there is very little reason to leave it, unless you want to explore the island. Everything is there and is top quality.

The pools were idyllic, as was the ocean - warm and clear water. Hotel services were personal, but I have to make mention that Ms. Aurelie Bernard was absolutely exceptional in assisting us with a VERY welcome room uprgrade to one of the suites! She really went out of her way with us and even collected us from The Chatueu Restarant - which was simply perfect for a very romantic meal.

La Maree was also so good for lunch and dinners. Very romantic on the beach

Even though we stayed there in April 2012 on our Honeymoon, we often tell friends about the great stay there, the personal service and the amazing rooms.

Paulo E's comments below on his stay are very similar to ours - all the details are in it and it was good to read that the hotel is consistent with its customer care.

Oh yes, and do yourself a favor... visit the spa and enjoy the heavenly setting. Its head and shoulders above most spas we've been to.

Looking forward to going back there in a few years time!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Skyfall_Ryan
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here in August 2012 for our honeymoon. Our room was lovely; spacious and clean.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Lunchtime dining: The buffet food was very similar everyday so we ate at La maree. The food was good but the service was consistently appalling! We had to wait over an hour and a half for our food one day.

Evening dining:The buffet restaurant served very similar food each night; I would recommend the beach restaurant, La maree, but you need to book in advance as it gets very busy - we were there for 10 nights and we were only able to eat there twice! The service was fine in the evening (not like at lunch). The fine dining restaurant, Chateau mon Desir, was lovely. We had a complimentary meal here as part of the honeymoon package. It was so good we ate there again.

We had a spa treatment as part of our honeymoon package which was excellent so we booked another one! Our only complaint about the spa was that the pools were not heated and they were freezing (even the Jacuzzi!)

Overall we had a lovely and relaxing honeymoon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank hanrach109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balaclava
The Oberoi, Mauritius
Trou aux Biches Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne

Been to Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius? Share your experiences!