After looking at many many hotels in Mauritius we chose the Maritim as the venue for our wedding on the 31st May and I really dont think we could have made a better choice. On one of the trips out we got a chance to look at a number of the local hotels, including Le Victoria (which my brother and sister in law were staying at) and The Maritim beat them all hands down in terms of the facilities and the beauty of the hotel itself. None of the brochure pictures I have seen really do the hotel justice.
The only grumble I have at this hotel is the food available to vegetarians.......there basically isn't any! I remember one day asking what the vegetarian options for dinner were and being pointed towards chips and some boiled cauliflower! Certainly not 5 star quality food! The meat and fish eaters get oysters and a wide selection of expensive meat and fish dishes.....and we vegetarians get chips! We went as a group of 15 people with the majority of us being vegetarian, with the added complexity of my in-laws refusing to eat anything apart from Indian vegetarian food. Fortunately we spoke to one of the chefs (Ramjug) and he was more than happy to accomodate our requirements and produced a selection of indian dishes for my in laws every night and European vegetarian dishes for myself and my husband. However, this did mean we had to decide what we wanted in advance and ask the chef to make it. This was a shame as meat and fish eaters had over 20 dishes to choose from every night and we weren't given the same variety yet had to pay the same amount. From what I have heard though, all the hotels are equally poor at catering for vegetarians.
The reason we picked the Maritim is that my husband in Hindu and wanted a Hindu ceremony as well as a wedding. The Maritim was able to organise both for us easily. PLEASE NOTE: We booked our wedding package through Virgin and I cannot recommend more strongly AGAINST anyone using Virgin as they were utterly useless. I ended up liaising directly with the hotel to arrange everything as every single thing we asked of Virgin was too much trouble, even down to the most basic details of booking a vegetarian meal on the plane they failed at completely and couldn't possibly have been any LESS helpful. When I called Virgin to ask if they were able to arrange a Hindu wedding I was told this was something their wedding department could do after we booked with them........but their wedding department does NOT organise weddings.....they merely send you a letter telling you to contact the hotel if you want to arrange anything. They didn't lift a finger towards organising the wedding! Go with Destinology instead if you don't want to stress of having to plan every tiny detail yourself!
Anyway, back to the hotel! the rooms in this hotel have been recently renovated and are of a very high standard. We originally booked a Priviledge room but were upgraded on arrival to a Prestige Room......but when we had a problem with the air conditioning leaking we got moved to a suite which was really lovely, very spacious and overlooking the beautiful beach.
We had our wedding at 12 in the Chateau Mon Desir overlooking the ruins and the waterfall which was really lovely and the Hindu ceremony at sunset in the beach gazebo. The hotel arranged everything we needed from the white horse and sword for the Hindu ceremony to the bouquets and buttonholes for the wedding. the Wedding Co-ordinator Madhvi was excellent and really bent over backwards to meet our needs.
At all times we found the staff to be very attentive and helpful and they always bent over backwards to make sure everyone had a fantastic time. All 17 of us absolutely loved it here, are missing it already, and would love to come back again one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius is ideally situated on the sunniest and sheltered northwest of the island along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay. It covers an estate of 25 hectares and offers an exclusive array of experiences. The hotel, framed by a tropical garden, features 215 luxurious ocean facing rooms, suites and a Villa, free WiFi, 3 bars, 1 international buffet restaurant and 5 ‘à la carte’ restaurants, including one ‘feet in the sand’, an Asian fusion, a BBQ beach beer, Lakaz Kreol for an authentic Mauritian feel and the fine dining restaurant Château Mon Désir an exceptional colonial style mansion house overlooking historical vestiges of the 18th century. Well-being is taken care of by its multi-awarded Maritim Tropical Flower Spa offering exclusive treatments and stunning wellness facilities on 3,500 sqm. An infinite range of land and water sports are available free of charge including a 9-hole and an equestrian centre. Special care is taken of the little ones wit ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava