I have just returned from a 12 night "All Inclusive" break with my husband to the Maritim. When you approach the hotel you cannot fail to see how beautiful both the hotel and the extensive grounds are. The welcome by staff was warm, although being told that our room would not be ready for another hour was not the best of news after a twelve hour flight!! We were told to grab a bite in the buffet restaurant which we didn't particularly fancy - a shower and a change of clothes would have been preferable!!
The room we were taken to was fine - throughout our whole holiday it was serviced extremely well - always lovely and clean with a well stocked mini bar including milk for hot drinks, plenty of tea and coffee and a water supply that was more than adequately replenished.
With regards to the restaurants I feel this is where the hotel lets itself down. The only fully all inclusive restaurant is The Bellevue, Here although the food is adequate it is not great. A reasonably good choice, although the bias is towards Indian cooking - some of which is good ,some soso.It is a buffet which I don't mind but we often found that the service was quite lacking. It is a busy restaurant, but this doesn't excuse the fact that often the tables were not laid properly- we would be shown to one, told to get a plate of food and that the table would be ready on our return. This often wasn't the case and we would end up with food and nothing to eat it with!! The drinks service was also fairly poor on occasion. Sometimes we had almost finished our meal before the wine and water arrived .
There are then two other restaurants - The Banyan and La Maree for which you receive some credit if you are all inclusive. We tried both but have to say that although it was nice to have a change of both food and scenery, they simply weren't good enough to warrant the extra money paid. We have been to several other all inclusive hotels around the world where these type of restaurants would have just been part of the package. After all they are not "fine dining", just different. However, their "fine dining" experience at Chateau Mon Desir was a totally different experience. My husband booked it to celebrate my Birthday and all in all we had a lovely evening. The food for the most part was good (again not outstanding) the ambience lovely and wonderful service. The downside was the extortionate prices on their wine list. We paid approx £50 for a really average bottle of red wine, but heyho you only have a birthday once a year!! The only point that soured the evening slightly was due to a very rowdy group of Russians who seemed to think that they owned the place!! They firstly showed absolutely no respect for the hotels dress code - all the men turning up in scruffy jeans and T shirts and what can I say about the women??!!!They obviously had money to burn seeing the vast amount of champagne they were consuming and we began to think that this is why the restaurant staff were turning a blind eye to their behaviour?! We both feel sure that if we had turned up looking the way they did, we would have been turned away - I hope not!
With regards to the beach - it is just ok. The staff do their best to keep it clean (although loads of flies) - it just isn't one of the greatest. There is still the problem with the towels left on empty sunbeds- although the hotel tries to discourage it, but this still goes on everywhere. If you want a stunning beach I would suggest to people going to Flic en Flac which is in the South west of the island (we stayed there before -8 years ago} and it is stunning.
With regards to the entertainment- again not great. Very low key although some of the music very good, but sometimes it would have been nice to have had something with a bit more oomph!!
Reading this through I am a little surprised at how negative I sound!! We still enjoyed a good holiday- we always do as holidays are very precious to us! I just think that the hotel didn't quite live up to our expectations of a 41/2 or 5 star hotel - we have certainly been to better and probably will not return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava